Firearms and Eorzea

OttoVann

So guns exist I am pretty sure. But are they all rifles of some sort? Are there handguns? Little muskets/pistols?

Are they black powder powered archaic weapons or more like modern firearms?

Revolvers or single shot pistols or semi-autos....I just dont know.

Im looking to incorporate Otto perhaps carrying a sidearm but I just need to know more before I decide on it.

Sounsyy pls

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Merlwyb's got flintlock (I think?) pistols.

Under FC crests, in with the rest of the class icons, there's a pair of crossed pistols.

Same logo appears in the MRD guild in Limsa on a sign board.

Gunblades exist but seem to be Garlemald tech.

Not sure why I keep page breaking every line.

oh god can't stop help

pls

no

bully

Take a run to the Marauder's guild - you'll see three ladies practicing with pistols, and a Roegadyn instructing them. The weapons look rather exactly like the sort of flintlocks that one would expect from a Pirate-based culture.

Supposedly, this little inclusion suggests that a pistol- or firearm- based class might make its way to Limsa someday.

Garlean technology is apparently a hodgepodge of historical eras, but their cannons, to me, bear a Napoleonic flair. The Mark XLIII uses shells that, if I remember, resemble enlarged bullets, as seen in the fight against Livia.

Also, you'll see some rather large and prominent cannons in Stone Vigil.

Take a run to the Marauder's guild - you'll see three ladies practicing with pistols, and a Roegadyn instructing them. The weapons look rather exactly like the sort of flintlocks that one would expect from a Pirate-based culture.

Supposedly, this little inclusion suggests that a pistol- or firearm- based class might make its way to Limsa someday.

Garlean technology is apparently a hodgepodge of historical eras, but their cannons, to me, bear a Napoleonic flair. The Mark XLIII uses shells that, if I remember, resemble enlarged bullets, as seen in the fight against Livia.

So Otto wont be carrying a small little gun on an inner pocket then perhaps. Garleans have automatics but non-garleans carry powder based flintlock guns. cant really conceal carry flintlocks

Lame.

Firearms definitely exist. Their true state is up in the air, but from what I've seen:

Garleans follow the fantasy basis of Magitek, mechanics with fudged workings that are McGuffined simply by saying: Magic does it. It makes it difficult to gauge however I'd place them at: Late Percussion Cap styled weaponry.

Personally picturing their weaponry with mechanisms similar to a late era revolver: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_Army_Model_1860

With the same type of ammunition utilizing some form of advanced paper cartridge (alchemical magitek thing) or an early form of metallic cartridge.

For the rest of the world, I think we're Likely utilizing either black powder (the logical choice) or, with alchemical and magical advancements as well as chances to look at discarded Garlean technology over the years I wouldn't be surprised if Eorzea has picked up paper cartidges and flintlock/percussion cap as their mainstay.

I'm personallyof the opion that, like most gaps within firearm technology, those with money can acquire limited supplies of higher grade technology. Someone taking apart a gunblade from Garlean infantry (had to be plenty scattered after the fall) and simply reverse engineering it to a thrown back state is very feasible. I could see Otto having enough resources and IC reasoning to be able to acquire a derringer-type side arm, small and admittedly clumsy but it's a place to start.

Remember Copperbell story mode. We are literally collecting black powder to blow open rocks. If Eorzea's going to have firearms, that's how we're going to do it.

They exist, Otto, but they're likely in such controlled and limited supply it would be a bit off for it to be something you'd be able to just stroll around with. That said, Otto is fairly wealthy and well-connected. It wouldn't be TOO unheard of for him to be able to procure one, but don't expect any sort of authority to be keen on it.

Actually, this gives me an idea.

Remember Copperbell story mode. We are literally collecting black powder to blow open rocks. If Eorzea's going to have firearms, that's how we're going to do it.

They exist, Otto, but they're likely in such controlled and limited supply it would be a bit off for it to be something you'd be able to just stroll around with. That said, Otto is fairly wealthy and well-connected. It wouldn't be TOO unheard of for him to be able to procure one, but don't expect any sort of authority to be keen on it.

I was envisioning carrying a small handgun, maybe it shoots something akin to .22 shorts or another small cartridge like .25 perhaps. Just something small kept inside a shoulder holster under his suit-jackets. Not something he would ever wave around or anything or flash or show off, just a gun though.

I think I will have Ridley simply carry a flintlock pistol for me though, maybe not always depending on the business.

So Otto wont be carrying a small little gun on an inner pocket then perhaps. Garleans have automatics but non-garleans carry powder based flintlock guns. cant really conceal carry flintlocks

Lame.

Flintlocks are for poors. Let me introduce to you my friend, the wheel lock.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheellock

I was envisioning carrying a small handgun, maybe it shoots something akin to .22 shorts or another small cartridge like .25 perhaps. Just something small kept inside a shoulder holster under his suit-jackets. Not something he would ever wave around or anything or flash or show off, just a gun though.

