Lore Question: War of the Magi

Hey folks. Quick lore question/theorycrafting debate.

Is it reasonable to assume Amdapor and Mhach would have had non-magical combatants at their disposal during the War of the Magi? Perhaps as second-class citizens or maybe something akin to lowborn conscripts that would serve and protect the higher-class White and Black Mages? Grunts wielding swords and spears and whatnot?

It's also entirely possible that in communities so magically advanced, they merely made the mundane special instead. Why not give people swords that catch on fire or spit Voidsent or something if you're already housing the most powerful wizards on either end of the spectrum?

I've always figured that they employed some form of the other's magic (black mages really have no way of healing, so why not learn some basic white magic to help that, or even some of that crazy stuff the Nym do, for example) so employing those with little to no magic skill to take some crazy magic to the face from the opposing sides wouldn't be a far stretch for me to say happened.

Nym famously employed marauders in their standing army besides just having scholars and fae.

All I discovered in our last round of adventures has aided in my growth. I became the marauder I am today thanks to my long study of Nymian tactics.

In that age of wonders more than fifteen hundred years ago' date=' when rival nations brought earth-shattering magicks to bear against one another, scholars were instrumental in ensuring the survival of Nym. Though they were far fewer in number [b']relative to the mariners[/b], it is clear that these mages formed the backbone of the Nymian military. One might describe their role as one which provides support, but that does not adequately describe their capabilities, as far as I am concerned. Powerful restorative and enhancing magicks, well, those were hardly unusual in that day and age.

The Mhachi animated mountains and rock formations, creating golems from the earth to use as footsoldiers in their armies.

Mage-controlled golems were in such wide use by the end of the Fifth Astral Era that entire battles were waged by armies comprised of nothing but the lifeless soulkin.

I'm sure Amdapor likely devised some manner of melee infantry as well. Perhaps also through animating inanimate objects and binding them to their will.

For many years' date=' modern archaeologists did not understand how a seemingly primitive civilization without clockwork or steam technology could build the massive stone structures of Amdapor. Animated bricks, such as the one that has chosen to follow you, may be the missing link.[/quote']

While Fifth Astral Era civilizations reached their zenith upon the backs of legendary magicks, it's very likely that these civilizations were made of more than just wizardly types. Scientists, historians, and other great thinkers were prevalent during this time period. Note the Miqo'te migrations from Meracydia into Eorzea also took place early in this era. This adds the potential for other martial professions such as archery. I do not see why other weapons and professions would not also be prevalent in this time period, even if these great nation's strengths and prosperity rested with the Magi.

I've always figured that they employed some form of the other's magic (black mages really have no way of healing, so why not learn some basic white magic to help that, or even some of that crazy stuff the Nym do, for example) so employing those with little to no magic skill to take some crazy magic to the face from the opposing sides wouldn't be a far stretch for me to say happened.

"Basic" White Magic is no easy feat to master.  It's possible, but I think to view it the way people view picking up Conjury (which is emphasized as being extremely easy to pick up) is probably inaccurate.

I do not see why other weapons and professions would not also be prevalent in this time period, even if these great nation's strengths and prosperity rested with the Magi.

Weapons are basically equalizers.  Someone else is bigger and stronger than you?  Okay, then you get a weapon that will allow you to hurt them without endangering yourself.  Even though magic is incredibly powerful and frightening, a well placed arrow might well be able to pierce the skull of an inattentive mage.  It makes sense that they'd have non-magical soldiers in their ranks (plus, those "mundanes" could likely be "boosted" via magical buffs!).

I would also think of it like this: just like any other civilization, yes, they were built on the principles and teachings of a certain group, but also like any other, they are a working thriving civilization that needs all the working parts of any normal society.  Surely this extends into combat, and not just the existence of traders, culinary artists, non-magical healers, entertainers, and on that last note, perhaps some combatants continued to practice their melee arts not only as tradition, but as a form of live entertainment, much like the martial arts of today.

So I certainly think it is safe to say that there were physical combatants still in use in those days, but I also think what you mentioned could have been possible.  A body-guard can also be practiced in stealth rather than being a physical menace meant to intimidate.  There is nothing more dangerous than an obvious threat being guarded by a secret one.  That is something to think on, but I would also take into account, there is no lore behind that idea, so it could be harder to make sense of it in the Eorzea of today, or maybe easier, who knows?