Making Connections

I perused the forum and haven't seen this subject yet. Maybe its because we are still a bit ways away from launch? Anywho, I thought I would start this thread for anyone and everyone who wanted to make connections with other characters for when launch starts. Be it family, childhood friends, rivals, that guy's street performing Opo-opo you accidentally killed for exp and now he wants to kill you, etc. 

I shall start. *Ahem*. Dennthota has racked up a lot of debt in her past with her gambling problem and I was wondering if anyone would like to volunteer there character to be someone whom she is indebted to. I would prefer this to be a gil debt, but don't mind being indebted with favors or the likes. This relationship would likely be based around her continuing to try to get out of it, hide from the debtor, and maybe if there is enough people who would be interested, her actually paying the debt back to some people. The amount can be discussed and I do like using real gil in situations like this to keep the immersion. So free gil for you, yay! (If you can get her to fork it over 8-))

She also used to run with a little street gang in Ul'dah when she was in her teens and I would really love to have a connection in this department with other little rascals. Maybe even someone who brought her into the gang and taught her the ropes (she has a knack for rigging card and dice games). She is 27 and she arrived in Ul'dah when she was 14.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is a good idea.  There was recently a similar thread which you might want to bump as well (it was only down on page 3) about "You might know me from..." which offers some additional points of common interest from which connections may be drawn.  Also don't be afraid to shoot a PM to any other RPer that might be at the same place.  I think most would be happy to have some sort of connection, whether as just a passing acquaintance they know from working in a particular place to something more than that!

To address the post itself though, possible connections may be made through her work at Sunsilks Tapestries (mostly mending and commissions for various articles of clothing, but she dabbles a bit in design as well). Also volunteering at Stillglade Fane as a nurse she may have worked with other healer types or tended to you if you were ever a patient there while she was on duty (which exempts about five years for time-skippy reasons).

I can only think of two other significant overlap points, and both relate more specifically to her father, who was one of the dragoons of Ishgard for several years prior to Eva's birth, though he left Ishgard and the knighthood shortly after her birth (PM me if you want specifics years and such).

The other tie-in with her father might relate more specifically to the elite of Ul'dah. Eva's avoided her family name 'Zelorius' for a certain stigma that was attached to it for several years. Characters who are older (or their parents) might remember that name as being attached to a certain merchant who was accused of murdering a number of key individuals after they 'conveniently' turned up dead. While the charges never stuck since there was insufficient evidence, he was presumed guilty by his peers and his business ruined. He kept what wealth he had accumulated and lived out the rest of his life as a sort of hermit in Gridania, his health declining more rapidly after that for about fifteen years until he eventually died. These events were later found out to be the product of a frame job meant by one of Ul'dah's elite to keep an ambitious self-starter from climbing that particular ladder any further, but it's entirely possible that a wealthy family might have somehow been involved (related to those who framed her father, or related to one of the victims even).

Excellent idea!

Amaare is a former sailor and treasure hunter on the side he dips and dabbles into a few other areas, sometimes handling things for regular folk who need help whether its finding things for them, relocating family members, etc. At one time he had a boat that was destroyed during the Calamity he was pretty well known in Limsa Lominsa and to a lesser extent Vesper Bay due to his father who ran the treasure hunting business before him. The name of the business was called Priceless Treasures Inc. Their family came from a long line of treasure hunters, pirates, privateers and the like. Some who have known the family for a really long time know that they are not originally from Eorzea.

Often times they would also hire mercs and adventurers to come along on these excursions. He is known for his antics and his womanizing and also as the now deceased Aizan Margolis's son. He may have had a relationship with someone at one time or an other whether semi serious or casual. He may a small amount of money from borrowing it to gamble and needs to pay it back. You may have accompanied him and his dad in the past on one of the treasure hunting excursions.

If your character is a drinker you may be drinking buddies with him or have gambled with him. If your character is a beautiful woman you may have been hit on by him lol. Feel free to slap him upon seeing him for something he did the last time you were together lol (no stds though lol) If you are an older character you may know him as Aizan's crazy son. He grew up in Limsa and is a known face in Limsa more than anywhere else where he is relatively unknown. Currently he has been hanging out in Ul'dah due to losing the family boat. I am also quite open to having rival treasure hunters whether male or female and frenemies along with good friends. I would love to have rival treasure hunters who were rivals of his dad with their own respective businesses. He is also known for his way around a kitchen and great baritone singing voice almost equal to a Bard. Aizan used to sometimes stop at port and invite sailors on the ship for a fish fry and some drinking, card games and gambling. Amaare would cook the fish during these events and sing funny sailor songs. Those who may have known him as a child would know that he was mischevious and constantly got into trouble.

