Gilgamesh unofficial RP server?

Bringing up the support we've given for the past three years isn't going to help the image that new players are already getting of the existing community. To echo what Momoni said about Impact vs. Intent, the impact left behind by bringing that up in this context is not a palatable one; even to someone like me who was around (not so much on the RPC though) to support this game.

Fair would be adhering to the RPCs purpose. Giving all the RPers, new and old, a place to commune, discuss and be whole - even when that's not possible in game. Note that the banner on this page is "Hydaelyn" Roleplayers. While Balmung is where it started, things are changing now with 2.0 ARR - perhaps the RPC should as well.

But that's what we're doing. There is a poll currently going on to select a non-legacy server for RP for those who would like to go to a non-legacy server. There will be a section of the forums for that server. I don't see where the problem lies. O_o;

Edit: as for the support, what I was referring to was the comments about "I came from community X and this happened." while it's possible stuff like that could happen here, if we all try to work together with listening and understanding on BOTH sides here things will work out. If one side is constantly lashing out at the other and claiming things to be unfair when they are not, it doesn't help anyone.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't agree that it's being fair, I see it as a way of saying "this is the best we're willing to do" instead of "this is the best we can do" and as a universal RP hub for FF14, you need to aim for the best able, not the best willing.

Mind if we ask, in your opinion, what would be "fair" from your point of view?  Please keep in mind that many of the players here have been here for over three years supporting the game and community this entire time.

1. The poll should be open to everyone considering new people are coming in.
  2. The poll should be used to gouge interest, not play at unofficial status. With enough interest taken from current active userbase(including new members) and not total member base or simply total votes(if you don't want Balmung people to vote), all relevant statistics(which is, I believe, 15%?(so says my statistics boyfriend)) should be considered as unofficial until they slow down and decay/die. Then consider them defunct. We have almost two months to figure that out before release. Plenty of time to see what thrives and what doesn't.
  3. Moderators. If the member base is too much to handle, increase the number of people handling them. Dedicated moderators to dedicated subforums works if there is a lot of traffic(the opposite happens if there isn't enough traffic)
  4. Work as a hub. This isn't advertised as a site for Balmung, it sells itself as a site for RP. you must be willing to accommodate all RP, any interest within the relevant statistics(15% of more) has a relevant voice. Which means if six servers all get 15% of the vote, they all deserve a voice.
  5. Don't give priority. Legacy servers are clearly not going to appeal to everyone. Advertising with priority to a legacy server is counter productive. You can say the majority are there, sure, but emphasizing is silly. It comes off really badly and stuck up - let the players decide from the communities here on the forum but let those communities exist. People are just as willing to RP with the same 20 people(and even less, some thriving communities ive been a part of have worked off just four people for years, still ongoing) as they are 100 people. You get 20 people, and you're set, but let them know they can find each other.
  6. Don't run the risk of thinking communities are idealistic. I'll reference WoW - a lot of the RP turned into guild centered things, where opposing that guild(even if they openly harassed literally everyone else) was meant with disdain and being ignored(because they found themselves superior.) Having enough members to have communities that exist within communities sounds awesome on paper - but it almost never works in practice.(WoW, for one. If anyone is old enough to have been around for the clan/kingdom wars on Eyechat, Teenchat, MSN group or rpghost you know what I mean.)

Bringing up the support we've given for the past three years isn't going to help the image that new players are already getting of the existing community. To echo what Momoni said about Impact vs. Intent, the impact left behind by bringing that up in this context is not a palatable one; even to someone like me who was around (not so much on the RPC though) to support this game.

Fair would be adhering to the RPCs purpose. Giving all the RPers, new and old, a place to commune, discuss and be whole - even when that's not possible in game. Note that the banner on this page is "Hydaelyn" Roleplayers. While Balmung is where it started, things are changing now with 2.0 ARR - perhaps the RPC should as well.

But that's what we're doing. There is a poll currently going on to select a non-legacy server for RP for those who would like to go to a non-legacy server. There will be a section of the forums for that server. I don't see where the problem lies. O_o;

Read most of Momoni's post and you'll see where the issues are cropping up. I'm not going to repost them.

Mind if we ask, in your opinion, what would be "fair" from your point of view?  Please keep in mind that many of the players here have been here for over three years supporting the game and community this entire time.

