Dragon Lore

Nox

As you can probably guess by the title... I'm looking for any and all lore related to the Dragons of ARR. Anything and everything, but (as with almost everything else I look for Lore of) I'm having troubles finding anything. There might be a huge lore deposit that I looked over, so yeah. Thanks in advance.

Only thing I know about them really is that they've been at war with Ishgard forever and a day, Bahamut is most likely their Primal, they once followed Midgardsormr (or however it's spelled this time), and technically at one point they defended Eorzea successfully from certain doom at the hands of the Garlean Empire when Midgardsormr sacrificed himself to destroy the... Argus? Whatever their flagship was called. Though in doing so he also unleashed the Primals.

As posted before, there's not really a lot to go on with the dragons.

I would advise caution if you're planning on heavily involving dragons with a backstory or any RP central story, as the conflict with the dragons and ishgard is very likely to be subjects touched upon in the future of FFXIV. So just keep that in mind, that while it's not fleshed out much at the moment, that will certainly change throughout the near future of A realm reborn's lifetime.

As posted before, there's not really a lot to go on with the dragons.

I would advise caution if you're planning on heavily involving dragons with a backstory or any RP central story, as the conflict with the dragons and ishgard is very likely to be subjects touched upon in the future of FFXIV. So just keep that in mind, that while it's not fleshed out much at the moment, that will certainly change throughout the near future of A realm reborn's lifetime.

My character's actually an Ishgardian Dragoon, I just wanted to read up on what my character should/might know about the adversaries he's fought.

What I could find:

Midgardsormr had been referred to as the Lord of Wyrms before its' demise, a title also attributed to Nidhogg once or twice. As an Ishgardian Nidhogg would be your main concern, the dragon has menaced the city eight times, each time driven back with heavy losses - the last time being twenty years before 1.x. On one occassion, a thousand years before 1.x and close to the founding of Ishgard, a Lancer named Haldrath cut out one of Nidhogg's eyes, becoming the first Dragoon - more specifically, the first of the Azure Dragoons. The Azure Dragoon is basically the chosen one, and from what I can tell seems to be chosen by Nidhogg's eye itself (which is now kept as a treasure of Ishgard).

This Lodestone post also makes mention of Nidhogg, and just how serious it is to the Ishgardians.

Before 1.x was shut down a few references were made to the God of Dragons which the others of the species worshiped as the Beastmen do the Primals, which some believed to be Nidhogg. Others thought this was actually cluing us in on Bahamut, and given what followed I'm inclined to believe in the latter.

That's about all I got.

Lore forums on Nidhogg.

Lore forums Dragon God speculation.

Haldrath.

Ishgard/Nidhogg connections.

Slight edit: Forgot to add this, but the only lore I could find on dragons as a species is that they live a very long time and are a bastard-and-a-half to kill.

My character's actually an Ishgardian Dragoon, I just wanted to read up on what my character should/might know about the adversaries he's fought.

Yeah, unfortunately we don't have a lot to gleam from even Ishgard, despite the fact the Dragoon storyline revolves around it. That's why it's real tough making a character with strong roots to a place we simply just don't know a lot about. It's why it's best to keep that information as vague as possible until we get an apt amount of information about the place.

If not, then you'll be having to retcon so much stuff once they actually open up Ishgard to us, or have a major story arc revolving around it and the dragons.

Regarding Ishgard there is some discussion IN THIS THREAD as well that might be worth checking out, but the lore we have to work with is pretty limited. It hasn't stopped a handful of us from tying our characters to it - some more than others. Eva's own ties to the city-state are somewhat distant and vague (erring on the side of caution), but I look forward to hearing more in ARR and as time goes on and expansions are released and such. It is definitely an interesting story and I can certainly understand the allure. :thumbsup:

There's some good info on Dragons and Dragoons in this video: 

It basically details the birth of Dragoons. How Halone led the founding fathers of Ishgard out of this village to the place where Ishgard sits today. But if you played 1.0 you know that Ishgard sits on a lone peak and has bridges connecting it to land. So these bridges were being built when Nidhogg first appears in the skies. Thordan, Haldrath's father took up lance against Nidhogg, but the power of the dragon bewitched his men and they tossed him from the bridge. Haldrath overcome with grief was able to break the dragon's spell. So he took up his father's spear and plunged it into Nidhogg's eye. 

Nidhogg's eye still remains in Ishgard today. But it exerts a powerful corrupting force over those who come near it or look into it. So it's kept locked away. 

But some minor facts about dragonkin themselves. They seem to corrupt the hearts and minds of men. Touching their skin makes you lose your mind. Apparently their presence has poisoned a couple lakes in Ishgard, making the water unfit to drink for anyone. Also the Archbishop made it law that you cannot look into the eyes of a dragon, touch one, or even listen to its words for your own safety. If any of these things happen to you, you cannot be trusted for fear of the dragon's control, and you are labeled a heretic.