Need PC Build Help/Online Builder/Troubleshooting

Kage

So I was a dumb recently (about 2-3 weeks ago) by finally putting the return I got from RAM RMA into my build. Problem is that I have the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO and so I jiggled it around and I'm worried that I unseated and/or broke some pins on my i7-3770 cpu.

Because steadily to the point of not even once in 30 shots has my desktop even hit POST or given me a beep. I've gotten it to work once a day but I've gone through 30-50 attempts in that last 12 hours. It's gotten to the point where I am now on <4 hours of sleep where it still hasn't POST... But I haven't had any BSODs.. no crashes. Nothing. Just POST issues. No beep codes.

It's not simply a display issue as even my K70 corsair's LEDs don't light up... no beep. I've checked the connections and also removed all RAM, not one beep code.

So I believe my CPU and/or MOBO may be borked and I'm possibly worried about "having" to troubleshoot it. I don't know of any computer repair places so at this point I'm thinking of just building another PC but I don't have the willpower to do it myself.

On the other hand, would it be simple to just replace the mobo with a new one and a new CPU? I believe everything else is fine but I'm also frustrated enough with the troubleshooting process that I'm not 100% -sure- that they are (SSD, HDD, GPU, PSU, RAM).

I'm also a blind Kage and I don't have a jumper nor do I know where the CMOS battery is on my MSI z77a-g45 to attempt to clear CMOS.

tl;dr: 1) What PC builder sites are good? (Reliability/Performance/Price?)

2) I believe everything else is ok: RAM, GPU, HDD,SSD. If I buy a new MOBO and CPU, how does that installation process go? Easy? Just a new OS? No?

Most modern motherboards have a button to clear CMOS. The battery also looks like a giant watch battery most of the time.

There's also lots of local friends who build computers Kage. *stares at thermal paste cleaner/prepper kit that happens to still be on work desk*

>.> There's this button I could press that was for CMOS and I pressed it multiple times. held it for long periods of time. Nada ><

But yer busy.

I'm more concerned with: How goes the OS? It's all on my SSD so would I need to re-do that etc? I've got a hybrid system essentially where I have most programs on my SSD and the data on my HDD.

Also why do kittehs make the process more frustrating by trying to stuff their faces into your desktop when you're trying to do things. Like put some bolts back into the motherboard cause nuts fell off and you need them for your cpu cooler >.>

While there are sites like http://pcpartpicker.com/, sometimes local stores also have excellent deals, like Frys and Microcenter. (In my experience, Frys has better mobo prices and MC has better CPU prices). They also feature same-day buying if needed and generally have nice return policies. (Although, most places will not accept a mobo with a bent pin, unless you have some way of proving it was made defective.

Most modern motherboards have a button to clear CMOS. The battery also looks like a giant watch battery most of the time.

There's also lots of local friends who build computers Kage. *stares at thermal paste cleaner/prepper kit that happens to still be on work desk*

>.> There's this button I could press that was for CMOS and I pressed it multiple times. held it for long periods of time. Nada >

But yer busy.

I'm more concerned with: How goes the OS? It's all on my SSD so would I need to re-do that etc? I've got a hybrid system essentially where I have most programs on my SSD and the data on my HDD.

Also why do kittehs make the process more frustrating by trying to stuff their faces into your desktop when you're trying to do things. Like put some bolts back into the motherboard cause nuts fell off and you need them for your cpu cooler >.>

Busy with what? I play videogames all day er'r day. as far as OS goes, it depends. Sometimes, Windows will count a new mobo as a new computer, so if your copy of Windows was an OEM version, you may have to deal with asking Microsoft to deactivate the "old" computer, so you can activate again. Other times, it's seamless.

For programs, unless you're changing your drive mapping and the drive letters, everything is going to stay linked. Trust me on this. I've done so many terrible things to hard drives I can verify this works. I can also say that Windows symbolic links are shit and Microsoft should feel bad about it.

Generally to reset CMOS, you have to flush all power from it. If anything was still plugged in (cables/power cords), that might not happen. 

How to IT with kittens: bring computer to a friend's place where there are no kittens.

If you are that comfortable to build your own PC, then you should be equally comfortable to take the thing back apart.

You already have an i7. There hasn't been any 'huge' improvements in the CPU market for 5+ years now since the chip came out. I would save your money and rather invest the time to take it back apart and inspect the pins first.

Make sure you have extra thermal paste to put the heat sink back on.

If you jostled the cooler it may have simply come loose from the CPU itself. The chips get very hot, very fast, and it may be over-temping before the machine can even POST depending on your configuration.

While there are sites like http://pcpartpicker.com/, sometimes local stores also have excellent deals, like Frys and Microcenter. (In my experience, Frys has better mobo prices and MC has better CPU prices). They also feature same-day buying if needed and generally have nice return policies. (Although, most places will not accept a mobo with a bent pin, unless you have some way of proving it was made defective.

Ngghh yeah I'm still slightly hoping I don't have to rebuild a desktop so I'm looking into some tech repair places I might try calling today.

But then if I do need to build a new one gughhhhhh.

I like my desktop guys ; ; It's got blue shiny lights and I built it. :c

If you jostled the cooler it may have simply come loose from the CPU itself. The chips get very hot, very fast, and it may be over-temping before the machine can even POST depending on your configuration.

I made a quick, looksee at it and I didn't see any pins bent and whenever I re-seat it, it looks like everything is aligned right. I've bought thermal paste since the one I have is left over an hour away. I've attached and reattached the cooler after trying to re-seat the cpu. I tried to check if the thing would just POST really quickly without the cooler and without it. Yes I'm crazy. I did it without the cooler to see if it would just quickly do it and because again the thermal paste is now on its way and will be delivered tomorrow. Done the same thing with the RAM, no beep codes :/

Ngghh yeah I'm still slightly hoping I don't have to rebuild a desktop so I'm looking into some tech repair places I might try calling today.

