Questions about RPing as a healer in XIV

This is my first RP character, and I've yet to RP her because I have a limited understanding of the lore (and the game!). Currently she is a level 45 White Mage, and I do wish to RP her as a healer but I'm not sure how healing works in this game. 

Firstly, she is Au Ra so I'm not sure if that affects anything. Secondly, she's an herbalist and naturopath, so she often uses natural treatments/remedies instead of 'magics' (for lack of a better word). She's not young, approximately 35 if human years/aging is equivalent to that of Au Ra. So, she's not inexperienced and she has been an independent healer for nearly two decades.

So, my questions are 1) Are there specific plants in lore that she should be using for her herbs, or are the earth plants acceptable?  2) How do healing magics work? I do plan on leveling all the healing classes but am focused on WHM for now. Do they manipulate Aether? Or is it some form of primal powers? Or is it something else?  

Any help/advice would be wonderful, either in general or specific. I want to join an FC but before I do the intro RP I want to have a firm grasp on the abilities and limitations of my healer. I don't retcon so I really can't afford to make a big mistake in RP. 

Thanks for your help!

The CNJ quests actually offer a pretty good idea of how Conjury borrows power from the Elementals in order to cure people magically. It's aether, yes, but it's borrowed from the land itself to promote growth and renewal. White Magic is specifically a power source called "Succor" which is also given by the Elementals and closely, closely guarded; Until the Warrior of Light went through the WHM job arc in the 2.x series the only one permitted to use it were Padjals, following an end-of-the-world scenario hundreds of years ago that ended the Fifth Umbral Era.

There's definitely a history of herbal recovery, though! Alchemists can craft potions of varying strength, and they all use specific ingredients from the in-game world. The recipes can be found at this website and clicking on each one and the "Created by..." tab will tell you what's required. X-Potions, for example, require vampire plants and thanvanarian mistletoe.

The CNJ quests actually offer a pretty good idea of how Conjury borrows power from the Elementals in order to cure people magically. It's aether, yes, but it's borrowed from the land itself to promote growth and renewal. White Magic is specifically a power source called "Succor" which is also given by the Elementals and closely, closely guarded; Until the Warrior of Light went through the WHM job arc in the 2.x series the only one permitted to use it were Padjals, following an end-of-the-world scenario hundreds of years ago that ended the Fifth Umbral Era.

There's definitely a history of herbal recovery, though! Alchemists can craft potions of varying strength, and they all use specific ingredients from the in-game world. The recipes can be found at this website and clicking on each one and the "Created by..." tab will tell you what's required. X-Potions, for example, require vampire plants and thanvanarian mistletoe.

I should have mentioned that due to a... learning disability, I am unable to process much of the lore set forth in the quests. I can't really explain other than that I think it's the format in which it's presented. That said, yes, the general idea came across and in my mind it works similar to to how Elementalists heal in GW2. So I think that I'm set with that. More specifically I'm wondering about the WHM. Is Succor too OP? As an Au Ra not long in Eorzea, would she have had access to a Padjal for training? What impact does the actual Soul Stone have, if any?

As for the Alchemy end.. thanks for the link, that's fantastic!

Eheh... Succor. Hm. Succor's a bit of a landmine to go into as a player character, and it's extremely divisive on whether or not we should be able to use it. I'm going to just link you to the incredibly expansive lore that our resident knowledge-monger, Sousnyy Mirke, has put together.

You can find answers to a large number of your questions in this post.

Yes, let's avoid landmines!

I prefer to RP as an average person, skilled but not extraordinary. You know, strengths and weaknesses, flaws... 

Again, links & resources! So very helpful. Looks like I've got a lot of reading to do. Thanks for the replies. 

I am still interested in opinions and perhaps examples of how others RP their healers.

Really, healing RP comes in as many forms as you can think of. There's the conventional MMO-style "I throw light at you and all of your wounds close" healing, there's a slower-burn "this accelerates mending, but go easy for a few days while it heals" kinds, there's very mundane "all this does is close your wounds, you're still bedridden for weeks" kind of stuff. You'll find all sorts mixed in and working together, and for the most part people roll with what's most fitting for a scene: A dramatic wound taken during a climactic battle loses all payoff when your healer just magic wands it better, but in large-scale things where people need to take some lumps and keep moving it fits right in.

