Character Wounds: Every Scar, a Story

Dat Oni

Do you often give your characters bodily scars or other injuries?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Do you often give your characters bodily scars or other injuries?

• Yes
    • No

Tana's body is covered in scars. she has over a hundred on her back from battling a small army of bandits and she nearly died. She has one right across her nose from a spear while she was trying to become a Dragoon and another on her cheek from training to be a Warrior.

Her stomach had a claw mark from a bear in the arena she fought and there is a large cut going down her her whole front, from her right shoulder to her left hip by a Paladin that betrayed her.

I normally imagine that a world full of magical healing would often have a corresponding amount of chances for scarring to be reduces under all but the most extreme circumstances. 

That being said M'sato has a number of scars from either times when magical healing wasn't available or when the damage was so severe he had to walk away  permanently marked up. 

My alt, Solomon, honestly hasn't had a whole lot of deep friendships where he would've revealed how he's earned some of his damage, but given Sol's personality that could be a while.

...I need to stop roleplaying characters who are so damned hard to get to know.

• 1 month later...

There are a lot of scars on my Lala, though none of them are particularly serious or easy to see without being pretty close. In Bajiquan, a common exercise is striking trees with some pliability with your forearms repeatedly to build strength. The fictional style Virara trains in has similar exercises, though the strikes are harder and usually against more robust trees. It wasn't unusual for Virara to literally chop the tree down after a long day of training; her house's grove was full of new saplings and old stumps. As a result, her forearms are covered with faint scratches, along with her fists, which are calloused from general training.

Along with this, she has some scarring from being punished or beaten by her Master, mostly on the back, and some older, more faint scars from her survival years. After a certain point this became less common. Her heterochromia is actually the result of getting slugged in the face by her Master during training; one of her eyes is always slightly dilated, so it appears to be a different color from a distance. This doesn't have a huge effect on her vision, which is fortunate for her, but it's still there.

Erik's body has the requisite scars of a soldier. There are a few notable ones, namely one on his left forearm and one over his right eye. The one on his arm was placed on purpose by an old enemy and is shaped like a viper. The one over his eye was given to him by his best friend during a bout of madness. The attack that scared his eye also caused him to lose the eye. So in a way the eye is a "scar" as well as it is a lifelike construct created by a culmination of alchemic research and goldsmith skill.

Wow, I was actually talking to friends about scars last night. <_<

So IRL I'm a paramedic, so I tend to take IC injury pretty realistically - and when it comes to scarring, most injuries Sounsyy sustains that weren't treated with excessive magical healing have left some sort of mark depending on the injury. However, most of the time, Sounsyy is fully clothed and covered so I sometimes forget scars should actually be there. >< But now that Sounsyy has been um more revealing I've had to get a bit more descriptive.

In relation to your Sin thread:

-Violently bludgeoned a man to death (who deserved it).

Sounsyy's first (chronologically) and only readily visible scar is a gash on her left cheek from her very first pit match on the Bloodsands as a Noxius when she was fifteen. Sounsyy's opponent disarmed her of her spear and clocked her across the face with it, splitting open that cheek. Sounsyy retaliated by caving in the man's skull with his pauldron that had been ripped free earlier in the fight.

Sounsyy was gravely injured in the Battle of Carteneau five years ago when she was struck (indirectly) by a Reaper cannon. The bones in her left forearm were broken in multiple places (creating an open ulnar fracture when she applied pressure to her arm) as well as several broken ribs, a broken clavicle, as well as partial and full-thickness burns across her left arm, shoulder, and back. The open fracture in her arm left scarring and if someone were to run their hand down her left arm, they could probably feel where her arm had been broken. The burns left patches of blanched skin across her body, which are fairly obvious even with Sounsyy's fair skin tone. This is why Sounsyy almost always wears long sleeves and rarely reveals her skin.

More recently, during Sounsyy's participation in the Grindstone she's gained two new scars. The first is a diagonal gash extending vertically downward from her navel, giving her belly button a really weird, deformed shape. She got that one from being gutted in the stomach by Makyn a few weeks back. The second is a 2-ilm diameter puncture wound appearing on both sides of her right shoulder, just below her clavicle, where she was pierced with a spear. Because of body positioning, the spear didn't exit cleanly and has torn the muscles in her shoulder, resulting in Sounsyy having her sword arm in a sling for a while until I deem her recovered.

No other scars yet! ^^ But I feel like it's only a matter of time the longer Sounsyy participates in the Grindstone.

I'll add mine

1 - Scar underneath his left eye. This scar Askier recieved from Jana during my first event ever, She smashed Askier's eye with the corner of her book and while the eye did heal eventually, it left a small scar beneath, and an awesome running gag for the rest of the event rps lol.

2 - Scar on the left half of his gut. Askier got this from when he fell off a chocobo onto a bottle of whiskey and it broke, slicing him up. Speaking of slicing...

3 - 60 percent of his body from the waiste down is covered in scars of various sorts. Askier was capture by the character, The Crimson Mountian, and tortured mercilessly with lots of various tools including getting partially flayed...was a darrrrrrrrk rp session.

4 - Has an arrow scar in his chest from when KAhn'a Od'hilkas shot him with an arrow....asshole :P

5 - Has two bullet hole scars in his gut from his encounters with Adin Adonis and Jin'li Epinoch.

Makyn has had very few scars (due to him not being in the field toooo long). His most recent are from Grindstone. One on his left shoulder, where a knife pierced and stuck in his arm. One across the side of his neck after Mamluk cut off the strap that held his helmet on. While it wasn't too deep, it was forgotten in the rush to keep Mamluk from dying after Makyn stabbed him in the last fight.

Others included are several on his arms and legs, as well as a slash to his chest.

More will come soon as injuries heal, he was attacked on the road, leaving him with newer slashes, and while he took a potion, it didn't fully heal everything.

I tend to view that while magic and potions may be applied, it will generally always leave a scar. xD