LOREMASTERS, Help me confirm Au Ra/Othard Lore! (Contains WHM/DRK Job Spoilers!

I was pretty sure I heard/read somewhere that Othard was under Garlean control, I went digging through SE’s lore forums, but all I could really find was this single thread which gave the info down below. I was hoping some of our resident loremasters (::LIGHTS UP THE SOUNSYY SIGNAL!:: ) could help confirm/deny stuff so that I can sort out my Xaela alt's backstory better.

Right now I have it that he fled with the rest of his clan from the Garleans, but if Othard isn't actually under Garlean control, I have to think of something else. :V I'm also super curious how badly Au Ra were treated by NPC Eorzeans because that would be a neat thing to add in for flavour.

Regarding Othard and Garlean Control:

“Y'shtola’s teacher in Dravania actually specifically stated that The City State of Sharlyon was abandoned shortly after Garlemald had “Brought all of Othard to heel”. So that to me seems to suggest that the entire continent was conquered and all who didn’t bow were outright destroyed.

So yes I’d say all of Othard is under their control. We know they burned the entire nation of Doma to the ground for simply attempting to rebel. So it seem that Othard is under absolute control of the Garlean empire.”

Yeah Sidurgu essentially said that the ishgardian knights told him and his parents they got to pick how/which order they die. Until bat- I mean his dark knight master saved him, Sigurgu pretty much said when they fled the empire Ishgard saw dravanians and we all know what ishgard does to anything which they think is related to a dragon.

Eorzea Mistreatment of Au Ra:

“For the post 50 White Mage quests, you meet a female Xaela Au Ra who’s causing the Twelveswood to be in danger with her experiments because she wants revenge on the people who treated her and her people badly (ridiculed, physically attacked, etc). She doesn’t say why they were attacked other than possibly because of what her people were. I wouldn’t be surprised if her backstory also intertwines with the Au Ra history you learn in the Dark Knight quests. “

“Once you ping DRK 58 and do the quest, Sidurgu tells you that he came to Ishgard as a boy and his parents were executed in front of him and he was saved by his and Fray’s master at the last moment (leading him down the path of the Dark Knight). Pending further information at 60 (which I’m still a level away from), nothing about how or why they came to Ishgard has been detailed.”

“if i recall my friend who was doing the dark knight quest told me that meny
Auri who fled to ishgard were killed on sight, due to there appearance,
however the au ra dark knight and WOL may have a special reason for being kept alive (such as your allowance from house fortomp) but to mix that with the gridania white mage listed above, it seems the Au Ra were not welcomed into eorzea as people think, it seems they were slaughtered solely on looks.”

Posted this on Tumblr, but I'll repost here.

Alphinaud confirms that Othard is under imperial rule way back when the Domans first land at Vesper. The quest is “Still Waters” from Through the Maelstrom, Patch 2.2. There’s no collection of dialogue available online, so you’ll have to take a peek at the following video. Skip to approximately 21:25 and watch from there.

[video=youtube]

The exact quote from Alphie is as follows:

"You are late. Not matter - I know where our visitors are headed. From what I have been able to gather, this vessel belongs to a band of Domans who seek an audience with the sultana. You are familiar with Doma, yes? In Othard? Well, like the rest of the nations of the eastern continent, it is ruled by the Garlean Empire. Given our visitor's unannounced arrival, as well as the state of their ship, I suspect they did not leave their homeland under the best circumstances."

Later on in the same video is Alphinaud's meeting with Yugiri and the Domans in the Quicksand, where Yugiri explains that the Domans tried to take advantage of the distraction caused by the Imperial succession war to overthrow their rulers. They failed miserably, and Doma was raised to the ground. Yugiri led the remnants of the nation to a coastal port, they seized a number of vessels (each holds approximately 200 people, iirc) and fled for Eorzea.

Hrm - sounds like it wasn't a recent thing though - that makes me wonder when the Garleans swept in and how it messed things up for the Xaela.

