Continents not named

Well, we all know of Eorzea, and now Doma.

One of my worries as someone who has a character that's from another continent is that as the world gets mapped we'll eventually run out of places to come from. If none of them fit the narrative that I have, I'm kind of drawing a blank as to what to do about that.

This only came up because it was immediately assumed I came from Doma which I stupidly acquiesced without knowing the background so it was hella weird when the whole refugee thing came about.

A guy in my guid plays someone from a different continent, but he doesn't really mention WHERE exactly until one is released that he thinks fits the best. Now-a-days when he does mention everyone goes "Doma?" and he constantly has to go "No, damnit!" lol. I'm pretty sure if one is NEVER released he'll just continue to keep it vague as hell BUT yeah he's in the same boat you're in.

Doma is actually just one nation (former nation?) on the shores of Othard, a continent to the east which is now under Imperial rule. There's also the continent of Ilsabard to the northeast, where the Empire's capital of Garlemald lies. There's only a scant amount of information on either of these.

And then there's the island nation of Thavnair (Radz-at-Han, referenced a few times during the game, is its capitol) but - again - precious little information beyond it being an island, they trade, apparently their quenching oil is sought after by talented blacksmiths, and in the notes of the various types of "lassi" culinarians can make, the city is noted as the drink's origin.

Honestly, the world is a vast place, and given the lack of information, there's a lot of room to fill in the gaps. Hells, the description for the fish "dark bass" references a continent to the south called Meracydia. I'm not sure I've ever seen it referenced elsewhere. Who's to say you didn't come from Whereverthehell?

Glad this topic has been brought up as it's actually a good point for most people's characters - though those who may not be the 'Warrior of Light' but do take into their characters some references from the game's storyline.

When you create a character (at least when you're not a legacy player) it is implied that as an adventurer you come from somewhere outside of Eorzea. So, basically, the player characters are not Eorzeans per say, but travelers from any land outside of the where the main game takes place. As hyurs with a third eye are the main denizens of Garlemald, and no player character has one of these 'eyes', it can be assumed that they are not of Garlean stock. This lends itself to allowing us to be from the newly mentioned Doma (as one of my characters is - who I created for the ninja job before it was released and oddly enough looks more Asian than the Doman npcs do), or any other nation brought up be previous posters on this thread.

My main character I play ICly was born in Gridania, but has her father coming the 'mountains and hills bordering Eorzea' (and she and her father are highlanders - haha;))

Honestly, the world is a vast place, and given the lack of information, there's a lot of room to fill in the gaps. Hells, the description for the fish "dark bass" references a continent to the south called Meracydia. I'm not sure I've ever seen it referenced elsewhere. Who's to say you didn't come from Whereverthehell?

Meracydia is where the Scholars are originally from, isn't it? As well as the Scourges in T5....

Meracydia is where the Scholars are originally from, isn't it? As well as the Scourges in T5....

Scholars were the great tacticians of ancient Nym, but that was in La Noscea.. I've actually never tried T5. I got too caught up in crafting and LEVELING ALL OF THE THINGS to tackle Coil.

The mention of palm wine and the pattern of the South Seas Talisman top lead me to believe that there is a Hydaelyn equivalent of Polynesia/Southeast Asia. (even though palm wine is a thing wherever coconuts grow, I'm familiar with the SEA variety)

It would work out nicely for my main who is pacific islander in appearance and claims to have come from some nondescript island nation "East o' here" whether it is actually closer to Eorzea by heading any direction other than East is anyone's guess since we don't have a proper world map to go off of :P

Here's hoping they'll give us a nice, proper world map to go off of in the near future so we're not hailing from lands that never existed.

According to lore there are 3 Great Continents. Aldenard, Ilsabard, and Othard. Eorzea is a region of Aldenard, the western continent. Garlemald is in Ilsabard, the northern continent. And Doma is a former city-state of Othard, the eastern continent. Then there are mentions of many other lands far across the seas. These are either lesser continents or islands, we do not know.

As mentioned, there's the island nation of Thavnair, whose capital is Radz-at-Han. Believed to be the "far east" even beyond Othard.

There's scant mentions of an island/continent to the far west of Aldenard where the Miqo'te originally migrated from. Nothing else is known of this place. But considering how the majority of the Miqo'te race has settled in Vylbrand, a tropical island, we can likely assume their homeland is of a similar climate?

