Legacy vs Non-Legacy Players

Kyatai

This might have been answered before, but I honestly don't know where to look, so... real quick:

I'm working under the assumption that ONLY Legacy players were 'sent from the fall of Dalamud to now' and the rest of us are just survivors of the Fall. Is that correct?

If so (or even if not)... do we have any details as to how the dragon was defeated and why... Eorzea still exists and is not a blackened wasteland? I mean... if the 12 gods couldn't stop Bahamut, how was he locked up or killed? How is it 'we' survived when clearly, it was expected that no one would (ergo the "hero rapture")?

As far as most people seem to be concerned, anyone who wants can be thrown through time. If you're not legacy and want to make the skip, go ahead! No one can stop you!

As for where Bahamut went... it's not entirely clear. I heard somewhere the Garleans might have picked up and relocated him, but I have nooo idea how that happened, so I'd wait for more info on that from others. Either way, Bahamut was not defeated in the interim.

*nods* I mean as far as game lore... or are all players considered to have been 'taken from the past'? I know Legacy get neck tats to signify their status...was wondering if it was more than that. That that tat 'marked' those taken from the past... whereas the rest of us survived and are "five years older"?

Edit:

Xenedra posted as I did. Thanks for the clarification! :D

In regards to the lore, people who were in 1.0 (legacy or not) and followed the storyline through are referred to as the "Warriors of Light". Characters just starting their journey in 1.0 are considered blessed by Hydaelyn and many NPCs elude to these new heros as the second coming of the warriors of light. The people who got time warped have been turned into something of myths and legend because the Calamity caused much of the realm to forget exactly who the warriors of light were, they just know they existed. I think it can be said that only the people who were at the Battle of Carteneu were warped away, while others blessed with the echo from 1.0 (our character who didn't get warped and some NPCs) stayed and lived out the 5 years. It's insinuated that those who were blessed with the echo and who stayed are able to remember the warriors of light who got teleported, and a major NPC eludes to this in ARR. hope that helped any!

Edit: I'm unsure if the tat marks signifies that a character is from the past or not or if that's something exclusive to legacy players. Perhaps we can get someone who is in beta from 1.0 who wasn't legacy to confirm this tho.

In regards to the lore, people who were in 1.0 (legacy or not) and followed the storyline through are referred to as the "Warriors of Light". Characters just starting their journey in 1.0 are considered blessed by Hydaelyn and many NPCs elude to these new heros as the second coming of the warriors of light. The people who got time warped have been turned into something of myths and legend because the Calamity caused much of the realm to forget exactly who the warriors of light were, they just know they existed. I think it can be said that only the people who were at the Battle of Carteneu were warped away, while others blessed with the echo from 1.0 (our character who didn't get warped and some NPCs) stayed and lived out the 5 years. It's insinuated that those who were blessed with the echo and who stayed are able to remember the warriors of light who got teleported, and a major NPC eludes to this in ARR. hope that helped any!

Edit: I'm unsure if the tat marks signifies that a character is from the past or not or if that's something exclusive to legacy players. Perhaps we can get someone who is in beta from 1.0 who wasn't legacy to confirm this tho.

As far as the game is concerned any character from 1.0, whether you are level 1 or level 50 are treated as if you were at the Battle of Carteneau and were teleported to the future. I only had a level 1 character from 1.0, so when the legacy servers came up I logged in to see if there was a difference and I got a different opening where my character was teleported and entered the city. Likewise he also had the legacy mark on the back of his neck between his shoulder blades, so based on this the game makes no distinction on how far you progressed in the previous story, only whether or not you were a 1.0 character.

Edit: I'm also not a Legacy Player, I just have a "Legacy" Character so the tats are not only for people who got the promotion, it's for EVERY character from 1.0.

As far as most people seem to be concerned, anyone who wants can be thrown through time. If you're not legacy and want to make the skip, go ahead! No one can stop you!