Unless maybe the Garleans *just* started stomping through Xaela areas after tackling the big nation-states?

SE, why u no clarify. ;A;

Hrm - sounds like it wasn't a recent thing though - that makes me wonder when the Garleans swept in and how it messed things up for the Xaela.

Unless maybe the Garleans *just* started stomping through Xaela areas after tackling the big nation-states?

If you recall the lore tidbit from The Great Gubal Library that features Garlean Naming Conventions (I assume you haven't reached this far in the MSQ yet, but I'm sure you've likely seen the screencaps), the Garlean Empire isn't older than six decades or so at most. Exactly when they finished conquering Othard, I'm not sure is ever specified (though I recall some mention of it somewhere in the MSQ, again from Alphinaud) but the length of their dominion over Othard is somewhere in that timeframe.

*turns up the Sounsyy signal to MAXIMUM BRIGHTNESS*

Holy crap, the Garleans move damn fast.

Also THANK YOU OSRIC, THIS HELPS SO MUCH ALREADY. ;A; I didn't pay attention at all when it came to Othard lore. ;_;

If you recall the lore tidbit from The Great Gubal Library that features Garlean Naming Conventions (I assume you haven't reached this far in the MSQ yet, but I'm sure you've likely seen the screencaps), the Garlean Empire isn't older than six decades or so at most. Exactly when they finished conquering Othard, I'm not sure is ever specified (though I recall some mention of it somewhere in the MSQ, again from Alphinaud) but the length of their dominion over Othard is somewhere in that timeframe.

Though, there are references of 'Pre Imperial' things in the game.

If it is indeed based on Rome, the Garlean nation was possibly around for hundreds of years as a republic or kingship until the first Emperor took power. Their conquests could have been going on slowly for centuries.

Though, there are references of 'Pre Imperial' things in the game.

If it is indeed based on Rome, the Garlean nation was possibly around for hundreds of years as a republic or kingship until the first Emperor took power. Their conquests could have been going on slowly for centuries.

Below is a snippet of lore about the first Garlean Emporer, Solus Zos Galvus, although, this is from the 1.0 lore website, which is dead now. :

Solus Zos Galvus, as inferred by the date of events in Final Fantasy XIV, was born in the year 1492 during the Sixth Astral Era. According to the official synopsis on the Final Fantasy XIV website, Solus Zos Galvus was born of a distinguished family in the then-small Garlemald Republic. He entered the army and, through repeated victories, rose to the rank of legatus and was instrumental in integrating Magitek into the Garlean military. After this, he transformed the Republic into a militaristic power, and with the support of the people he became a dictator-style ruler.

In the aftermath of his appointment, he conquered new territories, absorbing them into Garlemald. Solus then started an imperial regime, making himself Emperor of Garlemald. He is the main authority behind the Garlean Empire's attempted conquests of Eorzea, after Galvus saw his army badly damaged by attacks by the Primals during his campaigns in the eastern nations of Othard.

From the above, I don't think the Garleans were exactly trying to take control over other lands until after the dictatorship happened. Depending on their quality of life, it's even possible to speculate there are probably people who are old enough to have lived "before the Garlean Empire" who might be opposed to all the militaristic conquest.

38:02, same video, Yugiri:

"For many years, my nation, Doma, suffered under the yoke of imperial rule, and my people yearned to be free. Thus, when a war of succession broke out in Garlemald, we sought to take advantage of the chaos and reclaim our liberty.

Alas, our enemy proved less preoccupied than we had hoped, and our rebellion was put down in the most brutal fashion."

Relevant portion has been bolded.

EDIT: Rescinded my response to Nat, as Merc posted the relevant info.

I just did a whole collection of back lore from 1.0 for Phoenix Rose's Lore Forum, collecting all the information that was on the collector's edition disc from ARR release. Maybe this will help:

In darkness, the Crystal dreams as from the flames of destruction, a beginning rises. Come, brave heroes, heed the Crystal's call. Gather once more and witness a realm reborn.

