Feng Shui, the Eorzean Way

Gegenji

The Screenshot Thread has often had people post screens of their character's homes and Free Company private rooms. After Kage posted hers, I joked that we should have a thread for just that purpose. A thread for showing off - and requesting critique on or help with - decorating your character's pad. The more I thought about it, the better of an idea it sounded... so here we are.

I mean, a lot of folks already check out the rooms of their company mates when they want an idea. Plus, you really can't see WHAT certain furniture looks like until you're already bought and tried to place it... unless someone already is using the piece in question! So, the more rooms you can see, the better, right?

Plus, it's a neat place to show off all the alternate locales people have made with their various rooms - from war rooms to med bays to laboratories! You can even give little spiels on why you went with what you did! It could be great fun.

I'll start, of course, with my own. I only have my little Free Company room, and it's still missing a few key things, but I really love how it's coming together. What do you think?

EAqMvK7.jpg

HwYTe1v.jpg

3thFxZZ.jpg

Kuq2Hci.jpg

2DXajdD.jpg

I currently jokingly call my FC room the "Mullet Metalworks" - because it's business in the front, party in the back. Basically I wanted the front half or so of his room to be his workshop, where he does his smithing and does all the important "adult" things. Meanwhile, the back is his space... where he's free to be the little dork he is.

As for what's missing? I want to replace the Tonberry table with the new kotatsu, get an ARM smithy to get that full workshop feel, and replace the flooring with the new tatami floor. The original plan was using tatami mats where the rugs are now, but the new floor basically solves that issue AND frees up four more item spaces.

So, do you think we have room for an interior design thread?

Welcome to Mirke's Menagerie, also known as my Private Room. Knock once for bedroom access! Currently working on getting my large mansion though in the Mist, called The Roehmerl. Please look forward to it! Cuz I sure am!

xl7KSMD.png

AxFldOu.png

3EItiGQ.png

WVdLWYz.png

xLZHuEp.png

Your rooms are so pretty! I wish I could show off my little closet, but I'm between houses right now D:

I know the feeling. Coral is planning to upgrade to a larger manor come Heavensward... so I'm been REALLY iffy on trying to the get the tatami flooring and the ARM forge (since you can't pick them up again once placed). The fact that the tatami floor cost in the millions to pick up on the AH at advent helped keep me from making an impulse purchase too. :blush:

Your rooms are so pretty! I wish I could show off my little closet, but I'm between houses right now D:

I know the feeling. Coral is planning to upgrade to a larger manor come Heavensward... so I'm been REALLY iffy on trying to the get the tatami flooring and the ARM forge (since you can't pick them up again once placed). The fact that the tatami floor cost in the millions to pick up on the AH at advent helped keep me from making an impulse purchase too. :blush:

If you actually just purchase the mats, it costs less than 300k. I've gotten three of the Tatami flooring and have spent at least 900k total for all three.

Also if you need the rug version of tatami, I have 3 spares if you want any.

Was there confirmation that housings of large plots will get bigger with larger furnishing slots?

If you actually just purchase the mats, it costs less than 300k. I've gotten three of the Tatami flooring and have spent at least 900k total for all three.

Yeah, that got recommended to me too. I just don't have a solid gil source with Chachan yet (not high enough rep for sealants, still working on leveling the crafting classes), so I'm not exactly swimming in cash. I'm basically trying to build up a, well, buffer for when the house expansion hits. Gonna need 300k to re-buy the room, and roughly around another 500k or so to replace the BSM table and get the ARM forge depending on their prices at the time.

It's good to know how much the mats cost, though. I can work that into my total amount of gil to have squirreled away for the expansion. Though, hopefully by that point getting a million gil or so shouldn't be as much of a problem as it is for me right now. :blush:

Also if you need the rug version of tatami, I have 3 spares if you want any.

Actually, that's what I was going to place those rugs in the front half of Chachan's room with initially. The tatami flooring just sort of... superseded that by allowing me to have that flooring for the whole room and save myself four slots for more knicknacks.

I'm still curious, though, do the tatami "rugs" take up the same amount of space as the Oasis carpets? Or are their dimensions different?

Yeah, that got recommended to me too. I just don't have a solid gil source with Chachan yet (not high enough rep for sealants, still working on leveling the crafting classes), so I'm not exactly swimming in cash. I'm basically trying to build up a, well, buffer for when the house expansion hits. Gonna need 300k to re-buy the room, and roughly around another 500k or so to replace the BSM table and get the ARM forge depending on their prices at the time.

It's good to know how much the mats cost, though. I can work that into my total amount of gil to have squirreled away for the expansion. Though, hopefully by that point getting a million gil or so shouldn't be as much of a problem as it is for me right now. :blush:

Oh, so I guess it's not 100% confirmed whether the expansion will upgrade the house furnishing slots or sizes of personal room yet :/ unless they expect us to buy a whole new plot. (I wish they wouldnt make us buy the plot again).

As for the straws, by around mid 2.5, it'll go lower.

Tatami Mat for pre-2.4 was 800k-3.8 m gil then it dropped to 300k-800k. Now it's less than 300k for most part.

Actually, that's what I was going to place those rugs in the front half of Chachan's room with initially. The tatami flooring just sort of... superseded that by allowing me to have that flooring for the whole room and save myself four slots for more knicknacks.

I'm still curious, though, do the tatami "rugs" take up the same amount of space as the Oasis carpets? Or are their dimensions different?