There has to be some limits to it otherwise there will be a section for every server when another new player joins and says "My friends and I are role-playing on server X. Can we have a section too?"

There should be some kind of minimum, a measure of when a server warrants that kind of support.

There has to be some limits to it otherwise there will be a section for every server when another new player joins and says "My friends and I are role-playing on server X. Can we have a section too?"

There should be some kind of minimum, a measure of when a server warrants that kind of support.

Agreed. There should be 'something' to prevent that specifically from happening. However, what's being done now either isn't enough or isn't quite it.

I agree with this 110% but probably not in the way that you would like.  I think a lot of these issues could be side-stepped if the RPC simply rebranded itself "Balmung RPC" and let those who were so adamant in setting up RP on other servers sort out the specifics of that for themselves.  The original stated purpose of the RPC as I recall was to help unify RPers on one server.  I firmly believe that policy should continue to be adhered to, but that's just one RPer's opinion who is tired of all of this [what feels to me to be senseless] bickering.  The way I see it, if you are not working towards the RPC's initial goals of unifying RPers in one place, you're working against it.  Maybe that makes me look uncompromising or unyielding, but if you so adamantly don't want to RP with me and others on Balmung anyway, why should I care what you think of me?  This is how I feel.

Kind of suspicious that Momoni's account was created today, and the only topic's they've posted in is this one, with a combative attitude against the RPC settling on just one server...

I got a beta key and started playing last weekend. It's not suspicious - I'm just new to the FF14: ARR scene. I keep saying, you need to keep people like me in mind. We're new, but that doesn't make us irrelevant or suspicious.

I agree with this 110% but probably not in the way that you would like.  I think a lot of these issues could be side-stepped if the RPC simply rebranded itself "Balmung RPC" and let those who were so adamant in setting up RP on other servers sort out the specifics of that for themselves.  The original stated purpose of the RPC as I recall was to help unify RPers on one server.  I firmly believe that policy should continue to be adhered to, but that's just one RPer's opinion who is tired of all of this [what feels to me to be senseless] bickering.  The way I see it, if you are not working towards the RPC's initial goals of unifying RPers in one place, you're working against it.  Maybe that makes me look uncompromising or unyielding, but if you so adamantly don't want to RP with me and others on Balmung anyway, why should I care what you think of me?  This is how I feel.

You're not being unfair at all with that. If the RPC sold itself as a Balmung site instead of a site for all RPing, the entire thing would change. But as long as it sells itself as an RP hub it needs to be an RP hub. Accommodate or change the pitch, I remember saying that earlier.

I agree with this 110% but probably not in the way that you would like.  I think a lot of these issues could be side-stepped if the RPC simply rebranded itself "Balmung RPC" and let those who were so adamant in setting up RP on other servers sort out the specifics of that for themselves.  The original stated purpose of the RPC as I recall was to help unify RPers on one server.  I firmly believe that policy should continue to be adhered to, but that's just one RPer's opinion who is tired of all of this [what feels to me to be senseless] bickering.  The way I see it, if you are not working towards the RPC's initial goals of unifying RPers in one place, you're working against it.  Maybe that makes me look uncompromising or unyielding, but if you so adamantly don't want to RP with me and others on Balmung anyway, why should I care what you think of me?  This is how I feel.

Please don't take the desire to move from Balmung as a personal attack against people, yourself included.

All I personally want is a fresh start. I want to feel what I felt when 1.0 booted for the first time after the close of 'beta'.

If the RPC is exclusive to Balmung, then so be it, but that's not how I've perceived it. And that's not how many other people have perceived it. So perhaps rebranding is needed. If it happens, that sucks because I've made so many friends through RPing on Balmung over the years. I believe I can have my cake and eat it too. I can have a place to support my RP ventures outside of Balmung, and I can have an establish place to connect with other players near me, and players one server removed.

If there is a winning server, it will have garnered 4% of the people registered here.

In order to be selected, any given server has to have more than 40 votes (about 4.1% of registered users on the RPC) total once the wildcard votes are added to it.

I'm not sure how this is unfair. 40 people is not a lot of people. We've had a lot of new people coming to the RPC in the last two months, and those people are getting their vote. If we had more than 40 votes for two different servers, I don't see why it wouldn't be appropriate to have a section for each of those servers. We do have a minimum in place to make it relevant.

