Any Gundam Fans Here?

Never gotten into the Gunpla aspect (I bought a Unicorn Gundam Master Grade kit, opened it up, and then closed it and never looked at it again xD) but I love most of the UC Gundam stuff. Of course, the original Mobile Suit Gundam, Zeta Gundam was probably my favorite, then all the Char's Counterattack stuff. Unicorn Gundam, aside from the "space magic" ending, was awesome all the way through... and now they have the new OVA's coming out that are covering Char's history.

Gundam Wing was pretty good. I think that was my first Gundam anime like many others. I also watched Seed and 00, but was less impressed by them after having watched stuff like the original Gundam, War in the Pocket, 08th MS Team, and even Turn A Gundam (I found myself annoyed at several points in this series, but it all came together in the end).

So, yeah. I'd say I'm a pretty big Gundam fan.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What sells Gundam for me is the military sci-fi setting, so Build Fighters looked a lot like Beyblades or Yu-Gi-Oh! to me. 

However, Iron-Blooded Orphans looks closer to what I look for with Gundam.

Bf was kinda that exactly, but it also was the Just for Fun installment of the franchise. I liked it because it clearly something the staff enjoyed doing and the mythology gags are really on point

in particular the "heaven for all the dead UC couples" scenes in the theme park in that one episode was just this weird catharsis for all the fans who were scarred by Tominocide and other like installments.

Love me some Gundam. Have watched everything and an partial to Stardust Memory, Turn-A, Unicorn, and F91. Have read Crossbone as well and I really wish they'd adapt it into an anime series. Iron-Blooded Orphans looks like it might end up being fantastic as well, I can't wait for the Gundam Barbatos model kit to come out!

As for gunpla I currently own I've got metallic MGs of Nu Gundam and my personal favorite...Sinanju from Unicorn. It's been a while since I built one but I kinda wanna get back into it.

While Macross is and always will be my first mecha love, Gundam has a special place in my heart too. There are a lot of them I still need to see like Zeta/Double Zeta, 00, Seed, etc

-08TH MS Team: My favorite series hands down.

-G Gundam: I love it despite it being campy and OMG space racism (lol) but when you mix martial arts and mechs how can you go wrong?

-Wing: It was good but I don't think it was as great as everyone makes it out to be. However I definitely love the suit designs. Heavyarms/Epyon/Tallgeese being my favorites.

-0083: Another series I really enjoyed, mostly for the suits.

-0080: So good but SO depressing. At the time I saw it, probably the most heart stabbing thing I'd seen. Still really touching to this day.

Damn I wish Sunrise would go back to making real gendums instead of this Build Fighters nonsense. I'm not trying to knock it or anything but I miss the days when I could cry over shit like 08th MS Team and get all hype for Turn A and 00. Unicorn was quite good and I hope they return to that style of storytelling BUT... we'll see.

I hear if you eat Relena Peacecraft's eyebrows you can gain her powers. GN Flags are the sexiest grunt-tier mecha designs in all of Gundam and Tieria is mai waifu. 00 is my favorite Gundam followed closely by Turn A, with G Gundam as my least favorite, although I think objectively 08th MS Team is the "best" Gundam series. This is of course, discounting Seed and Seed Destiny, both of which were horrible mistakes that should be expelled forever from history.

Also:

qvh7A1X.jpg

I think the biggest thing that ruins Gundam shows honestly is a tossup between Tomino himself and side materials released later. Stuff like "Oh, G-Reco happens 500 years after Turn A". Something he said recently in an interview that he never mentioned to anyone ever, and none of his staff even had any clue...especially since all the print materials for gunpla and such said that Turn A was the end point of the UC timeline...I guess not any more! Or the 08th MS Team novels, where in the sake of being 'more realistic to war', Kiki Rosita is gangraped by Federation soldiers and kills herself by biting her tongue off. No thank you.

I think the biggest thing that ruins Gundam shows honestly is a tossup between Tomino himself and side materials released later. Stuff like "Oh, G-Reco happens 500 years after Turn A". Something he said recently in an interview that he never mentioned to anyone ever, and none of his staff even had any clue...especially since all the print materials for gunpla and such said that Turn A was the end point of the UC timeline...I guess not any more! Or the 08th MS Team novels, where in the sake of being 'more realistic to war', Kiki Rosita is gangraped by Federation soldiers and kills herself by biting her tongue off. No thank you.

Tomino is crazy and actively hates his fanbase, so you get an idea of why his work ends up so choppy and archaic. When properly motivated and still relevant, Tomino was great, as in Turn A, but I dunno. I haven't finished it yet but I find G-Reco a really uninspired work. I never liked Tomino's directing style, his clipped dialogue, his awkward "natural" vocal direction, his sudden, claustrophobic cuts in action sequences. His moments of randomness are hilarious and yet you're not really sure if he means for you to take them seriously. (The random fistfights, the toilet in G-Reco, the boxing episode in King Gainer, the pig zoom in Turn A.) I feel he's an immensely creative force and has a lot of useful points of view that still need to be expressed to newer generations. It's just his crotchety nature and bald-faced instability really sabotages his ability to reach anyone.

