Event Hosting - Some questions

E'irawen

Well, ever since I made Ophelia's teahouse using my private room, I've always intended to have a sort of grand opening event to help sort of get it out there and stuff, but never had the time or chance to. Since then, I don't think anyone has still used it (despite it being in my personal room for the sake of having a physical location, it is technically located in Limsa).

So... I wasn't sure how to go about it, I guess. Mostly, I mean, I asked for opinions around the FFXIV RP community on tumblr and the general consensus I got was "have something to do instead of just leaving people to sit around and talk and fend for themselves" kind of thing.

So, I thought about maybe getting performers if they wanted to do that or something. I thought about a minion giveaway too (nothing super special I think, the prices have shot up considerably since I last tried to plan this).

So I was hoping anyone else could give ideas. I'm not sure what else to include or do. I have -never- run an event before either.

Thank you for your time.

Well, ever since I made Ophelia's teahouse using my private room, I've always intended to have a sort of grand opening event to help sort of get it out there and stuff, but never had the time or chance to. Since then, I don't think anyone has still used it (despite it being in my personal room for the sake of having a physical location, it is technically located in Limsa).

So... I wasn't sure how to go about it, I guess. Mostly, I mean, I asked for opinions around the FFXIV RP community on tumblr and the general consensus I got was "have something to do instead of just leaving people to sit around and talk and fend for themselves" kind of thing.

So, I thought about maybe getting performers if they wanted to do that or something. I thought about a minion giveaway too (nothing super special I think, the prices have shot up considerably since I last tried to plan this).

So I was hoping anyone else could give ideas. I'm not sure what else to include or do. I have -never- run an event before either.

Thank you for your time.

Running an event can be tricky, especially ones that are centered around hanging out. I know the Harbingers have pretty effective tavern night, and the few that I've been able to attend were basically just groups of folks hanging out at the bar.

From the sounds of it, you want your Tea House to be a sort of RP spot, yes? Sometimes it's as easy as just putting a notice up saying "Open! This Saturday: Romantic tea and chocolates in time for Valentione's day!" and letting people show up. Maybe put up a thread in the event section asking if anyone would be interested in attending and letting it go from there?

One of the things that I really, really enjoyed from Jancis' monthly events is that she always finds really nice playlists on Youtube to help keep ambiance for the group and allow everyone to sort of chill out and listen to music.

I would offer to come and do fortune telling at a table in the corner?

Also how about some themed meetings?

• Health checkups, for what worries you
  • The Aether and you, a health regime that attunes you with the energy of the world to face each day  (think tie chi)
  • What is your colour palate, fashion advice on what colours you should look for in clothing
  • Lonely hearts club

Wow thank you! So happy about the music (fun tidbits is for many events Vaughn has provided the music in more than one way and also the man behind Warren has appeared at all but one pilgrimage so he'd know).

I actually always play music to myself at events to help me focus, especially when they get larger, and to help.

GnJp_s7ow7A

I agree with your tumblr people that it really helps to have direction for an event so either the performances like you said, a general theme to follow and activities or people available to help drive that theme. Give everyone a topic to follow, to bring ideas into, and staged people (semi-NPC) to interact with.

I think the bribery sort of works but isn't always necessary. Go big prize for big show typically; if its under 50k I'm not sure it'll draw anyone.

So for a tea room just going to throw things wildly at the wall and see what sticks. :blush:

Tasting parties: 

From trying magic/aether-infused teas to see a wonderment with your mouth to special performances of merriment that are off the wall and the limits of the imagination, a spectacle of magic show and taste. Okay that one is wacky...

Food and tea from the different corners of Eorzea with matching entertainment! A taste of the culture and daily treats from the Shroud, or Sagolii desert, or the frozen reaches of Coerthas.

Nameday Celebrations: Pretty straight forward, providing food and making everyone embarrassed yet adored with toasts in their honor, singing, fireworks, and special guests. It's really easy when one person is the theme to talk about and talk to.

Go with the Season: Treats people crave at the time of year. Cold = Hot Tea, Hot = Iced Tea

Okay this is actually a dumb idea I was talking about in FC Mumble just yesterday because one of our members will host amazing slumber parties in her room (Hail Meli) that for twist to have a pretty princess tea party. Everyone dresses up in bright frilly dresses/suits (it has to be bright!) and tiaras/crowns - then the idea is to gossip and flaunt and preen and share embarrassing stories about people who aren't there, or something.

So beyond giving some direction and providing the environment people will fill in the rest. They're amazing like that and more creative than I ever imagined. :blush:

I don't really have anything to say about hosting events, but I do have something to say about Ophelia's Tea House!  Its such a cute spot, and I have used it quite a few times ^_^

I forget where its supposed to be, but I always use it as an Ul'dahn tea house setting.  The only problem I have is looking up where it is every time I want to use it! 

Thank you for having it in your private room, it really has been a nice setting for some fun RP for me :-]

Wow okay so multi-quote won't work for me for some reason, so here goes.

@Aya: Technically the IC location is Aleport :D  The FC I'm in just happens to have their house in the Goblet. I'm really happy you like the spot!

@Jancis: I like the idea of providing a playlist. How do you do about performances though? I always figure performers (if needed) just link their video references to their song in an ((OOC Post)) kind of thing. So I guess everyone would just pause their playlist or something, yeah?

