Making Connections

Kevaraan grew up in Gridania and is/appears twenty-four cycles old (I'm not adding years on to account for the timeskip, personally.) Any character who might have grown up there at around the same time may have played with him as children. They might remember his parents, and his mother in particular--who was friendly but also highly eccentric and old-fashioned, prone to misinterpreting customs and figures of speech, often humorously. She worked as a healer/apothecary/general doctor or midwife, that sort of thing. (She was often viewed negatively by parents of the other children because of her mannerisms and personality.)

His family began to travel rigorously between the three city states when he was about eight, often only staying in one place for two weeks to a month at a time. That doesn't leave much for deep friendships, but he was often spotted in libraries in both Limsa Lominsa and Ul'Dah. 

His family stayed in Limsa Lominsa from three years prior to the Calamity, up to it, so one might know him from around the city or at the Arcanists' Guild, where he assisted and accompanied one of the apprentices. Anyone involved in the Lominsan military may know his father (and thus Kevaraan himself), who had many friends there, and served for a time.

Kevaraan is also known for frequenting each and every one of the guilds to some degree, but he is by no means a master at anything; his knowledges range from barely-fluent dabbling to perhaps an upper adept level at most. He does have disciplines he favors, particularly Alchemy, Lancing (?) and most/all forms of magic, given his interest in the Aether.

Sounds like Kevaraan and Shizu could have even traveled together at some point! They seem very similar!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kevaraan grew up in Gridania and is/appears twenty-four cycles old (I'm not adding years on to account for the timeskip, personally.) Any character who might have grown up there at around the same time may have played with him as children. They might remember his parents, and his mother in particular--who was friendly but also highly eccentric and old-fashioned, prone to misinterpreting customs and figures of speech, often humorously. She worked as a healer/apothecary/general doctor or midwife, that sort of thing. (She was often viewed negatively by parents of the other children because of her mannerisms and personality.)

His family began to travel rigorously between the three city states when he was about eight, often only staying in one place for two weeks to a month at a time. That doesn't leave much for deep friendships, but he was often spotted in libraries in both Limsa Lominsa and Ul'Dah. 

His family stayed in Limsa Lominsa from three years prior to the Calamity, up to it, so one might know him from around the city or at the Arcanists' Guild, where he assisted and accompanied one of the apprentices. Anyone involved in the Lominsan military may know his father (and thus Kevaraan himself), who had many friends there, and served for a time.

Kevaraan is also known for frequenting each and every one of the guilds to some degree, but he is by no means a master at anything; his knowledges range from barely-fluent dabbling to perhaps an upper adept level at most. He does have disciplines he favors, particularly Alchemy, Lancing (?) and most/all forms of magic, given his interest in the Aether.

Sounds like Kevaraan and Shizu could have even traveled together at some point! They seem very similar!

Entirely possible. Even if they weren't traveling for the same reasons, boats and airships certainly aren't instantaneous from an immersive viewpoint, and it would be relatively easy to get bored. So, I can see them at the very least striking up regular conversation--they do have the potential to get to know each other well, especially if these conversations happened frequently. 

He has always traveled with his parents (up until Carteneau), so he has no established group (like an expedition or anything like that) but it's certainly workable if you'd like.

Entirely possible. Even if they weren't traveling for the same reasons, boats and airships certainly aren't instantaneous from an immersive viewpoint, and it would be relatively easy to get bored. So, I can see them at the very least striking up regular conversation--they do have the potential to get to know each other well, especially if these conversations happened frequently. 

He has always traveled with his parents (up until Carteneau), so he has no established group (like an expedition or anything like that) but it's certainly workable if you'd like.

Well, as Shizu has no connections outside of the Free Company she's running with, I certainly wouldn't mind her having a "friend" outside it.

My character will be a mature student at the arcanist guild so he'll be looking for contacts with whom he can discuss matters of the arcane.

He's been commissioned to compile a Traveller's Guide to Eorzia by a local Limsa Lominsa publisher so if someone wanted to help with that storyline that would be great.

Finally, he fled from Ul'dah pre calamity after destroying his uncle's laboratory during an alchemy experiment that went wrong. Unfortunately his uncle died as a result. Anyone living in the area of the laboratory would remember the incident. He also had a number of friends and family members living in the city that he hasn't seen since he left.

Nearly completed my wiki which I will post shortly - that gives a little more background info.

My character will be a mature student at the arcanist guild so he'll be looking for contacts with whom he can discuss matters of the arcane.

He's been commissioned to compile a Traveller's Guide to Eorzia by a local Limsa Lominsa publisher so if someone wanted to help with that storyline that would be great.

