Answers - The Song, in RP

So, watching some videos from the end of 1.0, and reading forums, I notice that the song could be somewhat heard in the background during play. Is this something characters are RPing as being heard, and if so, is there some IC explanation of it? Just something I thought of last night listening to it again.

Anyone got thoughts?

I don't think music can be heard ICly. I'm pretty sure that's there because of how games are made and for ambiance. I wouldn't be opposed to someone ICly humming the tune of the song that's in  the background, though. But as far as if the song can be heard in the minds of the characters, I'll go with a "no".

Edit: Just found out about what Merri posted about. Hm. Did not know that.

During the ending week of 1.0, this song was on a loop in all areas.

7ZITw3Ub-K0

Naturally, it was incredibly unsettling. The roar of Dalamud in the background as it sat closer than ever, and this disembodied voice singing in the distance. There was a theory floating around that those with the echo were basically hearing the "goddess" (Or whatever being gifted everyone with the echo. It seemed heavily inferred that it was a gift from an unknown goddess, what with the "Hear, feel, think" lady.) singing a lament for the coming disaster.

Answers is a song within the world of XIV as far as we know. There were a few bard NPCs that played it on their harps, albeit briefly.

See, the wording in the song, makes me feel as though it's from the perspective of Gaia, or the world, basically. "To all my children..." doesn't seem as though its from a single goddess. Could be, though. I'm just wondering if perhaps, it was something people were hearing, or what opinions would be on someone

RPing that they did. And I was not aware that the song itself was played by character in game, either, so that's neat to know.

2.0 story spoilers~

Well, "gaia" in this case would more than likely be the mother crystal. Which could be kind of considered a goddess in her own right.

And, quite frankly, she could also be the source of the echo. Seems implied, even. That being said, could have very well been the mother crystal "singing", as it were.

Wow, what an emotionally evocative piece. It must have been incredible to hear that everywhere. Just listening to it now gave me a sense of dread, even despair.

And now I feel bad for having stopped playing before that. o_O

Wow, what an emotionally evocative piece. It must have been incredible to hear that everywhere. Just listening to it now gave me a sense of dread, even despair.

It was intense. o_o I'd also go with the whole those who had the Echo were probably the ones who were hearing it, since we've heard the "Hear, Feel, Think" part already legitimately.

I'm not sure about during Dalamud and such, but there was a performer in Limsa named Jainelette who, when you spoke to her, she sang some of Answers. So I'd imagine it's at least a song that bards might be familiar with?

Short clip:

Kl7IeVRR3B8

To be honest the opening sounds like a prayer of desperation.

The first verse by Susan sounds like a deities response.

The next time she sings sounds like a call out to the twelve.

The last is the answer.

Not sure what in game lore type of importance it has, I was listening to it while I wrote the story I posted tonight for my character that took place during that time. Of course it inspired certain words similar in nature of the song's lyrics to craft the imagery in the story I wrote. Perhaps it's the crystals call we are hearing?

Given that C'io's had the gift to hear the "voices of the land" since she was young, I now am intimately aware of why she felt like she -needed- to be at that battle five years ago and why it upset her when she couldn't be. That sound clip is absolutely haunting!

Could be something similar like in FFXI, Ulmia knew a song of utter importance. If I remember correctly it dealt with the goddess and getting into the area you'd need access to for sea. I can't remember quite clearly, so don't quote me on it. But it could be a reflection similar to that.

It was intense. o_o I'd also go with the whole those who had the Echo were probably the ones who were hearing it, since we've heard the "Hear, Feel, Think" part already legitimately.

I'm also really fond of the idea that this was literally playing in the heads of all the people with the echo :3!

As far as the question posed by Draheim goes, I tend to feel that they probably couldn't hear it. When music plays in game, we tend not to recognize it ICly because it's just coming out of nowhere. It'd be weird if you heard a chocobo song pop up whenever you mounted your chocobo.

That said, I think you can maybe say that they can hear the song in a metaphorical sense. Like hearing the noises from the vibrations as Dalamud tears through Hydaelyn's atmosphere, like answers to the planet's call of distress, and thinking of it as a sort of song made by nature? I don't know. There's no reason given by the lore, apart from the nod given by Jainelette's harp playing, to think that Dalamud Answers is anything but a song meant only for the player to get in touch with the atmosphere of the current area in the current situation.

Like many things, I think it's not important enough to say it should be one way or the other.

What'd I'd like to see is something akin to how Battlestar Galactica (the reimagined version) used All Along the Watchtowers.  People know bits & pieces of the song, but no one knows the whole thing, until some big giant climatic scene.

I like this idea, might incorporate it for Xha'li if I can decide on a part that would fit him or that his mom would of hear when she was an adventurer herself and then passed on to him in stories.