As for where Bahamut went... it's not entirely clear. I heard somewhere the Garleans might have picked up and relocated him, but I have nooo idea how that happened, so I'd wait for more info on that from others. Either way, Bahamut was not defeated in the interim.

For those wondering what that thing was that the Garleans were shown carrying through the sky. I'll let you know it was not Bahamut, and leave it at that.

As far as it goes, I'd like to think the legacy tattoo is in fact a mark placed upon characters who were time skipped. By what means I don't know. I'd almost consider it more of an unnatural branding than a "tattoo", personally. One can always play off the toggling aspect by saying that it fades in and out from time to time, etc~

I know Endemerrin will always have his on, though.

As far as it goes, I'd like to think the legacy tattoo is in fact a mark placed upon characters who were time skipped. By what means I don't know. I'd almost consider it more of an unnatural branding than a "tattoo", personally. One can always play off the toggling aspect by saying that it fades in and out from time to time, etc~

I know Endemerrin will always have his on, though.

Oh god, we're L'Cie. Better save the planet before we turn to zombie Cei'th :|

I don't even see a reason for toggling it off, for one it's a cool mark that sets you a part from the new heroes joining the fight (without giving any benefit to unbalance things), and almost every armor beyond maybe a subligar or the heat resistant clothing will cover it up. To be honestly, they couldn't have put it in a worse place if they wanted people to actually show it off.

As far as the game is concerned any character from 1.0, whether you are level 1 or level 50 are treated as if you were at the Battle of Carteneau and were teleported to the future. I only had a level 1 character from 1.0, so when the legacy servers came up I logged in to see if there was a difference and I got a different opening where my character was teleported and entered the city. Likewise he also had the legacy mark on the back of his neck between his shoulder blades, so based on this the game makes no distinction on how far you progressed in the previous story, only whether or not you were a 1.0 character.

Edit: I'm also not a Legacy Player, I just have a "Legacy" Character so the tats are not only for people who got the promotion, it's for EVERY character from 1.0.

Ack. Really? I'm a bit concerned now as my 1.0 character got the same opening as all the beta characters I've made. She's also stuck as the job I logged in as unless I do the quests.

Hopefully I'll get the "legacy" cutscene in phase 4 if I'm meant to.

For those wondering what that thing was that the Garleans were shown carrying through the sky. I'll let you know it was not Bahamut, and leave it at that.

QFT. I wasn't referring to that either, thanks for playing interference : P

Ack. Really? I'm a bit concerned now as my 1.0 character got the same opening as all the beta characters I've made. She's also stuck as the job I logged in as unless I do the quests.

I also sorta am concerned, but I think it is just Ashren's wording. I signed on my Legacy character and made another new character on another server. That one was in a different town/starting area: I think that is where the confusion lies ("...I got a different opening where my character was teleported and entered the city.") I mean, it could definitely be read like that.

I didn't notice any tattoo mark on my Legacy character, but I was not looking for one. (And he was dressed.)

And yes, cutscenes and NPCs seem to "hint" that any player seems to be a "chosen one of light", at least from my personal attempt of signing on my Legacy and creating a new character on a different server, but I got farther in Limsa Lominsa than Gridania to see certain cut-scenes.

At least, that's my take on it.

[Update Edit: Guess I was wrong on the interpretation as shown by Ashren Snow's reply below. ]

I haven't seen any official word on it yet, but a lot of people on the beta forums were saying it was a bug and that come phase 4/launch all 1.0 characters should receive the "legacy" opening.

Edit: And just to clarify, I have a non-legacy character that I started in Ul'dah who got the opening where you ride to the city on the chocobo caravan, I then transfered my 1.0 character when they opened the legacy servers and started that character in Ul'dah as well just to reference the two openings and see if they were different and the legacy opening I got was definitely different from the standard one. As I mentioned above, not everyone got this (in fact I have a friend with a lvl 20 legacy character who just got the stock opening as well) which is why most people believe it's a bug.

