Theorycraft Time: Nanamo Crowned at 5 years is not the youngest

In the wake of the Nanamo minion someone noticed something strange with the flavor-text.

The minion was first made right after the Calamity, when Nanamo was 15 approaching 16. It celebrated her 10 year anniversary of being crowned.

She was crowned when she was -5- in year 1562.

And according to Fern she's also not even the youngest to be crowned.

So a few things:

A) What exactly happened to the previous sultan(a)? According to this timeline

The Garlean flagship Agrias invades Mor Dhona and does battle with the dragons. The Guardian of the Lake Midgarsormr appears and destroys the Agrias and the Garlean fleet. The battle is called Battle of Silvertear Skies

•The Primals are released with the Ceruleum explosion caused by the impact of the Agrias and Midgarsormr colliding with the Silvertear Lake.

•Echo awakens in mass.

•Mor Dhona's landscape begins to change in the resulting explosion and aetherial disturbances.

•The City-state Main Scenarios Echo begin as we enter the world of Eorzea with our characters.

•Beastmen are exiled from Ul'dah out of fear of being targeted by Garleans.

•The Bozja Citadel is destroyed in an experiment to bring down the lesser moon Dalamud.

•The Bozja Citadel incident causes Cid and other engineers to leave for the City States or Eorzea.

My money is on a Primal having killed the Sultan(a?)

B) I wonder who acted as these crowned youngins' regents/advisors?

B) I wonder who acted as these crowned youngins' regents/advisors?

Considering the hierarchy of Ul'dah, I would guess the Council would have a heavy hand here. If they didn't serve as regents/advisers outright, they would most likely control the flow of things until the young sultan(a) was of age to start putting their own input in on matters.

If not the Council themselves serving as regents, I could assume other powerful figures might hold sway in their place. Relatives, for example. Uncle Larg may hold the seat of power until the child is old enough to take back the reins (or is replaced by a adopted sister by Goltana and inciting a war and completing my FFT reference).

Heck, maybe the Sultansworn has a hand in it? I mean, they're her royal guard, so folks like Papashan might also serve as adviser to a young Sultan(a).

...shortly after the Calamity, Sultana Nanamo Ul Namo banished High Priest Mumuepo from the Order of Nald'thal and replaced him with the five Coco brothers...

Perhaps somehow involved?

He got banished (the straw anyway) because he didn't do squat to help Nanamo that night as Dalamud fell in helping the people of Ul'dah. Cocobros of the guild did.

/quietly saves link because reasons.

I'm gonna have to say not Primals, if former Sultan Sasabaru Ul (Nanamo's father) died in 1562. According to Havak Alvak of the Mythril Eye, the first recorded summoning of Ifrit wasn't until 1564 of the Sixth Astral Era. Can read Havak Alvak's article "Ifrit Rising" for yourself. Basically it says the first recorded summoning of Ifrit took place in the bottom of a (now abandoned) Mythril Pit T-3.

While we haven't really seen any mention of a Regent or regency in place for young rulers of Ul'dah, there might be some overlooked evidence of their existence in one of the old 1.0 quests, "There Might Be Blood," which details the rise of Raubahn Aldynn from Coliseum gladiator to Syndicate member. This cutscene occurs in the Year 1570, so bear in mind that Nanamo Ul Namo would have been 13 or 14.

There Might Be Blood

Now, if you can tear your eyes away from Raubahn being badass for a few seconds, look @1:16 of the video. We see the teenage Nanamo racing into the hypogeum with an elderly looking Elezen, named Marcechamp, hot on her heels, followed by what appears to be three Brass Blades. Marcechamp stumbles, and the guards immediately rush to his side to see if he's okay, instead of pursuing Nanamo.

So... could Marcechamp have been Nanamo's Regent? We know for certain he's not on the Syndicate, and he most certainly seems to be acting in a guardian capacity for the young ruler. I'd say the pieces fit.

As for how Sasabaru died? I've got no clue, and there's likely no lore on the topic either. Sultan Sasabaru himself is only mentioned in a few scant references:

Loyal Pleco

This variety of striped freshwater fish earns its name from its tendency to gather by the legs of any man or beast who enters its habitat. Ul'dahns, on the other hand, will oft refer to the selfsame fish as the "royal pleco," claiming that it received its name when a merchant presented the former sultan Sasabaru one at his coronation.

And of course, the most famous incident between Sasabaru and Rycharde Mistbeard (aka Eynzahr Slafyrsyn, Grand Storm Marshal of the Maelstrom and Merlwyb's first mate), which occurred in the Year 1556 6AE. Mistbeard and his crew crashed Sasabaru's royal wedding and made off with 50 pure-bred black chocobo skins, 400 gold ingots, a 10-ponz Meracydian diamond, coins minted in the Allagan Empire, several ships from the port of Ul'dah, and the maidenhood of Sasabaru's bride. Rumors since emerged that Nanamo bears a striking resemblance to the famed pirate king. /cough. Can read all about that event here and here. While some of the facts may be largely exaggerated, in the 2.0 Lv30 Alchemy Quest "Baleful Brews" W'bulea confirms Mistbeard's famous heist, did in fact occur.

/jokingly made reply for now

So... did Nanamo's mom make it out ok with a Roe taking her maidenhood? ;p

I just figured that there would be -something- to mention why he'd die and Nanamo be crowned. Primals made the fit. Maybe the Amalj'aa?

I thought he was like the nanny but it makes more sense now. I didn't remember the Brass Blades going to him until I watched it and you mentioned it.

...shortly after the Calamity, Sultana Nanamo Ul Namo banished High Priest Mumuepo from the Order of Nald'thal and replaced him with the five Coco brothers...

Perhaps somehow involved?

He got banished (the straw anyway) because he didn't do squat to help Nanamo that night as Dalamud fell in helping the people of Ul'dah. Cocobros of the guild did.

Just a quick note on this, if you do the Delivery Moogle quests you actually learn that Mumuepo wasn't banished but thrown in prison for embezzlement and forced to fight in Halatali (he's the last boss for those who didn't notice). He basically went insane and almost bankrupt the Guild spending crazy amounts of money on things like gilded tomes.

Also my FC leader made that timeline, cool to see it's still in use and relevant.

Maybe the Amalj'aa?

Amalj'aa actually could be a thing. Prior to the Battle of Silvertear skies, the Amalj'aa and Ul'dahns had peaceful relations. The beastmen even lived in the city-state. It wasn't until (after the fall of the Agrius) the Garleans began dropping propaganda on the Eorzean city-states that relations soured. We don't have an exact timeframe of when this started, but sometime after the XIVth Legion failed to take Mor Dhona, they began using their airships to drop linkpearls on the city-state spewing propaganda messages like: Join us and live! The Beastmen are a blight that should be eradicated! Eikons will destroy the planet! Worshipers of false gods will perish!

It was around this time that Ul'dah banished the Amalj'aa from the city-state, seeking to distance themselves from being seen as "beastmen sympathizers" to the Garleans, should they invade. At least, that's how the story was told in 1.0. It could be possible that in protest of being thrown out the Amalj'aa rioted? I think if the Sultan died in the ensuing chaos that would probably put a permanent black mark on Ul'dahn-Amalj'aa relations?

But Sasabaru could have just as easily died to old age, a health problem, or Syndicate assassination. We have no lore to substantiate any theories, yet. =/