I think I will have Ridley simply carry a flintlock pistol for me though, maybe not always depending on the business.

You're killing my suspense, Otto. :cry:

I remember there actually being a quest in 1.0 where you got see your character take a pistol and shoot at a practice target. Wasn't there a musketeer guild back then too? The Knights of the Barracuda? My memories are super fuzzy about it.

You're killing my suspense, Otto. :cry:

Assume what you want about me ic m8, its all the better

Also, keep in mind the Garlean's use gun-blades. Emphasis on blades. Even if it is a more advanced gun at the hilt, it probably has 1-6 shots max, is not easy to reload on the fly, and infers that the main method of fighting is still hand-to-hand.

At the battle of Carteneau in the End of an Era video, you see the majority of the Garlean forces charging in with a mixture of sword and shield, axe, and spear. At the 1:58 mark, you see a few of them firing the gun-blade one shot at a time, three rounds before the video cuts away. This is where I get my 1-6 shot number from.

Ill need to gather some capable IC alchemists and Blacksmiths to perhaps work out a custom design. A lot of rich peoples guns back in the day we're all custom made (much like today where rich fucks can get $15000 guns personally madefor them with exact custom specifications).

Maybe I could commission a deringer sized flintlock weapon of sorts by having the right people put it together for me.

I remember there actually being a quest in 1.0 where you got see your character take a pistol and shoot at a practice target. Wasn't there a musketeer guild back then too? The Knights of the Barracuda? My memories are super fuzzy about it.

Yeah, the Musketeer's Guild was on the map and everything. I remember the cutscene in question, too. At the time, I was like: @_@ Can.. Can I keep it? (Nope.)

gun.png

Here's the guild marked on the old map:

77e822ee6dc6333db9a2ea4a851fc51c34c746d3_large.jpg

godihopeitsnotgonnabejustanotherdpsclass

Ahem, but yeah. At the time, the Musketeer's Guild was located in Coral Tower; the Marauders' Guild was located on a ship.

Also, keep in mind the Garlean's use gun-blades.  Emphasis on blades.  Even if it is a more advanced gun at the hilt, it probably has 1-6 shots max, is not easy to reload on the fly, and infers that the main method of fighting is still hand-to-hand.

At the battle of Carteneau in the End of an Era video, you see the majority of the Garlean forces charging in with a mixture of sword and shield, axe, and spear.  At the 1:58 mark, you see a few of them firing the gun-blade one shot at a time, three rounds before the video cuts away.  This is where I get my 1-6 shot number from.

The 3D renders I have for Gaius' Gunblade show a 6 shot revolver. As do the Garlean Infantry weapons. Most of the designs show an internalized revolver firing mechanism which is where I imagine their weapons to be firing late breech loaded paper or metallic cartridges reminiscent of firearms technology of the late 1860's. A skilled hand could load six shots quite easily but certainly not fast enough to enable automatic fire or anything of the sort but 6 in a revolver (at the range) is about 10-15 seconds for me, personally; under pressure probably a lot more but... just as a frame of reference.

From Copperbell story mode, we also know that the equivalent to gunpowder in Eorzea is called "firesand." I seem to recall that being mentioned again in a leve or FATE somewhere.

I presume Garlean weapons operate using ceruleum, which being liquid suggests a number of different possible firing mechanisms. Since we know a little bit about how Reaper armor works (power comes from the core, which runs on ceruleum, to power the main magitek cannon; overloading the core can produce a bigger blast, but is likely to destroy the core), it may be that Garlean energy weapons are fairly restrictive in size, and that's why the gunblades have that revolver look instead of just being lightsabers or what have you.

Or maybe gunblades just look cool and we can't derive anything else from that. :)

Also, is that lalafell shooting with a side grip? Aaaaaugh. :)

The musketeer's guild certainly exists, even if we as PCs can't join it yet. Firearms exist and, if they aren't prominent, they are at least present in numbers in Limsa Lominsa. Given that, it wouldn't be any sort of a stretch to suggest that some are smuggled underground and distributed through black markets.

I can see Otto possessing a pistol. It wouldn't be anything small like a snub revolver, but he could probably conceal it within the folds of that glorious pink coat.

Gaius is a really quick hand at reloading his gunblade :(

CqV84_rKfxU

@6:10

Edit: Oh wait nope he just likes to shoot more from his wrist than his waist.

No, you're right, watch further into the fight, he fires over 10 rounds in the span of a few seconds... I remember screaming about it as a gun-guy and then getting over it as soon as I remembered: Magitek Bullshit.

A skilled hand could load six shots quite easily but certainly not fast enough to enable automatic fire or anything of the sort but 6 in a revolver (at the range) is about 10-15 seconds for me, personally; under pressure probably a lot more but... just as a frame of reference.

Maybe the Garleans have speedloaders?

613x613http://www.gradysoutdoors.com/prodimages/2214-DEFAULT-l.jpg[/img]

(Dear workplace firewall, quit being a butt)