This is an interesting counterpart to "You might know me from...", since I think it deals more with requested connections than just where you can be found. :)

L'yhta frequents all three guilds of magic; among those guilds, she has a reputation as a very talented and enthusiastic learner who can also often be a difficult one due to her arrogance. If you're looking for someone to "talk shop" with, or just to RP with when it comes to metaphysics or just magic in general, look me up. There's the possibility of master-apprentice RP (she's talented and knowledgeable enough to teach, if she chooses to) as well as fellow mage RP.

snip

I shall start. *Ahem*. Dennthota has racked up a lot of debt in her past with her gambling problem and I was wondering if anyone would like to volunteer there character to be someone whom she is indebted to. I would prefer this to be a gil debt, but don't mind being indebted with favors or the likes. This relationship would likely be based around her continuing to try to get out of it, hide from the debtor, and maybe if there is enough people who would be interested, her actually paying the debt back to some people. The amount can be discussed and I do like using real gil in situations like this to keep the immersion. So free gil for you, yay! (If you can get her to fork it over 8-))

Obei might be able to help you,

Obei was an alchemist's apprentice many years ago under Sorren the Culler. He was very strict which gave Obei drive to be the best. Because of this Obei spent many many hours perfecting his craft and working to setup shop in Ul'dah (where he lived for most of his life).

Obei eventually became a master alchemist selling his potions and enchanted items, amassing a large amount of gil in the process.

I made a lot of gil in 1.0 with my alchemist at the start of the game, so I thought it might be easy to tie in that you would have borrowed from me. If you are interested in coming up with a connection let me know.

Unfortunately Zha'li can't really help you LandStander, but I will make good use of your thread here!  =)

I'd be very happy to have either:

A tribe-mate of Zha'li's (I have notes on his tribe on his character wiki, linked in my sig).  They could be blood related or not.  I think it'd be fun in a way if this character (especially female) was asked to half watch over him a bit.  Someone from a neighboring tribe who knew him would be just as good.

Or:

There's a traveling Hyur in his background (I'll point at my wiki again if you'd like to see how he and Zha'li interacted), and I'd actually love to have someone else who actually knows him for Zha'li to look for the man with.  I haven't fully set up who the traveling Hyur is yet, though he is Garlean (and likely not with the best past ever).  So there's probably a lot of room to work here, if anyone is interested.

I have a near-op bounty hunting character who'd like to have some area in Ul'dah to frequent for business. I thought it'd be nice if he had one or two people who regularly assigned him contracts but I suppose this would be difficult to organise since you actually require someone who is on the run and willing to co-operate with him once/if he finds them.

Aside from that, said person could also take messages for him and organise meetings for anyone that wants a kill/capture if they haven't heard of my character and therefore don't contact him directly.

Eheh... writing it out makes it sound awfully complicated and unlikely to work but I'll remain hopeful ^^

I also have a character who is part of a noble family and, because of his connections, landed a prestigious job as a castle guard at a relatively young age(21) which I think would mean he'd be a Sultansworn? If that term is correct.

In any case, he abandoned his post and left Ul'dah after getting into a little trouble so if anyone is involved with that business then they could be familiar with him and the trouble he is in. In addition to that, if anyone has a character playing a tavern owner in Ul'dah then you could be familiar with him for similar reasons.

I think this is a good place to plunk this down.

Hirilonde Turuphant is a former Knight of the Barracuda, who left their ranks after the Battle of Carteneau due to a difference of opinion between him and his superiors. They believed that they didn't know anyone named Hirilonde Turuphant, thanks to the effects of whatever happened in the final battle, and Hirilonde failed to argue his position to the contrary effectively seeing as he was stuck in stasis outside of the flow of time for five years.