If it helps any, "White Mage" in this game refers to a very specific role in the world: Other Final Fantasies use it as a synonym for "healer magician" but White Mages of Eorzea are guardians and protectors of the Twelveswood (the Black Shroud around Gridania). It's a very reclusive, very powerful, very tightly-knit group of a special race called the Padjal, all of whom are chosen by the Elementals themselves to be imparted with the power of Succor. Well, mostly. Somewhere in the past few years at least one non-Padjal was given that power, and that's the one who does the Job Quests.

Really, healing RP comes in as many forms as you can think of. There's the conventional MMO-style "I throw light at you and all of your wounds close" healing, there's a slower-burn "this accelerates mending, but go easy for a few days while it heals" kinds, there's very mundane "all this does is close your wounds, you're still bedridden for weeks" kind of stuff. You'll find all sorts mixed in and working together, and for the most part people roll with what's most fitting for a scene: A dramatic wound taken during a climactic battle loses all payoff when your healer just magic wands it better, but in large-scale things where people need to take some lumps and keep moving it fits right in.

Yes, this!

I play a healer as well, but based on arcanima instead of conjury. So his healing is based on a great deal of study, though he still has to manipulate aether in order to do anything involving actual 'magic' healing. But since he's a scholar (in every sense of the word), he's read a significant amount on anatomy and physiology and might not always rely on magic to do the whole job. Which makes sense, since my understanding of arcanima is that the majority of the aether used has to come from within the user. (Cam did overdo it once on the magic healing and ended up passed out from the effort. That's part of how I try to balance the "I wave my hands and POOF you are no longer bleeding!" aspect of things. I personally believe using magic should be as draining as any other skill, if not moreso. And there is always a strong chance that something is simply outside of their ability to heal completely... or even at all. Depends on the plot and the people involved.)

I dunno if my experience, what little it is, helps at all.. but there you go!

I've dabbled at healer RP here and there. It's definitely a gradient like Warren mentioned.

Depending on what fits in a scene, things can be anywhere from super-effective to barely-effective. Sometimes that's on the healer's part, other times, it's on the person being healed. Lots of people have their own headcanon about how strong healing is, or should be.

In large/fast-paced events, I'd say people are more tolerant of the "am I able to keep going/fighting" quick heal. Even after they've RPed having deep cuts, broken bones and the like. Because a magic fix-it is what keeps the RP going.

In smaller circles, I usually see slower or less-effective healing, as there's character development to be had, or a story behind the scar. Asking people or giving them a heads up of the intended effect is recommended if you have the opportunity. Even just a small /tell with something like "I'd like to try healing ____ on you to ____ effect, are you OK with that?"

--

As for how I've healed, I took the Arcanima approach. I like to think that the spells boost the regrowth of flesh and mend wounds more than outright "fix" it. Like, I'd assume there would still be blood loss. Or if I was involved in RP that had the regeneration of a limb, that it would be atrophied and weak, still needing plenty of time to finish up naturally. I've also dabbled with small pain-relief spells, but those were basically as effective as say, advil. That sore arm's still gonna be sore if it's not rested.

you could always make stuff up too. I've never seen anyone have an issue with it.

It's kind of what RP's all about ;D

As you say though, real life influences are fine. I use 'willow bark' constantly as a pain reliever, because it's basically aspirin. Does Eorzea have willows? I don't really know.

you could always make stuff up too. I've never seen anyone have an issue with it.

It's kind of what RP's all about ;D

As you say though, real life influences are fine. I use 'willow bark' constantly as a pain reliever, because it's basically aspirin. Does Eorzea have willows? I don't really know.

There are probably a lot of species of plant life that aren't specifically covered by the limited amount of harvest-able materials we've been given. Botanists need to have something to do that isn't just chopping down trees! :D

Thanks for all of the comments. It confirms what I had already been thinking but it's always nice to get the opinions of those active in the community. Hopefully I'll get into the swing of things and start RPing. Hope to meet and RP with you all in Eorzea!

My main character is a healer who basically started out as a hedge witch. She has a natural capacity for magical healing and studies the various schools of magic but also relies heavily on herbal remedies and good ol' mundane healing.

In most of my healing RPs she uses magic to slow bleeding, ease pain, numb a limb, close small wounds, etc but the majority is getting in there and cleaning and bandaging or stitching with plenty of salves and medicines. 

She can, and has, rped using large amounts of aether to keep people on their feet but, as has been said, it is draining and will put her out of commission if overdone. 

Best of luck and as a sidenote, if you ever want to meet up with other healers feel free to look for Isetaari Laurent in game or message me here.