Claim your fighting game style!

Telluride

A little over a year ago, we had this thread, about turning your character into a fighting game character:

Your Character in a Fighting Game

But this time, let's reverse it - which fighting video game character's moves best personify your own FFXIV character's fighting style?

Monks have a lot to choose from, of course, but even armored knights occasionally get into bar brawls, or lay the smack down with fists. If yours doesn't, there are still plenty of fighting games out there in which blades and battleaxes get swung around. There are even bow-using characters and pistoliers in certain games, so you Bards and Machinists don't have to settle for fisticuffs. Choose your main weapon, or just embrace your inner street brawler and throw down outside the Quicksand, knuckle to knuckle.

Bonus for video clips - and feel free to help each other out, and I'm looking at you people with encyclopedic knowledge of fighting games. Side scrollers like Double Dragon and the like count, too!

Joke answer:

Z-ymh4aH9Do

Okay, maybe not so joke. I think Kirby or even King Dedede's style with the hammer would likely fit how how Chachan fights. They're obviously pretty powerful and can knock you around, but both characters really aren't trying to... you know, tear you apart. Unlike other hammer/axe users like Astaroth...

DiO1PuG4v4w

... Yeah, a little too brutal for what the little smith is going for.

First and foremost, Chachan is a pacifist - or at least a Technical Pacifist - and doesn't really want to hurt people more than needed. Breaking weapons and armor, disabling the opponent, that's what he'd go for. And there's not a lot of fighting games that let you do that.

Plus, I don't know any fighters that fight with both a hammer and a shield anyway, beyond possibly the Cleric from that old DnD side-scroller beat-em-up? I dunno. So, I'm definitely open to suggestions if there's something I'm missing. Until then, I'll just stick to Hammer Kirby.

Odette would make use of a duelist fighting style like Charlotte of Samurai Showdown, or Raphael in Soul Calibur, given she uses a rapier herself (Keeping her more sinister dagger use away from the public eye).

Whilst her greatest weapon is her charm, yet as far as combat would consider she is first and foremost a duelist, and a natural performer at that. The field is her stage, her footsteps a flourished yet carefully orchestrated dance only as flamboyant as practicality allows. It would be remiss not to mention the somewhat humiliating steps she puts would-be assailants through when able to talk them down, the slice of a belt here or the nick of a cheek there; yet never crossing that line of the inhuman.

A master of her blade, Odette's use of the rapier is one of few things she truly excels at; an ambidextrous wielder that fights first and foremost with her weaker should the situation be anything short of life and death. Over-confident and mirthfully entertained, this is the Odette that many witness in duels, brawls and the face to face of any enemy whom would publicly engage her.

[video=youtube]

Additionally, her moves would have a lot of flared sass... Not unlike this scene from The Mask of Zorro, except it would be she doing the kissing. A disorienting move, perhaps? She may or may not also leave you half clothed in the process.

[video=youtube]

Edgar would definitely have the fighting style of Patchouli Knowledge in Scarlet Weather Rhapsody. Book open, lazily floating about, completely unsatisfied with the fight itself, maybe even bored, yet dodging competently and firing off spell after spell. Maybe even swinging his tome at people when things get especially tiresome.

imHxm_vKFEA

That's a pretty tough question! The first thing I think of when connecting Arblis to Fighting Game stuff is:

- Super Armor

- Parries

But I don't think I know enough fighting games to find a good analogue between those traits and "5-foot Catgirl with a Greatsword"

I mean the first Super Armor + Parry character I can think of is Big Band from Skullgirls and uuuuh not quiiiite. >_>

While I could go find videos of Jana's individual unarmed/armed/magic fighting styles, when she puts it all together, it would come out looking like a Stand user: Her own punches and kicks, blows from her Egi, and the basic ACN spells used as projectiles.

Like Chachanji, Nathan is mostly a pacifist - he abhors violence if there's anyway to avoid it. That doesn't mean he's incapable, however. He has been a survivalist for a significant portion of his life, living alone and on the road, with only woodcraft, will, and wits to keep him alive. The man is actually a crack shot with his bow, Heartstring, but few of even his closest comrades have seen him use it, and he prefers it that way - the last thing he wants to be known for is killing. It's against every goal that he's set for himself, and he uses charm first in all situations.

