What Characters Inspired Your Character?

Kheni'to

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dogberry = (Queeg-queg/Captain Ahab)Brock Samson + Marv from Sin City^Hellboy+Batou

Basically, I took the idea of an broken sailor from an "exotic" race that people rarely encounter and have a ton of misconceptions about (which I anticipated male Roegadyn to be) looking for something like revenge (Queeg-queg/Ahab), added on a layer of "bro" with a soft side I could play for laughs (Brock Samson), shoved in Marv from Sin City to give him a layer of emotional turmoil and confusion, and put in Hellboy for a sense of duty and a bit of an "average joe down on his luck" attitude in spite of his sometimes frightening demeanor. Throw in Batou from Ghost in the Shell for an emphasis on martial prowess, and you've got Dogberry.

He's basically a play on all of the "big guy" archetypes you see in media while hopefully still managing to be more than the sum of those parts. The "big guy" is an archetype that often goes unexplored as a character. While often played sympathetically and even at times heroically, they are very rarely fully realized characters. I could go on about this further, but I'll spare you all.

My character Minghao is of my own creation.  From all my RP characters I've played in various MMOs, I wanted her to be of purely innocent.  Not exposed to the lewd filth, like she was living under a rock all these years.  Didn't want anyone to try to weasel their way to be in an instant relationship with my character.  Had quite of people in the past that took IC = OOC.  So that brings bad business.  And if a character along the road wanted to get with my character, they have to work it and deal with her innocent charms.  Ming loves helping people and working on her hobbies contently.

Wow, loving all the responses.

Nako, your character must be psycho with an aura of awesome.

lol Nako can definitely be... zany. It's somewhat anchored though, by her moral compass. She's not quite as amoral as Starbuck can be, but she certainly has her penchant for ignoring rules!

For Zutoto she was based a decent bit off of Samwise form the Lord of the Rings books, in that she was a rather reluctant 'adventurer' and mainly knows cooking and home keeping and such, but found that those talents were important to adventurers to keep their hearts strong. She also has a pinch of Ge Xuan from Chinese history, since her view of magic is a heavily Taoist inspired one and I've always enjoyed playing mystics and inventors.

My Miqo'te character was heavily based on kinda a blend of Tyrion Lannister and John Snow from, obviously, Game of Thrones. He's a 'bastard' in the sense that he's born from the two clans in a relationship that amounted to an affair, and was heavily looked down on by his family that raised him. Basically he's kinda a hybrid of the two character's outlooks on their low status in their family. He's got a heavy amount of 'fuck it then I'll get drunk and see the world' but there's also a strong side of him that wants to bring glory to his name and find a place in the world other than the family disgrace, even if it means abandoning the family he knew. He's also got a healthy amount of Zoro in him, because he's basically gonna be my excuse to write flamboyant adventurey stuff.

I didn't make my character with a specific character in mind, but I did make my character with a series of character archetypes in mind. Some more flattering than others.

You got your boisterous bruiser archetype:

Otawara from Eyeshield 21:

makoto2.jpg

Alex Louis Armstrong from Fullmetal Alchemist:

AlexLouisArmstrong!LookAtThoseGodlyMuscles!.jpg

Monkey D. Garp from One Piece:

5537-567003682.jpg

Cid Pollendina from Final Fantasy IV:

Cidpollendina.jpg

You got your Heroic Wannabe archetype:

Junpei Iori from Persona 3:

__junpei_iori___by_bogilliam-d2ylazi.jpg

Don Quixote from Don Quixote:

193080_1180812449_large.jpg

Then there's some Plucky Comic Relief:

Matsuda from Death Note:

Touta-Matsuda-death-note-35698740-364-254.png

Might Guy from Naruto:

might-guy-06062009.jpg

And just about all of the Playing With Fire archetype:

Axel from Kingdom Hearts:

Axel___Kingdom_Hearts_by_Maevachan.jpg

Pyrrhon from Kid Icarus: Uprising:

20120330031103!Pyrrhon.png

I didn't really base Armi or Loki off anyone, but their are simlarities of character.

Armi is like Fred Burkle of "Angel" crossed with Annie of "Community"

Let me explain the Fred thing in Gifs.

tumblr_lgy2ea13Jo1qzu5e6.gif

tumblr_mvg9wpx5ds1qb09mko6_r1_250.gif

tumblr_mvg9wpx5ds1qb09mko7_r1_250.gif

tumblr_mv02zkVnGs1r7qbfao2_r2_250.gif

And a Quote:

“Can I say somethin’ about destiny? Screw destiny! ‘Cause destiny is just another word for inevitable. And nothing is inevitable as long as you stand up, look it in the eye and say, “You’re evitable!”

YUP.

Loki is Zoe Washburn from "Firefly" and a LOT Faye Valentine from "Cowboy Bebop"

Take one real name and add:

One cup of tragic hero Cless Alvein

Cless.Alvein.240.289409.jpg

Two tablespoons of noble idealistic Sir Bowen from Dragonheart

MZgLZdjPBBJNeI5UXxPN7WgvCgnBIugdEEc6oV-rDVw=w378-h322-no

Two heaping scoops of Cecil Harvey's honor

cecil_harvey.png

And just a pinch of Bruce Banner's quietly brewing hidden inner rage

Photo(287).jpg

Erik Mynhier

Sultansworn, Immortal Flame, Captain of The Red Wings, and one seven-hells of a complication.

