Unusual reasons for Divinity/Patron choices?

This is not a question about fleshing out my character, but more  of a question insired by fleshing out my character. I want to know if people picked their patrons from the twelve for reasons not directly related to them or their worshipers (Like having Menphina despite being aromantic/asexual), for metaphorical purposes rather than practical ones (Like my choice of Byregot for Aurora not being for Crafting purposes but as a metaphor for her bridging and reconciling various relationships like the one with Ishgard and Dravania) or irony (like someone picking Llymaelin having the navigational skills of the Gold Saucer's Bearingless Bandits, or having Halone while being a Zen monk in Ishgard who is friendly to dragons, or having Rhagr while being... a Zen monk and a pacifist)

Uuuh. I tend to keep it logical, and not so much silly. However some people don't have their right God on their characters due to forgetting it with fantasia change, or just don't care.

Vi is Ishgardian, thus Halone. Ave's Ala Mhigan and a Fist, therefor Rhalgr. My roe on the other hand is a Lamb of Dalamud, so I gave her Menphina as her Goddess due to the prison Bahamut was kept in was named "Menphina's Loyal Hound".

I mean, as long people are happy with whatever choice they made which God is their main object of praise, or all, or none, it doesn't really matter to me what their reasoning is. In truth, I like some the examples you've given, especially with Byregot for example, but the irony ones just reeks as stupidity without a story, and I can hardly see why a person who for example is indeed a pacifist would praise Rhalgr or Halone. There's better Gods for people like that.

I kinda like people's main god to make a bit of sense? Whether they praise them directly for what they stand for, it a more poetic meaning, that's cool. Just sheer stupidity? Eh. It can make for interesting roleplay, I suppose. Although people are pretty defensive of their Gods, so folk could see it as a massive insult. Like a pacifist Fist for Ave would be about one of the biggest insults someone could deliver her. If you like conflict? Cool. But I think it is more trouble than its worth when you make their God choices come off as a joke. Religion be a serious thing in Eorzea yo.

I kinda like people's main god to make a bit of sense? Whether they praise them directly for what they stand for, it a more poetic meaning, that's cool. Just sheer stupidity? Eh. It can make for interesting roleplay, I suppose. Although people are pretty defensive of their Gods, so folk could see it as a massive insult. Like a pacifist Fist for Ave would be about one of the biggest insults someone could deliver her. If you like conflict? Cool. But I think it is more trouble than its worth when you make their God choices come off as a joke. Religion be a serious thing in Eorzea yo.

I see, I didn't meant to offend anyone with my questions. I was just curious if there are any players who chose their god for poetic reasons and the third one...was an afterthought.

I don't consider the deity you pick during creation to be representative of the character's beliefs. It's a guardian deity, and that doesn't require an active faith or belief. I interpreted it to be the deity that is watching your character, wanted or not.

This.

Au Ra do not worship the Twelve.

And yet, you pick a Guardian, from the Twelve, at CC...

I picked one that suited Aghurlal from a meta symbolic standpoint - he, too, has a destructive father, seeks to build something better, and utilises the very tools his father utilised to destroy in order to do so.

Likewise Cinu-a, another "wanderer" - and Shuukami, another proponent of icy vengeance.

I don't consider the deity you pick during creation to be representative of the character's beliefs. It's a guardian deity, and that doesn't require an active faith or belief. I interpreted it to be the deity that is watching your character, wanted or not.

This.

Au Ra do not worship the Twelve.

And yet, you pick a Guardian, from the Twelve, at CC...

I picked one that suited Aghurlal from a meta symbolic standpoint - he, too, has a destructive father, seeks to build something better, and utilises the very tools his father utilised to destroy in order to do so.

Likewise Cinu-a, another "wanderer" - and Shuukami, another proponent of icy vengeance.

I am pretty upset that Au ra didn't get a separate option actually.

It could also be that your faith is insincere. Like you live in Ul'dah with your family, and there's a great deal of pressure from them to observe some manner of respect for Nald'Thal. Maybe your character could even be a priest. But unknown to everyone, they believe a different faith and worship in secrecy.