The Au Ra Way

Hello everyone,

So, I'm thinking about a new character. I played around with an idea on the Jenova server, though I am not sure i'm happy about it and I'm chewing on some more ideas, including where I would take theme, given while my old home was Balmung, I'd rather go somewhere else and check out things; Along with other Roleplay styles.

What is this idea though? Well, I am thinking about a Male Au Ra, probably of the Xaela race, because I love their dark scales. I also like the idea of the Au Ra because in Eorzea they are the strange race that doesn't belong. They come from Othard, many are escapees and they are still oddities--- maybe even seen as exotic creatures.

That alone got me thinking about a much darker story, of what if a male Au Ra was taken as a child and sold off to slavery to work in Ceruleum Mines of the Garlean Empire, but he managed to escape when he was a young man, only to make it to the borders and be confused for some type of Beast Men.

This lead to him being knocked out, chained up, and maybe sold to some house in Ul'dah as an exotic man beast, who was used in underground gladiator tournaments. When the Calamity came, he tried to break free, but instead ended up saving the guy's daughter... Though the 'owner' died and while the child was to young to free him, their uncle (or godfather) told him that if he could find the means to pay off what he was worth, he could be free, so he would need to find work, while juggling his new duties to the new 'owner'; Or something like that.

These are my thoughts however and folks are free to weigh in to see what they think. If it to silly, if it makes sense, maybe there is some holes lore wise in it. Anything. Also maybe some suggestions on some servers.

Thanks!

Addition:

The other idea also could be he gets away as a young teen and taken in by the Brotherhood of Ash, thus raised, taken care of, and lives with the Amal'jaa, where being part of civilization is an after thought at first, but curious about it as he has gotten older.

Though this means his mannerisms would be more like theirs and RP wise he always would be found out in the deserts, hunting the tempered, aiding people in mysterious ways, and doing things the nomad way.

Hello everyone,

So, I'm thinking about a new character. I played around with an idea on the Jenova server, though I am not sure i'm happy about it and I'm chewing on some more ideas, including where I would take theme, given while my old home was Balmung, I'd rather go somewhere else and check out things; Along with other Roleplay styles.

What is this idea though? Well, I am thinking about a Male Au Ra, probably of the Xaela race, because I love their dark scales. I also like the idea of the Au Ra because in Eorzea they are the strange race that doesn't belong. They come from Othard, many are escapees and they are still oddities--- maybe even seen as exotic creatures.

That alone got me thinking about a much darker story, of what if a male Au Ra was taken as a child and sold off to slavery to work in Ceruleum Mines of the Garlean Empire, but he managed to escape when he was a young man, only to make it to the borders and be confused for some type of Beast Men.

This lead to him being knocked out, chained up, and maybe sold to some house in Ul'dah as an exotic man beast, who was used in underground gladiator tournaments. When the Calamity came, he tried to break free, but instead ended up saving the guy's daughter... Though the 'owner' died and while the child was to young to free him, their uncle (or godfather) told him that if he could find the means to pay off what he was worth, he could be free, so he would need to find work, while juggling his new duties to the new 'owner'; Or something like that.

These are my thoughts however and folks are free to weigh in to see what they think. If it to silly, if it makes sense, maybe there is some holes lore wise in it. Anything. Also maybe some suggestions on some servers.

Thanks!

Given how predominant the Au Ra are in Othard, any Ul'dahian worth their salt would recognize them, especially those involved in trade. As for Ceruleum Mines, if I recall, Ceruleum is like oil.

You don't actually mine it, and it would be difficult for Garlemeld to use slave labor around such a precious resource. They also don't really need to rely on slave labor because they have magitek, constructs don't need to be fed [also playing with the Empire's over-dependence on using technology; they're a people who make magitek claws load cannons just because]. Most of the 'bad' things come from the refugee populations that Garlemeld creates from their expansion, such as Doma and Ala Mhigo.

It is also implied that a fair proportion of the Legions forcefully conscript their soldiers (especially the legion under Gaius's command in Ala Mhigo), so instead of being a miner, your Au Ra could have been a conscript sent into battle as fodder by some of the more sadistic centurions.

Of course, information is scarce about what actually happens in Othard and Ul'dah doesn't lack unscrupulous merchants.

Hello everyone,

Thanks!

Given how predominant the Au Ra are in Othard, any Ul'dahian worth their salt would recognize them, especially those involved in trade. As for Ceruleum Mines, if I recall, Ceruleum is like oil.

