Does your character have any unfair Bias or Discrimination?

Kage

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still do think less of most Miq males too if only because for better or worse the large portion of IC interactions I have had with them were...stupid.  A lot of Miq males think of themselves as anime-powered hot-shit with wolverine claws and true ultimate power that can raze a city and are more than willing to pick a fight.  Maybe Im too down to earth in my roleplay

It's hilarious that you consider your character down to earth after writing A Typical Day.

It was an entertaining read and if that's what you want with your roleplay, fine. But there is absolutely nothing down to earth about Otto if that story is a typical day in his life. And you stating that your RP is such after ragging on straw-man Miqo rpers so hard takes the cake.

I still do think less of most Miq males too if only because for better or worse the large portion of IC interactions I have had with them were...stupid.  A lot of Miq males think of themselves as anime-powered hot-shit with wolverine claws and true ultimate power that can raze a city and are more than willing to pick a fight.  Maybe Im too down to earth in my roleplay

It's hilarious that you consider your character down to earth after writing A Typical Day.

It was an entertaining read and if that's what you want with your roleplay, fine. But there is absolutely nothing down to earth about Otto if that story is a typical day in his life. And you stating that your RP is such after ragging on straw-man Miqo rpers so hard takes the cake.

Come on people know when I say that I mean powers and stuff. Its not a straw-man though, for better or worse. And when you quote me dont forget next time to add the important qualifiers "who want to pick a fight". Quoting me like that is a bit disingenuous and makes it look wrong. I generally leave it alone that people have powers and I actually dont care too much, but when they IC just act like aggressive people who want to fight all the time with me for...whatever reason, thats when Otto starts to think less of Miq males since he has run into a bunch of hot-headed ones. Like I said not all of them are viewed as lesser and Otto is fond of the ones that are level headed - Val, Shonji, and Ziuz after him and I settled our differences.

Come on people know when I say that I mean powers and stuff.  Its not a straw-man though, for better or worse.

You, sir, are clearly RPing with the wrong male Miqos!

It's hard to say Edgar has any really unfair bias, but I think his view towards the Primals and their relation to Beast Tribes counts, if only for so long.

Ed has seen firsthand the destruction the Primal's have wrought in their wake. The straw that broke the horsebird's back for him was Garuda, who was not only uninterested in tempering or protecting her Ixal tribe, but was a bloodthirsty, power-hungry sadist who delighted in slaughter.

In other words, in the debate between Y'shtola and Merlwyb, Ed would take Merlwyb's side in a heartbeat. In his own words:

"I don't care if we struck first. If the Beast Tribe in question's response is to abandon parley and summon forth a monster that wishes to do naught but inflict harm upon countless innocents, without care for those who had nothing to do with the perceived threat who are caught in the crossfire, sparing few if only to temper them into eternal servitude, then we are the bleeding humanitarians in comparison! I cannot feel empathy towards a tribe of savages whose idea of recourse is genocide!"

However, Edgar has ICly met with Novv and his clutch in the Sapsa Spawning Grounds, and is slowly beginning to understand he is generalizing just as much as any thrall of Leviathan.

C'kayah is very fond of Coatleque. She's taken him from merely well off all the way to obscenely wealthy in one fell swoop! :angel:

What. What happened

Osric Melkire, The Syndicate, Tylwyth Narah and a written charter declaring immunity to search and seizure in Thanalan is what happened. 8-)

... Wow.

Osric Melkire, The Syndicate, Tylwyth Narah and a written charter declaring immunity to search and seizure in Thanalan is what happened. 8-)

Wait what? All Coatleque did was get him a license to resume trade in Thanalan. Nothing about immunity to inspection!

Oscric, wut u do? Stahp it!

:dazed:

Val dislikes the rich, mostly because he's used to them looking down on him or seeing him at face value and expecting him to be worthless. In fact, when he first met his lady, he told her she was a stuck up Princess (thus the nickname) and ignorant for judging him before she knew him.

Melfice judges everyone and dislikes most people. He hates physical contact. The only people he doesn't judge are those that share an intellect with him.

Cyrus judges and is biased against no one. My sweet, summer child.

Oh, Otto, I wasn't going to say it! OOC, I dislike the anime influences many characters seem to have. Miqo'te Males are the most egregious examples of having this, followed by Midlander Males (BOTH OF YOU STOP WEARING THOSE SNOW COATS!) My main character's influence is Vernon Roche from Witcher 2; a very realistic and gritty -Western- RPG, go figure. It's just two RP worlds, so really, it's a matter of personal taste. After all, we -are- roleplaying in a Japanese universe...

