Final Fantasy X(box)IV

I hate reporting on third party stuff because it feels unclean and it burns us unsubstantiated but I thought this was interesting.

Apparently the recent livestream took great pains to emphasize a certain controller.

At the very beginning of the livestream Yoshida-san picked up a controller, and held it up rather explicitly in front of the camera. What’s most peculiar is that the controller was an Xbox One controller.

Yoshida-san didn’t really make any mention of the identity of the controller, just saying that as soon as he picked up the pad, the credit roll of the game started running on the PC screen in front of him.

Interestingly, the controller wasn’t even used during the stream. Yoshida-san explained that he thought he wouldn’t be able to reharse beforehand due to a scheduled maintenance, so the team prepared backup videos instead of live gameplay.

On top of that, the camera zoomed right on the controller as Yoshida waved it around. As a matter of fact, it never zoomed as close during the whole livestream as it did on the Xbox One controller.

Wonder if we'll find out prior to Heavensward?

FFXIV has proven to be very successful since the relaunch so it wouldn't surprise me if ends up being released on the Xbox One as well. I just hope it doesn't lead to slower or smaller content updates but the developers have been consistent so far so I don't have any reason to doubt their capabilities.

FFXIV has proven to be very successful since the relaunch so it wouldn't surprise me if ends up being released on the Xbox One as well. I just hope it doesn't lead to slower or smaller content updates but the developers have been consistent so far so I don't have any reason to doubt their capabilities.

I remember XI coming out on the 360 and Microsoft having a teensy loophole that SE took advantage of. If memory serves, XI is to-date the only Xbox360 game playable online without a Gold Subscription. I recall hearing MS not being very happy about that.

It'll be interesting to see another game where Xbox/Playstation owners can play with one another.

I remember XI coming out on the 360 and Microsoft having a teensy loophole that SE took advantage of. If memory serves, XI is to-date the only Xbox360 game playable online without a Gold Subscription. I recall hearing MS not being very happy about that.

It'll be interesting to see another game where Xbox/Playstation owners can play with one another.

I know that Phantasy Star Universe could also be played without a Gold Subscription. Which would lead me to believe that any game that had it's own sub could bypass the Xbox Live requirement?

Either way though, this is great news, assuming that Sony and Microsoft get along enough to allow people to play together from the consoles. Not that it would happen, but could you imagine the uproar if Square said, "Hey guys, so...PC players are only going to be able to play with Xbox players now, and PlayStation is getting it's own servers."?

God, I think I'd die laughing at that announcement. Then cry.

I know that Phantasy Star Universe could also be played without a Gold Subscription. Which would lead me to believe that any game that had it's own sub could bypass the Xbox Live requirement?

Either way though, this is great news, assuming that Sony and Microsoft get along enough to allow people to play together from the consoles. Not that it would happen, but could you imagine the uproar if Square said, "Hey guys, so...PC players are only going to be able to play with Xbox players now, and PlayStation is getting it's own servers."?

God, I think I'd die laughing at that announcement. Then cry.

Good point. I forgot all about PSU, for obvious reasons. Those reasons: It was a terribly, unfun grindy MMO that wishes it could be PSO.

If Xbox does get on board, it's far more likely that they'd get their own servers. Which would be both interesting and hilarious for the folks involved.

With the recent DDoS attacks on PSN, SE has made of point of saying that PSN is only used to initially log in to your SE account. Once you're in game, you're no longer using PSN at all. That's why when PSN does go down, you don't get booted from the game, you just can't log back in if you log out/close the app.

• 1 year later...

Necro bump with a smidge of details:

According to this link here, Microsoft stated they'd love to see it happen.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn is available on PS4, PS3, Windows and Mac, with Xbox One left out for the moment, but today Xbox Division Head Phil Spencer mentioned on Twitter that he’d love to see the game appear on his console.

@Alunmufc That would be great, we’d love to have FF14 on Xbox One.

— Phil Spencer (@XboxP3) March 14, 2016

During our interview at Gamescom 2014, Producer and Director Naoki Yoshida told us that Square Enix was ready to port the game for Xbox One as soon as Microsoft allowed its players to play on cross-platform servers.

In a more recent interview, at Gamescom 2015, Yoshida-san explained that Square Enix was still in negotiations with Microsoft on that front, but while cross-platform gameplay was possible between Xbox One and PC, supporting cross-platform with PlayStation consoles was still a concern. At the time the publisher also did not know how widespread Windows 10 would become.

Today Microsoft announced that Xbox Live will now enable cross-network play with other platforms and console, effectively opening the door to a possible port of Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn.

Considering that Windows 10 seems to be getting quite popular, maybe it’s time for Microsoft and Square Enix to have another chat, if they didn’t already. After all, with MMORPGs, the “the more the merrier” rule always applies.

• 2 weeks later...