Questions For White Mage/Conjurer Character

To be fair, selphies mom lived long enough to have a kid and watch them grow. So it seems people ccan live decent amounts of time as a hearer.

Or she just didn't botch anything badly enough until after Selphie. ...I could see some cure/stone/aero spells not taking a big toll, but something like a medica or raise could have done her in. ...or for all we know, Selphie's mother might have made the equivalent of like a Medica 5 and gone out with a bang. The lore doesn't really tell us how or what she used, but that she pretty much used up her life to do it.

She tried to reattach her lover's head to his body.

uIhd55b.jpg

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well ladies and gents, here's how I see it all.

First, I think we all answered the thread author's question a while ago, and now people have gone and made themselves butthurt.

Secondly, typed in bullets for easy-to-digest chunks:

-Sylphie's situation was so extremely rare that it took the Padjal (read: More Hearer than most Hearers will ever be) Guildmaster (head teacher of all of the other Conjurer teachers in the best place to learn Conjury) to figure out what was going on. This is obviously something that the average layman would see very often. The aforementioned 2% given by Liadan was probably being a bit too generous at the odds.

-Even though Sylphie's mother did live long enough to likely see her daughter to age 8-10, the actual conjurer questline stated that Sylphie had burned through her own life force so fast that she was very near death in early adolescence. Sylphie, as we all know, joined around the same time you did on the conjurer storyline. Even if she'd been healing beforehand, that means that if you really burn through those spells, you can die very, very fast.

-An Aether allergy would sort of be like saying you're allergic to matter or breathing. If you want to go a route that will let you run this sort of concept, I suggest something more along the lines of an iron deficiency or a heart defect that could cause chest pains or fainting. It would both give you a reason to pursue magic in general and healing magic in specific, too! Heal others and thyself! Development!

-I'm gonna be honest, and I don't intend to be cruel. With these points laid you, you CAN run what you like initially, but some people are going to think it's kind of hokey because it's essentially a very light twist on a story that already happened in the game. You can certainly run it, but some folks aren't going to be interested. The people who turn around and don't RP might not all be because of the thread. They just might not like the concept at all.

-Having a concept that makes a character unique doesn't make someone a bad roleplayer, but it can lead to that person having trouble around other players. Warning someone of that doesn't make a person mean, evil, or cruel. It's a warning.

-I suggest we ignore Nat from this time on unless you want to build her a bridge to troll under. She's about half a step away from blatantly hurtling into Godwin's Law once people don't react to her 'clever' distopian future scenarios. She's pursuing a personal vendetta entirely unrelated to the topic at hand.

-The question has been answered, and I think I can speak for everyone when I wish A'ria the best of luck with her character.

Now can get either discuss the topic the thread was made to answer in more detail or just close it out? Butthurt is not a valid topic to ruminate upon in RP Discussion. If RPers want to, they can always find a way to get butthurt.

For the record, my posts were meant to satirically make the point that worrying overmuch about the lore, to the point of not wanting to RP with those who don't share your viewpoint of it, is counterproductive. I never specifically referenced any person, so if you thought it was about you, that says more about you than it does about me.

*puts on Magic Admin Hat again*

Since personal attacks have started again, I'm just going to go ahead and lock this. Everyone's said their piece at this point, and I think the lore has been fairly well laid out. If anyone wants to discuss other aspects of what's been raised here -- the metaphysics, for instance, or how to RP Aether sickness or Aether allergies -- please feel free to make a new thread.