RPing Miqo'te Tribes.

Clover

What server should we choose for a Miqo'te Tribe?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. What server should we choose for a Miqo'te Tribe?

I've always thought of Seekers as being like prides of lions, with the dominant males still depending on the females that support him and bear his children. A Nunh in a leadership role would have twice the amount of looking over his shoulder to do, given he'd have to protect both his position as a leader and as a Nunh, so I don't see that being very desirable. Though a badass mofo of a Nunh could probably handle it, I think Tia have the advance when it comes to holding other positions of power, seeing as they don't have to worry about the duty of siring.

In Y'el's story, her father was pretty much only good for pumping out kids, and kept his position more through guile than brute strength... Something else to think about. Her retainers are with her thanks to a desperate ploy by the elders of her branch of the tribe (it's important to note I don't necessarily think the rest of the Jaguar tribe is like them; just her immediate family) to force her to stop adventuring by having two wanna-be Nunhs get her pregnant. They're still technically Tia, but were promised they'd become Nunh officially if they knock her up. The thing is they're not worthy, and would lose the title in a hot second if challenged. This is just me playing with the politics of gaining power. The elders of Y'el's family are particularly manipulative like that, given their desperation to assure their particular bloodline doesn't die out since Dalamund decimated it.

When it comes to tribes, I don't think there's really a right or wrong way to play it. What really matters is the particular branch/familial circle your character comes from. That's where you really have the freedom to do as you see fit. Some branches are going to allow their men more power, others will use them only as breeding stock while the females do all the heavy lifting. The members of the same tribe might also balk at the practices of their cousins. We have the lore as a guideline and foundation to build upon, no one has to play it exactly the same.

As for the differences in naming, I see Seekers being named after the male who sired them because a male could potentially sire a lot of children in his lifetime, so it helps to keep track of who came from who. Keepers, with their much smaller tribes and smaller number of males, instead go for taking the names of their mothers, and the numbering of males is because they're just so damn rare, so each number is its own little badge of honor regardless of the actual value. I see both as matters of practicality, not something that lends more power to either sex.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always thought of Seekers as being like prides of lions, with the dominant males still depending on the females that support him and bear his children. A Nunh in a leadership role would have twice the amount of looking over his shoulder to do, given he'd have to protect both his position as a leader and as a Nunh, so I don't see that being very desirable. Though a badass mofo of a Nunh could probably handle it, I think Tia have the advance when it comes to holding other positions of power, seeing as they don't have to worry about the duty of siring.

In Y'el's story, her father was pretty much only good for pumping out kids, and kept his position more through guile than brute strength... Something else to think about. Her retainers are with her thanks to a desperate ploy by the elders of her branch of the tribe (it's important to note I don't necessarily think the rest of the Jaguar tribe is like them; just her immediate family) to force her to stop adventuring by having two wanna-be Nunhs get her pregnant. They're still technically Tia, but were promised they'd become Nunh officially if they knock her up. The thing is they're not worthy, and would lose the title in a hot second if challenged. This is just me playing with the politics of gaining power. The elders of Y'el's family are particularly manipulative like that, given their desperation to assure their particular bloodline doesn't die out since Dalamund decimated it.

When it comes to tribes, I don't think there's really a right or wrong way to play it. What really matters is the particular branch/familial circle your character comes from. That's where you really have the freedom to do as you see fit. Some branches are going to allow their men more power, others will use them only as breeding stock while the females do all the heavy lifting. The members of the same tribe might also balk at the practices of their cousins. We have the lore as a guideline and foundation to build upon, no one has to play it exactly the same.

As for the differences in naming, I see Seekers being named after the male who sired them because a male could potentially sire a lot of children in his lifetime, so it helps to keep track of who came from who. Keepers, with their much smaller tribes and smaller number of males, instead go for taking the names of their mothers, and the numbering of males is because they're just so damn rare, so each number is its own little badge of honor regardless of the actual value. I see both as matters of practicality, not something that lends more power to either sex.

I can see that last thing being a good point to make, since indeed seekers are more based around them having Nunh while Keepers are indeed smaller families, and about the actual family instead of having a large tribe with possible multiple families within in. (or a smaller one, but it would still have a Nunh likely. The different families in a smalller tribe would likely harbor from the fact that a Nunh can be challenged and defeated by any worthy Tia and then that new Nunh will breed his own line)

I also agree with the whole "it's probably slightly differently RPed from RPer to RPer how they see their own personal tribe" which is fine (as long as it's not completely wrong like waaaay out there) as that brings interesting and diverse RP as I mentioned. It would be boring if all the tribes were the same, they must have their differences after all.

That said, yours is an interesting take but my tradition set/honorable character would have a huge problem hearing about those elders of yours :P He's already encountered two others that had horrible tribes, ultimately the blame was not on them though. There are a few (very few) certain exceptions where he might see leaving a "tribe" a good thing to do, especially if it's for the sake of your offspring.

