Any Gundam Fans Here?

That long, huh. Oh well... Honestly, if it's coming out within a year, that is good enough for me. Provided it stays four episodes, anyway. It's a hell of a lot better than the Code Geass "Long OVAs with Theatrical Releases." Holy crap. Over a year and half from episode 2-3, not to mention the added wait for the Blu-ray release. Just... kill me. They weren't even that great... :frustrated:

At least it's not Rebuild of Evangelion. In November it'll be three years since the third movie came out with an average of 2.5 years between releases.

Yeah, I solved this easily by setting unrealistic expected release dates for the Rebuilds. I predicted 3.0 would come in 2018 and 4.0 in 2025, so there's still quite a bit of wiggle room for Anno to do... whatever it is he does anymore, at least as far as I'm concerned. So long as Shinji gets a happy ending...

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OT but I always thought that ending was "Congratulations."

I actually sort of avoided Rebuild because I was pretty happy with the TV series ending.

The Iron Blooded protagonist reminds me a lot of Garrod from X in design. I was a bit fond of him.

• 3 weeks later...

I know Seed Destiny was a pile of crap but...Seed itself. It seems the most controversial. I mean, I like it, but I feel like I'm not supposed to...

Like how Gundam Wing is popular among Westerners but is allegedly crap as well?!

As Nataru knows, I'm a hardcore Gundam fan. I've watched every series and have attempted to collect most manga serializations of Frozen Teardrop and the new GBF one that stars Tatsuya as the main character. Char is my waifu, his voice actor does the voice acting for JP Lahabrea, and thus that ascian also became my fave. I can't help but make tons of references to him in my RP. Hell, the Kharn Kick™ is heavily inspired by him from even the days of Orenji's father. My favorite MS is, of course, the Char's Zaku II.

When I was a kid, I watched this like... super SD cartoon that had Gundam dudes in it. No idea what it was called but I do remember:

1. that tennis ball thing HERRO HERRO GENKI

2. some sort of space station and I think some kind of carabet type deal?

3. a pee joke involving that Char's dude's name (shaaaaaaaaa)

4. probably at least one cross-dressing gundam robot thing

5. OH an ice skating competition

6. some lightning cloud robot getting decapitated and then having to fly people around with his head because I guess that's what he does????

and that's all I know about Gundam. :(

When I was a kid, I watched this like... super SD cartoon that had Gundam dudes in it. No idea what it was called but I do remember:

1. that tennis ball thing HERRO HERRO GENKI

2. some sort of space station and I think some kind of carabet type deal?

3. a pee joke involving that Char's dude's name (shaaaaaaaaa)

4. probably at least one cross-dressing gundam robot thing

5. OH an ice skating competition

6. some lightning cloud robot getting decapitated and then having to fly people around with his head because I guess that's what he does????

and that's all I know about Gundam. :(

That would be SD Gundam that you're referring to. It was on Toonami for a season or two and that was it but it was pretty popular to a point that it got several animated spinoffs and 2 major manga spinoffs, Musha Gundam and Knight Gundam.

So I was browsing around online when I noticed I could order some of the older kits from retailers that are still in the states. Found a website that has a GP03 Stamen in stock, I've always wanted to put one together. (No I will never assemble the flying brick known as the Orchis...)

Though right now I am working on a customized Gundam X (Using Gundam X Maoh as the frame, and swapping out parts as I go) and I discovered some really neat tricks to force parts to become compatible. Right now I am going to be giving it Wing Zero (HGAC from the tv series, not endless waltz) arms, and I figured out that if I take the ball-joint polycaps from another gundam, stick them on a peg and shave it down and insert it into the zero's arm socket, I can force a connection while still keeping everything compatible with old and new parts. I'm finally getting the hang of customizing, now it's moving on to paint once I get some pictures rolling out. Though right now have a picture of my gundam with his new weapons :3 

24lijo5.jpg

Alright, I need to get into Universal Century, clearly. What is the recommended 'viewing order' for the different shows? Obviously the original MGS is there, even if that animation looks offputting. I've already watched the 08th MS Team.

I recommend starting older then working your way up. MSG, Zeta, I don't recommend ZZ even though I liked it, I don't think other people would enjoy it, but hey if you wanna give it a shot go for it.

Move onto things like 0080 and 0083, these are really good and makes you wonder if the bad guys really are bad or not. Gundam has a neat way of making people on the other side seem more human than other anime series do, and it seems the most evil people are politicians or businessmen.

So in short.

Gundam 0079

Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam

0080 War in the Pocket

0083 Stardust Memory (Oh god please watch this, it's so entertaining despite being so short.)

Gundam F91 (I have not seen this one yet, so I'm not sure)

Crossbone Gundam (I have only seen a little bit of it.)

Char's Counterattack (Even though people say it's great, lower your expectations or characters like Quess Parya and Hathaway will ruin it for you.)

