Your character(s) irrational fears

Ihsan997

Irrational fears are a common quirk many of us have, so how does this affect your character(s)? Think of the things they shouldn’t be afraid of, yet still are. Keep in mind that actual dangers like poisonous snakes don’t count because those types of fears are perfectly rational. This thread is for the things which don’t entirely make sense to be afraid of.

HARD MODE: write the post in-character!

I’ll start us off with my two characters...

Thilo: “The ocean. I’m afraid of the ocean. Not of drowning or sharks specifically, but the entire ocean. It’s silly, I know; thousands of people sail every single day, and most of the are fine. But the idea that there’s a whole other world down there, with things I couldn’t even imagine swimming beneath me where I can’t see what’s coming, terrifies me. I never relax for one minute when I’m aboard a boat.”

Vrez: “I’ve always been startled by doors being slammed near to me. I suppose...I suppose that I only need to be worried if I stick my hand through the doorway, but it’s not like that. Even if I’m a few feet away, the act of a door being shut with force makes me lose focus on everything else. Sometimes I imagine that my toes or ears are being slammed in a door for no reason; I’ve even felt phantom pain before.”

(OOC: Thilo is correct, the ocean is terrible and it should be feared. This sounds neat, though. Let me give it a whirl!)

Talha: "I'm not afraid of airships. It's not my fault I'm the only one who sees them for the deathtraps they are. Floating up there... like they don't have a care in the world! Well, what if one of those balloons pops a leak, or a wing breaks off? Now who's irrational? I'm not irrational, you're irrational for not finding anything wrong with just floating through the air on a bit of wood!"

Elaris: " Well I can't say I'm scared of most things, I'm a very brave individual. I got to brave it out for the lads that be depend'n on me and the like, it is the way I sees it.  I do fear loss of my brother though, family means much to me, as it should for most out there. I do often have the fear of betrayal, I had been let down in the past by few folks so to let it happen again bothers me, some. It can be scary to have these trust issues, but I can not let it continue for much longer.  "

Thyren: " I fear rejection, I guess. I do not like the idea of somebody turning me down for a nice conversation because I'm too used to it. I grew up in a community that constantly shunned the person that I was and here... I ramble of course. Bringin' up the past like anyone gives a damn, aye it is a fear that just angers me really. I could continue, but I'd rather not bring that up over and over as it is the past.  It is funny though, as a voidsent hunter. I fear them, I fear what they did to me and yet I continue this fight; But that is because I do have a few that be dependin on me. "

• 6 months later...

Vikohla: "Sorry if I come off as a little clingy at times, my family helped me to overcome the trauma I suffered during The Calamity but I guess a certain amount of separation anxiety still runs in the background of my mind. Ever notice how I react when certain people seem to be heading towards an exit? And I say something like 'oh, are you leaving?' That's where it stems from. Same goes for my penchant for looping an arm through other people's. It's a mostly benign quirk, but one I have to keep an eye on. I don't want such a trait evolving into being possessive or poisonously paranoid, that would just end up pushing people away and I can do without that flavour of irony in my life."

Madame Pholnaset: "You don't understand, I can't return home. Not like this. Not as... whatever it is I've become. I couldn't bear facing my parents, to see the loving expectation in their eyes as they embrace a shadow of the child they once knew. Viridian was right, I'm a mockery of everything Phalloria sought to become. I'm a fraudkin! My masks have masks of their own, and the truth of me is buried so deep in denial that even my fleeting imitation of conscience is pressed to find it. If you truly are my friend please leave me to my sorrow so you can remember me in a fonder light." 

Joribri: "--perhaps the natives of Eorzea have information on tempering we yet lack. Rest assured I won't let it endanger my assignments, I simply wish to allay the fear that I'm a sleeper agent waiting to be puppeteered by my traitorous father. And if our worst fear is confirmed.. well.. you know what's expected of you. You know what I expect of you."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Galvan is terrified of Morbols mainly because of how many Bad Breaths he had to endure as an adventurer. One of which landed him bedridden for a week.

He hates being cooped up indoors too, especially when sick or injured. He's always been more fond of the outdoors and hates the feeling of being confined in a small space for long periods of time. If he's sick or injured and has to take 'bed rest' he will, naturally ignore it and try to get outside. One time at the Crystarium he jumped out of the balcony after being stricken with a cold (it didn't work and Y'Shtola had to have someone watching him after that incident) and in a less humorous one, a few days after waking up after his fight with Zenos, Galvan did attempt to leave Ishgard but could only manage a few steps past his bed before collapsing.

His claustrophobia only worsened after the fights against Titan and the infamous landslides that 'killed' him

Edited by Dark Dranzer
  • 2 months later...

Narengal: "My... worst fear, yes?" She took a moment to think about it, despite knowing her answer, "Losing Izumi. I... would have no where to go without her, yes. She gave me a home when I came to this land by... becoming my home." The xaela smiled warmly as she talked about the woman, her tail swaying softly, "I could not imagine a world without her in it."

Helaine: The dragoon sips her wine, sighing dramatically, "Fire, if you must know. It's.. odd being a dragoon with that fear, but let's just say I'm very thankful the Song is over." Helaine rubbed the burn scars that covered the right side of her face, a nervous tick, "You don't get lit on fire while... living and not take something from that experience to heart. Though, for me, it simply makes me fight more disparately." Another sip, "Dangerous for both me and my enemy, really."

• 1 month later...

Welp, mine has too many:

Saloli is a cowardly bean and he's is afraid:

-of flying.

-that the water in Ul'dah might turn his head into a frog head.

-that he'll always be alone.

-that he won't survive most dungeons.

-that it's likely a bad thing happening when he gets surrounded by magic, even if it's healing magic.

I'll leave it there. XD

Sidismund frowns at you over his tankard, twisting it slightly as he ponders. "My fears?" He finally asks, hesitant for only a moment more before taking a great swig and slamming his tankard onto the table. "FINE THEN!" He bellows with the joy only a drunk can muster. "But next round is on you." He slides hurls his now empty container over the edge of your table and closes his eyes.

Right after the silence becomes awkward, he speaks. His voice timid enough that the blush on his cheeks might not just be from all the alcohol he's already had. "I had long hair once." He finally confides. "Braided, glorious, red. It was... Well, more of this!" He ruffles his own hair. "So you see how amazing it was. But then there was this one lass, crook who went by Stormlink. Name like that, we thought she was full of hot air. And she was, despite her tricks. Channeled Aether through chains somehow, to give them an electric charge. Thought I'd dodged her hail mary." He shakes his head dramatically. "Thrice-blasted chains caught in my braids. Ruined an otherwise clean operation to take down a self-aggran... Aggran... Aggrandizing fop!"

He looks to his empty hand questioningly, as if wondering where his tankard went, then shrugs and goes on, tone much subdued.

"Cut my hair the next day. Still haven't lived it down. Been afraid ever since. Long hair. Floppy clothes. Capes." He scoffs. "Pride cometh before the fall, and the fall is terrifying indeed."

EDIT: Okay maybe not so much irrational, as slightly over the top, but figured it'd qualify with how far he takes it, and how slim the odds are for it to be an actual issue.

Edited by Sidismund Redwyne