Questions For White Mage/Conjurer Character

It's all in the tone and manner of phrasing. Thinly veiled superiority disguised as "helpful" advice is not really how one should go about providing feedback.

There's nothing in lore that would prevent a character from RPing someone who drains their own life force to heal others. As long as it's roleplayed effectively, it shouldn't bother anyone else.

Reading tone into text is pretty much never a good idea.

Also: No one here, as far as I can tell from re-reading the thread, ever said that it was impossible. They explained why the OP's justification for why she was doing so probably wouldn't work, and then explained how magic works in general because the OP specifically stated she did not know how the various schools of magic work in this game.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tone is hard to parse on the internet and unfair to assume the tone of someone was "Thinly veiled superiority" just because they didn't use emoticons or whatever. Come on, that's hardly fair

Slightly adjusted:

"Is this idea too far fetched?"

"Slightly. While it is possible, the chances of it are /extremely/ rare and not the norm. That isn't to say impossible, but don't expect that the other people who interact with that character will knowingly let her get away with it ICly." *some form of an explosion*

This one I can get down with.

I can understand why it is possible for a Conjurer to have it where their conjury would initially cause issues similar to Selphie because they learned it at home or trial by observation.

However, it seemed to imply early on in the conjurer guild quests that they would tell learners the importance of why that is so wrong, aka YOUR LIFE IS IN DANGER. That implied (to me anyway) that it's something learned or taught early. Or another conjurer will see it happening and try earnestly to say "No no no stop it. That is going to kill you very fast."

In my opinion, it's something that could be used as a plot point but not something that will persist all the time.

I never avoid anyone, but if you already had the idea set in your head why did you ask for advice?

you asked in the thread

"That being said, are these ideas too out there or do they actually work?"

And when a lot of people went "It's too out there" you say you have to breastfeed people.

I don't know, it feels like you wanted an echo chamber of "Yes" then actual discussion.

I never mentioned anyone specifically in this thread avoiding me, but I have noticed an increase of people genuinely going out of their way to avoid talking to me.

Yes, I asked for advice, but there are people who have seemed as if my newness to the lore has been an inconvenience to them or a complete turn off. My point isn't that I'm upset that people didn't agree (there were also as many people saying the concept was fine as people not so I really could care less one way or the other), it's that someone else who may be newer than even I might find the treatment and responses as a complete turnoff to other RPers.

I know several people have approached me after this thread telling me that they're afraid to voice questions and concerns because they're afraid they'll get jumped or make someone angry and that is what I mean by breast feeding. People shouldn't have to change characters constantly to appease the ones that disagree.

I have mentioned that I am grateful for the help and I mean it. However, I didn't post this as a way for people to determine if I'm an irredeemable RPer and that feels like the outcome.

Rp drama is the most common drama out of all the online community groups I've been in.

Why?

Creating and building stories is personal. When things feel personal, emotional investment happens. It's human nature. And when you invest your emotions into it, sometimes trying to be helpful feels like you're trying to save someone from making a mistake -- and so people might appear to be forceful, or condescending, or even like they're condemning you, the player, for some idea you've had.

And, for what it's worth, there are people like that out there -- but from what I've seen in this community, I don't think there are very many (note that I have not experienced any personally, but I haven't met/seen everyone in the community).

But it can be very easy to feel attacked and respond in kind when you are very close to your ideas. I think as writers, roleplayers can sometimes get the two mixed up, both when trying to offer constructive criticism to someone, and in receiving it. And even when it isn't mixed up, sometimes the way things are worded can be misunderstood, or written in a way that seems like something is implied. It might even seem like an obvious attack to everyone but the person writing it.

In those moments, that's where it's important to remember that rping is a social hobby. A very social hobby. Communicating is very important. Rather than give in to the emotional reaction, try sending someone a pm to clarify things. All too often I see people -- sometimes especially at my workplace, which is very unfortunate considering it's non-profit and supposed to be a very supportive and understanding environment -- assume someone meant something negative rather than trying to clarify, ending in way too much negativity. It really saddens me to see it happen.

I mean, if someone is legit mean-spirited, then you'll get that even after trying to understand them. But unless you give them the chance, how are you going to know?

My point is this: take the advice as people legitimately trying to steer you away from things they consider to be hurtful to the lore. Take it as them trying to help -- even if in the end you don't feel that it is helpful. You don't have to accept advice, ever. However, in the spirit of community, even if you don't like the advice try to be thankful that at the very least, people are trying to help. Thank them for their time and move on.

If you truly feel someone is attacking you or being unfair, talk to them. If they don't let you talk to them, then move on -- you don't need them. Lingering on it will only hurt you in the end, and there are so many wonderful and worthwhile people to rp with out there. :)

I can understand why it is possible for a Conjurer to have it where their conjury would initially cause issues similar to Selphie because they learned it at home or trial by observation.