I personally would recommend viewing the UC stuff in chronological order. There's numerous references to events in later series as well a progression to why the plot moves the way it does. Additionally, technology (for the most part) progresses upon itself in a way that will seem odd if you miss something.

Sooo...

Mobile Suit Gundam

08th MS Team

Zeta Gundam

ZZ Gundam

Char's Counterattack

Gundam Unicorn

Gundam F91

Gundam Victory

That said, the major plot points would be:

Mobile Suit Gundam

Zeta Gundam

ZZ Gundam

Char's Counterattack

Gundam Unicorn

Everything post Unicorn is set enough years in the future that it could be considered a side story, though it's technically not. Crossbone Gundam, as mentioned before, follows F91... but to my knowledge it only exists in Manga form. Shame too because it's amazing. 08th MS Team and it's ilk are filler stories that mostly show different view points and fill in gaps in technological progression.

Just a reminder for all of you:

Hulu is going to be simulcasting MS Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans starting today! The first episode is already up for viewing! For those without Hulu, it'll be available on Daisuke and Crunchyroll starting next week! Iron-Blooded Orphans is a standalone series not taking place in any established timeline so it doesn't require any previous knowledge of the Gundam series, use it to get your friends into Gundam!

As a bonus, Hulu will also have the entire Reconguista in G series up for viewing starting today as well courtesy of Daisuke. While not a popular series, it's at least there to watch!

Hnghh, IDK, a fan but not a die-hard fan, I loved that. The gritty setting, aesthetic, music, and character design.

Can't wait to see more. This'll also be my first anime show I get to watch as it is broadcast, so this should be an interesting experience.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's My List of Gundam Series I've read and watched:

• Mobile Suit Gundam
  • Mobile Suit Gundam the Movie
  • Mobile Suit Gundam 8th MS Team
  • Mobile Suit Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket
  • Mobile Suit Gundam 0083 Stardust Memory
  • Mobile Suit Gundam Z
  • Mobile Suit Gundam Advanced Z Titans
  • Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ
  • Mobile Suit Gundam Beltorchika's Children
  • Mobile Suit Gundam Char's Counterattack
  • Mobile Suit Gundam UC
  • Mobile Suit Gundam Hathaway's Flash
  • Mobile Suit Gundam F90 Manga
  • Mobile Suit Gundam F91
  • Mobile Suit Gundam Crossbone
  • Mobile Suit Gundam Crossbone Skull Heart Series
  • Mobile Suit Gundam Victory
  • Mobile Suit Gundam G Recognista
  • New Mobile Report Gundam Wing - Episode Zero, Battle of Pacifism, G-UNIT, Glories of Losers, Frozen Teardrop, Endless Waltz
  • Mobile Fighter G Gundam
  • Mobile Suit Gundam X
  • Mobile Suit Turn A Gundam
  • Mobile Suit Gundam Seed, Destiny, Astray, Astray series
  • Mobile Suit Gundam 00, 2nd Season, A Wakening of the Trailblazer, 00F, 00P
  • Mobile Suit Gundam AGE (only few eps)
  • Gupla Fighters OVA
  • Gundam Build Fighters, Try, Amazing
  • Gundam Iron Blood Orphans (Currently)

What games I play/played related to Gundam:

• Super Robot Wars series
  • SD Gundam GGeneration F/Zero/Neo/Seed/Spirit/Wars/Overworld/World
  • Gundam vs Gundam Extreme Full Boost
  • Gundam Battle Operation
  • Journey to Jaburo, Encounter in Space, Federation VS Zeon
  • Gundam Battle Assault 1,2,3
  • Gundam 0081 Chronicles
  • Gundam 0079 UC Chronicles (Blue Destiny etc)

Hi. I am a crazy gundam fan :3

As a diehard UC fan, I personally am fan of Gundam Build Fighter series, and 00 series. I like some parts of Seed too. I'd have to say Iron Blood is by far the best intro episode I've seen so far. I hope they'll keep showing impressive plot progressions for 3rd ep and after.

I build plenty of Gunpla and I enjoy playing strategical Gundam related games. I can always discuss Gundam related stuff if needed~.

Bolded ones are my most favorite and recommended. 

(I saw lot in previous post who hate Build Fighters. Haters gonna hate :P)

Just watched episode 36 of MGS79...

Dozle Zabi! Fucking clambers out onto the exterior hull of his exploding mobile armor to just shoot at the Gundam with a cruddy assault rifle. That's badass! I love Gundam for those moments.

So that Gundam X Maoh I've been tinkering with has seriously gone through some changes.

It went from a stock X Maoh with just Kampfer weapons to

Head: Gundam X Maoh

Eyes: Wing Gundam Fenice

Arms: Gundam X Maoh

Torso: Fenice Rinascita

Legs: Build Burning Gundam

Weapons: Kampfer Amazing, GM Cardigan, Victory II Gundam, Wing Zero, Rinascita

I think what I'm going to do is keep the weapons interchangeable, make loadouts for it to play around with since I can't make up my mind.