How do you choose who earns your commendation?

Eva

When I queue with K'nahli (which happens all the time now that we can roulette together), I've told him that he could commend the DPS and I could commend the tank. That way, everyone gets a commendation.

He made a point, though, that sometimes players are too silent and careless, and don't deserve any commendation. So... I don't know, perhaps I should start commending whoever is the nicest.

When I soloed dungeon, that's what I did. Whoever had taken a moment to say hello and goodbye got my commendation *laughs*.

Basically, who ever chats the most. I find it refreshing when people via duty finder are social. Otherwise, I generally give it to who I felt played their class the best. Don't like bards and black mages that stay at full mp throughout the entire run. Nor do I like afk healers. Lol

If someone does something very cool like solo a boss when you think you're going to have a party wipe then I'll give a commendation. I will also give a commendation for party members who strike up friendly conversation or otherwise interact with other party members. 

Most of the time neither of those things happen though so I give my commendation to the DPS if they're not awful or the tank if they do a good job. I honestly skimp out on healer commendations though.

I always feel terrible when I can't give out more than one, but everyone is awesome.

I actually split pretty evenly between DPS and tank.  If the tank is really good, he gets it.  But if the tank is poor and a DPS is saving me, he gets it.  If the DPS all stand in fire like noobs, they do not get commendation.  Nope.

I think it's interesting that a lot favor DPS.  And having done a lot of dungeons as both WHM and as DRG I feel like I should be surprised when I receive them on DRG, but it's honestly been pretty consistent across the board.  I think a lot of folks assume tanks and healers get them all and I don't think this is the case - though I seldom tank.

To throw one more thing out there, it is a minor pet-peeve of mine when there's a run going south and I pull out some epic awesome and somehow keep the run afloat and I'm thinking to myself, "Oh I'm going to get mad commendations after this," and then after the run is over... nothing.

Also a bit of an addendum - when doing the CM or Prae runs for Storyline Roulettes as WHM I almost always give my commendation to the other healer, so long as they're doing a decent job.  My other pet-peeve is when I get lumped in with another WHM (wat no sch available??) and we're just tripping over each other on buffs and cures and such.  Since those runs really only require one mildly competent healer, I often change stance and nuke.  If I see the other healer throwing a lot of nukes and party HP dropping, I figure they came in thinking the same thing and I resort to heals and let them be the pseudo-blm.  In either case, if I feel we're working well enough in tandem and nobody pulls some super-epic stuff or is otherwise amazingly awesome, I'll give my commendation to the other healer.  For the 8-man Trials this is not always the case though.

(I do agree that it would be cool if we could give multiple commendations because there are some groups that just have good synergy and it sometimes sucks that you can only give one out.  I have [seldomly] withheld commendations entirely when a party sucked or was ill-tempered, and wish I could store that one for later use.  lol)

Well, I do actually have a list...but 90% of the time my commendation ends up going to the ONE person who didn't make a beeline for the end as soon as we won. Most of the time, by the time I click to end the ending animation EVERYONE but one of two is already gone.

Why are people in such a hurry to leave?

I don't fret over commendations, as a strict DPS I know hell will have frozen over before I earn my golden magiteck.

that said, I have mad respect for a Tank who is both GOOD at their job, and not a total dushe.

As a DPS, I generally find I get a commendation when I am patient, helpful and rather light hearted.

Healer's who do a good job and are pleasant, positive and patient are next.

DPS who do their job and do it well generally earn my commendation if the Tank and Healer did not, or have retreated at the speed of light as soon as the run ends.

A negative player will never earn mine, no matter how good they are.

Nor will an elitist

Kellach's the only one I've done dungeons on, and he's WAR all the way at the moment. So I often end up with 1-2 commendations per run by virtue of me tanking. <.<

Rude people I don't give it to.

It really is context dependent but I try not to let role influence my decision. Usually if I'm not the newb in the dungeon I'll give it to the new person as an incentive to keep at it, especially if they tried their best.

If all of them have done it before, I'll look for standout play (example, not letting me go down a certain threshold for healing, actually taking care of adds, making my life simpler as a tank when dealing with trash mobs) and then if nobody really stands out, whoever's still around at the end.