[br]

The Sixth Umbral Era

The peoples of the Fifth Astral Era will be remembered for building their civilization on a foundation of magic, relentlessly tapping Hydaelyn of her lifeblood to indulge their decadence. The burden on the planet, however, would prove too great. Aetherial balance was lost, and the elements ran wild. At the urgent behest of a party of twelve shadowy figures history remembers only as the Archons, the nations agree to consolidate their remaining resources and form the Grand Companies of Eorzea in an attempt to forestall the coming apocalypse. But it was too little, too late. The damage done to Hydaelyn was irreversible, and the people could only wait and watch as their fates played out.

Rain fell from the skies for three score days and three score nights until all but the highest peaks were submerged in an endless sea. Whole cities were swallowed, entire populations lost. The Fifth Astral Era had come to a close, ushering in the darkness of the Sixth Umbral Era.

[br]

Rebuilding a Realm

(Year 1~400)

The scars left by the Sixth Umbral Era ran deep, instilling despair into the hears of the realm's survivors. Fearing that its continued use might further their woes, the art of magic was forbidden. Libraries housing ancient tomes were put to flame, while those who practices--or were rumored to practice--the art of spellcraft were hunted down and tried as criminals. Many a learned man met the same demise, as the masses had become so incensed they could no longer distinguish the difference between science and sorcery. With the majority of their greatest minds lost, the few remaining nations of the Fifth Astral Era crumbled and vanished, their peoples scattering about the realm to lay claim to what little resources remained. Driven by the primal urge to survive, tribes and clans banded together into small communities and began a centuries-long journey to rebuild their broken lives.

[br]

Rise of the City-states

(Year 400~1000)

Four hundred summers removed from the great deluge, Eorzea's population finally begins to experience a resurgance. Immigrants from islands beyond the Bloodbrine Sea, as well as the eastern continents of Othard and Ilsabard arrive in Aldenard in droves. Three great migratory waves of Hyur also inflict irreversible change in Eorzea's population distribution.

Racial tension hits its peak at this time, with individual races seen gravitating to certain city-states to escape persecution--the Elezen to Ishgard in the highlands of Coerthas; the Lalafell to Belah'dia in the deserts of Thanalan; and the Roegadyn to Limsa Lominsa on the island of Vylbrand. However, even this was not without its problem. It is only a matter of years before clan-based infighting between the Plainsfolk and Dunesfolk Lalafell result in the fall of of Belah'dia and its bifurcation into two new city-states, Ul'dah and Sil'dih.

500px-Thanalan_FFXIV_Art_1.jpg

Remains of Belah'dia

That is not to say, however, that the period was devoid of racial harmony. Their banishment from the Twelveswood by the spirits of the forest works to strengthen the bonds between the Hyur and Elezen living in the Black Shroud, ultimately leading to their joint establishment of the underground city of Gelmorra.

[br]

Tides of War

(Year 1000~1300)

For the next several hundred years, the city-states exhibit steady progress as they continue to grow and gain power. When they seek to expand their claim on surrounding lands, however, new complications arise. Territorial feuds betwixt neighbors lead to heightened tensions in the outlands. Indigenous beast tribes such as the kobolds and the Ixal, infuriated with those whom they perceive as invaders, begin to rise in defiance, despoiling the land in protest. Unable to put aside racial differences, Ul'dah and Sil'dih wage their petty war until neither side can remember why it was they fought at all.

As bloody battles break out across the realm, the balance of power begins to shift. Rivers run with blood while coin flows from the hands of the ambitious into the pockets of mercenaries and sellswords.

