What server to join?

I wanted to make a character on an RP server but not sure which one or how to get started?

Pointers anyone? Also, how can I find a suitable RP mate?

The two [unofficial] RP servers are Balmung and Gilgamesh. I'll leave it to others to describe the bigger differences between them other than Balmung is a legacy server (from 1.0 days) and Gilgamesh is not.

Balmung has a large group of RPers typically in Ul'Dah, with communities in Limsa Lominsa and Gridania on the rise. I'm not entirely sure how Gilgamesh is structured.

You can technically find roleplay on almost any server. There's small groups scattered throughout most. However, the majority are concentrated on two servers. Balmung, which is a legacy server, and Gilgamesh, which is a server that came up at launch.

I can't speak for Gilgamesh, so I'll leave some one from that community to fill you in on that server. As far as Balmung goes, however, you pretty much can find roleplay anywhere and everywhere. I trip over it daily, whether it's in one of the city-states or out in the middle of nowhere. Much like 1.0, Ul'dah is still very much a central hub, and you'll find a ton of roleplayers there every day. The quicksand generally has at least a small handful of roleplayers inside it at all hours of the day. In most cases, you'd be hard pressed to not find roleplayers.

During various prime times, however, it can be absolutely swamped. Some nights I'll wander through and easily see 10~20+ roleplayers just hanging around. Of course, that's just one means of finding roleplay. You can look up linkshells here on the forums, make threads like these to try and network, or even join a dedicated roleplaying free company.

So, you've definitely got options!

Balmung and Gilgamesh are the two represented RP servers. I recommend Balmung, personally, but you'll find role-play on Gilgamesh, as well! As for finding a role-play partner, just get out there and meet people! You can also establish connections and meet people here on the RPC.

Balmung would be the better option to RP in because people are more open to RP there compared to Gilgamesh where RP can be somewhat exclusive and elite. That doesn't mean Gilgamesh is a bad choice to go and RP on though. Both community's can be pretty welcoming if youre a friendly player! Mind the trolls on Gilgamesh though, they are in alot more abundance there and dont take kindly to RPers.   ._.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been on Gilgamesh for a week now and so far, in the concentrated areas, I never see anyone RPing publically, except my friend and I. Not sure if it's the times we're playing or what. But I know I saw it mentioned that they seem to be a more 'private' server for this sort of thing. 

So far, I've been in Ul'dah and that's where I'm not seeing anything, yet. Haven't really browsed the housing instance nearby or gone to any other starting cities yet, so your mileage might vary.

I have finally managed to get a couple characters on Balmung, though. So I'll probably poke around those, tonight but so far, it seems like that's where the RP is more public. We'll see, though.

Kweh! :chocobo:

Yeah, I'll speak to the fact that Gilgamesh is more of an FC-focused roleplay server than Balmung is, but it does exist. Gilgy is also home to more communities than just RP (it's also notably the "unofficial Reddit server" IIRC, which might be part of the reason why RP is more privatized here), while Bal has a well-spoken RP population that's more established due to Legacy and whatnot.

While I really do hope that more people give Gilgamesh a chance (server space permitting), if you find a good server to call home it's all the power you need!

Aye, for Gilgy it is good to get involved with one of the linkshells in the linkshell threads. There are many of us, and there are events a plenty so feel free to join one of those.

Balmung is the bigger voice on RPC, so pretty much people on here think that Gilgamesh is inactive which isn't the case.

Aye, for Gilgy it is good to get involved with one of the linkshells in the linkshell threads. There are many of us, and there are events a plenty so feel free to join one of those.

Balmung is the bigger voice on RPC, so pretty much people on here think that Gilgamesh is inactive which isn't the case.

Even that list isn't entirely exhaustive. I know that despite the FC closing down (well, more or less), Driftwood Coast's shell is still going and active-- I'm not sure if they're handing out pearls actively, though.

I know that I found my first group of people to RP with on Gilgy (... being Drift, actually) by scouting the housing areas for RPFCs. More than a handful of 'em have guildhalls.

Even that list isn't entirely exhaustive. I know that despite the FC closing down (well, more or less), Driftwood Coast's shell is still going and active-- I'm not sure if they're handing out pearls actively, though.

I know that I found my first group of people to RP with on Gilgy (... being Drift, actually) by scouting the housing areas for RPFCs. More than a handful of 'em have guildhalls.

Been trying personally to get FCs to update the linkshells here, because there is way more than what is listed, that's for sure.