FFXIII Outfits in XIV.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone said earlier, I'm pretty neutral on this, though some of the weapons and Snow's coat look pretty sweet. As it seems they're going ahead with this, my only hope is that other items from past FF games come out (namely a classic version of the BM gear - yellow hat with glowing eyes and deep blue coat with puffy pants et al).

I don't have a problem with this. From an in-universe perspective, they're just clothes, and they look pretty cool from that perspective. The fact that they originate from outside Eorzea doesn't bother me. If it did, I'd also be angry about Magitek Armor carbon-copied from FF6, and yukatas, and kabutos, and...I'm not.

/shrug

EDIT: Dimension-hopping (i.e. Lightning in FFXIV is *the same person* as FFXIII Lightning) I am a little bit less of a fan of, but I can deal with it.

It was canon WAY back already anyways.  Dissidia for one and the fact that Gilgamesh in all games (sans XI) is the same Gilgamesh.

Porting character models, tendencies, and personalities is one thing. But TRUE dimensional hopping is another. This is essentially a crossover between completely different universes/worlds! I'm actually really happy about this. It opens up the opportunity for FFXI RPers who want to bring characters from Van'diel.

I've been thinking and I mentioned most of this on the Skype chat earlier. 

Each Generation of Final Fantasy series has had a main "hero" for the first 10 years or so, it was Cecil.  Lets be completely honest.  it was.  Then, there was Cloud.  and now, Lightning.  so  as much as some people might complain or hate, you have to remember that this is the current Generation's main hero and in 5 years or so, we'll have a new main popular hero.

It's a character that defines that generation of FF titles not the story behind them, but the character themselves because many of us will agree, 13's story sucked a lot of ass.

Cloud wasn't the brightest clone in the lot.  But he was a fan fave. Lightning is the representative for this gen's FF.  Just as Cloud was for FF7~12 and Cecil for 1~6.  People don't always like the main character in a game, but more often then not, that character is picked for a reason.  It's what many people like in their hero.  Not all, but many. 

I recall, when "The Third Birthday" (I refuse to call it Parasite Eve 3) released.  They had cross promotional costumes with Dissidia.  Lightning's outfit for Aya, and Aya's outfit for Lightning.  It also cross promoted for Birth by Sleep in that you could get Cloud's Kingdom Heart Costume for cloud in Dissidia if you had a cleared save file. With the release of Lightning Returns, they wanted to cross-promote it to XIV just like Sega can cross Promote stuff into PSO2.

This is hardly the first time dimension hoping has occurred in Final Fantasy.  Dissidia, Final Fantasy Dimensions, Tactics, Tactics Advance 1 and 2, FFXI, and even going back to FFV!  Let's not forget that Gilgamesh from every game except FFXI is the same Gilgamesh dimension hopping.

The funny part is that a vocal part of the Final Fantasy XIV community started rioting at the idea, and there are currently two rather massive threads on the official beta forums (already counting 26 and 16 pages despite the fact that people are allowed to post only once every 15 minutes to keep things manageable) with players bickering back and forth on how the announced costumes break their immersion and what not.

Personally, I’m amused. And I’m especially amused considering just how much fanservice from other Final Fantasy games is already in Final Fantasy XIV. If Lightning’s ouftit (or her gunblade, in a world in which gunblades do exist and always did) really breaks your immersion more than the Scholar’s schoolgirl outfit… well, I guess the joke is on you.

This guy clearly has no idea what we are rioting over. It has nothing to do with the outfits. It's just clothes. I don't want Lightning, the character in XIV. If she's just a Hyur girl in a quest line, fine. But straight up dimension-hopping is lame, and much different than giving a nod to a popular character (or summon, or other famous franchise things) by having a look-alike in XIV. I'll cross my fingers that that's all it is.

Fortunately, this seems almost like it's going to be an "event" rather than some legit canon lore-changing deal, so I'll be happy to ignore it.