Finally, he fled from Ul'dah pre calamity after destroying his uncle's laboratory during an alchemy experiment that went wrong. Unfortunately his uncle died as a result. Anyone living in the area of the laboratory would remember the incident. He also had a number of friends and family members living in the city that he hasn't seen since he left.

Nearly completed my wiki which I will post shortly - that gives a little more background info.

I wouldn't mind helping with the Traveler's Guide storyline. Sounds like it would be fun.

Clover has been working on her grandpa's magic shop in Limsa Lominsa for the past 5 years. The shop sells many curiosities, so you don't even need to be a mage in order to have visited it.

This isn't a real connection per se, more like "we might know each other"?

Hey so, this thread is rad.

Earlier I spotted some talk about Ul'dah, and some of the seedier parts of it. It just so happens that V'ahal Tia, (known commonly as Rendal around Ul'dah,) just so happens to be involved in some of that.

He's ex-hired muscle for the Platinum Mirage. He worked there for a handful of years before deciding to be fickle and running off towards Limsa. He's got a bit of trouble following him, seeing as how he's managed to wrack up some debt while there, and has some loan sharks sniffing about for clues as to where he went.

V'ahal is kind of a vagabond, and though he's part of a darker side of the city, he's a generally cheerful guy and having some folks who recognize him here and there would be sweet. Hit me up if folks is interested. :D

@ Kevran: It is possible your character may have heard of the odd Duskwight that lives outside limsa and conducts many experiments(Rogier).

Anyone else feel like this thread has been hijacked by the Limsa/Mage crowd? (not that that is a bad thing.cool.gif)

Hey so, this thread is rad.  

Earlier I spotted some talk about Ul'dah, and some of the seedier parts of it.  It just so happens that V'ahal Tia, (known commonly as Rendal around Ul'dah,) just so happens to be involved in some of that.  

He's ex-hired muscle for the Platinum Mirage.  He worked there for a handful of years before deciding to be fickle and running off towards Limsa.  He's got a bit of trouble following him, seeing as how he's managed to wrack up some debt while there, and has some loan sharks sniffing about for clues as to where he went.  

V'ahal is kind of a vagabond, and though he's part of a darker side of the city, he's a generally cheerful guy and having some folks who recognize him here and there would be sweet.  Hit me up if folks is interested.  :D

Debt buddies :moogle:! I will be sending some of you messages and thank you for the responses everyone. 

Haha @ LeCard, ikr? I don't mind though. I was actually a bit surprised that so many are choosing LL as their home as I was certain most characters would be from or currently living in Ul'dah. 

I won't be playing a magic user myself, but I really like the idea of a mage guild where all you nerds can sit around and talk about magic and making these go boom:geek: :P. I think it would be a great connection place for a lot of the people playing scholars.

Chiané: (Balamug)

Well she traveled a bit after Bahamut destroyed everything, though primarily kept to the Shroud/Xephatol/Twelveswood area- though in 5 years, I'd not be surprised to learn she headed south too- if there was good reason.

I'd say any DW could have run into her at some point. She's not reclusive, but she's quiet and keeps to herself.

Recently...

Those with the interest, might have seen her skill in woodworking or visiting the Carpentry guild.

She is resuming her training as a Pugilist... so might notice her 'round there. She also plans on working archery and lances.

T'kyiah: (Gigglemesh)

So.. Kya's just come out of her tribe in the Sagolii due to the leading of a dream telling her to head to Gridania. Naturally... she'd have to go overland to Ul'dah, spend a bit of time making gil to hire a guide to take her into the Shroud...

She's a Goldsmith, Alchemist and Lancer- could likely find her those places.

Not big on the Dancing Miqo crowd (she's pretty proud of her roots and tribe and doesn't understand why City Miqo would give that sense of family up.. and sell themselves to the highest bidder).

You could also have seen her running amok in those places getting into messes she -might- not be able to get out of....

I wouldn't mind helping with the Traveler's Guide storyline. Sounds like it would be fun.

Excellent - I'll put together some ideas I have and message them over to you. We'll see whe we go from there. Thanks for replying :)

@Freelance: I would love to be part of some sort of research group. My FC slot is taken, but I've got plenty of LS slots open. Also, it sounds like a total possibility that L'yhta and Flamel have met before!

@Shizu: If you worked on the docks for any period of time, and enjoy reading/scholarly pursuits, then you've probably met Flamel!

Well she traveled a bit after Bahamut destroyed everything, though primarily kept to the Shroud/Xephatol/Twelveswood area- though in 5 years, I'd not be surprised to learn she headed south too- if there was good reason.

I'd say any DW could have run into her at some point. She's not reclusive, but she's quiet and keeps to herself.

