Gilgamesh unofficial RP server?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In beta 3, Gilgamesh is more or less the unofficial server for RPers (though I can't say how much RP is being done on it outside of events :) ).

I've heard all sorts of things on the beta forums about the unofficial non-legacy RP server for beta 4 and launch, so I'd say there's no clear consensus. For this site, a vote is happening on July 1st, per the announcement banner at the top of the page.

Yep seems like Gilgamesh is the Phase 3 server... us old timers are on Balmung (YES, finally I'm in! Except I move tomorrow so right this moment is the only time I can play this weekend... ) and come launch I understand it will be Balmung and... whatever people vote on.

I have seen quite a bit of role play and gatherings on Gilgamesh!

Having so much fun on this server. Hoping it will become the Non Legacy RP Server.

Any news on if SE is going to have a server designated as RP when the game goes live?

Balmung is the unofficial server, but since it wasn't available when phase 3 started and people had already done some stuff on Gilgamesh, that got nominated. Whether or not it'll become the non-Legacy even more unofficial RP server depends on how the vote on July 1st goes.

Personally, I'd recommend everyone head to Balmung once the open beta starts, but that's just me.

Personally, I'd recommend everyone head to Balmung once the open beta starts, but that's just me.

Agreed -- that's my intention, certainly, and I don't have any 1.x characters of any value.

People who are scared of a Legacy server should definitely go read the various explanations of why they're not bad and how the fact that people think they're bad will help keep non-RPers off Balmung. :)

Balmung is the unofficial rp server of 1.0 and will still carry that title of being the first. I personally am voting for Gilgamesh as the unofficial rp non legacy server on July 1st. Our characters have not been wiped (My phase 2 characters are still there I noticed yesterday) so I'm hoping that our phase 3 characters are still there as well with the arrival of phase 4.

Balmung is the unofficial rp server of 1.0 and will still carry that title of being the first. I personally am voting for Gilgamesh as the unofficial rp non legacy server on July 1st. Our characters have not been wiped (My phase 2 characters are still there I noticed yesterday) so I'm hoping that our phase 3 characters are still there as well with the arrival of phase 4.

Hate to burst your bubble, Rock, but come phase 4 everything is going to get wiped. Unless something drastic changes, they're not carrying any changes over to Phase 4. Any changes in phase 4, however, will make it to release, so this upcoming wipe will be the very last one.

Agreed -- that's my intention, certainly, and I don't have any 1.x characters of any value.

People who are scared of a Legacy server should definitely go read the various explanations of why they're not bad and how the fact that people think they're bad will help keep non-RPers off Balmung. :)

Well I must say that this has me excited to play on Balmung. I would hate to see the RP community split up. 

I think a lot of people assume that the Legacy servers will cause a struggle for new players that dont have any gil yet. To have max level characters running around with however much gil they have is frightening. Especially for someone who is going to main DOH/DOL characters or for players starting out.

I guess this is what Freecompanies are for. =D

It'll even itself out. The new players will vastly outnumber the old players, so their gil advantage will rapidly vanish if they try to dominate the market -- their supply of gil will be spread out if they try to corner the market by buying all of the much larger supply's items.

I don't really think the economy is actually going to be much of an issue, especially when you consider that, through level 20 as one class at least (as far as I've played in phase 3), you can never touch an auction board at all and do just fine; quests and dungeons will gear you up nicely.

I think people are looking at the Legacy servers and saying, "this would be just like if I joined (insert game here) 3 years in, with all the cliques and anti-new character economy." However, it's not really like that, because there's tons of new players rushing in that will overwhelm the existing 1.x players. To get anything done with jobs they haven't maxed (and I believe it's over 96% of 1.x characters that haven't maxed out even a single job), they'll have to get involved with the new players. To RP with anyone other than themselves, they'll have to reach out and get new players involved. It's not like anything we've seen in any other MMO, and I, for one, am looking forward to seeing what happens.

You might be the only one, I just looked on Couerl, my phase 1 and 2 server and none of my characters are there.

I have seen quite a bit of role play and gatherings on Gilgamesh!

Having so much fun on this server. Hoping it will become the Non Legacy RP Server.

Any news on if SE is going to have a server designated as RP when the game goes live?

I am starting my character on Balmung. From what I have come to notice is that a large majority of the RP community will be from 1.0 and will be in Balmung. The only reason there is a good amount of RP going on in Gilgamesh is mostly because of the 1.0 characters who will eventually all migrate back to Balmung. We have to follow the tide so we are not lost at sea!