That's only obviously when he considers that tribe dishonorable and dysfunctional in the first place. Like a tribe that was started by a Tia who left another tribe. If you are on Balmung we should RP sometime, Athir Nunh being my display name.

I'm indeed on Balmung as Y'el Vhez, and yes, we should definitely RP, though Y'el's not one to talk much, let alone about her messed up branch of the tribe. I'm really looking forward to meeting other Miqo'te and seeing people's takes on things in play... Just as soon as logging in no longer requires me to watch TV hitting 0 until I get in the queue.

I'm indeed on Balmung as Y'el Vhez, and yes, we should definitely RP, though Y'el's not one to talk much, let alone about her messed up branch of the tribe. I'm really looking forward to meeting other Miqo'te and seeing people's takes on things in play... Just as soon as logging in no longer requires me to watch TV hitting 0 until I get in the queue.

As long as you log in before American peak hours you are fine. Americans still can have it better in that it seems absolutely impossible to log in should a European crash during those peak hours, but while an American might have a bit of problems, he'll get in.

Not sure why, but that's how it is for all the Europeans and Americans I know with this issue. Atleast Europeans don't have lag despite where the servers are located

So there's one pretty serious implication about the whole Nunh/Tia thing that I've never heard mentioned... okay, so if only the Nunh is allowed to breed, does that mean every other male in the tribe isn't allowed to have sex at all? So every Tia is a virgin? That doesn't seem like a very realistic prospect to me. Thoughts?

So there's one pretty serious implication about the whole Nunh/Tia thing that I've never heard mentioned... okay, so if only the Nunh is allowed to breed, does that mean every other male in the tribe isn't allowed to have sex at all? So every Tia is a virgin? That doesn't seem like a very realistic prospect to me. Thoughts?

In theory, that'd be the case. In practice, there's probably "cheaters" who go around the system, homosexuality, and the like. In RL, in theory, no one who's in a standard, Western, monogamous marriage should sleep with someone outside of their marriage, but the statistics indicate otherwise. :) There's also the possibility that non-procreative sex is okay, but since we don't know anything in lore about birth control, that's speculative at best. All we know from the lore is that the cultural norm is indeed that tia don't get to bed the females of the tribe.

Of course, since this is a fairly grey area, you have the freedom, IMO, to write it as you like for your character's backstory.

In theory, that'd be the case. In practice, there's probably "cheaters" who go around the system, homosexuality, and the like. In RL, in theory, no one who's in a standard, Western, monogamous marriage should sleep with someone outside of their marriage, but the statistics indicate otherwise. :) There's also the possibility that non-procreative sex is okay, but since we don't know anything in lore about birth control, that's speculative at best. All we know from the lore is that the cultural norm is indeed that tia don't get to bed the females of the tribe.

Of course, since this is a fairly grey area, you have the freedom, IMO, to write it as you like for your character's backstory.

Pretty much everything about my character is screwed up since I thought Eva up (and rolled her, but rarely played) before any of the new naming and tribe lore came out (When DID that come out by the way?).

My idea now is that Eva's mother was probably in some sort of secret tryst with a Tia and ended up pregnant. The Tia would be exiled and the mother given the choice of abandoning the child or being banished as well. I'm thinking she gives up the child which is how Eva ends up in Ul'duh with no tribe prefix. As for having a surname I'm thinking despite the fact that Eva doesn't care much for cultural norms she's none too close to her father (perhaps because, though she's unwilling to admit it, she feels inadequate for being sired by an "unworthy" Tia) and thus refused to take his name. I'd imagine "Mhirravi" would just be a name she thought up that sounded pretty. I dunno.

Pretty much everything about my character is screwed up since I thought Eva up (and rolled her, but rarely played) before any of the new naming and tribe lore came out (When DID that come out by the way?).

My idea now is that Eva's mother was probably in some sort of secret tryst with a Tia and ended up pregnant. The Tia would be exiled and the mother given the choice of abandoning the child or being banished as well. I'm thinking she gives up the child which is how Eva ends up in Ul'duh with no tribe prefix. As for having a surname I'm thinking despite the fact that Eva doesn't care much for cultural norms she's none too close to her father (perhaps because, though she's unwilling to admit it, she feels inadequate for being sired by an "unworthy" Tia) and thus refused to take his name. I'd imagine "Mhirravi" would just be a name she thought up that sounded pretty. I dunno.

To satisfy your curiosity, the naming conventions posts are from 3/12/13. :)

I think your backstory's eminently reasonable. It explains why your character isn't keen on tribal society, why she has a non-standard name, and why she grew up in Ul'dah. It also fits with the lore. As for the last name, I think that's a great reason that can come up in RP (or be artfully dodged in RP, producing more RP as people try to pry into the truth of the matter :) ). In a number of fantasy canons, orphans and others who don't know their surname take a name of their choice. Or, of course, you could adapt a concept from A Song of Ice and Fire and say that, for instance, that's the last name of all children who grew up in the orphanage where she did (the Mhirravi Home for Wayward Souls?) -- assuming, of course, that works with your backstory. :)

• 1 month later...