The dimension is quite bigger than Oasis Carpet. It's as wide as the Glade bathtub in terms of dimension. However, rather than having multiple tatami mats, flooring is best option should anyone go for real Japanese esque type of floorings. It's just waste of furnishing slots.

The dimension is quite bigger than Oasis Carpet. It's as wide as the Glade bathtub in terms of dimension. However, rather than having multiple tatami mats, flooring is best option should anyone go for real Japanese esque type of floorings. It's just waste of furnishing slots.

That's pretty spacious, yeah. Sounds like I would only need three to replace the four Oasis Carpets I have now. But you're right, I do want to have a more Doman feel to the place as a whole (what with getting the sliding door, wall scroll, bonsai tree, open hearth, and eventually kotatsu...) so having the whole floor be tatami seems the right way to go.

I'm sure his bedroom would look just as cutesy without the faux grass carpet, anyway. Keeping the sheep rug though, it's just adorbs. Plus it was a gift from Jancis because she's super sweet and awesome like that.

That's pretty spacious, yeah. Sounds like I would only need three to replace the four Oasis Carpets I have now. But you're right, I do want to have a more Doman feel to the place as a whole (what with getting the sliding door, wall scroll, bonsai tree, open hearth, and eventually kotatsu...) so having the whole floor be tatami seems the right way to go.

I'm sure his bedroom would look just as cutesy without the faux grass carpet, anyway. Keeping the sheep rug though, it's just adorbs. Plus it was a gift from Jancis because she's super sweet and awesome like that.

If you ever do need to know how the flooring might look, feel free to check out my FC house (Mist Ward 7 Plot 5) - and in Mizuho's room. It has all of the new Doman/Japanese style of furnishings so you might get some ideas. (Including the Oriental bathtubs too).

If you ever do need to know how the flooring might look, feel free to check out my FC house (Mist Ward 7 Plot 5) - and in Mizuho's room. It has all of the new Doman/Japanese style of furnishings so you might get some ideas. (Including the Oriental bathtubs too).

You should post some screenshots here, too! It's what the thread is for, after all! Show off your Doman sense of style~ :thumbsup:

You should post some screenshots here, too! It's what the thread is for, after all! Show off your Doman sense of style~ :thumbsup:

I'll see what I can do tonight, I am currently not at home to take any screenshots - but yes you are right. :)

MUuG5Jp.png

40/50 items

Think I could get rid of come of my candles and a few other items. I'd really like to have partitions or a thicker treeline. Any recommendations? :D

What have you been growing in there!? You played Jumanji too much @@

I think tree lines seem more convincing to make it uber jungle in this case.

MUuG5Jp.png

40/50 items

Think I could get rid of come of my candles and a few other items. I'd really like to have partitions or a thicker treeline. Any recommendations? :D

Wild... (I regret nothing)

Um... as for suggestions? Yeah, adding more plants and maybe even the plant partitions might work well to divide up the place without losing the wild feel? Heck, if you can find enough plants, you can make a pseudo partition with them, I think.

I actually think the candelabra you have in the center there is a bit jarring, actually. Are there any tribal-looking wall sconces or something that you could use instead? I'd use them sparingly, though, maybe one at the far wall to draw you towards it...

There's something to be said about maintaining a sort of dim gloom to a wild-looking room like that.

I recently redid my room in my FC's house. In-character it's like a small apartment Shoshopu and her Roegadyn friend Fyrilsunn share...

0aNmCnO.png

EOdVCR0.png

E0TC9gR.png

Ux8rCy9.png

GwBqJJO.png

MFGrPCU.png

WJU6lzc.png

RSd67WO.png

I'd like to think it's easy to guess whose room is whose even if you don't know the characters very well.

I recently redid my room in my FC's house. In-character it's like a small apartment Shoshopu and her Roegadyn friend Fyrilsunn share...

Ah, neat! I take it you have partitions set in place to give them both their separate bedrooms?

Ah, neat! I take it you have partitions set in place to give them both their separate bedrooms?

Yep! The layout altogether takes five partitions.  (pictures are inside that spoiler tag that's there? that SHOULD be there anyway idk if it's broken now I'm paranoid)

The old version of the room took seven, but that's because the room was divided 50/50 perpendicular to the door and I had to use two partitions' width to hide the middle window against the back of the room?

That's probably hard to visualize so here's a link to a tumblr post I made about it whenever I'd first bought the room. I loved the 'living room' space in the front, but each of their rooms was pretty cramped... and it didn't feel very private since you could see into both rooms as soon as you walked in (ostensibly there were doors, but you had to use your imagination)

This new layout has a hallway that wraps around the front and right side of the whole chamber, and then the remaining 70%ish of the room is divided between the two of them.

This new layout has a hallway that wraps around the front and right side of the whole chamber, and then the remaining 70%ish of the room is divided between the two of them.

Haha, Chachan's room started similarly! I had the place completely split in half - workshop in front and bedroom in back. I even originally just used the tonberry mini-partitions to split everything up. It... looked almost playground-ish, which was fine for the back but the front needed some sprucing up.

Enter some actual partitions, and then not wanting to have my Maelstrom fan clipping through the walls resulted in positioning them in the way they are now. Not wanting to waste all those tonberry mini-partitions I had purchased led to the faux "tonberry print" angle for the walls in the bedroom and the remnant division around the bathtub.

A layout based off me not wanting to waste my purchases. Sounds almost stingy, huh? :lol:

You know. I wonder how many folks actually used existing real world references for their rooms. I mean, you could probably easily get a floor plan for a house or apartment and tease some ideas out of that. Might need to scale down some due to the size of personal rooms... but it still sounds feasible.