What's so lore changing?  I mean heck, we players got time warped 5 years.  There are Cavernous Maws (Atomos) that were feeding on our Aetherites.  It's been confirmed in cross game lore that Atomos is the gateway between dimensions and eats failed ones.  Lightning appeared in Dissidia, where in so did Shantotto who mentions she arrived via a Cavernous Maw.  It's entirely possible that canonically she can appear in XIV.  Which would make even MORE sense since it's a short term event that she can't stay here for a long period of time just like Gilgamesh has stated he can not stay in any one dimension for a great length of time.

...Lore-changing as in introducing the dimension-hopping deal as canon. While it is implied through various other games as you're so eager to keep mentioning, it is not something that is currently spelled out in the lore as legit.

My point, and my opinion is simply that I hate it. :D I don't want people showing up from Vana'diel and Ivalice and ughhghg. Just don't like it.

...Lore-changing as in introducing the dimension-hopping deal as canon. While it is implied through various other games as you're so eager to keep mentioning, it is not something that is currently spelled out in the lore as legit.

My point, and my opinion is simply that I hate it. :D I don't want people showing up from Vana'diel and Ivalice and ughhghg. Just don't like it.

fair enough, but the possibility for it is there. We'll just have to see when the event comes out how they choose the handle it.

I'm with Aysun on this one. You know people are going to take this angle and just go crazy with it. Now we'll have people from Azeroth, A galaxy far far away, and people carrying a special ring... Love it! :frustrated:

I'll be honest, this angle kinda is a big turn off for me. My enthusiasm has dwindled a lot this week between this and the server squabble.

I'm with Aysun on this one. You know people are going to take this angle and just go crazy with it. Now we'll have people from Azeroth, A galaxy far far away, and people carrying a special ring... Love it! :frustrated:

I'll be honest, this angle kinda is a big turn off for me. My enthusiasm has dwindled a lot this week between this and the server squabble.

Just know that there will always be people that are like-minded with you around to play with. :) Don't let it kill your enthusiasm.

100 gil on Cloud, Sephiroth, and Aerith appearing in a mini-event sometime down the line.

Not the first time Cloud has appeared in another title.  Final Fantasy Tactics.  Dissidia.

Truth.

Also, according to the beta forums, the event will also come with hairstyles based on FFXIII.

Does that mean I get an afro?

100 gil on Cloud, Sephiroth, and Aerith appearing in a mini-event sometime down the line.

Not the first time Cloud has appeared in another title.  Final Fantasy Tactics.  Dissidia.

Cloud also has an implied appearance (his sword hanging on the wall in a weapon shop, and the shop owner mentioning that it belonged to a spikey haired fellow) in Final Fantasy IX

I'd be down to get ahold of Snow's bandanna or Lightning's ponytail.  ..and so would everyone else.  xD

And to all the haters I say:

tumblr_mfb8hbNTuM1qblvxio1_500.gif

Apparently the event is optional. Get over it.

EDIT: I admit, I needed an excuse to use this GIF.

tumblr_mfb8hbNTuM1qblvxio1_500.gif

Apparently the event is optional. Get over it.

EDIT: I admit, I needed an excuse to use this GIF.

I was in the "not sure if want" group before I saw this GIF.

I have been swayed. Well played sir. (And if nothing else, the weapons look bad ass!)

It's not a matter of hating really, it's a matter of not wanting to mix the XIV setting with other settings so casually. This possibly opens the door RP-wise for people to play characters from just about any setting they want to, something a lot of us are not too fond of.

The Crystal Tower is supposed to have elements from other Final Fantasy games right? I'm hoping that they approach this smartly and implement it in a similar fashion to how Gilgamesh from Final Fantasy V consistently shows up in other Final Fantasy games. In Final Fantasy V there was something called The Void which was inside a place called the Interdimensional Rift, it served as a space between dimensions, during the events of Final Fantasy V Gilgamesh is banished to The Void, and it's generally speculated that this is the reason he shows up in other Final Fantasy games. In XII for example he's a special Elite Mark boss fight, during this battle you can see that he's wielding Squall's Revolver gunblade, Tidus's Brotherhood sword, and Cloud's Buster sword.

If they handle Lighting in a similar fashion, and not as a different version of her hanging out in Garlemard or whatever, I'll be cool with it.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Interdimensional_Rift for reference.