Also, I like the idea of the tea-tastings. She actually does provide on her menu, you can order any of her teas (or other drinks) and request additions in the form of potion, mana potion, or even infuse the teas with fruity flavors or alcohol.  I do want to do holidays and namedays, but haven't quite yet. I figured the grand opening event should probably come first (I was hoping to get it done before Valentoines, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to or not. Unless I do the grand opening /on/ Valentoines, haha.)  A Valentine's event in my head was similar to your tea party suggestion. Everyone coming in their best and most frilly gear. I bought several (4) of the tea sets to add to the room, along with a couple dishes to have on the tables for good looks haha.

But I mean anyone is more than welcome to rent out the teahouse for something if they like (for IC gil, not real gil. I know not all RPers have that kind of income)

Maybe a blind date night event? Or like Nebbs suggested, a "Lonely Hearts Night." I know a lot of people OOCly have a hard time meeting other people. So a singles night could be super fun.

I thought of doing a minion giveaway, and I wanted to do one of the fancier ones, but to be honest I have no idea which ones people like, haha. I thought about the little bear, maybe. I know there are several people who, at least gameplay wise, don't get a chance to get some of the minions, even if they are kinda cheap. Though I'm not sure how to work a pet giveaway in IC-ly, lol.

I like a lot of the suggestions as future events, but I do wonder just about what to do during a normal, un-themed event.  Performances is the only thing to come to mind. Maybe a drinking game or something if I can think of one (I like to avoid Kings Game though, it seems to be the go-to game and most people sort of die off and don't want to play it after a turn or two).

If it helps or provides any extra information, here is the wiki pages (main info + menu) for the place.

https://wiki.ffxiv-roleplayers.com/pages/Ballad%27s_Rest_Inn_%26_Teahouse

Menu: https://wiki.ffxiv-roleplayers.com/pages/Ballad%27s_Rest_Inn_%26_Teahouse_Menu

@Aya: Technically the IC location is Aleport :D  The FC I'm in just happens to have their house in the Goblet. I'm really happy you like the spot!

I pretend its in Ul'dah, because Aya goes to teahouses there all the time, and would never even find herself in Aleport :-X

I hope that's alright!  Whatever you do with it, I just want you to know that its been an appreciated spot :-] 

Everyone I've taken there is always like, "What a great idea! Its so cute!"

I pretend its in Ul'dah, because Aya goes to teahouses there all the time, and would never even find herself in Aleport :-X

I hope that's alright!  Whatever you do with it, I just want you to know that its been an appreciated spot :-] 

Everyone I've taken there is always like, "What a great idea! Its so cute!"

I dont' really mind it, no. :D Feel free, if no one is in there. But if I do have events or something or other people are using it as it's actual location, that's gonna take IC precedence. That's all!

Others have already given most of the important advice, but I'll chime in... Events are all mostly networking and advertising, and the RPC is a great tool for both! Give-aways and contests are great incentive for people to come, and performers can provide some extra entertainment. If you post up a wanted ad here, it's pretty easy to find IC dancers, musicians, and poets who'd love to perform and give people something to do other than chat (as well as give them something to chat about). :D Having IC waiters and staff is also really nice and helps attendees feel involved. As has been mentioned, Valentine's day is coming up and romance and holidays are always great themes to get people involved, and fit well with the whole cafe/restaurant thing!

@Jancis: I like the idea of providing a playlist. How do you do about performances though? I always figure performers (if needed) just link their video references to their song in an ((OOC Post)) kind of thing. So I guess everyone would just pause their playlist or something, yeah?

Pretty much, there's no right or wrong to it. And if people there don't want to listen to it, they don't.

From what little I've done the performer will write a bit IC of how the music is there to give it description and then after that give the link in an OOC footnote. Usually it's just a background thing to the other stuff they talk about be it singing a song or reciting a story.

It's pretty free form and completely up to them.

Examples: 

Vaughn Antain removes the stylized mahogany lapharp from his side, tuning it a moment while looking to Jaques with a smile before plucking it's strings. (( Music Link ))

Jancis Milburga looks up into the lofts of the tower, drums starting to sound. As Jancis holds up the hand-bell to signal the ceremony over, a chorus of Halone faithful sing, echoing through the stonework and across the snowy land outside. ((Music Link))

Hope that helps. ((Also don't over think it. Like Faye said just giving people an opportunity to come to one place and giving them a simple topic to interact with is really enough.))

Make a menu for your tea house. That will help with the immersion but it will also give people an idea of what order. It is just more fun to have a menu for a restaurant type events. I would also recommend having servers, as that helps with the immersion as well. It also gives more role players to interact with. These two things are very simple but they will make your tea house feel more like an event and less like a gathering spot.

Make a menu for your tea house. That will help with the immersion but it will also give people an idea of what order. It is just more fun to have a menu for a restaurant type events. I would also recommend having servers, as that helps with the immersion as well. It also gives more role players to interact with. These two things are very simple but they will make your tea house feel more like an event and less like a gathering spot.

I'm gonna post a thread, I think, looking for some IC servers. I think that'd be fun. Already done the menu though :)  That's been up for a while.

https://wiki.ffxiv-roleplayers.com/pages/Ballad%27s_Rest_Inn_%26_Teahouse_Menu