His old work was great but it's not aged well. It's still classic and worthy of watching, especially Turn A and Zeta, but I dunno. I think he's played out, honestly.

On an unrelated note, SEED is interesting in that I can perceive what they were trying to do with it. It's basically just OYW updated to a new setting and dolled up to bring in the same crowd that was fond of Wing when they were young. It removes some of the Tomino weirdness and tries to make it a more modern anime. I would not say it's one of the best installments of the franchise (And I particularly hate Hirai the character designer's artwork.), but it was at least average at worst.

Destiny was likewise an attempt to replicate Zeta's success and bring it to a new generation. Kira is Amuro, Shinn is Kamille. Full stop. The problem was when the director and writers attempted to divert from their unoriginal game plan and try to do something new. Something new and horrible. There's a thousand and one reasons why Destiny went wrong, but I still personally feel it is the franchise's lowest point by a huge margin.

Damn I wish Sunrise would go back to making real gendums instead of this Build Fighters nonsense. I'm not trying to knock it or anything but I miss the days when I could cry over shit like 08th MS Team and get all hype for Turn A and 00. Unicorn was quite good and I hope they return to that style of storytelling BUT... we'll see.

Have you seen MS Gundam The Origin: Blue-Eyed Casval? It uses the same art style to tell (as the name states) the origin story of everyone's favorite villain, Char Aznable. They're doing it as a series of OVAs to tell the background behind the original MS Gundam series and even retell some of the events from it, all in the same quality as Unicorn.

Also there's this weekly anime series coming out on October 4th as well (Iron-Blooded Orphans) done by Tatsuyuki Nagai: http://g-tekketsu.com/index.html

Have you seen MS Gundam The Origin: Blue-Eyed Casval? It uses the same art style to tell (as the name states) the origin story of everyone's favorite villain, Char Aznable. They're doing it as a series of OVAs to tell the background behind the original MS Gundam series and even retell some of the events from it, all in the same quality as Unicorn.

Also there's this weekly anime series coming out on October 4th as well (Iron-Blooded Orphans) done by Tatsuyuki Nagai: http://g-tekketsu.com/index.html

I knew about the new series coming out, which I am waiting for. Still hoping it will deliver, since I feel like Gundam's TV entries have been really lackluster for the past several years. At the very least the director of the new series has experience with "tugging at your heartstrings" moments so I am definitely looking forward to the emotional storytelling aspect of the new series (which is admittedly, a huge draw for me when it comes to Gundam).

I did not know the first OVA of Origin was already out though! My goodness that completely slipped my notice. Hopefully it will come out at a steady pace and not take four years like Unicorn did. Remember when Unicorn was announced at only going to have 3-4 episodes? Sigh...

I knew about the new series coming out, which I am waiting for. Still hoping it will deliver, since I feel like Gundam's TV entries have been really lackluster for the past several years. At the very least the director of the new series has experience with "tugging at your heartstrings" moments so I am definitely looking forward to the emotional storytelling aspect of the new series (which is admittedly, a huge draw for me when it comes to Gundam).

I did not know the first OVA of Origin was already out though! My goodness that completely slipped my notice. Hopefully it will come out at a steady pace and not take four years like Unicorn did. Remember when Unicorn was announced at only going to have 3-4 episodes? Sigh...

Yeah, AGE sure was underwhelming. I wouldn't mind a bit of that old Zeta feel.

Have some bad news for you, Edda...The first episode came out in February. The second doesn't come out until Halloween. More than six months between episodes bodes poorly for not having it drawn out..

Have some bad news for you, Edda...The first episode came out in February. The second doesn't come out until Halloween. More than six months between episodes bodes poorly for not having it drawn out..

That long, huh. Oh well... Honestly, if it's coming out within a year, that is good enough for me. Provided it stays four episodes, anyway. It's a hell of a lot better than the Code Geass "Long OVAs with Theatrical Releases." Holy crap. Over a year and half from episode 2-3, not to mention the added wait for the Blu-ray release. Just... kill me. They weren't even that great... :frustrated:

That long, huh. Oh well... Honestly, if it's coming out within a year, that is good enough for me. Provided it stays four episodes, anyway. It's a hell of a lot better than the Code Geass "Long OVAs with Theatrical Releases." Holy crap. Over a year and half from episode 2-3, not to mention the added wait for the Blu-ray release. Just... kill me. They weren't even that great... :frustrated:

Well...the Origin ep 2 theatrical release is on october, I should say. The 70-90 dollar bluray comes out a week later. Japanese bluray pricing is certainly...special. So that's another 8 1/2 months for ep 3, and then another for 4...so just over two years for Origin, provided it stays at 4.

That long' date=' huh. Oh well... Honestly, if it's coming out within a year, that is good enough for me. [b']Provided[/b] it stays four episodes, anyway. It's a hell of a lot better than the Code Geass "Long OVAs with Theatrical Releases." Holy crap. Over a year and half from episode 2-3, not to mention the added wait for the Blu-ray release. Just... kill me. They weren't even that great... :frustrated:

At least it's not Rebuild of Evangelion. In November it'll be three years since the third movie came out with an average of 2.5 years between releases.