UK player here, will I be able to play decently on Balmung?

sarpynom

I've been away since release pretty much, I have a level 16 on Balmung and I'm really interested in the RP scene!

But now that they've actually put the EU servers in EU..Would I be at an disadvantage at end-game as a EU player on an NA server?

Also is there a large EU RP/general playerbase on Balmung? I'm scared in case I rarely see people due to the timezone!

When I ping Balmung's IP(199.91.189.30) my MS is around 100-120. Is that putting me at a noticeable disadvantage?

Well latency does not affect RP that much :)

They also fixed many of the mechanics that were lag problems :)

You can always try something like WTFast if you are really into end-end game :)

RP wise there is a big EU contingent. While most events are after midnight EU time there are some EU time friendly ones.

What's probably better is finding and EU based Free Company (FC) that is active at RP organising.

As you are already on Balmung, why not come and see for yourself and compare with the EU servers?

I haven't subbed yet I waiting to hear from this forum haha :)

hopefully 100ms wont hurt me too much at end game! Especially with the global cooldown and such. I'll sub shortly and see how it feels~

It's a shame there's no EU RP server.

Cheers for your reply!

UK Roleplayer here.

Your main challenges are:

- The vast majority of events are past midnight. The EU roleplay scene is quite large however so there are a few EU events kicking about plus many that happen without being advertised. Some American events which are reeeeeeaaaally non-EU friendly happen about 4am. When we move into summertime (UTC+1) it gets worse.

- The number of EU Roleplaying FC's. There are a few about but you may find your choices limited depending on what character you decide to play.

- If your internet is a little on the poor side you can encounter lag during PVE content and large events; although the long global cooldown certainly mitigates it and its completely unnoticeable for me.

I haven't subbed yet I waiting to hear from this forum haha :)

hopefully 100ms wont hurt me too much at end game! Especially with the global cooldown and such. I'll sub shortly and see how it feels~

It's a shame there's no EU RP server.

Cheers for your reply!

I'm in UK, I used to use WTFast and that was fine, I now use nothing and it seems fine.

I'm in the UK as well and I haven't had too many problems playing on Balmung. There's quite a lot of European players on the server but they can appear rather scattered at times. Generally speaking there's people around no matter what time of day - or night - you happen to get online. 

As far as PvE and PvP goes I rarely experience lag that makes me perform poorly. It does happen from time to time but even then it hasn't been anything that has made me unable to complete content effectively. Opportunities to raid during EU friendly hours, however, are scarce outside of the duty/party finder. You may need to be very proactive if you wish to do tackle high end content around the time that is is released.

One thing to be wary of is the occasional culture clash. Some people in the community struggle to understand many elements of British/European humour/culture and 'reserved' individuals at times risk being unfairly branded 'blunt' or 'frigid'.

Overall, though? Things are pretty good on Balmung for European players.

UK player here, had no problems finding RP or getting involved in content. Sure there's a lot more US events than EU ones but they are the larger population. If you happen to sub I'd recommend joining a linkshell, like Europa (Mostly EU) and Hugs and Cake (Mixed). You'll no doubt find other people looking for RP in those, as well as finding the right FC.

Another EU roleplayer here!

My internet is generally not that great but I've not noticed any of the issues I used to have a few months ago when I first came to Balmung.

During RP at best what you'll sometimes notice is the  ''Hey, you're walking so far behind me''   ''Uhh, I'm right next to you on my screen?''.. At least that's what I sometimes deal with, but other than that it's fine.

Finding RP for EU is generally better than a few months ago as well, as there are several EU events and some NA events that simple start very early which still make it do-able for EU.

Finding a EU FC might prove difficult simply because there aren't many. My problem with my former character was that the concept did not really fit with any company.

Butyea! You should totes come to Balmung!