Vanschiver from GW2 :o? Hello and welcome! To give you a small amount of information on the whole debacle...Balmung is the where the RP community was normally stationed, but there are a few that have expressed concerns about playing with the Legacy players the community decided to hold a vote on July 1st to have a second server for those who didn't want to play with Legacy people. They are asking people who don't want to go to Balmung to vote (not the people who have already decided to start/stay on Balmung) so that we can all gauge how many people actually do not want to play with the Legacy players.

I am new to the game and have played Phase 3 on a new server and a legacy server. I find that the benefits of playing with established players outweigh the drawbacks. I also personally feel that it is respectful to join them on a server where they have built something wonderful rather than asking them to start over somewhere else just so they are the same level as me for a short period of time.

I think that having two RP servers, one legacy and one new, would be a mistake as it will only serve to spread out an already small community (relatively speaking). However, this is merely my opinion and we shall see what the community decides starting tomorrow.

Nothing is worse then voting without solid information. I don't see what the harm is in letting a discussion like this happen as long as everyone stays civil.

From what I have heard Gilgamesh has a bunch of people that don't want RPers. This might be the case on other servers too though. TBH aside from the RP event I haven't seen much RP on Gilgamesh. I imagine that it is a little early to judge how to RP and community will be on a server at this point. 

Rather than basing your search on where the RPers are (because some aren't RPing in beta) , I would base it on which server is welcoming and low population.

I'd like to point out that it's typical for beta servers to be renamed entirely for release. There's no guarantee that Gilgamesh will still be around come launch. They have confirmed that the legacy servers are sticking around, and all of the legacy servers follow the name of powerful weapons in Final Fantasy games. I suspect that Gilgamesh and the other non legacy servers that are being used in beta will be renamed to follow the naming conventions established by the existing legacy servers. Square Enix did pretty much the same thing for Final Fantasy XI, the beta servers had antagonist or monster names, the launch servers all have summon names.

Of course, this is only educated speculation, but it does give me pause about holding a vote before phase 4. People may be very committed and excited for servers that may not even have the same name come launch.

Nothing is worse then voting without solid information. I don't see what the harm is in letting a discussion like this happen as long as everyone stays civil.

From what I have heard Gilgamesh has a bunch of people that don't want RPers. This might be the case on other servers too though. TBH aside from the RP event I haven't seen much RP on Gilgamesh. I imagine that it is a little early to judge how to RP and community will be on a server at this point. 

Rather than basing your search on where the RPers are (because some aren't RPing in beta) , I would base it on which server is welcoming and low population.

I personally have not experienced any negativity towards rpers. People want to play on a non legacy server that's fine but unless there is a unified decision on where to go this will not work. Remember this poll is only up for 24 hours there is no way to gage at this point whether a server is low pop or welcoming to rpers. I personally can go either way. I want to help the new server establish itself but again voting happens tomorrow for only 24 hours. The decision should be made by now.

Personally I am voting for Gilgamesh.

I wouldn't worry all to much folks.... I mean no matter where the polls go some one or a group of people will be unhappy about the out come. Some peope will try to rebel, some be happy, and some will mumble under neath their breath and go where we go. I don't care where we go has long as we have fun when we get there. Though i'm not a fan of some of the legacy players i go where my friends go.

I'd like to point out that it's typical for beta servers to be renamed entirely for release. There's no guarantee that Gilgamesh will still be around come launch. They have confirmed that the legacy servers are sticking around, and all of the legacy servers follow the name of powerful weapons in Final Fantasy games. I suspect that Gilgamesh and the other non legacy servers that are being used in beta will be renamed to follow the naming conventions established by the existing legacy servers. Square Enix did pretty much the same thing for Final Fantasy XI, the beta servers had antagonist or monster names, the launch servers all have summon names.

Of course, this is only educated speculation, but it does give me pause about holding a vote before phase 4. People may be very committed and excited for servers that may not even have the same name come launch.

The possibility of server names changing is very much something people should stay aware of. In that event, another poll would have to be held immediately upon the server names being known (unless SE decided to finally label one of the new servers as a RP one, which would take everything out of our hands).

At the very least, the vote will allow individuals to congregate on one of the beta servers and start forming connections however they see fit for the duration of phase 3, connections that could then easily transfer to the newly named servers (assuming there are newly named servers).