I haven't seen any official word on it yet, but a lot of people on the beta forums were saying it was a bug and that come phase 4/launch all 1.0 characters should receive the "legacy" opening.

Edit: And just to clarify, I have a non-legacy character that I started in Ul'dah who got the opening where you ride to the city on the chocobo caravan, I then transfered my 1.0 character when they opened the legacy servers and started that character in Ul'dah as well just to reference the two openings and see if they were different and the legacy opening I got was definitely different from the standard one. As I mentioned above, not everyone got this (in fact I have a friend with a lvl 20 legacy character who just got the stock opening as well) which is why most people believe it's a bug.

Ah, thanks for shedding some light on it. Good to know it wasn't just a few people that've had this happen.

The tattoo isn't particularly useful to me as I'm playing my character as a newcomer, but it would still be cool to have even if it's covered or disabled most of the time.

The Legacy Mark actually won't show up unless you accomplish two things. First off, you need to have your upper back exposed if you want to visibly see it, as the mark is located right below the base of your neck. Secondly, you need to toggle it on from the start. The command is /legacymark on

Now while most gear covers it up, there's a few things you can do to expose it. One being just taking your shirt off. Any gear that does expose that area of skin will show the mark, though. For example you might see bits of it through a harness if you're wearing one, and coatees on females have bits showing through some of the lace.

Far as the legacy cutscene goes, seemed kinda wonky for me personally. 1.0 Endemerrin got the legacy cutscene, which was really neat, but my other legacy character didn't recieve it.

The Legacy Mark actually won't show up unless you accomplish two things. First off, you need to have your upper back exposed if you want to visibly see it, as the mark is located right below the base of your neck. Secondly, you need to toggle it on from the start. The command is /legacymark on

Now while most gear covers it up, there's a few things you can do to expose it. One being just taking your shirt off. Any gear that does expose that area of skin will show the mark, though. For example you might see bits of it through a harness if you're wearing one, and coatees on females have bits showing through some of the lace.

Far as the legacy cutscene goes, seemed kinda wonky for me personally. 1.0 Endemerrin got the legacy cutscene, which was really neat, but my other legacy character didn't recieve it.

Good info!

I have heard (though cannot confirm) that the cutscene is specific to having completed all of the storyline up to (and probably including) the "Living on a Prayer" quest in 1.0.  This seems to mesh up with what I've heard from other folks who have or have not done that.

I like that the mark itself is subtle but being a long-haired character would have preferred a different location or a few different options, but regardless it is a neat little thing and has a lot of potentially interesting uses within RP (e.g. - "The prisoner is probably one of the hollow ones, check her for the mark!")

This is also what I mean by it being concealed by the long hair, if anyone is interested to see - you can only make out a little of the bottom of the mark:

Eva_mark.png

I have heard (though cannot confirm) that the cutscene is specific to having completed all of the storyline up to (and probably including) the "Living on a Prayer" quest in 1.0.  This seems to mesh up with what I've heard from other folks who have or have not done that.

I received the "1.0" cutscene for my old character, and she never completed To Kill a Raven. She had completed everything up until that point, though.

I'll be curious how this all unfolds as well, i completed missed out on the actual legacy signup stuff so i really dont know for sure what beginning awaits my old 1.0 character.

If i miss out on something then that will be a bummer but I'll make the most of it since either way its like an all new game and i'll be enjoying my adventures regardless.

I am actually getting a bit worried, since it may be likely progress from this phase transfers over to the next...and then to launch. I also checked myself and yep: I have a tat! So that is that! :D

But onto my concern: I am thinking we who have seen an intro won't be seeing a new one. I think the game won't pony-up and re-start us over. I may be wrong. It would be odd if it did and I'd have to re-sign on with various Class guilds once more....although the "free XP" would be nice in a sense as I reworked previous crafting classes and upped my main class (and supporting ones) by re-doing quests.

But again, I don't see that happening.  :/