So, abruptly, as he's preparing to catch a megaflare with his face, he suddenly finds himself on the border of Gridania and Coerthas, alone, with no idea how he got there. All his linkpearls are grey and dead, and he only has what little he carried into battle with him. His sword, his shield, his armor, maybe a few rations, but he went light. There's no point in carrying heavy supplies into what is likely your final battle.

So now he stumbles into the Twelveswood, unaware that any time had passed. He'll need to meet some people to educate him, possibly treat him for the effects of making the journey from the mountains on foot with insufficient supplies.

He has a daughter in Limsa, Isilme (My main), and a wife (M'ahayi, deceased in the Calamity when Bahamut bombed the city,though there is no real way to know this without finding her gravestone)

Chances are he's going to need to spend some time in Gridania, to recover, and to earn his way via odd jobs (Gil isn't something you usually carry in large quantities in a fight). It's been a lot of years since he has worked as an adventurer.

See his 100 questions if you want to know more: http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=2688&pid=35966#pid35966

@Freelance: Flamel will be traveling to Ul'Dah to join the Thaumaturge's guild come launch. A colleague to speak with about the void/aether/black magic, would be something he would welcome happily.

From Flamel's past; anyone who ever needed transportation or light smuggling, or the need to lay low outside of Eorzea, to the southern islands for any reason (from Limsa), would be a welcome addition. Flamel doesn't necessarily enjoy having broken the law at anytime, but if the reasoning was sound he'd accept it. Depending on the reasoning, he would be sympathetic, or trying to forget. Other than that, anyone from Limsa who often frequented the docks, could be a potential friend or acquaintance.

@Freelance: Flamel will be traveling to Ul'Dah to join the Thaumaturge's guild come launch. A colleague to speak with about the void/aether/black magic, would be something he would welcome happily.

(...)

Other than that, anyone from Limsa who often frequented the docks, could be a potential friend or acquaintance.

Spiffy. :) Also, since L'yhta does hang around the docks a fair amount in Limsa Lominsa (her apartment is fairly near there), it's possible they've seen each other if not formally met. That might be a handy excuse to meet up -- "Hey, haven't I seen you before?"

I'll go ahead and post here

Ashren before the Calamity was a researcher for the Blades of Nald'thal, his primary studies were things like the many different applications of Aether and the crystallization process from Aether into Aetherite, eventually his studies lead him into some much more darker studies such as performing alchemical tests on crminals to alter memories or cause intense hallucinations, as well as researching the Void (which had some dire consequences for him). In addition, Ashren ran the entire research team fro the Blades and often dealt with Freelance researchers by funding their own studies (often anonymously) from the coffers of the organization, in exchange for having access to said research and the fruits of those labors.

If anyone is interested in playing one of Ashren's former test subjects, or any researcher who used to work with him on his myriad of studies (I've already actually met with someone who was interested in this) then let me know.

In addition, the Blades will need work for us to thrive in the way I would like, so if anyone ever has need of morally gray, slightly nefarious vigilantes let us know!

Looking over all the replies here, i supposed I should drop this here.

@Flamel: Rogier spent the missing five year in the southern seas, so maybe we could work something out where he used your services in some way during that time.

@Freelancewizard: Rogier is an Arcanist researcher who dabbles in alchemy should you ever want to talk shop with him, or some such interaction.

The above goes for anyone else that may want to stop rogier and talk to him.

@ashren: you could perhaps persuade rogier to do some research for you, though he may be more interested in your Aether subjects of research. that is a large focus of his own research.

on other notes, Rogier can be found wandering Limsa for research supplies and a good meal.(and to a lesser extent the market stalls of the other nations)

I shall post here as well - and wanted to say quickly, while Gilgamesh will be my primary server, Poe will also exist on Balmung, so I am looking for connections for both!

• Your character might know her from her travels with her mother as they were merchants. Looking for potential merchant relationships or buyer/client relationships - she has continued doing trader/merchant work and recently has started delving into acquiring challenging items for well paying customers.

• Your character might have recognized her from wandering the docks (or fishing there), clearly intrigued by the ships and those around them. Poe loves stories about being on the water, looking for some social acquaitances or friendships around these experiences or interests

• If your character enjoys smoking green, you may have heard of her family's legendary crops. Poe has continued her family's work in many ways, along with her more conventional trading.