And to the far south, beyond the Cieldalaes and the Rhotano Sea is the ancient realm of Meracydia. All we know of this former Nation/Empire is that it was at war with the ancient Allagan Empire during the 3rd Astral Era. Supposedly, the Allagan Empire had conquered all of the known world, except Meracydia.

Other than a few scant mentionings of these islands/continents, we really have no clue just how vast the world of Hydaelyn is. Our Player Characters could literally be from anywhere outside Eorzea.

Also! Based on lore surrounding the Lominsan Armada, we know that the 7th Squadron is stationed in a body of water called the Bianaq. However, this body of water does not appear anywhere on the Eorzean Map and there's zero lore about this place or where it is.

Thanks for the quick responses. You guys are pretty awesome at finding all the lore stuffs.

I think I escaped that situation by saying that I was from the same continent as Doma but not from Doma. Mostly from a place that wouldn't even rise up against the empire because it's essentially a lonely farm in the middle of fucking nowhere.

Thanks for the quick responses. You guys are pretty awesome at finding all the lore stuffs.

I think I escaped that situation by saying that I was from the same continent as Doma but not from Doma. Mostly from a place that wouldn't even rise up against the empire because it's essentially a lonely farm in the middle of fucking nowhere.

Plot twist, Othard has no farms! Everyone eats each other for sustenance and the young eat the old.

So read an interesting lore blurb about my Coeurl Mount a few days ago.

"Native to the jungles of the Near East, coeurls were only recently introduced to Eorzea, brought over from faraway lands such as Thavnair by Ul'dahn nobles who thought to breed them as pets. Now, but a handful of skilled tamers living in recluse on the Pearl are said to be able to train them."

The main point of interest for me is "only recently." Because we have lore from the Sphairai quest (MNK Relic) that says one of the Monk legends of old lived and fought and trained with coeurls. The Coeurlfist. If coeurls were only recently introduced, than this monk of old had to have travelled to Thavnair.

This might lend support to the theory that Thavnair is an island located between Aldenard and Othard, out in the Sea of Jade.

The main point of interest for me is "only recently." Because we have lore from the Sphairai quest (MNK Relic) that says one of the Monk legends of old lived and fought and trained with coeurls. The Coeurlfist. If coeurls were only recently introduced, than this monk of old had to have travelled to Thavnair.

Ivon Coeurlfist actually lived and trained solely in the mountains of Gyr Abania, which were home to numerous Coeurls. To be specific, this excerpt of lore on him goes into greater detail:

The celebrated monk Ivon Coeurlfist passed his days in ascetic seclusion atop the mountains of Gyr Abania. It was there, legend tells, that he sought out coeurls with which to vie, in a bid to advance his training. In time, he came to incorporate the natural movements of the beasts into his fighting style, and in so doing established a legacy in the martial arts which has known no rival since. Ever at his side was his beloved Sphairai, a pair of deadly striking weapons shaped in the likeness of coeurl heads.

As far as "recently" goes, they might mean within the past few hundred years. In the context of things, that could be considered recent in comparison to them having been native to Eorzea for thousands of years, which isn't the case. It is really interesting to see that the a pride(s) of Coeurls decided to make their home atop mountains, given their natural habitat seems to be jungles. It could very well be that Ivon fought Torama, which seem to be better suited for harsher climates than Coeurls, despite being essentially the same species barring a few differences. Torama are also still referred to as "Coeurls" in some portions of the game as well, so that might play into things as well. The Torama might very well have arrived before common Coeurls did.

Outside of that, people have covered more or less everything we know. There's Ilsabard, Aldenard, Othard, and Meracydia. Meracydia is never mentioned to be a large continent, but it is a continent none-the-less. As was mentioned, it was one of the few nations to actually resist the Allagan empire, and they did so by summoning primals. It was this that prompted the Allag to invent their art of summoning to combat them. That's a story for another thread, however.

There's also Sharlayan. While there once was a city (now abandoned) in Eorzea known as Sharlayan, they originally hailed from an island off the northern coast of Eorzea. Also in regards to northern islands, the Sea Wolves originally hailed from islands in the northern seas, so there's more land up there than just Sharlayan.