However, IC, I've contrived of a totally different reason as to why Kale does not like Miqo'te, particularly men. From the NPC demographics of Ul'dah, it's very clear that Miqo'te are not part of the ordinary citizenry. He believes that Miqo'te society (his opinion mostly shaped by Seekers since this is Thanalan) is highly misogynistic and morally questionable, and borderline animalistic where one man bangs fifty women. He sees their habits as completely unwelcome in the civilized walls of a city-state. Even 'city Miqo'te' (which there isn't any NPC evidence for in Ul'dah, meaning it would be a rarity) he perceives as 'tribals trying to dress up like a city person and merely imitating'. Even worse, is when male Miqo'te hit on Hyuran women. That pisses him off especially. He gives female Miqo'te a bit more berth, however. Since prejudice is irrational by default, Kale certainly likes Miqo'te who prove themselves according to his criteria. Same logic as "Hey, some of my best friends are !". On that note about male Miqo'te hitting on Hyuran women...same "logic" behind those who didn't want interracial marriage between white and black folk. Not kidding when I say to folk that Kale would vote Republican if he existed IRL!

Oh, Coatleque, those adventurers! Kale does not like them either, because he is a huge conformist and traditionalist. Adventurers tend to be idiosyncratic and strange. OOC, a lot of that anime and overpowered stuff comes into play here, but IC, it's a case of Kale going "Oh, so you're different than the rest of us ordinary people, are you?". Basically a form of Tall poppy syndrome. It's an interesting case of an 'ordinary person being surrounded by extraordinary people'. Take an NPC reacting to one of the PC's crazy achievements, similar sort of thing.

Askier has developed a bias over the course of role play. He was skinned alive and tortured by a roe named Itar. Ever since that event he can't stand to be around them or speak to them and thinks of them as nothing more than feral animals waiting to inflict pain on people because he is afraid of them.

In terms of Tiergan - he doesn't hate tribal miqo'te, but he's really unnerved by their culture. He's an urban miqo'te and has spent his entire life in cities. The culture and societal structure of miqo'te tribes, both Moon Keeper and Sun Seeker sound frighteningly confining to him. If he somehow wound up in a Seeker Tribe - he would probably do everything in his power *not* to end up Nunh even if it lead to people questioning his masculinity. A life spent as breeding stock just isn't what he wants to do with himself. He doesn't understand why the majority of tribe cats don't flee to the cities.

Lurial doesn't have many biases. Everyone is an opportunity to learn something interesting.

Furious Storm can sometimes be wary of Sea Wolf men, if they are young, loud, rowdy, and seem like they're looking to prove something. The louder and more chaotic they are, the quietly discomforted he is by them. This is mostly a product of his younger adventuring days when he'd often find himself getting into scraps with sailors in Limsa Lominsa -- most of which just happened to be Sea Wolves. All of this can easily be dispelled with friendly conversation and a good drink.

Leilani, like Luri, doesn't have any biases. Everyone's an opportunity to get a sweet, sweet bard song made!

Miqo'te Males are the most egregious examples of having this, followed by Midlander Males (BOTH OF YOU STOP WEARING THOSE SNOW COATS!)

NO. YOU CAN'T MAKE US. NYAH~~~

BRB. GLAMOURING SNOW COAT TO ALL OF MY GEAR. ( Also, I don't have any cool looking gear yet. Just let me have my ink-blue trenchcoat. ;_; )

Also, folks, let's keep the "I dislike certain types of characters OOC" out of this thread if we can. This is clearly a thread about what our characters ICly dislike - not a thread about what kinds of RP and characters we think are lame. The mention of why you hate certain characters OOC, even if many of us agree with some of it, can kind of take this thread down an unpleasant road if it continues, I think.

Jana is definitely biased against Wildwood Elezen, being from the Shroud but not Gridania proper. She doesn't have any outright hatred for them like she does towards Garleans, but she finds them a stuffy bunch that is best avoided. She tends to paint in broad strokes.

While she doesn't have actual negative feelings towards lalafell, them being little and it being hard to tell their genders at times leads to Jana generalizing them as "funny little popoto people," certainly an unfair bias, if not outright racist!

As a career adventurer, anyone that isn't part of the welcomed races (beastmen, goblins, etc.) are ignored at best, targets at worst, with the exception of the Kobolds ("If they can build such awesome machines, they can't be as barbaric as the rest!"). Ironically enough, her opinion on them only improved after participating in a campaign to defeat their primal, Titan... And barring exceptional circumstances, Garleans are "capture on sight, kill if that fails."

She hasn't really run into any tribal Miqo'te of the Sun, but I feel like she might be biased against them too. Anyone that elevates a single breeding male to such a lofty status and disregards the rest can't be right in the head. (Nevermind that Nunh doesn't often mean Leader, but Jana wouldn't know that!)

Oddly enough, Jana both likes only women and doesn't have any biases against men in general.

Wait what?  All Coatleque did was get him a license to resume trade in Thanalan.  Nothing about immunity to inspection!

Oscric, wut u do?  Stahp it!

