Missed out and Unsure about how to interact with RPers anymore

Aldotsk

Now before anyone might strangle at me or choke me down for sharing my opinion on how I see in RP at the moment, please do not get a wrong idea. Because I don't want to make a drama when I was not intentionally doing it >.< I really want an advice and some suggestions to hear multiple people's opinions on this than getting angry and have this thread closed.

I've been missing out since 2.2 and at least from 2.1 to 2.2, I have not done RP a lot due to end-games and Atma hunting and that drew me away from roleplaying most of the time. I went hiatus because I wanted to take a break, and I had no money to play the game financially during the time so that was additional few months. - A lot has changed with many people and people's interaction and their view on RP and OOCly have changed drastically and I felt extremely left out and unsure what I should do. 

I feel distant on some term, but it's not convincing enough for me to quit this game because I do like the game aside from RP. Though I need to kind of require myself to get involved  and be the one to be initiative and it just isn't easy at the moment since everyone seems to be doing their own things, such as they are already in a plot that they are progressing.

I am trying to go back into RP, but there are many things I've missed and I've been tracking everyone's Wiki and some IC forum thread to see what their plots are, but it's not easy for me to get into anyone's circle and be involved because I've been missing out and I am back to my "shy" version since I don't want to ruin it for anyone else.

I did make a Making Connection thread, hoping that it might actually push me to RP more frequently than ever. Should I require newer friends, I can do that too. However, any advice or suggestion would be great for me to get into other people's story or mine too.

Again, I am not trying to accuse anyone or choke anyone here for my isolation right now. I just need a better suggestion to resolve this, so I'd appreciate it if you'd really have the time to throw in some response to help me out here. Thanks!

EDIT: But if you want to criticize something and actually throw something in to actually make a point to say something I did wrong and I should correct, I won't be really defensive about it - but I'll gladly hear your opinion and we'll work something out whether you might have issues with me personally.

I'll be entirely honest!  I feel like you're over-thinking things.  

Jump right in, meet people, and RP!

I was chatting with a friend yesterday who was kind of concerned because he really just wanted to get involved in plotline RP - if that's your situation too, I still think my advice applies.  The more people you become familiar with and meet, the more plot you will come into contact with, and the more you'll insinuate your character into ongoing storyline and into character relationships that will pull you into stories.

So... stop.. take a deep breath.. gird yourself to take some risks in approaching people to meet them, and then dive right in! ^_^

(Besides, it winds up being a lot more fun than reading wiki pages, or grinding atma!)

I understand this frame of mind. Personally, I always feel out of place no matter what I'm doing. That said, I try to keep myself open for random RP. There's nothing I'm involved in storyline-wise that can't use another pair of hands. At any time, too. We (the tiny group I RP with) just need to get to know you ICly.

I hope this helps, and you can get back into things.

I'll be entirely honest!  I feel like you're over-thinking things.  

Jump right in, meet people, and RP!

I was chatting with a friend yesterday who was kind of concerned because he really just wanted to get involved in plotline RP - if that's your situation too, I still think my advice applies.  The more people you become familiar with and meet, the more plot you will come into contact with, and the more you'll insinuate your character into ongoing storyline and into character relationships that will pull you into stories.

So... stop.. take a deep breath.. gird yourself to take some risks in approaching people to meet them, and then dive right in! ^_^

(Besides, it winds up being a lot more fun than reading wiki pages, or grinding atma!)

I honestly won't deny that I am over-thinking as of right now. But I've had that moments for past few weeks that I wasn't sure if I should get involved in some RPs or not since I have not been online in such a long time. 

But I do agree with you that meeting more people and get in contact with them is one way to improve myself. I think I went out of RP too long to actually have proper decision. (back to the drawing board and Roleplaying 101 course)

Aya's right, just jump in, make a splash! It's what I did. :)

I often run public, server events. They are a great way to meet people and you are more than welcome to join. 

Or visit the Quicksand, another excellent place to meet people.

If you want and I'm online, shoot me a tell and I'd be happy to rp with you. I'm always happy to rp with people aand am Currently developing a new character so am in need of lots of rp to press his personality out! :)

Welcome back btw!

I agree with the suggestions here from Aya, Warren, and Askier.

And yes! Getting involved in Askier's plots are great ways to meet other players and make connections! I know (as Osric pointed out) even a few romances have bloomed/been accelerated through that.

(Osric you totally did not mention Itar and Delial. That happened through the bomb plot! Kind of. Although... it ended badly... >_> )

I honestly won't deny that I am over-thinking as of right now. But I've had that moments for past few weeks that I wasn't sure if I should get involved in some RPs or not since I have not been online in such a long time.

Once you get over that initial shyness, things will start flowing quite regularly. That's what happened to me anyway.

As far as Anelia goes as a character, I read her wiki and noticed she's supposed to be a Captain, and so that is how Coatleque treats her. As a superior officer. I see both Anelia and Erik Mynheir as being Crofte's immediate superiors with Jenlyns being over both of them.

So don't be afraid to order her around (within reason, of course).