Recently...

Those with the interest, might have seen her skill in woodworking or visiting the Carpentry guild.

She is resuming her training as a Pugilist... so might notice her 'round there. She also plans on working archery and lances.

With all the training Lren would have been doing in the past five years in and around the Shroud, it's liable the two of them may have bumped into one another or even sparred, if she was perhaps training in the open!

Lren Rendarren:

Ever the one to test his own strength against others, he'd likely be seen training the Shroud and hanging about the Lancer's guild in more recent years. The occasional conversation with himself would also be something that would be apparent, if one saw him enough! Though generally quiet, he would generally praise those who demonstrated prowess in combat, regardless of which personality was speaking.

Recently...

With all the training Lren would have been doing in the past five years in and around the Shroud, it's liable the two of them may have bumped into one another or even sparred, if she was perhaps training in the open!

Lren Rendarren:

Ever the one to test his own strength against others, he'd likely be seen training the Shroud and hanging about the Lancer's guild in more recent years. The occasional conversation with himself would also be something that would be apparent, if one saw him enough! Though generally quiet, he would generally praise those who demonstrated prowess in combat, regardless of which personality was speaking.

Oooohhh and an Elezen too *peers* shall we share hatred or drinks? Or simply cross staves? Maybe all three?

En guarde!

((BTW- love your story so far :D ))

Oooohhh and an Elezen too *peers* shall we share hatred or drinks? Or simply cross staves? Maybe all three?

En guarde!

((BTW- love your story so far :D ))

A friendly or not so friendly rivalry? Hmm, choices! Though either would be fun! Depends on how their personalities would clash, or which of the two personalities Lren houses were more prominent at the time xD;;

((Thanks! xD Gonna work more on it when I have more time to sit and think! :3))

Howdy, folks! Apology beforehand if I'm considered barging in...

Well, I decided to try my luck here, so I wonder if any of your characters have a backstory connecting / relating to:

• an orphanage not located in any of the big or major settlements, or-
  • a small, street-side restaurant specializing in dumpling / gyoza / dim-sum, or-
  • a kind of shelter / sanctuary for wildlife or stray, abandoned animals.

If you don't mind, I would like to propose to relate my character (it's in the wiki) a little bit to those that have any of the three things I mentioned.

Mr. Wheel (my planned RP char) is about 40 years old, and his first real employment which is a staff in an orphanage is about 20+ years ago. So a potentially related character with 20+ years old of current age would be in theory is an infant back there who might remember Mr. Wheel as one of the staff who regularly became a target of pranks from the kids.

For the dumpling restaurant, it's a small, cheap eatery somewhere not too far from a main street of a city, popular for its delicious, freshly made dumplings yet sold with such low profit margins so it is very affordable to all travelers and adventurers with budget constraints.

-Wheel worked here as its kitchen staff about 15 years ago for 3 years straight.

Finally for the animal shelter, Mr. Wheel spends his time working here after he resigned from the restaurant, until 6 years ago his best friend, a bird, somehow escaped the shelter and thus marks the beginning of his journey throughout Hydaelyn in search of the bird.

Thanks for any of your time spent reading or considering this post. :blush:

Cool thread. I would like to offer the following connections for my characters: All my characters are on Balmung

Isielin Danar'i Wildwood, Female, Age 27. Archer and Pugilist.

Possible Connections:

+ Isielin grew up in an old traditions Wildwood clan deep in the Twelveswood. She was the clan elder's daughter. Her backstory is available for anyone who was part of the clan, or lived near the clan.

+ Isielin trained with the Wood Wailers for awhile. She is available for other Wood Wailers in her backstory.

+ Isielin currently works for the Knights of the Twelve, a good themed group based out of Ul'dah, available to be hired out to protect,serve, and assist the innocent. Also available to combat evil.

Ioshi von Silver Highlander, Female, Age 29. Thaumartage.

Possible Connections:

+Ioshi is a noble, who grew up in a very competitive environment of shadow and intrigue, of manipulations and struggles for power. There is a huge opening here for people from her past. I actually haven't pinpointed where she grew up, so can work with people on this.

+Ioshi runs an alchemist's lab out of Ul'dah. She is intelligent, with knowledge in several subjects, including medicine, science, and magic. She is available to be hired out for projects and quests. However, she is a noble. Gil holds little interest to her; she likes to trade in favors.

Nica Locke Keeper of the Moon, Female, Age 19. Conjurer

Possible Connections:

+Nica is a servant looking for a master. She cooks, cleans, heals, basically whatever she is commanded to do. She can only serve for three days, before she is required to return to her mysterious employers. Anything beyond those three days, and her employers will come looking for you...

