Syndicate 'Lawful Neutral' group (some 2.3 story spoilers)

Question: I think it was pretty evident that the way Raubahn won his way into the Syndicate is by winning... and it seemed pretty implied? if not outright said that Raubahn killed in order to do it. I mean one page says he slay the former owner of one of his blades.

But it seemed like killed to get into the Syndicate to back Momodi up. 

... what does that make Raubahn?

He could very well be Lawful Neutral.  Nothing says that they can't be loyal - in fact it's a big trait of the alignment.

Or he could be Lawful Good, if he was killing evildoers or something.  It's hard to say without knowing particulars.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Motto: The line between victory and defeat is drawn by the swift and trod by the dead.

Weapons: Tizona─a cursed blade taken from the hands of a former rival after defeating him on the bloodsands.

It just seemed heavily implied. All it states is that the man was a rival in the bloodsands but his own motto implies the thing about the death.

Motto: The line between victory and defeat is drawn by the swift and trod by the dead.

Weapons: Tizona─a cursed blade taken from the hands of a former rival after defeating him on the bloodsands.

It just seemed heavily implied. All it states is that the man was a rival in the bloodsands but his own motto implies the thing about the death.

Don't forget that Evil and Neutral-aligned characters can absolutely do GOOD acts and be generally affable and even likeable.  When it comes to it, whether an act is Evil or Good depends both on what was done and what the intent was.  It's just that Evil and Neutral suffer far less for "Good" actions (in terms of maintaining alignment) than Good does (since intent does not outweigh action if the act itself is Evil).

Holy post explosion! Heh, I should clarify again that I was less interested in dsicussing syndicate morality down to the d&d system, but more trying to measure IC interest considering the negative opinion they have in the story!

IIRC, the name of the Horizon Brass Blade Lalafell in question is Fafaso. The little fellow is involved in a significant chunk of the Ul'dah Main Scenario Quests, which revolve around him suspecting his current superiors of being up to no good and his sending the MC to find his previous, now-disgraced superior to try and clear things up.

What is heavily implied and becomes fairly obvious is that their ultimate superior, Lord Lolorito, is two-facing his Blades: playing the kind, considerate employer for the sakes of those innocents such as Fafaso, while ordering his more down-to-earth, corrupt men in the Blades to be devious, cut corners, apply pressure, etc.

Again, I don't remember the exact details, as I went through the text in a rush on my latest Ul'dahn alt, but that's the general gist. I'll run by Horizon when I get home and log in today to confirm the little guy's name is indeed Fafaso.

Also, I don't think there were any cutscenes in this case, just a lot of in-game text.

Keep in mind that with the power Lolorito himself is alleged to have, it's not and never will be a question of resources beyond whether or not he is satisfied with what he has (hint he isn't). Same with the Sultana (who's more busy with the crown that got jacked than the suffering of her people) considering the feast she puts on for the return of the crown.

From 1-15 you're essentially seeing just how much of a douchebag Lolorito is without ever seeing him, with the questline in Horizon directly saying that yes he is aware and outright CONDONES the bribes/what have yous that have happened.

However, the other cities have their share of douchebaggery. It is somewhat less apparent in other cities but the whole point (and this is something I actually quite like about Eorzea itself) is that none of the cities can actually claim to be better than the other one on either treatment of refugees, internal and external affairs or even primal influence.

While I will still rp syndicate regardless, damn is it hard to make it seem attractive to folk who aren't too fond of villainy. At least the Garleans are off to destroy the primals!

On the other hand, the ooc arguments people have made in defense of the syndicate can easily be applied ic. No one said our characters had to be objectively correct, just correct in their mind.

That's the thing. You have like... the entire Ul'dah levelling experience saying that the Syndicate are bad news, with only Hildibrand quests remotely putting a positive spin on them (with the revelation that Godbert is part of the Syndicate).

Couple that with the fact that typically RPers will want to be the Hero, and Heroes aren't villainous... that doesn't help.

Good luck in your search! (because I have no character that would be interested :()