Sure, it would be nice to compare him to Green Arrow, but Nathan, in a fight, prefers a sniper's role... or, at best, this...

[video=youtube]

But there is an exception. Break his lute, or simply BE an Ixal, or trap him like a rat, and find out that there is a black spot there, one he strives to keep held down. Push his berzerk button, and Nathan fights like a rat - a rat as tall as a Hyur can be, built not like a brute but very much like a basketball player, and with a cold, cold hate. He does in fact know how to brawl, and fights dirty. Nathan Telluride, should he ever lose control, will throw dirt in your face, spit on you, kick you repeatedly in the crotch, and do it with a detachment that might seem even evil. Honestly, if you're a hero-level combatant, he probably can't take you, but if he's ever that far gone, he simply doesn't care.

Best comparison might be Street Fighter's Cody. He doesn't look graceful, or acrobatic, or technical. He doesn't care. It's gonna end with him down, or the remains of a nose stuck in his boot.

[video=youtube]

Now, Magma Dancer... she doesn't like fighting, either. The grisly fate of her brothers in the Arena turned her against violence. However, before they died, they did teach their little sister - not so little really - enough of pugilism to protect her bar against thugs and most mercenaries. If she has to fight, she's rather direct about it, and is not above using her superior size against all but the bulkiest Highlanders and Roegadyn men.

[video=youtube]

EDIT - I could not resist adding this one. Mags would SO fight like this, probably in a similar outfit. She IS a barkeep and Lounge singer, after all!:

[video=youtube]

Hoo boy, here we go.

When I wrote the post in the prior thread, I thought I'd written up a character design that fused all the abusive elements of several overpowered characters. I've taken a second look at this, and while I've found that to be mostly true (By accident, I insist! ^_^') it also is very telling about how I like to play and how I think that playstyle can express elements of Virara's character. You can see how I thought about existing characters as I made my post, interlaced within the spoilered hypothetical crunch.

When I started out making IAQ (Imaginary FAQ) as a sort of proto-RP years ago, I had only just begun playing fighting games and I tended to load the movelist with all sorts of flashy projectile nonsense, because as a new player, that is what seemed powerful to me. Years and many games later, the characters I've played, never to a tournament level in my opinion, betray a very different sense of comfort than when I started out. I want to be careful, and plan ahead, but in reality I'm happier when my opponent is agonizing over what to do. I enjoy keeping them guessing. In less flattering terms, I guess you could say I lack the execution to do more complicated tactics, so I force my opponent to play at less than 100% through the use of pressure and guessing games. I actively enjoy the panic this inflicts on the people I play against... maybe I'm a sadist? :D

That being said, it's still a very gimmicky style of play. It's not unlike how a grappler functioned for years. For many popular fighting games, throw-reliant characters often tended to not do well in tournament settings, because they generally capitalize on mistakes, which by their nature pros make few of. In some series, grappers thrived because they had fight in them outside of throws, and were of comparable or faster speeds compared to the rest of the cast. (King of Fighters most easily comes to mind.) I found myself playing characters who were capable of forcing those situations rather than waiting to exploit them.

How does that relate to Virara's characterization? I see it as sort of a sign of how incomplete she is. She has the potential to be a strong fighter, but she relies heavily upon gimmicks and the unfamiliarity of her style. Aggressiveness unexpected from someone of her race and sheer boldness can bring her far, but not really far enough. She thrives when she can dictate the pace of the fight, and struggles when out of her element. This is true in daily life as well as battle. When properly executed, her style can leave her foe a living punching bag with no recourse. When improperly executed, she barely manages to escape with her life, let alone her ego intact. It is a calculating machine into which the opponent is inserted and victory is extracted, but one size doesn't fit all. There are literally hundreds of options, but her limited familiarity with each leaves gaps and holes in their utility; they are each good in their given situation, which Virara lacks the ability to force outside of simple martial deception. These are flaws which doubtlessly whoever trained her overcame over the years through practice.

That being said, it's still enough to make the opponent hurl their controller in frustration over and over again if they don't know what to do. Here are the characters I drew influence from. Unfortunately, I lack the technical polish to go deeper into their gameplay other than basic themes and strategy.

