Fight Club Event - Bare knuckle fighting. Any interest?

OttoVann

Title says it. I like the grindstone but my OOC biases about fighting affect my IC biases about fighting. I love boxing, and I love watching bare knuckle brawls even if that is a bit...crass and abhorrent to some. I dont particularly care for people fighting with swords and armor on or other weapons, or rather I'd prefer to spectate fighting that has no weapons and armor. Actual legit fighting with weapons is ok but less interesting to me as a spectator when its for sport.

So I want to set up an event(s) that are maybe 'underground' fighting with a Fight Club vibe.

I want nit and grit. I want to see people beating each other until theyre tired of it (lose). I want to see people venting their frustrations from a long week of annoyance. I want to see some people maybe showing up in masks to protect their identity so they can enjoy beating the hell out of someone. I want to see injuries perhaps (only if healers are onsite to cure them right up to a point where there is no permanent harm). I want to see unarmed combat.

I don't want to be uber cliched and walk around talking about rules where you DONT TALK ABOUT FIGHTCLUB, but I am thinking of having a grit feel to it much like the movie / book portrayed. I want to see a circle of people jeering as two people fight each other in the middle of it, cheering for blood and reveling in massive blows that ruin someone. I am looking to avoid a lot of pomp and circumstance. I want a down-to-earth feel. No flashy introductions, no massive alter egos (though they are fine to have) that take up long massive WWE style introductions.

There would be rules, no weapons, no powers, no ultra-strength that punches holes through steel walls, and no armor. That might make it too boring though because theres only so much creativity you can do with hand-to-hand combat. The flare and fun would have to come from people exploring their creativity in their combat /emotes perhaps. What do people think about this?

Is there any interest in this? Too ambitious? Too cliched? Id be putting money on the line and we would basically steal how the Grindstone goes about its combat rules with dice-rolling and such.

To add a bit more detail Im thinking this is a once a week thing. ICly Otto is doing this for his love of seeing fighting. I doubt I would ever contribute and actually participate in the fights. I will not be wearing a mask and hiding my identity. I will prefer to have one, maybe two fights at the most going on at the same time so that everyone else can watch and cheer and jeer. It will not be winner take-all. It will be like an 80-20 split to the 1st and 2nd place finishers. It would be like the grindstone with single-elimination brackets and if people want to pick their opponent I would be ok with it. I encourage all walks of life to show up, sworn, street rats, office jockey type people, adventurers, etc.

Still formulating the idea in my head but this is all I have thus far.

Im also wanting to do this on Sunday. Maybe 6 PM Eastern Standard Time as a rough idea when it can start. Please everyone give feedback on the time.

I do not have an idea for location yet, but I want it to be indoors somewhere. Whether its a building in a town somewhere or someones FC basement perhaps...

[EDITS ARE ACTIVELY BEING MADE TO THE OP OVER TIME AS I COME UP WITH MORE FEEDBACK AND IDEA. PLEASE REREAD AT YOUR LEISURE IF YOU COME BACK.]

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maaaaaaaybe. Once you flesh it out a bit more I might be able to think of a way to get involved.

This may be a good way for me to reimagine Bloody Bennett... Heh heh...

When you say flesh it out what do you mean?

Prolly stuff like time/day? Nat and I were thinking of one on maybe Wednesday nights. Give some opportunity during the week. Or maybe Sundays for more exposure?

Good good. Like for me I know there are a LOT of people who have rough and tumble backgrounds with scars from all the street fights they get into and blah blah. Why not show us all how good you got at fighting.

Or even the weekend enthusiasts like me who just enjoy seeing/involving themselves in fighting. Show up and beat the fuck out of people. Hopefully there is interest.

Well I ask because being able to use not just your fists and elbows but your knees and legs are nice too.

But it -is- also your rules.

No matter what though if there's a so-called prize, my highlander is interested.

People can kick if they want. They can WWE for all I care. Unarmed is what matters.

Unarmed! Understood.

One thing I will caution about weekday events and based in my experience with GS and the ball.

The timing of the event may not coincide for many people. If you do it in the week, you run the risk of catching people still at work or those heading into that time where they need to sleep. I've seen GS go into 10-11pm PDT, running more than 2 hours, maybe 3. That's late for just me on the pacific, that may be -way- too late for others if it's a weekday

My character is a fighting enthusiast and would be more than happy to attend something like this.Maybe you can do it in the style of a long-term fighting tournament that lasts about a month?

Like...eight fighters. Each round of the competition lasts a night, so by the time that event is over on the first night, four folks move on to the next week. Those two fights happen then-- with something in place to make them last longer and be more engaging/intense, then the winners get to fight for the grand prize the next week (in a mega epic suspenseful beat-fest). You can probably up it from eight to twelve, depending on how long you want a 'season' of fighting to last. That way it stays intimate and very much a spectator event -- a short and manageable one too! 

That's just an idea I had floating around, though!

Also, your time looks decent. I'd be able to attend a two-three hour thing at that rate.

My character is a fighting enthusiast and would be more than happy to attend something like this.Maybe you can do it in the style of a long-term fighting tournament that lasts about a month?

Like...eight fighters. Each round of the competition lasts a night, so by the time that event is over on the first night, four folks move on to the next week. Those two fights happen then-- with something in place to make them last longer and be more engaging/intense, then the winners get to fight for the grand prize the next week (in a mega epic suspenseful beat-fest). You can probably up it from eight to twelve, depending on how long you want a 'season' of fighting to last. That way it stays intimate and very much a spectator event -- a short and manageable one too! 

That's just an idea I had floating around, though!

Also, your time looks decent. I'd be able to attend a two-three hour thing at that rate.

My only concern about this is having people who want to fight every week (IronSea probably one of them) maybe not getting their ass-beating quota in for the week if they get knocked out of contention for the event after week 2 for example.

Maybe if there is a laddered and tiered month long style event we can have side fights for smaller pots to keep the entertainment going.

Also I guess another concern would be repeat attendance. If we are in week three dealing with semi-finals and someone no-shows for whatever reason, thats a default win and sadly no fighting then.

Hm

I think Otto brought up a good point there, though I did like the sound of a tournament spanning a month or so.

Sometimes people can't make the next week for some reason or another. No show = disqualification = auto win. That might lead to no fight at all with spectators wondering where the hot highlanders are the fight is.

Since my only experience with matching and boxing is from Mitsuru Adachi's boxing manga I'm out on the rest of tournament making. (All those things I never learned for starcraft tournaments boo) But it sounds like you could have the grand tournament event going on, and little side small matches can also take place. I think that's what you said? My inexperience with such stuff shows.

Speaking of highlander bare fights.

<.< >.>

Turkish Oil Wrestling. *nod*

No?

... ok.

As of the most recent edits, I still like this idea!

..Not sure if I'd be able to make the time though, since I may or may not be getting into a DnD game with some friends at the same time. (If I did, I would likely still have a computer, but splitting attention like that isn't really fair to either party. But we shall see!)

also, yes Kage. Basically Turkish Oil fighting. Needs more Highlander.

Edit: It should most definitely be in the Thaumaturges' Guild. Gods know they could use the excitement!

...or one of the pubs in Coerthas.