Ul'dah emerges as rulers of Thanalan after finally conquering their sister city-state and reducing it to rubble. The warring tribes of Gyr Arbania are at long last brought together by the Highland Hyur, and join to form the city-state of Ala Mhigo. Advancements in shipbuilding techniques strengthen Limsa Lominsa's dominion over the seas, while increased dealings with the lands beyond Eorzea transform the maritime city-state into a wealthy melting pot of cultures.

img_05.png

Ala Mhigo

After many long years of developing the art, the people of Gelmorra finally succeed in using conjury to achieve communion with the spirits of the Twelveswood, and convince the elementals to grant them residence in the forest. It is also at this time that the spirits, angered by the violent actions of the Ixal, send the tribe into exile beyond the Black Shroud's protective barrier--the Hedge. Free to emerge from tehir underground refuge, and rid of the troublesome Ixal, the people of Gelmorra establish a new city-state, Gridania.

[br]

The Calm Before the Storm

(Year 1300~1500)

Weary of fighting, the people seek to mend bonds that had grown torn and frayed over the centuries. Aggressive tactics are abandoned for diplomacy, and the inter-city-state commerce is restored. As technology and culture are shared, the nations experience prosperity unseen since the Fifth Astral Era. The city-states of Limsa Lominsa, Gridania, Ul'dah, Ishgard, Ala Mhigo, and Sharlayan have matured, and now become the focal points of Eorzean civilization. Peace, for once, finally prevailed in the land.

However, the opening of these doors eventually lead to the closing of others. Fearing their livelihood will be lost or altered by the influx of new people and ideas, independent craftsmen and warriors alike begin banding together to preserve their trades. They form guilds not only to safeguard their knowledge, but to provide themselves with the wherewithal to form business partnerships which will help assure their financial stability.

Unfortunately, where man tread, peace is never long to last. In an attempt to expand their influence into the Black Shroud, Ala Mhigo exploits the realm's illusion of security and launches a series of large-scale campaigns into Inolqa which will eventually lead to the onset of the Autumn War.

750px-Map_of_Eorzea.png

World Map

[br]

A New Threat

(Year 1500~1560)

What little magicks the Gridanians have perfected in the generations since their departure from Gelmorra are no match for the sheer martial might of the Ala Mhigan forces, and it appears the sylvan city-state will quickly fall to her invaders. However, in a move most unexpected, the city-states of Ishgard, Ul'dah, and Limsa Lominsa dispatch their armies to Gridania's aid, and just as quickly as the Autumn War began, so it was resolved. Borders are set and treaties are signed. City-states would remain independent, but the rise of one would not be tolerated. And thus peace once again settled over the realm.

Outside Aldenard, the flames of conquest were only beginning to rise. To the north, on the continent of Ilsabard, the Republic of Garlemald begins overwhelming nearby nations with their iron war machines, seizing their land and consuming their cultures. In the year 1552, the leader of the republic, Solus zos Galvus, declares Garlemald an empire and appoints himself emperor. The new imperial army, now swelling with the might of countless assimilated nations, methodically subjugates the eastern continent of Othard and the remaining lands of Ilsabard, welcoming those nations willing to bow to imperial rule, while erasing those which refuse the Garlean standard.

With two of the three great continents now under its control, the Garlean Empire sets its sights on Aldenard, and in the year 1557, sends the XIVth legion to conquer Ala Mhigo in the first step to bring Eorzea's people under imerial rule. The Garlean Empire renames the conquered city-state and the surrounding lands of Gyr Abania to the Ala Mhigan Territory.

News24687.jpg

The Ala Mhigan Territory

[br]

Waxing of the Seventh Moon

What exactly was the catalyst which triggered the end of the Sixth Astral Era? Was it the beast tries gaining the ability to summon the primals? Was it Nael van Darnus and his execution of the Meteor project? Or was the end begot of several factors? Historians may never be able to point to one sole event, but by the year 1560, the winds of change had already begun to stir.

[br]

Final-Fantasy-Xiv.jpg

Of course, there is more, chronicling the all the events of 1.0, but I think what you're looking for is in here.

Curse working full time. Ugh.