However, it seemed to imply early on in the conjurer guild quests that they would tell learners the importance of why that is so wrong, aka YOUR LIFE IS IN DANGER. That implied (to me anyway) that it's something learned or taught early. Or another conjurer will see it happening and try earnestly to say "No no no stop it. That is going to kill you very fast."

In my opinion, it's something that could be used as a plot point but not something that will persist all the time.

I mostly agree with this. CNJ friends wouldn't let other CNJ friends kill themselves, when they could show/teach conjury the "right" way. I think it'd make a great hook for character growth, but as a person that mostly stuck to CNJ/WHM in the game from 1.0 (really more 1.23) to 2.1 when I went SCH, most of the lore revolved around the borrowing aspect. The CNJ quest Selphie was definitely strange, and the other NPCs were genuinely worried she wouldn't last very long because of her..."methods". 

Unless we're talking about Edda. In that case...all is explained in Tam-Tara HM

Well, there are a number of reasons why Selphie's case was unusual and extraordinary (and not supposed to happen), but yes, anything is possible.

However, it seemed to imply early on in the conjurer guild quests (UNLESS YOUR TEACHER IS E-SUMI YAN) that they would tell learners the importance of why that is so wrong, aka YOUR LIFE IS IN DANGER. That implied (to me anyway) that it's something learned or taught early. Or another conjurer will see it happening and try earnestly to say "No no no stop it (UNLESS THEY WERE E-SUMI YAN). That is going to kill you very fast."

I uh...edited that a bit.  I have a lot of "wtf" towards the Conjurer's guild leader because of that question.  You would think, but apparently, no...he was waiting for you to tell her.  o_O

Well, yeah.  I can't imagine someone's friends being willing to put up with that for very long.  Even total strangers, honestly, if they figured out what was going on.  And that's assuming you didn't kill yourself trying too hard.

If you truly feel someone is attacking you or being unfair, talk to them.  If they don't let you talk to them, then move on -- you don't need them.  Lingering on it will only hurt you in the end, and there are so many wonderful and worthwhile people to rp with out there.  :)

QFT. God I love your posts so much.

In terms of trying to find RP are you actually talking about attempting some world RP after 2.3 dropped? I don't know what you mean about feeling like some people would rather avoid you but there's -loads- of new content that people want to tackle. New dungeons. New gameplay. New -things-. Are you sure that they just want to do a lot of the new stuff first before going back to RPing? I mean I don't know how you started to approach people or how others acted towards you but there can be loads of things.

Not everyone who RPs on Gilgamesh or Balmung or -insert server here- are on RPC. And for certain, not everyone on Gilgamesh or Balmung, though people consider them RP servers, RP either. Perhaps you've just been approaching non-RPers?

I think this would be a good way to approach it, too. Even after they learn to manipulate aether properly, the character could have permanently damaged themselves in such a way that would satisfy the OP's want to have a character who is outwardly weak and ill-seeming. It's all in how you play it. ^^

If you truly feel someone is attacking you or being unfair, talk to them.  If they don't let you talk to them, then move on -- you don't need them.  Lingering on it will only hurt you in the end, and there are so many wonderful and worthwhile people to rp with out there.  :)

QFT. God I love your posts so much.

In terms of trying to find RP are you actually talking about attempting some world RP after 2.3 dropped? I don't know what you mean about feeling like some people would rather avoid you but there's -loads- of new content that people want to tackle. New dungeons. New gameplay. New -things-. Are you sure that they just want to do a lot of the new stuff first before going back to RPing? I mean I don't know how you started to approach people or how others acted towards you but there can be loads of things.

Not everyone who RPs on Gilgamesh or Balmung or -insert server here- are on RPC. And for certain, not everyone on Gilgamesh or Balmung, though people consider them RP servers, RP either. Perhaps you've just been approaching non-RPers?

Truth be told, anyone who is avoiding her in-game over a forum post probably isn't someone she wants to RP with in the first place.  But I agree that whatever is going on likely has nothing to do with the post here.

To be fair, selphies mom lived long enough to have a kid and watch them grow. So it seems people ccan live decent amounts of time as a hearer.

Yes, the only reason Sylphie was in such immediate danger was because she was constantly using her own aether. If it's something a character only does on occasion, the effect may be almost unnoticeable, or easily passed off as generally being weak of constitution - at least for a good while.

Truth be told, anyone who is avoiding her in-game over a forum post probably isn't someone she wants to RP with in the first place.  But I agree that whatever is going on likely has nothing to do with the post here.

I meant to say this, you just got my brain wave and added all the right words. I'm at work and I can't into words. Writing or typing or speaking.

But yeah, unless you actually recognize that the people who posted here are those you attempted RP with I highly doubt this thread is the cause for it.

If it is, it was most likely a misunderstanding (because I think most people here wouldn't just flat out do that) or they are plainly someone you would not want to RP with.

Or chat with for that matter.

To be fair, selphies mom lived long enough to have a kid and watch them grow. So it seems people ccan live decent amounts of time as a hearer.