Also, if we opened up the RPC to registrations while the poll is going on, what is to stop someone from creating a ton of dummy accounts and flooding the polls simply to get a new section of the forum open? It has happened before, and could happen again.

It needs to be worth the time and effort for us to put in a new section of the forums. I understand we could get new moderators, but that also takes time to figure out who would make a good moderator and who could be trustworthy.

I'm pretty sure that we'd be open to suggestions. What do you think would be a number that would be great enough to warrant another section of the forums. I honestly have no idea, as this is really the first site that I've moderated for other than my own linkshell's website. :)

It is an open poll with one vote per person.

2. The poll should be used to gouge interest, not play at unofficial status. With enough interest taken from current active userbase(including new members) and not total member base or simply total votes(if you don't want Balmung people to vote), all relevant statistics(which is, I believe, 15%?(so says my statistics boyfriend)) should be considered as unofficial until they slow down and decay/die. Then consider them defunct. We have almost two months to figure that out before release. Plenty of time to see what thrives and what doesn't.

If the poll was to include Balmung as a server choice, some people would claim to poll itself to be biased. Should there really be 12 new subforms just so there could be one per server? That's a lot of wasted space.

3. Moderators. If the member base is too much to handle, increase the number of people handling them. Dedicated moderators to dedicated subforums works if there is a lot of traffic(the opposite happens if there isn't enough traffic)

The Moderators are really not the concern here for this issue. Let's stick to the task at hand shall we?

4. Work as a hub. This isn't advertised as a site for Balmung, it sells itself as a site for RP. you must be willing to accommodate all RP, any interest within the relevant statistics(15% of more) has a relevant voice. Which means if six servers all get 15% of the vote, they all deserve a voice.

See the answer for your second point. You do have a voice, no one is covering that up. But if 3 people want to go to server A and 3 to server B and 3 to server C and 3 to Server D. Don't you think that eventually they would get tired of the lack of RP with others? having a secondary unofficial RP server that is non-legacy will help people better see where the /majority/ of people are going so they can choose for themselves where they would like to go. No one is forcing players to go anywhere.

5. Don't give priority. Legacy servers are clearly not going to appeal to everyone. Advertising with priority to a legacy server is counter productive. You can say the majority are there, sure, but emphasizing is silly. It comes off really badly and stuck up - let the players decide from the communities here on the forum but let those communities exist. People are just as willing to RP with the same 20 people(and even less, some thriving communities ive been a part of have worked off just four people for years, still ongoing) as they are 100 people. You get 20 people, and you're set, but let them know they can find each other.

If 15 people are on one server and 300 are on another, what would you suggest would be the best course of action? Say, "Here is the server with 15 people, have fun because this is the smaller server RP group. Stay away from the nasty larger crowd." ? no. That's just silly. Everyone does and can get equal advertising in the LS list. It just happens that it's more full of Balmung because that's where the current majority of RPers are.

6. Don't run the risk of thinking communities are idealistic. I'll reference WoW - a lot of the RP turned into guild centered things, where opposing that guild(even if they openly harassed literally everyone else) was meant with disdain and being ignored(because they found themselves superior.) Having enough members to have communities that exist within communities sounds awesome on paper - but it almost never works in practice.(WoW, for one. If anyone is old enough to have been around for the clan/kingdom wars on Eyechat, Teenchat, MSN group or rpghost you know what I mean.)

So, you are saying that communities within communities is bad. But that is what you are asking for. You want to everyone to split up into tiny groups across many servers or join together? The RPC has been about gathering RPers together. It always has been. By splitting them up into smaller groups across multiple servers, that only hampers things and causes the community to stifle.

This poll was advertised back in early-mid June on Zam, Gamer Escape, beta forums (multiple places), AND the official XIV forums (Lodestone). All of those posts linked to the RPC's post, where it states that user registration would be disabled.

It is not our fault that people don't keep up to date on things. If you're completely new to the XIV universe and have never visited those sites before now (like I think Momoni is), great. We love new people and have done many many things to prove that. We hope you join us on Balmung and/or the secondary RP server. It's even easier because you can make multiple characters across servers!

That being said, I apologize if we are unable to please EVERYONE. We've bent over backwards as is. We've hosted more than one RP event aimed specifically at new players (and have more coming). We've set up a mentor program. We've barraged the welcome desk with greetings. We've pulled newcomers into the skype chatrooms. And we've setup a poll for a secondary RP server because that's what people were begging for about a month or so ago. And yet, all over the place, some people out there call us "elitists." They call us "condescending." They call us "controlling." They call us a lot of things. And we've done nothing but try to be welcoming and accommodating.