Your questions have been answered! But reconfirming, yes, Othard is mostly, if not completely, under Imperial rule and has been for a long time. Doma was, for an incredibly long time, an Imperial Territory until Doma's ninja's rebelled, were betrayed, and slaughtered. To set an example for the rest of Othard, Garlemald razed Doma to the ground. Hence the sudden, recent, influx of Far Easterners to Eorzean shores.

EDIT: This article has been 100% lore approved by Fernehalwes and details the 1.0 lore and story behind the rise of the Garlean Empire and its eventual drive to take over Eorzea. The Seventh Umbral Era Is Almost Upon Us

The Garlean Empire controls the majority of the Three Great Continents' date=' the enormous landmass that encompasses Eorzea.[b'] Until some fifty years ago, Garlemald was a remote and sparsely populated nation which held little more than a fraction of the northern continent of Ilsabard.[/b] But with the arrival of a technological golden age and the concurrent emergence of a brilliant young legatus—now the reigning emperor—in the span of a single generation Garlemald established itself as one of the most formidable forces in all of Hydaelyn.

Garlemald is unsurpassed in the field of magitek, a technology which it exploits with devastating effectiveness in warfare. Unperturbed by their lesser numbers, the Garleans went forth upon gigantic flying warships, bearing powerful weaponry the likes of which the world had never seen. One nation after the next fell before their relentless onslaught, first those of the northlands, followed by the sovereign states of the eastern continent, Othard. Employing suppression and conciliation in equal measure, Garlemald indoctrinated the peoples it conquered, thus integrating them into its ever-expanding territory. So it was that the Garlean Empire came into existence.

In the year 1557 of the Sixth Astral Era, a mere thirty-six years from the Empire's founding, the Garleans brought their campaign of conquest to Eorzea, swiftly bringing the city-state of Ala Mhigo to its knees. Yet following the subjugation of Ala Mhigo, the Empire suddenly ceased its aggressive expansion.

For more than a decade, the continent of Aldenard knew relative peace. In the year 1572, however, the Garlean army once again began its inexorable advance. Using the calamitous arrival of the Seventh Umbral Era to sinister advantage, the Empire prepares to gather the lands of Eorzea into its steely embrace.

Born of distinguished lineage in the Garlemald Republic, Solus zos Galvus began his military career at a young age. After a string of impressive victories on the field of battle, however, he soon attained the rank of Legatus, and proceeded to integrate machina technology into the army's regular rank and file. With single-minded determination, Galvus transformed his fledgling nation into a formidable military power.

His actions garnered the undivided support of the citizenry, and catapulted him into the position of Dictator, supreme commander of Garlemald. In the years that followed, Garlean forces conquered all the lands of the north and hammered them into a single entity. Galvus then instituted an imperial regime to govern their new territories, conferring upon himself the title of "Emperor."

The eastern nations were the first to feel the newborn empire's mighty fist. It was during this campaign that the emperor witnessed firsthand the destruction wrought by the primals—an experience that led to an imperial mandate for their annihilation.

Now an old man of more than eighty winters, Galvus yet rules as emperor, but court rumors speak of frail health and frequent illness.

[[steps in as a mod]]

Small notes that this thread's about to have some splitting/cleaning done.

The topics is about Au Ra/Othard. Not whether Garlemad is Rome.

The posts pertaining to Garlemald's presence in Othard and the relation to the Roman Empire has been split to this thread.

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=12473&pid=197363

[[steps out]]

In regard to Garlean occupation of Doma, I doubt being occupied by them was a day to day struggle of violence with a boot on your neck, but I also doubt it's a wholly pleasant experience that you wouldn't seek to escape from.

Certainly there were Doman collaborators and rebels both, even if day to day life was calm. That's how I'm writing my Raen's experiences growing up in the occupation.

• 2 weeks later...

Whew, sorry for not responding sooner. I was traveling to be with family for health reasons. It seems like I missed a lot of discussion and the thread was split.

I think I'll jump in the newly created one because a lot of the conversation there falls in line with a lot of new shiny questions I now have. Thank you for the help folks! o/