Or she just didn't botch anything badly enough until after Selphie. ...I could see some cure/stone/aero spells not taking a big toll, but something like a medica or raise could have done her in. ...or for all we know, Selphie's mother might have made the equivalent of like a Medica 5 and gone out with a bang. The lore doesn't really tell us how or what she used, but that she pretty much used up her life to do it.

As for the avoiding rp issue, OP, yeah, with the new content, rp will slow so take heart and don't stress. No one is avoiding rp because of a thread. But, like Liadan said, if they are allowing a forum thread deter them, then they shouldn't be on your list of rp hopefuls anyway. :)

Mod note by FreelanceWizard: Edited to remove the quote of a removed post.

How old is Selphie? She's pretty young and her mother died a few years before? I don't think she got to watch her grow.

Sylphie is clearly more than a decade old, based on how she speaks and behaves. I'd place her at early teens, most likely. Depending on when her mom had her, that's quite a long time for her mom to have lived while draining her own life.

How old is Selphie? She's pretty young and her mother died a few years before? I don't think she got to watch her grow.

Selphie is clearly more than a decade old, based on how she speaks and behaves. I'd place her at early teens, most likely. Depending on when her mom had her, that's quite a long time for her mom to have lived while draining her own life.

Selphie is still a child though, even if she was 13. If her mom died when she was 10, and her mom (which is likely) was only in her early 20's when she had her, she didn't actual live all THAT long after she learned how to heal all wrongly (lets say around the same age as Selphie)

Though yes, this will not effect you in RP, unless you plan on rping in the game for 10+ years.... or casting Medica 2 for every paper cut, I guess.

Back to the main topic for meee (sorry magic admin hat guy :< ):

My ideas for this character are similar to the NPC from the white Mage quest lines where I believe the name is Sylphie is drawing from her own Aether instead of the Aether from the world around her and it sapping her life from her. I wanted A'ria to have issues with conjuring from the elements and thus giving her a flaw that both explains her small size and her constant illness and weakness.

I think for this particular conundrum, you need to decide what you want to be the focus of your rp: are you really in love with the idea of your character drawing from her own aether, or are you more focused on her having issues with the conjuring from the elements, and it doesn't really matter the cause?

At the end of the day, you're the one who needs to be most happy with what you're writing. If you really want the drawing from her own aether bit, then maybe try asking, "how can I make this work with the lore?"

>> because I've found that sometimes it's easier to ask forgiveness rather than permission. ;)

*constantly making up new places to drag people to in Limsa. Constantly.*

Is it possible that Selphie started to do major amounts of healing after her mother died, which is why it's much more life-endangering than what her mother did?

((Disclaimer: I only did the quests so I could get CNJ to 15 for PLD))

What I remember was that Selphie was -constantly- and always going out of her way to do healing. It wasn't a once in a week type of deal but every day type of thing. Is it possible that her mother just did it but in a more drawn out time period which is why she lived longer?

It's also possible that Selphie's mother died at the equivalent of being 35 but the timespan is to live 100+ years so people just don't want Selphie to die so young. (Like those health vices we have in real life)

Back to the main topic for meee (sorry magic admin hat guy :< ):

My ideas for this character are similar to the NPC from the white Mage quest lines where I believe the name is Sylphie is drawing from her own Aether instead of the Aether from the world around her and it sapping her life from her. I wanted A'ria to have issues with conjuring from the elements and thus giving her a flaw that both explains her small size and her constant illness and weakness.

I think for this particular conundrum, you need to decide what you want to be the focus of your rp:  are you really in love with the idea of your character drawing from her own aether, or are you more focused on her having issues with the conjuring from the elements, and it doesn't really matter the cause?

At the end of the day, you're the one who needs to be most happy with what you're writing.  If you really want the drawing from her own aether bit, then maybe try asking, "how can I make this work with the lore?"

>> because I've found that sometimes it's easier to ask forgiveness rather than permission.  ;)

*constantly making up new places to drag people to in Limsa.  Constantly.*

Yes! This post. And yes, Zhi is good making Limsa big. I remember the other day walking through an area and saying "Is this where Ruru and her walked? Or was that over there? Hmmm...can't find it. Maybe I'm lost..." LOL!

Though yes, this will not effect you in RP, unless you plan on rping in the game for 10+ years.... or casting Medica 2 for every paper cut, I guess.

Certainly it won't, from a lethal standpoint! Which is entirely my point. It's more than possible to have an enriching roleplay experience with a character who misuses their own aether. And if/when they should make friends who both learn about what's happening and care enough to intervene... well, that's just fodder for more fun roleplay!

And if/when they should make friends who both learn about what's happening and care enough to intervene... well, that's just fodder for more fun roleplay!

This!!!

You can make more friends with this plot I think! It's a plot hook!

... if I had someone to throw onto it I would. I'm sorry. :cry:

Mod note: I have removed the most egregiously off-topic best posts from this thread. It seems things have gotten back on topic for the time being.

Fineeee..... *kicks can and walks off pouting*