Makoto:

When I say "guess right once or twice," a few players might groan and reflexively rub their throat. Makoto's gameplay revolves around a command grab "Karakusa" which briefly chokes the opponent and leaves them helpless for a split second, allowing you to combo into other moves afterward. The key to using it is utilizing unpredictable mixups and her irregular mobility to get in close when your opponent doesn't expect it. Landing this throw essentially translates to free damage and stun, which Makoto offers in excess, so the mental pressure upon the opponent to guess how Makoto is going to approach is enormous. Selecting wrong can mean the end of the match. I shamelessly stole the grab-based gameplay from her, as well as a super that renders her unable to block but supercharges her offense. Though, it's not capable of something this ridiculous:

Kusanagi Kyo/Kanzuki Karin:

I really, really like "rekka" style characters. (Characters who have special moves that link into other special moves.) When the tree of chained special moves becomes enormous, that character becomes something like Angel in KOF 2001, who could create circular combos of special chained moves, but stopping just short of that level of complexity is Kyo Kusanagi and Kanzuki Karin. Kyo's style favors speed and aggression, whereas Karin's has a lot of inherent flexibility and lends itself to feeling like a "toolbox" where you can suddenly whip out any move useful for a given situation. However the limitation of having to preface the attack with another move limits its abusiveness. I enjoy how these characters play because these special moves give them a fluidity that allows them to continue an offensive without getting too predictable.

Gato:

(Here's a video of a sibling fistfight in crappy framerate because it's super hard to find decent footage of Garou on youtube, probably due to everyone emulating it.)

The epitome of asshole kung-fu guy, not only does Gato somewhat resemble Virara in how curmudgeonly he is, but his gameplay is incredibly fierce. Only managing to seem fair in comparison to the gratuitous brokenness that is Kevin from the same game, Gato has incredible offensive momentum and safe, cancellable moves. I didn't copy that exploitative-element, but Virara's stomps that not only give her rekka-style followups, but also elements of mobility, are inspired by Gato's. Likewise, she was intended to be capable of rushing an opponent into the corner and juggling them hard when they make a mistake, eventually stunning them or killing them. Notably a lot of Gato's moves resemble Xingyi or Bajiquan motions, so watching him, Karin and Miyako might give a good idea of what Virara's moves tend to look like. This game was a lot of fun, and it's sad to see it fall into obscurity. A sequel or two could have really done a lot to iron out the small kinks in Mark of the Wolves gameplay, because there was incredible potential there. I miss Fatal Fury...

Miyako:

My character of choice when playing this odd fighting game. I suck at it, but I enjoyed how aggressive this character is. She is a child, so obviously her reach is tiny, but being supernaturally empowered by various ridiculousness in the game's story, she is still a credible threat. In fact, in her Full Moon variant (Characters have multiple sets of moves to chose from similar to the ISMs in Street Fighter Alpha and EX versions in Capcom Vs SNK.) does some of the most ridiculous damage in the game. I feel that giving the character tiny reach really does something to the mindset of the player using the character. When I play a character who can only hit directly in front of them at a very short range, I want that character to be zippy and powerful, and for hits to feel robust. Virara would not be quite as combo heavy as Melty characters tend to be, but she would be a monster in the corner like Miyako is. It seems unfair and scrubby to an onlooker for a match to be decided entirely by corner pressure, but there is actually a subtle sort of art to repeatedly foiling your opponent's attempts to escape. I think that I really enjoy this sort of guessing game the most, as it puts pressure on them, and allows me to try to be unpredictable.

Note that design wise some of them have similarities with Virara too. Four of these characters have elbow and leaping forward kick strikes reminiscent of certain Chinese styles like Bajiquan, which is the aesthetic inspiration for her IC martial art in some respects.

It's a hard one to go with as there arn't -toooo- many magical fighters. But I would have to go with Castlevania's Judgement's Dracula. The use of his magical powers to shield him almost reflexively, and the set ups for powerful spells. Reiner uses either small trap like spells to get someone open, or either opening or closing with large overkill spells. He views mages in a militaristic sense often in battle, like artillery.

((Sadly there are very few videos of the game online.))