That's what Nat offered him to get him interested in looking for Osric. Coatleque delivered a piece of paper that made good on Nat's promise. Take it up with Nat. C's too busy reclining on a bed made of gil... ;)

Wait what?  All Coatleque did was get him a license to resume trade in Thanalan.  Nothing about immunity to inspection!

Oscric, wut u do?  Stahp it!

I did absolutely nothing... other than fake C'kayah's death once upon a time. I should probably notify Swift that the male is at large again. Hmm. Yes.

EDIT:

NAAAAAAAAAAT~!!! *shakes fist*

Jaques has... a few.

I dont' think I've made a secret of his wariness for Wildwoods. And he's downright antagonistic towards Wood Wailers/Godsbowman. Which is why he's ICly banned from Gridania at present...

He has a bias against 'madammes' 'dames' 'pimp' 'mothers' 'masters' whatever term they wanna use for a head of a brothel/prostitution ring. They lure pretty men and women in with promises of gil for the sale of sexual favors. Offer an assortment of protections. Which sounds fine on the surface. But he's noticed in practice the protections can be very selectively enforced based on several arbitrary factors. And the whore has little-to-no say in -who- they bed for the evening. He has little issues with the whores/companions/courtesans in general and has great respect for those that are in business for themselves.

He also hates gil and those with it. He grew up in a clan where a gil structure was non-existant and a person's worth was gauged on how well they did the job they took/were given to provide for the clan community as a whole. Where he's noticed how a man can nearly break himself in labor in the 'overworld' and make a pittance. With the bulk of the earnings ending up in some fat noble's pocket malms away. He despises the fact that those who undertake labor intensive jobs for a living are viewed in many aspects as inferior to those who take on more intellectual and manipulative pursuits. He's not exactly happy that he's reached a point in his life where gil is actually needed in large quantity.

He also has a bias against obviously overweight people. Not that it's come up exactly with other PCs... But he views it as the product of a sedate and over indulgent lifestyle.

Oh man Kage's reaction if he was called a Popoto person D:

She has a high opinion of individuals like Kage. But like I said, broad strokes...

:bouncy::blush::bouncy:

I want to meet someone who'd call Kage a popoto.

He still hasn't eaten one. (To his knowledge).

He's eaten them but he didn't know that's what they were called. xD

Oh man Kage's reaction if he was called a Popoto person D:

She has a high opinion of individuals like Kage. But like I said, broad strokes...

:bouncy::blush::bouncy:

I want to meet someone who'd call Kage a popoto.

He still hasn't eaten one. (To his knowledge).

He's eaten them but he didn't know that's what they were called. xD

Jana would probably make a popoto gruel on an adventure and make a goofy remark about it while serving it, without outright calling him a "popoto person." "Haha, don't feel too bad eating it," or something like that.

Now that I think about it, Jana's biases are largely based on her first impressions. Kage was part of her rescue party, after all. Even the fact that she isn't biased against men could be attributed to this, as the men she interacted with after leaving the shroud have all been serious types: Fellow gil-minded adventurers, soldiers, and mercenaries. If she'd met one of those that fancy themselves a playboy at first, she could have ended up a lot less trusting.

Rowe has a prejudice towards Duskwight Elezen, subconsciously believing any of them she sees to be backwards, poor, and ignorant.

She also has a tendency to disrespect Seeker females and Tia males, believing that they are weak. However, she does respect Nunh males quite a bit.

Kendha'to hates everyone. Probably even you. -Points through the screen, directly at.. you.-

More seriously, he bears an extreme dislike for Seeker tradition. Does not understand it, does not make any effort to do so; he's as stubborn as they come on this point. He also doesn't like Gridanians, especially elezen. He's taken to trading with them at times, and will tolerate them, but one shouldn't expect any sort of pleasant conversation. His feelings on Lalafell can be summed up in a single phrase: "Hnn, creepy." Not outright hate, but isn't about to go out of his way to talk to 'em.

In contrast, Yvelont is pretty.. darn.. progressive, despite having grown up in and around Ishgard. He had a tendency as a child to consort with the oddballs: vagrants, ne'er-do-wells - so long as they had a story to tell. He leapt at the chance to talk to travelers from other lands when they passed through Owl's Nest in his youth, and was rather well-read and curious about all races. Still, he despises Dravanians and ixali, but whether or not such discrimination would be deemed "unfair" is debatable given his history in both Ishgard and Gridania.

Anyone in law enforcement.

Seriously though, Fohcswys  has a bit of a bias against any Lalafell that isn't a mage of some description. Specifically that. Archers are a bit hit or miss. And it's not a end all seething loathing it's more of a 'I'd really rather not' sort of reaction.

There's no logical reason for it. It's entirely born of the irrational idea that a lalafell with a sword/lance/axe/'fists' is the perfect height to swing at kneecaps.