Just a general question :)

So I finally bogged down on a character and getting his backstory and such worked out, I did just have a question on leveling my first job. I've heard both arguements and see what you guys think. Should I be doing as many side quests as possible or should I just do my hunting log and MSQ? Me personally I hate having quest markers on my screen but Ive heard if you do all the sidequest you will out level everything by quiet a bit. So I'm just wondering if this is true or should I go ahead and do all the side quest 

These days, even just mostly doing your MSQ will get you outleveling a lot of content 1-60, especially if you're doing any daily roulettes for experience.

The biggest hurdle I usually see people have is getting their Grand Company rank up as you will have a much higher level/msq completion rate than expected and you may need to grind some FATEs or do Company Levequests to rank it up to a point that you can do provisioning/turn-ins for ease.

If you do all the 2.0/3.0/4.0 side quests, you will definitely outpace things. Not particularly bad if you have later expansion content, but they can also be a nice break from the main story or to give to alt classes/jobs for leveling. The side quests in 5.0 content all level sync, which makes them handy for any use.

I don't see a problem with outleveling content.  That's not to say there isn't one; maybe there are factors I, as a newish player, am unaware of.

The side quests provide so many lore tidbits that I don't think a roleplayer can afford to skip.  Wading through every form of content and dialogue there is in-game is one of the few ways that exist to learn about how things are on Hydaelyn.  Other ways include reading the two Encyclopedia Eorzea volumes cover to cover and browsing Sounsyy's lore index.

• 1 month later...
On 8/17/2019 at 2:36 PM, Telin Zulin said:

So I finally bogged down on a character and getting his backstory and such worked out, I did just have a question on leveling my first job. I've heard both arguements and see what you guys think. Should I be doing as many side quests as possible or should I just do my hunting log and MSQ? Me personally I hate having quest markers on my screen but Ive heard if you do all the sidequest you will out level everything by quiet a bit. So I'm just wondering if this is true or should I go ahead and do all the side quest 

For me, I started a new character about a month ago and feel like doing the side quests was a mistake for me, because of the time consumed and unnecessary amount of EXP.

By the time my MSQs were at lv 30 or so, my character was over level 40, and even after I stopped doing side-quests entirely after 40, I'm still always 10 levels higher than my MSQ even up to level 70!

Also the ARR MSQ is pretty boring until much later on like the level 50 MSQs from the Patch that I think the story finally gets spiced up, so I think doing all the side quests contributes to burnout and loss of interest in the game's actual story, if you prefer faster-paced story.

But the biggest reason I regret doing the side-quests, at least the pre-lv 15 sidequests, is because now leveling my other jobs without any quests for them, takes very long compared to my main job.

On the other hand, some side quests can have some nice reward or some mildly interesting side story to it. Such as the one in Aleport which gives you a puppy and kitten minion. So far I haven't seen any side quests that were actually "important" though.

I would still do the blue + sign quests which unlock things, though.

Edited by Kohagura
  • 4 weeks later...

Like others have said - you really only NEED to do the MSQ quests, especially if your objective is to get through the MSQ as quickly as possible.

Quests with the blue + marker are highly recommended also, because they contain important content (such as unlocking dungeons).

Beyond that... if you're having fun doing side quests, then have fun!