RP Macros and questions

So I was getting acquainted with Macros today.  I suppose I shouldnt' say that.  I was an ardent macro-holic in SWG and FFXI and other games but it's been a while since I've used them and figured since i"m a healer type I may as well get in the swing of it.

I also figured I'd have some fun with it and try to RP-ify my macros.  Sadly I was hoping for a slightly more complex macro system that would let me randomize various RP comments or actions while casting a spell but there was no randomization to be had and saying the same thing everytime I cast cure is not going to fly, so won't be doing that.

My question as I've not been able to get an answer or figure it out for myself, is can I put the sounds into my macros?  I duno if some recall during FFXI you could *ding* the party so to speak say..if your health was low, a sound would play and your indicators would come up.  In this case I just want to use it for my own purposes to *ding* myself when certain cooldowns or buffs are wearing off.

Any help would be hawtsauce

Not sure about the ding option, but I know I have a few macros in mind regarding giving commands to carbuncle IC. (he has a name and everything)

on another casting note, you could go with the idea that casting requires some sort of spoken aspect (with a potential exception being Arcanist) and build in a phrase you say for each spell.

example:

Flower, gleam and glow

Let your power shine

Make the clock reverse

Bring back what once was mine

Heal what has been hurt

Change the Fates' design

Save what has been lost

Bring back what once was mine…

(taken from Disney: Tangled)

Google popped up with.

@Virgil you could always make a seperate IC and OOC party hotbar. one with macros that have /say bindings and one without.

The sheer amount of rage I would get if I had disney lyrics pop up everytime I cast cure..would almost be funny enough to see it happen...but no..

LoL

Yeah I was guna bind certain phrases and the like but don't want it to just be the same over and over again.  Guna see if I can work some magic with the Anansi keyboard.

I echo your concern about generating speech every time you cast something. :) You might be able to get away with that for abilities more rarely used (Raise, maybe Sleep, Protect, etc.), but since it'd be the same text every time, I think it'd get a little old after a while.

My question as I've not been able to get an answer or figure it out for myself, is can I put the sounds into my macros?  I duno if some recall during FFXI you could *ding* the party so to speak say..if your health was low, a sound would play and your indicators would come up.  In this case I just want to use it for my own purposes to *ding* myself when certain cooldowns or buffs are wearing off.

They did just add the ability to make sounds in the party; placeholders through will associate a sound with your macro that only your party can hear. However, I don't believe there's any way to make that trigger based on outside conditions.

I'm absolutely afraid of touching the macro system. Not because it's not convenient or anything, but because I always get this temptation to bind /say commands to each of my abilities, which would subsequently piss everyone off.

I know what you mean!

What kind of black mage does NOt say "Fire!" when casting a Fire spell?

I don't know much about macros or if it's possible to do sounds in them...

All I know is some people have been macro-ing their crafting so they can craft nice and quick without hurting their fingers and without wasting potential xp by using quick synthesis.

They did just add the ability to make sounds in the party; placeholders through will associate a sound with your macro that only your party can hear. However, I don't believe there's any way to make that trigger based on outside conditions.

That said, please don't attach them to everything. If you need a macro button to raise a sound in extreme emergency I get it, but they've suggested they will be using the FFXI style 'call' sounds. Those things gave myself, among others, migraines.

Shouldn't bother me too much if you do. As soon as the release client comes down I'll set up some blank sound files and a batch file to replace the call signs after every update to make sure I'm not bothered. Most people though, won't do that and having loud noises every time you cast protect or cure is going to hurt people who are sensitive to high pitched noises like I am. For the record, Valk in FFXI also triggered migraines from the bright light and I had to lower my contrast and brightness to play there but I've seen a lot of similar triggery complaints about call sounds.

To be honest, I read this post earlier today and I have been thinking about how it would look in game from a RP point of view all day.

Now one of the idea's I was thinking is why not add a little bit of Final Fantasy 8 into the spells; here is an example:

/cast Fire 1 - "Fire" *Combat Fire 1 attack*

/cast Fire 2 - "Fira" *Combat Fire 2 attack*

/cast Fire 3 - "Firaga" *Combat Fire 3 attack*

/cast Blizzard 1 - "Blizzard" *Combat Blizzard 1 attack*

/cast Blizzard 2 - "Blizzara" *Combat Blizzard 2 attack*

/cast Blizzard 3 - "Blizzarga" *Combat Blizzard 3 attack*

/cast Thunder 1 - "Thunder" *Combat Thunder 1 attack*

/cast Thunder 2 - "Thundara" *Combat Thunder 2 attack*

/cast Thunder 3 - "Thundaga" *Combat Thunder 3 attack*

/cast Cure 1 - "Cure" *Combat Cure 1 healing spell*

/cast Cure 2 - "Cura" *Combat Cure 2 healing spell*

/cast Cure 3 - "Curaga" *Combat Cure 3 healing spell*

As you can see, the person macro's a say chant which changes depending on the chant they uses, if people don't like say they could just change it into a emote kinda like: {Skjold} Begins to chant the words "Fire" causing fire to erupt out of his hands towards his target.

Now people will most likely say after a while the macro will become boring & annoying, this brings me to a question. On every Final Fantasy game when the user cast's a spell over and over again, has it actually bothered you?