There have been instances where some tribes have more than one Nunh.

EDIT: Where are all the tribal Miqo women on Gilgamesh? I've seen far more "city cats" and I'm starting to get worried no one chose the tribal route save for a handful that I have seen around.

Since a tribe is really just a large collection of groups controlling different territories, you can have more than one nunh. However, you can only have one nunh per territory. Think of "tribe" as similar to a Native American nation; the 26 tribes are more like that, consisting of many territories, each of which has one nunh, some tia, and 20 to 50 women.

To the question about the LS, Tribe of the Distant never materialized. I don't know if there's anything else similar about except the Hipparion Tribe.

Probably mentioned, but I was curious. If each tribe only has one Nunh, what happens when two male characters of the same tribe has the last name "Nunh"

Do we have a Highlander situation going on here, or what?

The lore states that it's possible for tribes to have multiple nunhs. It's also reasonable to assume that there isn't just a single K tribe, or a single U tribe. Rather, there are numerous groups that live separately and may or may not interact with one another on a regular basis.

However, you can only have one nunh per territory.

Nope!

Depending on its size, a tribe may have multiple nunh (a ratio of one nunh per ten to fifty females is average).

Source: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/61150-Miqo-te-Naming-Conventions

However, you can only have one nunh per territory.

Nope!

Depending on its size, a tribe may have multiple nunh (a ratio of one nunh per ten to fifty females is average).

Source: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/61150-Miqo-te-Naming-Conventions

That link doesn't tell the whole story. Indeed, I see your lore reference and raise you two: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/61260-Sunseekers-Ways-to-become-nunh-other-than-the-listed-ones?p=980471#post980471 and http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/61187-Male-Sunseeker-Miqo-Surnames?p=979682#post979682

The first post indicates that it's one nunh per hunting ground (which I've loosely termed a "territory"). The second post indicates that one becomes nunh of an area by acquiring territory of their own (you can also split off to form a new tribe, per http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/61187-Male-Sunseeker-Miqo-Surnames?p=979252#post979252, but that makes you an outcast).

So, per those dev post clarifications, a tribe can have multiple nunh. A territory has only one.

So, per those dev post clarifications, a tribe can have multiple nunh. A territory has only one.

Urgh. This would pretty much destroy the structure we've developed for the Hipparion tribe over the past several months. Honestly I think I may just ignore/handwave it. It's vague enough... >_>

There was some talk about a Linkshell for this at some point :), is there any known one on Balmung server?

I currently just moved to Balmung so i am just asking what is out there :)

That would be the Hipparion Tribe! :) We've got a whole desert nomad society and culture worked up for ourselves. It's been a blast.

Thanks so much :)

Also, I should have added this in my last post is there any movement of Keepers of the Moon roleplay?

Thanks in advance :chocobo:

I wouldn't worry too much about it, Naunet. The roleplayers-made Hipparion Tribe is not different, in practical terms, from any Linkshell or Free Company: it's a user made group with a user made microcanon. As long as it doesn't contradict the metaphysics or the 'hard' facts of ARR's lore, it shouldn't really matter that it's an odd tribe as far as the lore is concerned.

Urgh. This would pretty much destroy the structure we've developed for the Hipparion tribe over the past several months. Honestly I think I may just ignore/handwave it. It's vague enough... >_>

:( I would say that you can handwave it, though. As Ildur said, there's enough difference among social groups that a variance like that wouldn't be terribly strange.

I can also think of some ways to rejigger things to fit in if you want to be exacting about lore. Perhaps the tribe has a lot of territories that are very close together, and they view themselves more as one unified tribe as opposed to segregated territories? Maybe they interpret hunting grounds more loosely (for instance, covering different types of game in the same physical area)? I'm not familiar with the Hipparion Tribe's LS canon, but maybe one of those ideas helps.

I'm new to FF and the Miqo'te, so I'm still going through the larval "brain dump" stage. It seems to me that "tribe" (at the level of, say, the C tribe) encompasses a big enough population of Miqo'te that you'd almost have to have smaller divisions within it. Taking a guess way down at the small end of the scale, if there's a quarter of a million Mi'qote among the tribes, then each one would be about ten thousand. That's hundreds of breeding groups for each tribe.

Scottish clans have the idea of a sept, which can be considered to be a smaller subdivision of a clan, and made up of individual families. I'd imagine you'd see the same thing with Miqo'te: You'd have a tribe, which might be spread across a pretty big portion of the continent. Individual septs within the tribe would concentrate on a smaller area, or a village or two. Within the septs there'd be the individual breeding groups, as well as all the Tia from those groups.