I'm pretty sure I'm Balmung-side... ah, here goes

You might know Koren ---

Through her parents; Koren grew up travelling all over the world with her parents, Lhen'sae and Khtosi Panipar who were rather well known for their Arcanist oriented studies; researching the aether, Primals, summons, and their various connections. They were anthropologists of a sort as well; living in study of the Sylphs and other beast tribes as a means of understanding the Primals. At the time of their disappearance they were taking readings on the changes in Aether at the presence of Bahamut in relation to other Primals that had entered the world. It's worthy of note that Koren is the Arcanist of her family rather than her parents and thus she features often in their papers.

Through her own research; having inherited a lot of her parents notes and being a prodigy herself (though that may be a bit through nuture rather than nature as she grew up immersed in magical study) Koren often does freelance work on Arcanist studies. She's a heavy frequenter of libraries though she prefers to be out in the field dabbling and experimenting.

Through cultural events; as she enjoys the finer things in life. Music? Food? Beautiful very feminine dresses? Adorable (overly expensive) cute cakes? Koren has a weakness for art and beauty and can be lured into indulging whenever there's the chance.

Yes, Balmung all the way!

Through her parents; Koren grew up travelling all over the world with her parents, Lhen'sae and Khtosi Panipar who were rather well known for their Arcanist oriented studies; researching the aether, Primals, summons, and their various connections.  They were anthropologists of a sort as well; living in study of the Sylphs and other beast tribes as a means of understanding the Primals.  At the time of their disappearance they were taking readings on the changes in Aether at the presence of Bahamut in relation to other Primals that had entered the world.  It's worthy of note that Koren is the Arcanist of her family rather than her parents and thus she features often in their papers.

Through her own research; having inherited a lot of her parents notes and being a prodigy herself (though that may be a bit through nuture rather than nature as she grew up immersed in magical study) Koren often does freelance work on Arcanist studies.  She's a heavy frequenter of libraries though she prefers to be out in the field dabbling and experimenting.

I'll definitely have my eyes on you.

(...)

Other than that, anyone from Limsa who often frequented the docks, could be a potential friend or acquaintance.

Spiffy. :) Also, since L'yhta does hang around the docks a fair amount in Limsa Lominsa (her apartment is fairly near there), it's possible they've seen each other if not formally met. That might be a handy excuse to meet up -- "Hey, haven't I seen you before?"

Sounds like a plan. Perhaps he could have had a 'void slip' and when he stirred, L'yhta was inquiring about his funny behavior (standing still and motionless for random amounts of time. Which, could have eventually led to a conversation about said void. I don't know how curious L'yhta is. Would she find it odd if a random lala was just standing motionless and zoned out for awhile? And knowing it had something to do with the void/aether, would that peak her interest? I'm just spitballing here.

@Rogier: If you were seeking passage away from Eorzea or too it, or both, then Flamel could have aided in said passage.

To anyone else, I also forgot to mention that Flame is an avid reader and pursuer of all things scholarly. (And I don't mean scholarly like the job.) xD

Ok, so Shizu is from Limsa, so anyone who frequented the docks could potentially know her. Also, anyone from Limsa could potentially know her parents who both died out at sea in a shipwreck during a storm (although no one knows if the storm was the cause of the sinking ship.

After that, she took an interest in scholarly studies, so anyone who did research in a library from any of the major cities could have run across her in her travels. 

Now she works as a Book-keeper and public relations for an odd-jobs company called The Hungry Wolf. So, LandStander, she could potentially be a debtor if you could have ended up in debt to a freelancing company.

Anyone that wants to make connections, lemme know! I can give you Shizu's full backstory (her wiki page should be done soon, I hope.)

Sounds like a plan. Perhaps he could have had a 'void slip' and when he stirred, L'yhta was inquiring about his funny behavior (standing still and motionless for random amounts of time. Which, could have eventually led to a conversation about said void. I don't know how curious L'yhta is. Would she find it odd if a random lala was just standing motionless and zoned out for awhile? And knowing it had something to do with the void/aether, would that peak her interest? I'm just spitballing here.

To answer your question: she's obsessively curious. That's exactly the sort of thing that'd prompt her to poke and prod -- especially if it had to do with magic in any form. :) I can see her seeing Flamel zoned out and her walking over to poke him a few times, wave a hand in front of his face, and otherwise wonder what sort of magic (or, uh, herbal "magic," she might think :) ) is messing with his head.

