Gilgamesh unofficial RP server?

Info Info Info!

There are THREE servers that RP people have talked about being on, one here and two on the Beta forums.

Gilgamesh - the ones that is listed here as the alternate RP server until Balmung becomes available. I've not heard anything on the Beta forums saying they are going to roll on Gilgamesh for RP. It seems, the server is only discussed here on the RPC as an option

Behemoth - has a LOT of traction in the Beta forums, as there is already an RP group from the Beta forums moving there (I was invited, but passed). I think if those people new about the vote on the RPC (Which we should probably tell them, maybe I will in the appropriate thread) they would definitely vote Behemoth. I think there is 20 or so of them, there website is: animounted.net if you want to look them over. Be warned: The Behemoth thread in the Beta there were a lot of people talking about how they didn't want RPers on their and they would harass them, just something you should know before voting.

For those in Beta, the relevant thread: http://forum.square-enix.com/ARR-Test/threads/28462-Roleplay-Discussion-Beta-and-onwards.

The harassment of those on Behemoth thread: http://forum.square-enix.com/ARR-Test/threads/47135-Alternative-RP-server-Behemoth%21

Leviathan - I'm not sure where this server came from but a lot of people in a different beta thread (So segmented I swear) were talking about rolling on Leviathan.

The relevant thread where Leviathan is brought up at some point: http://forum.square-enix.com/ARR-Test/threads/35979-Roleplay-Discussion-New-Server-Edition

Info Info Info!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Took a look at that thread and just wow...

Edit: Now going through the entire thread I noticed there is a link back to one of our own threads by a not so pleasant individual from the posts he's made here. Now I understand there isn't anything we can really do about it but I did think it was worth mentioning.

Yeah, as much as I wish people luck who don't want to play on Balmung. Perhaps Behemoth isn't the place to do it if they're going to be harassed like that. Either way, I wish them the best. It's a shame those people who are trashing them so hard in that thread can be so narrow minded.

*sighs and shakes head*

Seems like what might turn out to be nothing but another attempt at an rp server with one guild that rps amongst itself mainly in private chat in order to avoid harassment (Tera anyone?). Thanks but no thanks.

I'll pass and wait to cast my vote for Gilgamesh. At least the fact that there is rp happening there now in beta can get those who dislike rp to avoid it.

(and just to let everyone know I have no issue with wanting to play on Balmung I just want to help a new rp server thrive. I honestly hope those who don't want to play on Balmung come to a consensus on an agreed non legacy server)

Yeah the biggest problem I'm seeing is there is no consensus. I have no vested interesting in a nonlegacy server as I'm just rolling my new character on Balmung, but since there is GOING to be one, I would like to see it you know... actually work. It would be the biggest shame to see the people who want to start fresh seperate themselves and then the community never gets off the ground

Here's another thread that mention Leviathan: http://forum.square-enix.com/ARR-Test/threads/50517-How-many-people-will-be-role-playing/page2

In that thread I actually told them they really need to come to a consensus xD

So from what I am getting here most of the RPC members are heading to Balmung? 

If so can some of the newer players(non 1.0ers) tell me why they feel the legacy members wont have such a big impact on their play? (just want to see how some of the newer players feels so I can try and decide if I should go balmung or not)

How legacy players won't effect me?

Well, my reasoning is uh... kind of selfish and somewhat snotty :P The biggest reason I don't think Balmung legacy's will effect me is because there will be more of us than them. The Legacy RPers will have to adapt to the influx of new members or get left in the dust. The Beta forums was, at one point, trying to figure out how many people are actually "Legacy" but the most they could do was look up at the characters on XIVPADS. I think the number was 50,000 - 60,000. Total. That is TINY. On XIVPads there are 6,100 characters on Balmung, which ACTUALLY is not too bad so go Balmung. But the amount of those that roleplay may be in the low 100's. 100-200 people, if that. The core people who were really ingrained in heavy rp? Probably 30-40. Popular characters? 10-20. This numbers aren't scary numbers! SE is projecting much much bigger numbers of newbies than that. It's almost like a reset for Legacy players too. 90% of the people rolling on that server won't know who there characters are, or care. They have to prove themselves all over again.