K1-48Gu_aIo

While he stills attempts it at times, Reiner has grown far to old and injured over the years to continue as a hand to hand fighter, and likely as a martial fighter all together. Due to his large size he often has joint and bone issues, but in his prime this would be his hand to hand ((Not Hakan Because that shit ain't oil wrestling really.))

s1shtB0-6n8

Though He has trained an apprentice El Silverkin, unlocking her skills as a melee grappler. and teaching her to breech into the use of lightning aether. with SF5 this is rather fitting.

VvO_fx0dw8Y

That's a pretty tough question! The first thing I think of when connecting Arblis to Fighting Game stuff is:

- Super Armor

- Parries

But I don't think I know enough fighting games to find a good analogue between those traits and "5-foot Catgirl with a Greatsword"

I mean the first Super Armor + Parry character I can think of is Big Band from Skullgirls and uuuuh not quiiiite. >_>

I could make a quick and simple suggestion - inspiration for DRKs everywhere.

[video=youtube]

[align=center]Flynt's style is very much inspired off of this character actually, since I loved Soul Caliber and specifically the character Kilik. It's important to note that his personal fighting style is somewhat divided, as how he combats monsters and scalekin is vastly different than how he fights people, as Jumps in the traditional sense are often less effective in his eyes against human combatants. [/align]

[align=center]JGTsas99c_Q [/align]

[align=center]Much of this style is ever growing, as it is a project of his to develop his own unique style based on Gridanian, Al Mhigan, Ishgardian and Doman techniques and texts revolving around them. The above video represents what I imagine the perfection of this style would look like, and what Flynt's endstate would probably be. Below isn't a fighting game, but since it matches with the above so well (and I love the video/song pairing) I will add it![/align]

[align=center]8oKFc_O82vI [/align]

So......

Tah is a hodgepodge of all things I love in a fighter. to boil her down to a few characters is really rough but the central characters are definitely:

Spiral:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKCE5xfo7M

Vice:

Shin Gouki:

With just enough brutality from Vanessa lewis:

.....And a few Tetsuzanko's and EWGFS to bring it all together!

Alice is easier Just add:

with the flair of:

And a little dash of:

I feel like I've been summoned to this thread.

Anyway, considering how Flynt's both a marauder and a ninja, we can play the groove rules here like SNK v Capcom. 

For Ninja Flynt, most definitely he'll play projectiles and hard hitting mediums into ultras. Best character who'd fit the bill would be DIO in Heritage for The Future. I could only wish to be ICly do timestops and roadrollers lmfao.

bK8m0L7wo5M

For Marauder Flynt there's no doubt about it he'd play like Shadow Labrys from Persona 4 Arena/Ultimax, obviously replace Asterius with like, I'dunno, one-handed punches. Flynt tends to vary between hand to hand and using the axe.

-VQ-9EqnF6g

However, if we're talking about 3D fighters,

NINFlynt:

Sweet soviet Krav Maga

dCnRQb2i1Ow

WARFlynt:

Corny as it is, Astaroth fights as Flynt would; grapples and heavies.

Qeo45oqDJwM

I'll take basically any parts of this.

[video=youtube]

Edit: My favorite trivia is that Brad Pitt and Eric Bana had a gentlemen's bet for all of the practice of that scene, if I recall correctly it was a thousand dollars per accidental smashing with a prop. They earned a lot of bruises for that choreography.

Double edit: Fine with this one, too.

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzsfyxACV7M

For Asmodean it would really end up being what mood he's in when a fight breaks out for how he would fight.

If he didn't really care who e was fighting or just needed to knock the attacker aside, he would end up being very aggressive using his ax more like a hatchet and mixing in a lot chain wrapped punches much like Sol Badguy... just without the air combo and fire.... or proto-gear dragon thing. >.>;;;

If Asmo couldn't end a fight quickly or respects the person he's fighting, duel or otherwise, the midlander would take his time and use the full reach of his ax, aiming to disable or knock his opponent out cold. If it means using his ax like a man catcher to lift them in to the air before slamming then in to the group then so be it.

Then this is just... Pain. It will only hurt... a lot. Thankfully, Asmo has never been push to this level of anger.