If you want and I'm online, shoot me a tell and I'd be happy to rp with you. I'm always happy to rp with people aand am Currently developing a new character so am in need of lots of rp to press his personality out! :)

I'll definitely take your word on it, I had been reading that other thread before and I really want to get involved. I wasn't sure if I should be involved since a lot of you guys had things planned before I could even ask questions about it xD

As far as Anelia goes as a character, I read her wiki and noticed she's supposed to be a Captain, and so that is how Coatleque treats her.  As a superior officer.  I see both Anelia and Erik Mynheir as being Crofte's immediate superiors with Jenlyns being over both of them.

So don't be afraid to order her around (within reason, of course).

Trying to do that most of the time, but everyone sure does want a piece of Crofte xD. So it's really tough on this situation.

I'll have to bother her eventually.

If you find yourself having trouble breaking back into RP, you might try poking people you've never met ICly but who you think you'd have interesting interactions with. Maybe you can have an impromptu coffee with a villainous sort and get wise to his plans? Perhaps hot chocolate and a discussion of politics with a mage in Coerthas would help you reclaim your character's "voice?" You could always set up literally running into someone as a pretext for interaction.

If shyness is a factor, knowing that the scene is set up and ready to roll and that the group size is smaller might help. That way, the face threat is a lot lower than going into a large, crowded RP spot and hoping to catch someone's eye. I'm not saying that hanging out at a hotspot is a bad way to get into RP, but sometimes a small group or one-on-one scene set up in advance is easier to get into. Also, some people you might want to RP with may be hard to catch without setting things up in advance due to RL time limitations, the never-ending Soldiery treadmill, or just having a lot of RP on their plate. For instance -- not that there's ever been a huge crowd wanting to RP with me or clamoring for my time :) -- I typically like setting scenes up in advance with people not in Mysterium, since I don't have a lot of time in game.

(Osric you totally did not mention Itar and Delial. That happened through the bomb plot! Kind of. Although... it ended badly... >_> )

(Because that wasn't Askier's plot to conceive and organize, that was yours and Gharen's and Delial's! Duh!)

I'd contribute to the thread, but everyone has already summed up my thoughts and feelings on the matter.

(Because that wasn't Askier's plot to conceive and organize, that was yours and Gharen's and Delial's! Duh!)

I'd contribute to the thread, but everyone has already summed up my thoughts and feelings on the matter.

No, Itar and Delial met each other right at the end of the Bomb plot. Kage and Itar joined up with the group at the bomb where D was after the fight for askier's sister. Then they started to talk.

The only bit I would add is to also look in the linkshells section of this website (link at the top of the page). If you're not already part of a free company or linkshell, they could also help you get into RP. There are a number of different themes between all of them and different sizes at that... I'm sure you can find at least one that might fit what you're aiming for.

Plus, getting to know a close knit group of people can be a good step to overcoming that shyness.

I'm not saying that hanging out at a hotspot is a bad way to get into RP, but sometimes a small group or one-on-one scene set up in advance is easier to get into. 

That's one thing, Quicksand is a very good spot for me to start any conversations with anyone. But sometime depending on your alignment and your character's backgrounds - it can be discomforting for the other characters (ICly, not OOCly). But also I try not to rely on Quicksand too much because it will make me feel like I'll be stuck there for the rest of my life. But I am listening to everyone's suggestions and advice very willingly and heartedly. 

Warren and Roen and Askier's suggestions were very helpful too. 

I'd also would like to meet Ragnar in the future when I do run into him. Despite that warrior looking characters always intimidate me xD

If nothing else (The tavern's gotten so popular that it's kind of hard to get a word in or interact with people running their own thing if they don't know you - that's my personal opinion however and I could be reading people wrong. I can do that in FGs not so much in social interaction), the 'tenders and Faye will be there to greet you warmly and just how you react to them will definitely help you find your voice.

I'm watching the thread since I'm kind of having problems settling down and RPin' myself.

Saw Aya walking around waitressing last night. I tried to say hello, but was too distracted by an RP I was in.

But like others said, F'eora does the same thing. She just randomly waltzes up to the counter and will say something generic like;

"Dis tavern is fulls as always... whew" and then I'll emote:

*Nods acknowledging the others down the counter, beaming them a welcome smile.*

That almost always guarantees I get someone's attention and shortly after a lengthy RP ensues.

The other thing is consistency. Try and show up to the RP hotspot consecutively until you've built a repertoire. Once you have a good stable of RP friends on your list feel free to skip out a bit.

Keep in mind that a reclusive type character (anti-social) doesn't work too well in a tavern setting and seems more fit for a preset RP Guild. Otherwise take notes from movies; Even reclusive anti-social characters still have mannerisms, habits, and dialogue.

Don't be afraid to chum the waters until the alligators bite. ;)

All the good advice has pretty much been given out, so I thought I'd just offer a couple more connections for you if you're interested.

My FC's OOC LS has RPers in it from a few different groups. Like Freelance mentioned, sometimes just setting something up prior instead of leaving it to chance can get some solid connections.

If you'd like an LS invite, or want to set something up to come meet me and some of my mates, just let me know. Either way, I know finding RP can be a frustrating journey, so I hope you find more of what you're looking for.