Sure, they could stick to their little legacy group if they wanted, but they would become background noise if they did. Maybe they are okay with that, I don't know. But Legacy RPers are a nonissue.

Now we can talk about economy and server firsts or whatever, but right now I'm just specefically talking about the RP side of things

Info Info Info!

There are THREE servers that RP people have talked about being on, one here and two on the Beta forums.

Gilgamesh - the ones that is listed here as the alternate RP server until Balmung becomes available. I've not heard anything on the Beta forums saying they are going to roll on Gilgamesh for RP. It seems, the server is only discussed here on the RPC as an option

Behemoth - has a LOT of traction in the Beta forums, as there is already an RP group from the Beta forums moving there (I was invited, but passed). I think if those people new about the vote on the RPC (Which we should probably tell them, maybe I will in the appropriate thread) they would definitely vote Behemoth. I think there is 20 or so of them, there website is: animounted.net if you want to look them over. Be warned: The Behemoth thread in the Beta there were a lot of people talking about how they didn't want RPers on their and they would harass them, just something you should know before voting.

For those in Beta, the relevant thread: http://forum.square-enix.com/ARR-Test/threads/28462-Roleplay-Discussion-Beta-and-onwards.

The harassment of those on Behemoth thread: http://forum.square-enix.com/ARR-Test/threads/47135-Alternative-RP-server-Behemoth%21

Leviathan - I'm not sure where this server came from but a lot of people in a different beta thread (So segmented I swear) were talking about rolling on Leviathan.

The relevant thread where Leviathan is brought up at some point: http://forum.square-enix.com/ARR-Test/threads/35979-Roleplay-Discussion-New-Server-Edition

Info Info Info!

Also going to add my two cents in: As a fairly new member here, I also did some googling to remember the RP server : I was on Besaid but forgot and I also forgot about the merge or wasn't around for that.

So current googling came up with Leviathan and Behemoth. More cross-checking lead me to believe Behemoth might be an RP-target, although there was some evidence, via google, for Leviathan. I did put an alt on each one, but admittedly haven't played much on those: Coming into Gridania at a late hour after character creation, I did not see many people around.

So, as a "newbie" I was coming up with hits on Behemoth and Leviathan but I also like to state the very first time I heard of Gilgamesh was when I started lurking these forums not too long ago.

And actually, just for a theory, I am apt to believe its always been "Behemoth" as a server and somehow people forgot the name and thought, "It's that server that is named after something that is Big and Hulking....I know! Leviathans are Big and Hulking! (Well, so are Behemoths!:dodgy: )." So that may be a probable reason some people think Leviathan is the RP server: They are confusing it with the Behemoth name. Again, just a hunch/theory.

So from what I am getting here most of the RPC members are heading to Balmung? 

If so can some of the newer players(non 1.0ers) tell me why they feel the legacy members wont have such a big impact on their play? (just want to see how some of the newer players feels so I can try and decide if I should go balmung or not)

How legacy players won't effect me?

Well, my reasoning is uh... kind of selfish and somewhat snotty :P The biggest reason I don't think Balmung legacy's will effect me is because there will be more of us than them. The Legacy RPers will have to adapt to the influx of new members or get left in the dust. The Beta forums was, at one point, trying to figure out how many people are actually "Legacy" but the most they could do was look up at the characters on XIVPADS. I think the number was 50,000 - 60,000. Total. That is TINY. On XIVPads there are 6,100 characters on Balmung, which ACTUALLY is not too bad so go Balmung. But the amount of those that roleplay may be in the low 100's. 100-200 people, if that. The core people who were really ingrained in heavy rp? Probably 30-40. Popular characters? 10-20. This numbers aren't scary numbers! SE is projecting much much bigger numbers of newbies than that. It's almost like a reset for Legacy players too. 90% of the people rolling on that server won't know who there characters are, or care. They have to prove themselves all over again.

Sure, they could stick to their little legacy group if they wanted, but they would become background noise if they did. Maybe they are okay with that, I don't know. But Legacy RPers are a nonissue.

Now we can talk about economy and server firsts or whatever, but right now I'm just specefically talking about the RP side of things

I also think this way, too, as ArmachiA does. I am not totally new...but I did not stick around too much in 1.0 either.