This is really the same principle but this time used to make Roleplay more realistic for casters. Before I stop I would like to add one last thing,do you know how cool it would be if summoners chanted IC; for example:

/summon Ifirit "Rise out the Hellfire, Ifirt" *Summons Ifirt minion*

/summon Carbuncle "Protect me from this foe, Carbuncle" *Summons Carbuncle minion*

Anyway you get the point, isn't summoning about asking to lend another creature power, this would be a fitting way for calling. At the end of the day this is to help boost caster Roleplay. Actually now that I think about it most classes can use this method; a simple example is a gladiator.

/basic attack "Cross Slash" *Use basic attack*

/basic defend "You wont get past me" *Use defend CD*

/summon Carbuncle "Protect me from this foe, Carbuncle" *Summons Carbuncle minion*

Anyway you get the point, isn't summoning about asking to lend another creature power, this would be a fitting way for calling. At the end of the day this is to help boost caster Roleplay. Actually now that I think about it most classes can use this method; a simple example is a gladiator.

I like the idea, though I'm not sure how saying IC fire/fira/firaga etc. would mesh with lore.

While it would take some more research on the part of summoner/scholar to see the lore for their "summons" I haven't noticed the Arcanist needing a vocal component as an aspect of their magic.

"Adepts of the art of arcanum derive their might from symbols of power born of geometric techniques hailing from across the southern seas. Held within occult grimoires, these symbols lend shape to the arcanist's aether, thereby allowing him to produce myriad powerful spells.

Using the selfsame symbols to unlock the latent power contained within gemstones, arcanists are also able to summon forth the familiar known as Carbuncle to carry out their bidding"

Their power is born out of the symbols and the mathematical manipulation of Aether. So you could potentially have a mute arcanist, maybe. (need some lore checking on that. ) Now I do include some vocal commands for Carbuncle after he is summoned, and maybe even during summoning as more of a character quick than part of his casting.

I like the idea, though I'm not sure how saying IC fire/fira/firaga etc. would mesh with lore.

While it would take some more research on the part of summoner/scholar to see the lore for their "summons" I haven't noticed the Arcanist needing a vocal component as an aspect of their magic.

"Adepts of the art of arcanum derive their might from symbols of power born of geometric techniques hailing from across the southern seas. Held within occult grimoires, these symbols lend shape to the arcanist's aether, thereby allowing him to produce myriad powerful spells.

Using the selfsame symbols to unlock the latent power contained within gemstones, arcanists are also able to summon forth the familiar known as Carbuncle to carry out their bidding"

Their power is born out of the symbols and the mathematical manipulation of Aether. So you could potentially have a mute arcanist, maybe. (need some lore checking on that. ) Now I do include some vocal commands for Carbuncle after he is summoned, and maybe even during summoning as more of a character quick than part of his casting.

With Fire, Fira, Firaga yeah they could be conflictions with the lore but a way around this is to use the word as a sort of railing, your not sure on your capabilities to cast the spell on your own, this is why you say the fira for example when you are trying to cast to allow you focus enough to use the spell.

As for arcanists, when I said it, I thought of the caster requesting to lend the creature power.

I won't lie my lore regarding spells on Final Fantasy Online is little to none, if it was the other Final Fantasy's I would been better off.

• 2 months later...

Well I have started using Macros for RP, I play a bard and when you have set pieces to perform it is better than cut/pate for every line. I have also started mixing in emotes for characterisation.

Here are some tips:

• You get 15 lines so split things over separate macros
  • The /wait is good to provide a gap between each line rather than pop a wall of text
  • Emotes with the "motion" modifier don't generate an emote
  • Use "/ac" to activate a skill, such as one of the bard songs
  • Alt and keypad 13 gets you ♪, or other alt presses
  • Good emotes are angry, yes, no, sooth. But use others too for effect.

Ok so perhaps best to give you an example.

/ac "swiftsong"

/em strikes up a chord to call attention

/wait 5

/s This is a song about ... well you will see

/s ♪ Lavender blue and Rosemary green, ♪

/wait 5

/yes motion

/s ♪ When I am king you shall be queen; ♪

/wait 6

/s ♪ Call up my maids at four o'clock, ♪

/wait 5

/angry motion

/s ♪Some to the wheel and some to the rock; ♪

/wait 5

/soothe motion

/s ♪ Some to make hay and some to shear corn, ♪

/wait 5

/joy motion

/s ♪ And you and I will keep the bed warm. ♪

I put a /say on my lesser skills. That way I get my fun, but I don't drive my party insane. I'm a pally so I add a /say to Protect, Raise, and Mercy Stroke. That seems fair and I've only had one complaint, the guy said it was stupid, so I canceled the Raise and left him there. I also have two social macros, one a prayer to Halone, and an introduction.

I will say to anyone that ever parties with me, especially if you are a mage, by all means, you can add flavor text to your spells. I think its fun, and I'll never whine about a /say on heal as long as your healing me.

P.S. I get most of my text from FFT.

Well I have started using Macros for RP, I play a bard and when you have set pieces to perform it is better than cut/pate for every line. I have also started mixing in emotes for characterisation.

Here are some tips:

• You get 15 lines so split things over separate macros
  • The /wait is good to provide a gap between each line rather than pop a wall of text
  • Emotes with the "motion" modifier don't generate an emote
  • Use "/ac" to activate a skill, such as one of the bard songs
  • Alt and keypad 13 gets you ♪, or other alt presses
  • Good emotes are angry, yes, no, sooth. But use others too for effect.

Can I hug for for this? Especially the "motion" thing. I've literally always wished that was a thing I could do or at the least that I could figure out how. I never could in WoW and it made me so sad. 

But all the joys now! All of them! :moogle: