Nugger Style

Kurt S.

I wanted to make my own art on account of being too poor to afford any commissions. So I went and bought a tablet and screw around.

The first of many and hopefully the simplest I'll ever go in terms of art. I did my best....

hROEm1z.png

Because Kurt deserves better, having gone through WoD and he isn't amused at my attempt.

Made using PT Sai and a wacom tablet. I need to learn how to face better.

frabz-you-trusted-me-and-I-failed-you-021048.jpg

But I will get better....or make him richer.

Hey now. I've made every single Mii I've ever created use similar dots-for-eyes. Simplicity isn't a synonym for uninspired or bad. It's reminiscent of early comics or newspaper strips.

I guess you're right. I actually realized that he looks like some guy from a comic strip on newspaper a little after...even the way I didn't completely coat his hair in black.

In any case this'll be the first step on the road to creating the nugger style art. That faes will have more detail soon. 

The jaw probably needs work and the chin could stand to be less likely to be used as a makeshift lancer weapon xD

Simplicity isn't a synonym for uninspired or bad.

This right here. Something I forget often.

I honestly love that drawing you posted. It's simple, true, but it has character. And even if it was just one image (which hopefully will change soon ), it's a nice representation of the tone of your RP and character. which reminds me--she's not Kat anymore? nope not a stalker nope

So yeah! Continue what you're doing and please don't call it "shitty" anymore thank you.

'how to draw ___' guides are great if you're just starting out. it's always good to have and develop your own style but i've found a lot of really good guides on deviantart ranging from figure study pointers (cartoons are just simplified versions of a "life" subject after all) to coring techniques that work with photoshop and sai (love sai btw, i use it for my lines)

i will say its good to draw BIG that why when you zoom out; it looks crisper/neater on lines/coloring. just a suggestion for when you try your hand at more complex shading and coloring. i tend to use a canvas size of about 1800x2000 pixles at a 1200res for example. keeping the res high will keep the overall details/quality when you scale down the finished project.

edit: excuse the garbled typing, my phone hates this site. >.>

also...can i has a headshot if you're up for drawing one? i do like the current style but wanted to share what i've found helpful too :3

Great that you're learning to draw!

I know this gets said a lot to people who want to learn; and it sure as hell ain't easy to really understand...

But it is actually very important to learn the fundamentals/basics. The reason for that mostly, is that if you can draw a realistic version of a person, you can definitely play around with their features far more intuitively than you can if you're trying to "copy" something that is already stylized.

Copying or lending ways to draw noses, eyes or cars is totally legitimate - But when you do that kind of stuff, repeating from memory afterwards is a great way to find out how you would interpret it.

I have been actively drawing for a year and a half, where I did a year of drawing every day, and I still have miles and miles left to go.. But once you get the routine of doing a lot of drawing, and practicing different things, you can get quite far :)

(Also supporting the advice for canvas size. I generally work on A4/B4 sized paper and draw to publish at 25% size. Gives you a lot more flexibility with detailing and resizing.)

Great that you're learning to draw!

I know this gets said a lot to people who want to learn; and it sure as hell ain't easy to really understand...

But it is actually very important to learn the fundamentals/basics. The reason for that mostly, is that if you can draw a realistic version of a person, you can definitely play around with their features far more intuitively than you can if you're trying to "copy" something that is already stylized.

Copying or lending ways to draw noses, eyes or cars is totally legitimate - But when you do that kind of stuff, repeating from memory afterwards is a great way to find out how you would interpret it.

I have been actively drawing for a year and a half, where I did a year of drawing every day, and I still have miles and miles left to go.. But once you get the routine of doing a lot of drawing, and practicing different things, you can get quite far :)

(Also supporting the advice for canvas size. I generally work on A4/B4 sized paper and draw to publish at 25% size. Gives you a lot more flexibility with detailing and resizing.)

Okay thanks for the insight and advice but I'd really like know what you mean by basics? #justnoobthings

EDIT

If you could also point out what I did wrong/what I could improve on and how, I'd be grateful. With regards to the Ramona one at least. I'm aware that there is something wrong with the shape of her neck and possibly the length of it. No she's not Elezen xD

Hey! "The Basics" tend to refer to things like; Line, value, shape, perspective and proportion.

Basically how you draw your lines and control of them, value(Very important in painting etc.), shape; important to show objects in 3d, Perspective; just generally important.

And proportion, which comes into play a lot with drawing people or animals and the like - We often see immediately if proportions in the face for instance are wrong.

Some of the things people do to practice these things are things like Life drawing, Gesture drawing etc. (In a sense it sort of is as simple as drawing a heck of a lot, but focused studies help)

Warning: This may not make sense.

4bDXSn9.jpg

This is me hastily scribbling to try to figure out your perspective and proportion as it is right now. I think your head is a little large in the original sketch; or the hair is just suuuper big, and honestly I'm not sure about the eyes, I made an attempt though!

Thought I'd add the second quick doodle to kind of show how I tend to eye-ball it, these kinds of anatomy Rule-of-thumbs exist all over the net, generally the rule of halves works pretty well for figuring it out, but isn't always true.  (Just realised as I'm looking at it that I messed up the height of the head on the lower doodle, but I have a very rough style when I block out proportion and stuff, sorry)

Welp at least that reference is helping me.

I've been trying to fix it according to your model, a hundred fifty seven thousand times before I give up on fixing her! Somehow though, whenever I compare it to the one reference you made its always wrong on some shape or level or form. 

Still a hundred fifty seven million times before I give up!

An interim piece I hastily did a few minutes ago, mainly cuz I felt like crying at lack of even slight improvements to Ramomo.

gLn1QuV.png

Makes me realize how much I need to really dig into dicking around with a tablet and SAI

Now back to throwing myself at fixing Ramona, TAKE 24!

• 2 weeks later...

Yet again I shall flailingly try to help a little.

Firstly I think your eyes are placed a little high. Optimally most eyes are at roughly half the heads height, can vary and I think I remember the "correct" proportions being just below half, but not 100% sure on that.

I also think you are positioning the eyes a little wrong based on the direction of the head? - This depends on my understanding of your position though, as I tried to scribble at the bottom of the picture I'll attach, you can have that sideways pose both upwards and downwards and It would change positioning of eyes a bit.

You've got the rule 'o thumb I usually use for ears down, so I'll hand you that! They're roughly in line with eyes, you're also trying to accentuate eye socket/skull shape on which is nice.

Your chin at the moment kind of throws off your mouth/nose positioning. The chin looks to be far more in profile, and would probably have to be pulled back a little. (the mouth would possibly disappear slightly like I've tried to indicate)

Nose is too long, really. But again that ties into having the eyes too high and effectively killing any forehead the character would have. Some people have rather short noses, others can have longer ones.

The thing is that all these features can be changed slightly and it'll still look good, as long as it's all consistent.

I really reccomend trying to study a little just to study. It's tempting to try to draw "good art" from the beginning, and that has a lot of value too - But learning how to construct and "work out" how to place things in a specific position is really valuable.

- Adding to that, use reference often. I am terrible at it myself, but it is imperative to use reference to build up a mental library of reference.

6xVrUr2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

8gvm8fe.png

Just gotta keep throwing myself at it again and again and again until either my hand agrees with what my brain wants or I give up in a fiery blaze of defeat....Thing is, I was never taught how to give up. I'd learn how to give up but...Nah. ((Oh dear lord stop me from messing around with Nah's name.))

It's not the prettiest or THE MOST ANATOMICALLY CORRECT EVER!!!!!11 but weirdly enough, the approach that's helped me the best is to think about the actual composition of the skull underneath my drawings...I'll literally draw one out sometimes in the relative position I want the face and then layer over it with the facial features just because it feels more...accurate and three-dimensional to me.

CeatXUE.gif

Well I'll take any and every bit of help, miss archer, because I'm blind as bat flying into this drawing business. Yeah I know, I should check references and all that but that still doesn't change the fact that I'm still as blind as a bat even with that info. Also because my hand hates my brain for some reason....>.> <.< ^.^ v.v

my first fanart W H O A

Well it'll continue until I can churn out something half as good as everyone else's too... buut I still have to work on Adeya's request and Cliodhna's too.....and anyone else really xD

Hope I didn't disappoint you too hard xD

EDIT: Hey does anyone know where I can find the levecounter for the DRW DoH class? Huehuehuehuehuehuehue.

Also any and every bit of feedback would be nice!

UVl5b06.png

Tried to draw Effie, not sure if I captured this little kneeshanker's cocksure personality. And I quote, "OZY, I'M TALLER THAN YOU DON'T FORGET THAT!" and I also quote "ROEGADYN SAYS SHE CAN TAKE ME ON, LEMME AT EM, I'LL SHANK THEIR KNEES!" and also "TOSS ME INTO THE FIGHT DAMN YOU!"

UVl5b06.png

Tried to draw Effie, not sure if I captured this little kneeshanker's cocksure personality. And I quote, "OZY, I'M TALLER THAN YOU DON'T FORGET THAT!"

IT'S SO CUTE

AAAHHH

Be still my heart. No... no need to belittle the lalas more than I already have.

UVl5b06.png

Tried to draw Effie, not sure if I captured this little kneeshanker's cocksure personality. And I quote, "OZY, I'M TALLER THAN YOU DON'T FORGET THAT!"

IT'S SO CUTE

AAAHHH

Be still my heart. No... no need to belittle the lalas more than I already have.

I made her as a joke...too bad not enough people find her entertaining enough to RP with or she'd probably be trying to prove herself over and over again. Prove to herself that her size isn't a hindrance nor is it...blah what's it matter. Now if I could only find a custom-made tunic to complete the upperbody, and so help me god, not butcher it.