@Rogier: Neat. L'yhta also practices Alchemy and Arcana, so she'd be very interested in chatting with him.

You know -- and this is totally off-topic for this thread -- I wonder if an LS or FC that's a "mages' club" or "mages' guild" would have significant traction. *ponders*

EDIT: @Shizu: If you're interested in a connection, L'yhta's often coming and going from libraries, checking in and out books on various esoteric magical topics. It's possible they've run into each other that way.

*snip*

You know -- and this is totally off-topic for this thread -- I wonder if an LS or FC that's a "mages' club" or "mages' guild" would have significant traction. *ponders*

As I plan on playing mostly as an Arcanist, I can get behind this idea.

*snip*

As I plan on playing mostly as an Arcanist, I can get behind this idea.

I would sign up for this, though there might be ulterior motives for Rogier(though I suspect that could be said for most who would join such a "research" groupwink.gif)

in fact I am rather surprised such does not already exist.

FreelanceWizard

@Rogier: Neat. L'yhta also practices Alchemy and Arcana, so she'd be very interested in chatting with him.

I guess they will have to bump into each other as he returns from his research in the south. He is known to (if the game mechanic allow) have his Carbuncle at his side at (or nearly so) all times, so spotting him as an Arcanist wouldn't be difficult. also, he is likely to be looking at books/research material anytime he is seen.

I think I'll leave this here.

Idristan Strout was a pirate for 10 years after running away from home. He's now "retired" and spends all his time in Limsa Lominsa fishing, drinking, fighting, or doing odd jobs and favors to keep himself staying a float.

People who might know him could be from the Limsa Lominsa area that always see him fishing or causing a ruckus and then most obviously people from his life as a pirate would know him well too.

Through her parents; Koren grew up travelling all over the world with her parents, Lhen'sae and Khtosi Panipar who were rather well known for their Arcanist oriented studies; researching the aether, Primals, summons, and their various connections.  They were anthropologists of a sort as well; living in study of the Sylphs and other beast tribes as a means of understanding the Primals.  At the time of their disappearance they were taking readings on the changes in Aether at the presence of Bahamut in relation to other Primals that had entered the world.  It's worthy of note that Koren is the Arcanist of her family rather than her parents and thus she features often in their papers.

Through her own research; having inherited a lot of her parents notes and being a prodigy herself (though that may be a bit through nuture rather than nature as she grew up immersed in magical study) Koren often does freelance work on Arcanist studies.  She's a heavy frequenter of libraries though she prefers to be out in the field dabbling and experimenting.

And thus Ashran becomes one of the few, one of the proud... one of the people actually addressed as "Sir"

And thus Ashran becomes one of the few, one of the proud... one of the people actually addressed as "Sir"

This can only spell disaster for his Blades. "She calls me sir, why don't the rest of you call me sir?!"

Kevaraan grew up in Gridania and is/appears twenty-four cycles old (I'm not adding years on to account for the timeskip, personally.) Any character who might have grown up there at around the same time may have played with him as children. They might remember his parents, and his mother in particular--who was friendly but also highly eccentric and old-fashioned, prone to misinterpreting customs and figures of speech, often humorously. She worked as a healer/apothecary/general doctor or midwife, that sort of thing. (She was often viewed negatively by parents of the other children because of her mannerisms and personality.)

His family began to travel rigorously between the three city states when he was about eight, often only staying in one place for two weeks to a month at a time. That doesn't leave much for deep friendships, but he was often spotted in libraries in both Limsa Lominsa and Ul'Dah. 

His family stayed in Limsa Lominsa from three years prior to the Calamity, up to it, so one might know him from around the city or at the Arcanists' Guild, where he assisted and accompanied one of the apprentices. Anyone involved in the Lominsan military may know his father (and thus Kevaraan himself), who had many friends there, and served for a time.

Kevaraan is also known for frequenting each and every one of the guilds to some degree, but he is by no means a master at anything; his knowledges range from barely-fluent dabbling to perhaps an upper adept level at most. He does have disciplines he favors, particularly Alchemy, Lancing (?) and most/all forms of magic, given his interest in the Aether.