I apologize if this site isn't being run as some would like it. But it is a privately owned website. If some disagree so much with how it's managed, those parties are free to start their own site (though that would be sad to see...). THIS site's goal from day one when I first set out to organize it was to unite Rpers onto ONE server. We've already started to be accommodating with the coming of 2.0 by looking at a second server option. To ask us to go even further is a lot to ask.

Yes, it's called "Hydaelyn Role-Players." 'Cause that's what -I- chose to call it. It doesn't have some deep meaning behind the name.

This happened in the 1.0 poll. It happens in every other MMO's RP server selection. Can't please everyone. We are not shifting gears at this point. We're not adding a third of fourth server into the mix. If people wish to go to other servers, more power to them. We hope they change their minds later down the road and try to support the RP community as a whole.

All I personally want is a fresh start. I want to feel what I felt when 1.0 booted for the first time after the close of 'beta'.

Why do you think you wouldn't get a fresh start on Balmung?  Just because there's people from 1.0 on the server?  What would a new server provide to you except less people to RP with (since the people who already have characters won't be able to leave) and server-first achievements (which there is no evidence of there actually being server-first achievements.)  Your economy will be more expensive, as there will be low-supply, high demand for items.

I just don't get it.

If there is a winning server, it will have garnered 4% of the people registered here.

In order to be selected, any given server has to have more than 40 votes (about 4.1% of registered users on the RPC) total once the wildcard votes are added to it.

I'm not sure how this is unfair. 40 people is not a lot of people. We've had a lot of new people coming to the RPC in the last two months, and those people are getting their vote. If we had more than 40 votes for two different servers, I don't see why it wouldn't be appropriate to have a section for each of those servers. We do have a minimum in place to make it relevant.

But it's being advertised as only one server. I don't see why the restriction would exist either but we were informed that it does.

Also, if we opened up the RPC to registrations while the poll is going on, what is to stop someone from creating a ton of dummy accounts and flooding the polls simply to get a new section of the forum open? It has happened before, and could happen again.

Have people sound off on the official server with their account here? With the influx of people coming in with the last beta weekend as well as the people that simply never bothered to register(like the Behemoth people) you're looking at a lot of votes that simply aren't going to exist. That is, quite simply, not fair if you're trying to create a statistic.

It needs to be worth the time and effort for us to put in a new section of the forums. I understand we could get new moderators, but that also takes time to figure out who would make a good moderator and who could be trustworthy. 

And that's a process that needs to start now, especially if it takes a long time. Given the amount of time this has been up, though, you should already have candidates in mind, no?

I'm pretty sure that we'd be open to suggestions. What do you think would be a number that would be great enough to warrant another section of the forums. I honestly have no idea, as this is really the first site that I've moderated for other than my own linkshell's website. :)

15% of votes is relevant in a poll based off of actual statistics.(I believe the term is statistical significance)

It is an open poll with one vote per person.

If the poll was to include Balmung as a server choice, some people would claim to poll itself to be biased.  Should there really be 12 new subforms just so there could be one per server?  That's a lot of wasted space.

The Moderators are really not the concern here for this issue.  Let's stick to the task at hand shall we?

See the answer for your second point.  You do have a voice, no one is covering that up.  But if 3 people want to go to server A and 3 to server B and 3 to server C and 3 to Server D.  Don't you think that eventually they would get tired of the lack of RP with others?  having a secondary unofficial RP server that is non-legacy will help people better see where the /majority/ of people are going so they can choose for themselves where they would like to go.  No one is forcing players to go anywhere.

If 15 people are on one server and 300 are on another, what would you suggest would be the best course of action?  Say, "Here is the server with 15 people, have fun because this is the smaller server RP group.  Stay away from the nasty larger crowd." ?  no.  That's just silly.  Everyone does and can get equal advertising in the LS list.  It just happens that it's more full of Balmung because that's where the current majority of RPers are.

So, you are saying that communities within communities is bad.  But that is what you are asking for.  You want to everyone to split up into tiny groups across many servers or join together?  The RPC has been about gathering RPers together.  It always has been.  By splitting them up into smaller groups across multiple servers, that only hampers things and causes the community to stifle.  