Hope to hear from some of you!

Finally for the animal shelter, Mr. Wheel spends his time working here after he resigned from the restaurant, until 6 years ago his best friend, a bird, somehow escaped the shelter and thus marks the beginning of his journey throughout

Hydaelyn in search of the bird.

Thanks for any of your time spent reading or considering this post. :blush:

Dear Mr. Falkner; Izzy (Isielin) is a huge chocobo/animal lover, and would love to have this animal sanctuary in her background. Let me know if that works for you =)

Howdy, folks! Apology beforehand if I'm considered barging in...

Well, I decided to try my luck here, so I wonder if any of your characters have a backstory connecting / relating to:

• an orphanage not located in any of the big or major settlements, or-
  • a small, street-side restaurant specializing in dumpling / gyoza / dim-sum, or-
  • a kind of shelter / sanctuary for wildlife or stray, abandoned animals.

If you don't mind, I would like to propose to relate my character (it's in the wiki) a little bit to those that have any of the three things I mentioned.

Mr. Wheel (my planned RP char) is about 40 years old, and his first real employment which is a staff in an orphanage is about 20+ years ago. So a potentially related character with 20+ years old of current age would be in theory is an infant back there who might remember Mr. Wheel as one of the staff who regularly became a target of pranks from the kids.

Ohhh, I just may have to get in touch with you! Kinda fits my alt, so that would be an interesting interaction, for sure!

Dear Mr. Falkner; Izzy (Isielin) is a huge chocobo/animal lover, and would love to have this animal sanctuary in her background. Let me know if that works for you =)

Hi!

Does it mean that Izzy is the owner / manager of the animal sanctuary? If it's a yes then cool! And then maybe we could flesh out something about this relation tracing back about 11 - 12 years ago...

Is it fitting for Izzy (and your concept of her character) to be Mr. Wheel's employer back then?

If it's a yes, I just hope that Izzy's a patient Wildwood ladyboss, for employing a big dork such as Wheel must be a constant knock on her anger management's door :lol:

Ohhh, I just may have to get in touch with you! Kinda fits my alt, so that would be an interesting interaction, for sure!

Howdy!

Good to hear that! My guess it will be one of the mischievous kids, eh? :D

Howdy!

Good to hear that! My guess it will be one of the mischievous kids, eh? :D

More than likely, yup! xD Getting ready to send a few PM's so that it doesn't clutter the thread up so much!

@sanguineFenrir Taeh also grew up in Gridania and is of a similar age (I haven't settled on a particular age yet) so they could know each other from childhood. Although as Kevaraan moved away when he was 8 they might not remember each other.

Taeh is an orphan raised by an Elezen family in Gridania. Anyone who has a character, main or alt, that is part of an Elezen family based in Gridania that likes the idea of having an adopted Keeper of the Moon as part of the family please let me know.

Taeh's Miqo'te extended family was killed by a party of Wood Wailers who were attempting to stop Miqo'et poachers. I'm not totally set on this set, it could be some other species that killed them. However if anyone likes the idea of being either involved, knowing or related to this event again please let me know.

Oh, this is an awesome thread.

N'klas Tia (Male Miqo'te, Seeker, 16, Balmung)

• A few months before the Calamity, his mother dropped him off in a settlement of the Aldgoat tribe a few days outside of Limsa Lominsa. This settlement was then wiped out/scattered by the Calamity. I'd love for him to have some connections from there.
  • After the Calamity, he ended up in Limsa Lominsa and there he remains as of the launch of the game. He runs with a street gang of orphaned kids, mostly stealing and picking pockets. I'd love some connections either from the street gang, or maybe somebody who caught him stealing (or was left blissfully unaware and N'klas can quietly gloat around them in the future). Or even just a friendly face to a kid living on the streets.

Oh, this is an awesome thread.

N'klas Tia (Male Miqo'te, Seeker, 16, Balmung)

• A few months before the Calamity, his mother dropped him off in a settlement of the Aldgoat tribe a few days outside of Limsa Lominsa.  This settlement was then wiped out/scattered by the Calamity.  I'd love for him to have some connections from there.
  • After the Calamity, he ended up in Limsa Lominsa and there he remains as of the launch of the game.  He runs with a street gang of orphaned kids, mostly stealing and picking pockets.  I'd love some connections either from the street gang, or maybe somebody who caught him stealing (or was left blissfully unaware and N'klas can quietly gloat around them in the future).  Or even just a friendly face to a kid living on the streets.

If N'klas is running around Limsa, Shizu may have run into a few times. And if she was lost in thought, she'd be a really easy target for pick-pocketing.