RP connection events... Would you be interested?

crowmeleon

I don't post here often, so I'm not quite familiar with the community and its tastes beyond my circle of close friends. But I figured I'd take my head out of the sand to see if anyone was interested in an idea I had. Essentially, small role-play events to foster server wide connections, and allow new players to break onto the screen and make new friends. 

These events could take several forms:

- IC dungeons

- IC fate chains

- IC hunts

- IC gather/craft/bodyguard missions

- IC 'search and rescue' missions

These are just the things off the top of my head. All events would have a broad story prompt, a reason to bring your characters together and set them off on a similar goal. There would be no long-term obligations,  players would be free to sign up for as many events as they want so long as they continued to show up for the events they had signed up for. The majority of them could be done without my personal supervision (I would just play organizer or filler where necessary) and modified to best suit the characters involved. Parties would have free reign to take the story wherever they so please. Some details would only be revealed on the day of the event, or decided by dice rolls during the event. Most events would only involve groups of four, and take about 2 to 3 hours depending on the players.

I would post the events for two weeks in the future, at a set time on a set day. Likely early evenings on Fridays or weekends.

Questions for you:

-First and foremost, obviously, would you sign up for such an event?

-Should the other party members remain secret so it's a surprise who you get matched up with?

-Would you prefer to only be matched with players of a similar self assigned skill level?

-What degree of structure would you like to see in the prompts and mechanisms of the events? Would you rather it be simple so the players can take the story where they want? Or, would you rather it be more specific so you can focus on the role-play itself?

I'd love to get in on things like this, it's always fun to mess with content ICly and to play around with settings.

The only things that might prevent it would be scheduling.  I'm US Central, I'm usually on during the evenings, but my FC has two events weekly (friday and sunday), and another event monthly (usually 3rd saturday).  If you get enough interest to do these, I'll make myself available when I can.

I would personally love to do something like this. It would be an interesting way to shake things up, especially dungeons, and meet new people.

Honestly speaking, it wouldn't matter to me whether the other party members were kept a secret a not. Nor would I care about skill level matching. I would be totally down with whatever happened to come my way.

As for structure, I suppose it would depend on the activity and the group. I mean, speaking from experience with other RP places, sometimes groups need prompts to keep on track because they either fall apart with their own storyline halfway through or they simply can't make a decision on an idea. I am completely guilty of the latter on occasions. So, case by case basis?

Really my only problem with this would be the timing for it. I know i'm in GMT so i'm clearly the wrong person for this by default but I do tend to have a strange schedule when it comes to late nights. If it was on the weekend I would have a little more leeway with my time but, something pushing 3am over here? (Which seems to be a trend for evening events) My ability to write in coherent sentences, let alone focus on a dungeon, has long gone by that point.

Interesting ideas you brought there and I have to say it would be nice. Sitting only in inn/tavern/house for RP can become boring if its only form of RP.  

Once our FC did Lost city of Amdapor to find out more information about lost person and how to find him. Well, we did it and found out that this missing person has used powers in area to transfer himself to other "realm" and story goes on. One FC member is still looking for this person and we others help him to success.

About hosting/making event: I have been planning one idea, where I need some group to protect my cargo from external threat, from point A to point B. Delni is only crafter and not fighter, she need someone to protect her. Then there is issue... Delni doesnt trust mercs too much :P.

Answering to questions:

1. Sure, why not if there is need for artisan :P

2. Depends about event. Sometimes you must plan thing ahead to make them work.

3. Well, in RP level doesn't matter, but if level cap can make thing too easy or hard.

4. Don't know how to answer here, sry :(

Hopefully this was what you wanted from us ^^

I'd find it interesting as someone who role-plays a character that doesn't frequent taverns but instead travels Eorzea as a wanderer. It'd have to be a fairly small group, though - I'm not particularly fond of huge gatherings as it's difficult to follow exactly what is going on and there isn't as much room for character development as there is when dealing with a handful of characters at a time.

The biggest obstacle would be continuity as a lot of role-players tend to invest in something like this, have their characters befriend each other and then...they run off to go and hang out in a tavern instead or the interest slowly fizzles away due to nobody taking the initiative to expand upon an existing story.

-First and foremost, obviously, would you sign up for such an event?

I'd be interested in such things. IC dungeons have happened a couple times, which are fun. With hunts becoming a little less crazy, if we had time to make a hunt group I'd definitely join if I was available. I'd be open to the others as well, depending on how they work out.

-Should the other party members remain secret so it's a surprise who you get matched up with?

A surprise! (There was a similar event *cough* Love on the Sands *cough* where a bunch of people were 'kidnapped' for the event and we did some little games. Otherwise, I'm sure most of us listen to rumors or are adventurers.

-Would you prefer to only be matched with players of a similar self assigned skill level?

As someone trying to get that mythical lv50 everything, I like helping new people. I'd place myself into the middle-tier of "progression", since I eventually clear that hard content, but it's not a priority, and I'm certainly not doing it in a timely manner.

-What degree of structure would you like to see in the prompts and mechanisms of the events? Would you rather it be simple so the players can take the story where they want? Or, would you rather it be more specific so you can focus on the role-play itself?

Probably something specific to start it off, like how we'd be grouped together. Whether there's structure after that is open for debate by others. I'd probably enjoy my time either way.

I'd be especially interested in IC dungeons or hunts. I don't get to do enough of those. :)

I've no real preference about whether the party members are secret or if the skill level is matched; I spend a lot of time in DR Low and level synced helping people out, so I'm fine with doing anything that I actually have the gear to do (that said, all of my level 50 classes are at least i90, so I'm good for anything that isn't Second Coil :) ). I lean a bit towards totally random matching, as that can spawn some fun RP.

For IC dungeons or hunts, I think the only structure you need is a premise for why all these people are together. Beyond that, I think the RP should go where it goes.

I would love to participate in some sort of events like this eventually. These are the type of RP events I enjoy most since I'm not one to always sit at a tavern or have picnics and what not. I had hosted many events for equilibrium in the past that had to do with these sort of events but do keep in mind for dungeons it is best to keep it on the easier ones and make sure you let your party know to take their time! People are often afraid of the Dungeon timer, IC dungeons should not really be about completion but more so the RP. :3

Always down for in-character dungeon runs. And a crafting event would feel... well, I think it would be an interesting change of pace having an event like that. More of an atmosphere of colleagues, and good-natured getting-things-done chat rather than life-on-the-line monster fighting.

As for random vs. matching, perfectly fine with whichever. I think random might help the RP and getting-to-know-stuff feel more organic, though. Otherwise it feels a bit eharmony-ish.