1. But is it open to everyone?
  2. I never said twelve. Six? Sure. It's all about how much moderation you have to go with the size of it, as well as the funding you have. As an official RP hub I imagine someone is anticipating the bandwidth requirements that are going to be coming with an increased member base after release?
  3. It is an issue that has been cited multiple times. It's relevant.
  4. Sure but I'm offering a relevant statistic of 15%. That's going to be a lot more than 3 unless nobody wants to vote on your poll. You're exaggerating the numbers a bit with the 3.
  5. No, say, here is a community, and let the forum content itself tell people who they prefer and who they don't. You don't need to sell it any other way. No commentary, nothing. Just, wham, forum support, and let members decide.
  6. No. This requires you pay attention to the context. A community within a community within this context refers to a guild/group within a community of RPers(server). A series of RP guilds on a single server will conflict in the worst of ways - history has proven that to me.

This poll was advertised back in early-mid June on Zam, Gamer Escape, beta forums (multiple places), AND the official XIV forums (Lodestone). All of those posts linked to the RPC's post, where it states that user registration would be disabled.

Okay but you just told all of us just coming into the beta that w're irrelevant. So thanks?

It is not our fault that people don't keep up to date on things. If you're completely new to the XIV universe and have never visited those sites before now (like I think Momoni is), great. We love new people and have done many many things to prove that. We hope you join us on Balmung and/or the secondary RP server. It's even easier because you can make multiple characters across servers

Not knowing something exists is different from keeping up on it. Not everyone scurries to research RP for a beta they aren't sure if they're getting into.

That being said, I apologize if we are unable to please EVERYONE. We've bent over backwards as is. We've hosted more than one RP event aimed specifically at new players (and have more coming). We've set up a mentor program. We've barraged the welcome desk with greetings. We've pulled newcomers into the skype chatrooms. And we've setup a poll for a secondary RP server because that's what people were begging for about a month or so ago. And yet, all over the place, some people out there call us "elitists." They call us "condescending." They call us "controlling." They call us a lot of things. And we've done nothing but try to be welcoming and accommodating. 

If you're bent over backwards get help. I cannot be sympathetic here - I've been a moderator before. I confidently say now, bending over backwards happens when you don't have the manpower to support yourself.

What you give is nice and fine, but you sell yourself as a hub. The issue is that saying "We're balmung centric" is no longer a hub. It's a site for Balmung RPers.

I apologize if this site isn't being run as some would like it. But it is a privately owned website. If some disagree so much with how it's managed, those parties are free to start their own site (though that would be sad to see...). THIS site's goal from day one when I first set out to organize it was to unite Rpers onto ONE server. We've already started to be accommodating with the coming of 2.0 by looking at a second server option. To ask us to go even further is a lot to ask.

But we shouldn't be pointed to the door for offering suggestions. If I say something valid, I want it to be considered, not told I'm free to make my own website. I'm trying to help the community - and you - here. Because I care. If you don't like my points, fine. But prove them wrong if they're wrong, don't dismiss them.

Yes, it's called "Hydaelyn Role-Players." 'Cause that's what -I- chose to call it. It doesn't have some deep meaning behind the name.

Right, but how it turns out is important.

This happened in the 1.0 poll. It happens in every other MMO's RP server selection. Can't please everyone. We are not shifting gears at this point. We're not adding a third of fourth server into the mix. If people wish to go to other servers, more power to them. We hope they change their minds later down the road and try to support the RP community as a whole.

Then please don't sell yourself as an RP hub if you're adamant about not being that. If you're a Balmung +1 server, then you need to be that and not pretend to be anything else.

THIS is why it is the Hydaelyn Roleplayers Coalition and not the Balmung Roleplayers Coalition.

Sure but the fracture is happening. From what I can gather it starts with Behemoth and extends to what we have right ehre right now. So the question is: is this a role play coalition for ff14 or is it a balmung centered roleplay community?

Because we're about to be past the point where you can be both.

Fractures are a natural part of any community. They happen, unfortunately.

That said, this thread is simply off topic. The OP was merely asking a question and somehow we're in a heavy debate about how the site is run and whether there should be more than one supported server, etc. If one wishes to make a new thread about it, please feel free to. But I'm gonna lock this one because again, off topic.