I guess "Server Firsts" are cool and while I'd like that...I really do not chase them or care too (unless I am with a group and get invited to do so or I luck into it...which probably will not happen). It's a non-issue with me.

I think any new people are just going to RP and bump into these group of RPC and naturally connect or continue doing what they are doing. While I do know about being "left out" because..."ELITISM!", I think generally, that's not the case.

Common sense-wise, look at it this way: Say v1.0 never ended. You are a new player coming to FF XIV and you wanted to find RPers on a server or the server with the most RPers. You search and find it. The game has been out for...8 months to a year, would you be intimidated just because there already were people who have an established RP presence there? It's just like any other long-running MMO that people try to track down the RP community. CoH. LotRO. SWToR. WoW. If the game has been running for many years already and they decide to roll on an RP server, the fact that there is already an established group of players is not going to scare them away! In fact, they may be drawn to it, even if all the "server firsts" have been covered (Is there even a "badge" for that in this game? I certainly don't care! Well, I care about leveling and equipment, but give me player-interaction of just being friendly in an OOC manner!)

Just because everyone gets a reboot...well, sheesh! How about this example: "Head-start"! Yes, you get your special code and key and get 3-7 days head start to play but the average person who picks up a copy when it hits the shelves does not. So, all these Head Start people have already formed Guilds and some probably already have done a few of the early "server firsts achievements" and are well on their way to do the later ones because they are ahead of you in levels.

In the long-run, this whole thing does not make sense. Yes, some may be concerned by putting a star or asterisk by their name or "This guy has levels on me" but this is not ANY DIFFERENT than any normal, long-running MMO.

When people worried that they could not create new characters on the Legacy server, sure. I'd be just as worried as them as I got cut-off from potential RP. I can empathize with that and a second server is cool. These other reasons? I just don't get it. It won't matter in a very short period of time after the launch, maybe even just one month after launch, it won't matter.

There definitely are people who know people here. Hardly anyone knows me here except...well, I will leave that mystery up in the air, although it isn't hard to guess for those who are astute and I won't deny it. This still does not scare me away from an "established" server with "established" players.

Going to go ahead and post my thoughts here too! I'm another who played a bit of 1.0 but I didn't even play on any of the servers that had any RP that I knew of. I did make it to lvl 30 and unlocked dragoon but I was never really invested in the game just sort of played it on and off.

Anyways! I'm personally all for joining an "established" server. Sure there are some people who want to get their head starts in levels and even use new server status to get a jump on the economy. Me though? I'm happy to know there are those who can offer insight to not only classes/jobs but also to the lore.

I forget what else I wanted to say... not a good idea to type this out while pretty tired and being in a skype call. >.<

So wait. Why can't all of the servers with RP on them be advertised as unofficial RP servers?  Looks like there are at least four servers that people would like to RP on. Forcing people to make a choice to follow RP isn't fair if people have already made some friends and such on their own server.

So wait. Why can't all of the servers with RP on them be advertised as unofficial RP servers?  Looks like there are at least four servers that people would like to RP on. Forcing people to make a choice to follow RP isn't fair if people have already made some friends and such on their own server.

Because that would only further dilute the Rp population. RPers are a minority, no matter how you look at it. And several months into launch, populations are going to drop (as it does in any MMO). Having them spread out all over the place would only make it more difficult for the overall RP community to survive (see FFXI). Now, if people still want to go to another server beyond Balmung and this upcoming server vote winner, they're free to do so. Nobody can stop them. But the RPC (which comes up first in a google search for ffxiv rp) isn't going to promote that and further contribute to the dilution of the RP population, as that's counter to its overall purpose. Any RP shell, regardless of server, can still advertise themselves in the Linkshell Hall and post here though. But we're not going to set up extra forum sections for them or anything. nor will we exert any effort in funneling RPers to those servers.

Because that would only further dilute the Rp population. RPers are a minority, no matter how you look at it. And several months into launch, populations are going to drop (as it does in any MMO). Having them spread out all over the place would only make it more difficult for the overall RP community to survive (see FFXI). Now, if people still want to go to another server beyond Balmung and this upcoming server vote winner, they're free to do so. Nobody can stop them. But the RPC (which comes up first in a google search for ffxiv rp) isn't going to promote that and further contribute to the dilution of the RP population, as that's counter to its overall purpose.