Check out his story of awesome heroicness and Hulk Smashing here.

Take one real name and add:

One cup of tragic hero Cless Alvein

Cless.Alvein.240.289409.jpg

Two tablespoons of noble idealistic Sir Bowen from Dragonheart

MZgLZdjPBBJNeI5UXxPN7WgvCgnBIugdEEc6oV-rDVw=w378-h322-no

Two heaping scoops of Cecil Harvey's honor

cecil_harvey.png

And just a pinch of Bruce Banner's quietly brewing hidden inner rage

Photo(287).jpg

Erik Mynhier

Sultansworn, Immortal Flame, Captain of The Red Wings, and one seven-hells of a complication.

Check out his story of awesome heroicness and Hulk Smashing here.

I do actually have a rage-reaction macro. Siha Xinkei has seen it, its quite dramaful :D. Honestly you would have to meet him and see how mellow he is until something sets him off. I don't think I based him off them as much as he has similar traits. Erik is basicly the same character I've had in every game and mmo since Neverwinter. Hell since FF1 on the NES, "ERIK" was my Fighter's name.

Tev is very much a Grumpy Bear:

character_thumb_310x175_piccolo.jpg

Piccolo, Dragon Ball Z

lh_032NavarreHawk.jpg

Etienne Navarre, Ladyhawke

Prefering to isolate himself from others in pursuit of knowledge:

Benedict_Cumberbatch_filming_Sherlock_cropped.jpg

Sherlock Holmes

With a wall of Stoicism that only a few have managed to break through:

51jin.jpg

Jin, Samurai Champloo

Byakuya_Kuchiki.png

Byakuya Kuchiki, Bleach

But can be prone to Deadpan Snark:

28253.jpg

Jade Curtiss, Tales of the Abyss

Snape.jpg

Severus Snape, Harry Potter

But it's only a Jerkface Facade; Tev has deep empathy for the weak, and seeing those people suffer will press his Berserk Button. Then this happens:

black-mage-hadoken.jpg

Tev is very much a Grumpy Bear:

character_thumb_310x175_piccolo.jpg

Piccolo, Dragon Ball Z

lh_032NavarreHawk.jpg

Etienne Navarre, Ladyhawke

Prefering to isolate himself from others in pursuit of knowledge:

Benedict_Cumberbatch_filming_Sherlock_cropped.jpg

Sherlock Holmes

With a wall of Stoicism that only a few have managed to break through:

51jin.jpg

Jin, Samurai Champloo

Byakuya_Kuchiki.png

Byakuya Kuchiki, Bleach

But can be prone to Deadpan Snark:

28253.jpg

Jade Curtiss, Tales of the Abyss

Snape.jpg

Severus Snape, Harry Potter

But it's only a Jerkface Facade; Tev has deep empathy for the weak, and seeing those people suffer will press his Berserk Button. Then this happens:

black-mage-hadoken.jpg

Do you find it hard to RP your character sometimes? So far, I'm finding it hard at times to RP a character who might be similar to yours in some ways.

I guess my character was inspired by a weird combinatin of:

180px-Goku4.jpg

Goku from Dragonball

Wakka_artwork.jpg

Wakka from FFX

Sd3kevin.jpg

Kevin from Seiken Densetsu 3/Secret of Mana 2

...And a little of my own stuff mixed in cause of lore, playstyle, and, well, me.

I just like the more carefree, adventurous type of skilled fighter that's not so great at most other things.

Do you find it hard to RP your character sometimes? So far, I'm finding it hard at times to RP a character who might be similar to yours in some ways.

It can be, mostly because my personality is exactly the opposite. I enjoy the challenge, but I have to resist the urge to act silly. You have no idea how difficult that is for me. Trust me.

It can be, mostly because my personality is exactly the opposite. I enjoy the challenge, but I have to resist the urge to act silly. You have no idea how difficult that is for me. Trust me.

Seconded, it can be hard suppressing my desire to cause shennaniganz.

I'll forgo pictures and say that i've tried to mix

• Alec Campion - Novel "Swordspoint" mostly the control fixation but with a hint of the decadence. Enjoys making a spectacle of it all, the bitter humor.
  • Tharkay - series "Temeraire", the one who goes out and about, but prides himself on being able to "play the role" while still retaining his freedom. Wants to be distrusted.
  • Stephen Maurtin - Series "Aubrey & Maurtin" (The 21 book epic that 'master & commander is based on.) I try to pull the distracted intellect, but also like to think I touched on the dependency (be it drugs or the people around him.) and the obsession.
  • "the doctor" - WAIT! don't roll your eyes yet! I say this only because I try to impart a certain "forgein"-ness, that hint of looking at things in an odd way, or the ability to understand but not emphasize.