But then if I do need to build a new one gughhhhhh.

I like my desktop guys ; ; It's got blue shiny lights and I built it. :c

If you jostled the cooler it may have simply come loose from the CPU itself.  The chips get very hot, very fast, and it may be over-temping before the machine can even POST depending on your configuration.

I made a quick, looksee at it and I didn't see any pins bent and whenever I re-seat it, it looks like everything is aligned right. I've bought thermal paste since the one I have is left over an hour away. I've attached and reattached the cooler after trying to re-seat the cpu. I tried to check if the thing would just POST really quickly without the cooler and without it. Done the same thing with the RAM, no beep codes :/

Bring it over today/tomorrow/when you're free. We both know how many computers have lived/died around me. *takes our surgeon gloves*

But I don't want it to die around you ;p

But you already think it's dead~

And besides, none of your technology has ever entered and died. (That wasn't already dead like a certain GPU)

edit: and at the low cost of FREE

Actually I think the GPU was fine but the RAM was defective. Re: RAM RMA.

But it's ok because I like my GTX 770. Even if it is humongous. >.>

@Berrod: :3 if you use reddit you might also like /r/pcbuildforme. You can also put in price ranges.

@Berrod, bodybuilding is hard, but PC building is easy. 

Bribes work great for PCs. 

If you have a price range, I'm pretty sure we have enough people here that could get you optimal parts for a build. (And computer building is like playing with LEGO blocks. ...most things only go in one way)

If you have a price range, I'm pretty sure we have enough people here that could get you optimal parts for a build. (And computer building is like playing with LEGO blocks. ...most things only go in one way)

Okay so now I have a relevant post to add to this thread, since my prior post was complete and utter garbage.

Sorry for a threadsteal Kage--I'll leave you alone soon I promise. >.>

What's one of the better places to put in price ranges? I have an allergic reaction to reddit...so I wasn't sure if there were other places that provide that sort of thing or not.

Okay I'm going away now I'M SORRY I'M USING THIS THREAD! *zip*

Oh, well knowing where the parts go is easy! My problem occurs when the tiny sparkly machine tidbits are too tiny and delicate for my massive hairless-gorilla hands. Handling tiny parts is just not my area of expertise, I might as well be punching it. It takes an hour of sobbing, preparation and pep talks for me to even attempt to seat a stick of RAM. Ask me to put in a processor and I'll cry in the shower for days. I'm clumsy with it and I don't trust myself. 

I was wondering if $1000.00 could get me something that could run DA:I properly and still give me pretty Final Fantasy-ing.

I'll just threaten the lives of my friend's family and pets offer my friend a meal in exchange for putting it all together. With his knobbly, thin and deft spiderfingers, he'll be able to get it done!

Okay so now I have a relevant post to add to this thread, since my prior post was complete and utter garbage.

Sorry for a threadsteal Kage--I'll leave you alone soon I promise. >.>

Okay I'm going away now I'M SORRY I'M USING THIS THREAD!  *zip*

Don't feel bad. Use it! WORK IT :< I like getting help but giving is just as great and I'm sure there are others who want it.

It wasn't total garbage, I wasn't very clear with what type of exp (or not) I have :3 It's still helpful.

I was wondering if $1000.00 could get me something that could run DA:I properly and still give me pretty Final Fantasy-ing.

You can make a decent machine surprisingly cheap if you get the components, yeah. It's been a while since I last put together one, though. Folks wanted to get me something as a college graduation gift and I ended up with an Alienware machine that's working just fine for me right now.

... Sliiiiiightly tempted to crack open the case at some point just to see where everything is so I can add more RAM and such if such things are needed at some point. :dodgy:

$1000 should be close. $1500 is the max you should need. Assuming you don't need to get a new monitor, keyboard, sound system.

Even then you might still get it at $1500.

I'd need to look at the specs for DA:I to confirm but I think $1000 will get you a decent once if you're doing a build. A Glorious Gaming Rig, I haven't kept up with prices.

Oh, well knowing where the parts go is easy! My problem occurs when the tiny sparkly machine tidbits are too tiny and delicate for my massive hairless-gorilla hands. Handling tiny parts is just not my area of expertise, I might as well be punching it. It takes an hour of sobbing, preparation and pep talks for me to even attempt to seat a stick of RAM. Ask me to put in a processor and I'll cry in the shower for days. I'm clumsy with it and I don't trust myself. 

I'll just threaten the lives of my friend's family and pets offer my friend a meal in exchange for putting it all together. With his knobbly, thin and deft spiderfingers, he'll be able to get it done!

What do you currently have as far as computes go? You might be able to get away with some modest upgrades.

What do you currently have as far as computes go? You might be able to get away with some modest upgrades.

Ah, I'm not looking to upgrade, want to buy anew, passing my old one to someone else, but keeping the peripherals.

1000$ will get you an amazing build. But if you just want to max out FFXIV and DA:I it's overkill. You could do that on 700$, maybe even less.

*quietly moves $300 to the clothing fund*

I'm not sure where the current prices are, but maybe I just want the thingnao, that sometimes the best deals will have to be waited on.

Depends on when you buy things, what you're content with etc.

I'm not even thinking about deals. 

Unless you do a lot of photo/video editing or working with development an i7 is wasting your money. In gaming it has severe diminishing returns over an i5. 

So yes you could spend more so you can have the very best, but in real world performance you will see single digit FPS improvement. The HT that an i7 provides is very unlikely to ever make a difference in gaming now that AMD runs the console world.