I'd agree except that the poll exists on a 'trial basis'. So why not trial all of them and remove them as they become inactive here?

There are two problems with that though.

1. Multiple Rp servers vying for prominence in the RP community (and trying to bolster linkshell numbers) for an extended period of time will create a very competitive and toxic environment in this community. The RPC doesn't want anything to do with that, and wants to wash its hands of it here and now. The RPC was originally formed to unite RPers, and allowing something like that to happen is completely contradictory to our purpose.

2. Even if issue #1 is completely avoided by some miracle, there's still the problem of community bonds. By creating a "trial run" for multiple servers, we allow time to pass in which individuals will develop friendships with other people on their servers. By the time one server is clearly out on top, it would be too late. A number of people would be unwilling to change servers at that point and the RP population would suffer potential stagnation even faster as a result.

I don't know if anyone has posted this before, but apparently Yoshi-P has already promised an RP server for the launch of 2.0

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/37276-SE-please-designate-a-Role-Play-friendly-server%21?p=560925&viewfull=1#post560925

I know we have a vote going on today for the second RP server that's non-legacy, but this kind of throws that out the window, huh? Maybe we should pressure Yoshi-P to tell us ASAP what the official RP server is going to be.

We've been putting lots of pressure on them regarding an official RP server. My last private correspondence with a SE rep (last month) indicated that there were still no plans in the works, but they'd "poke the devs again" about it.

It's very possible that this vote could be completely tossed out by launch if SE actually follows through. That's still a big if though, and it's better to be safe than sorry :/

We've been putting lots of pressure on them regarding an official RP server. My last private correspondence with a SE rep (last month) indicated that there were still no plans in the works, but they'd "poke the devs again" about it.

It's very possible that this vote could be completely tossed out by launch if SE actually follows through. That's still a big if though, and it's better to be safe than sorry :/

I agree with you completely! And I'm sorry for being so out of the loop to not realize you've been in contact with SE reps (I think that's very cool of you).

While I think this vote is important, and rather exciting, I am looking forward to having it tossed aside in light of official support from SE.

I'm 90% sure if they did designate an RP server, they'd probably just make it Balmung and get it out of the way, which wouldn't solve the "Nonlegacy" problem

What makes you think that? I think it would most likely be an entirely new server, if anything. But it could really be anything. From a Dev point of view, they may want to make regional RP servers. NA isn't the only place where RPers exist; and Yoshi-P himself is a fan of it. I think he'd want to be able to RP with other Japanese RPers. But then again maybe not!

I still think Kylin had it right when he said RPers are the minority and diluted the community between many servers is not feasible.

Because Yoshi-P is generally pretty in touch with the community and Kylin has talked to devs so they know Balmung is an RP server. On top of that I don't think they would designate a new server as they aren't available to Legacy players and they LOOOVVEEE their legacy players. It seems the easiest thing for them to do would just slap "RP" on Balmung and call it a day.

BUT then again it is SE so...

I'd be very, very surprised if they actually designated an official RP server, the whole RP server thing is an entirely western idea when it comes to MMOs, and honestly I'll be happier if they don't. I've played games with designated RP servers, and games without designated servers, having or not having them didn't effect the amount of RP I managed to find at all, as decent roleplayers tend to go out of the way to find each other regardless.

What I did notice is that having an official RP designated server, at least in my experience, draws people specifically looking to grief RPers.

EDIT: Nevermind, just saw that mod post where YoshiP stated that he likes RP and wants to set up an RP server for 2.0 launch. I almost can't believe he so casually stated that. lol

I'd be very, very surprised if they actually designated an official RP server, the whole RP server thing is an entirely western idea when it comes to MMOs, and honestly I'll be happier if they don't. I've played games with designated RP servers, and games without designated servers, having or not having them didn't effect the amount of RP I managed to find at all, as decent roleplayers tend to go out of the way to find each other regardless.

What I did notice is that having an official RP designated server, at least in my experience, draws people specifically looking to grief RPers.

Valid point. But I personally would rather focus on the benefit of unifying the RP community than the negative of the few who like to grief (I mean always have /blacklist lol).

Yoshi-P loves to RP - according to a dev who quoted him. Hopefully he just hasn't forgotten about the promise he made lol.