You don't actually mine it, and it would be difficult for Garlemeld to use slave labor around such a precious resource. They also don't really need to rely on slave labor because they have magitek, constructs don't need to be fed [also playing with the Empire's over-dependence on using technology; they're a people who make magitek claws load cannons just because]. Most of the 'bad' things come from the refugee populations that Garlemeld creates from their expansion, such as Doma and Ala Mhigo.

It is also implied that a fair proportion of the Legions forcefully conscript their soldiers (especially the legion under Gaius's command in Ala Mhigo), so instead of being a miner, your Au Ra could have been a conscript sent into battle as fodder by some of the more sadistic centurions.

Of course, information is scarce about what actually happens in Othard and Ul'dah doesn't lack unscrupulous merchants.

Thank you for the reply! Also, oops on that detail regarding Ceruleum. I think I was getting my old facts when they would mine aethryte crystals and use a process to convert them to Ceruleum mixed up with the actual resource itself. Those are also good point brought up, so mining out of the picture!

But yeah, there are some shady merchants in Ul'dah who might enslave a youth to be a slave in fights/whatever. Though that have to be a very grave secret, cause I do imagine it would be frowned on (maybe?) by some more higher voices in the Syndicate.

I guess I'm also trying to find a means in character story also to help with the fact that my life sometimes gets fairly busy and I can't be around often... That and I do love corruption/dark stories where it a struggle. Never been a fan of the easy "hero" roads. xD

Ceruleum in its processed form is a bit like oil yes. It is a distilled form of pure concentrated aether in liquid volatile form. 

It can be harvested from the earth but it can also be processed from aether crystals. So, the mine concept stands in my opinion.

Also, and that's going into the realm of speculation here, but I actually believe that Magitek equipment for the Garlean Empire is far from being ubiquitous, and quite costly. The Garleans seem mostly concerned by handing out Magitek to their own, and usually as can be seen with the rest of their conscript forces for example, they let them use basic equipment since those 'races' have, after all, access to magic, unlike them. There are a lot of discrepancies in terms of technology shown by various corps and legions, and we don't even know how it is in their own society (I bet, again, full of Magitek for true garlics, and a lot less for conquered races, that are after all, mostly left to govern their own lands).

That's not to say that the automated mines/harvesters is not possible (quite the contrary), but I think a case can also be made for 'slaves' or at least 'conscripted workers' in the garlean fold, working in mines. Especially as a form of punishment for insidious elements.

...only to make it to the borders and be confused for some type of Beast Men. This lead to him being knocked out, chained up, and maybe sold to some house in Ul'dah as an exotic man beast, who was used in underground gladiator tournaments.

The main thing that caught my eye is that your Xaela was mistaken for a beastman and taken to Ul'dah. While he may have been mistaken for a beastman in Eorzea (see Ishgard), he likely would've been killed long before he was brought to Ul'dah. All beastmen are outlawed in the sultanate and have been for nearly 15 years now. Ul'dah is all about importing exotic beasts, just not exotic beastmen. If they're Spoken, they don't want them. Hells, many of the native Dunesfolk are still upset that the city is no longer only inhabited by Lalafell.

It was approximately [fifteen] years ago that the last of the beastmen was driven out from Ul’dah. Faced with an impending imperial invasion, the Syndicate passed a policy to purge the sultanate of all beastmen, who found themselves unceremoniously banished by the bevy. Overnight, the sight of sylvan crystal merchants and goblin junk dealers alike up and vanished from the Sapphire Avenue Exchange. Despite the decree’s dubiousness, it was warmly welcomed by the majority of merchants, who regarded reduced rivalry with relish.

Inevitably, Ul’dahn merchants, too, came to know of this new player in the field. Unsurprisingly, there were those who felt fearful of Mutamix, convinced that the goblin would incite instability in a market governed by protectionist policies. Such is the acuteness of their aversion, they went so far as to petition the Immortal Flames for the expeditious eradication of all goblins roaming the region. Sultanate decree distinctly dictates that no goblins are to set foot on Ul’dahn soil. Naught, however, is stipulated of their presence outside her walls.

However' date=' one evening, as I was dining alone at a seaside table, I overheard another customer claim that this mushroom stew was a favorite dish amongst those filthy rat-like beasts, the Qiqirn! And while they are not considered one of the beast tribes, they are most definitely not one of...well...us. The last thing I need in my line of work is to be associated with one of [i']those[/i] creatures. What would my customers think if they learned my tastes were no more refined than those of a gutter-dwelling rodent!?

Dwell not on the fact that the Amalj'aa are the sworn enemies of Ul'dah.

More on the Gladiator angle, while slavery is outlawed in the Eorzean city-states Ul'dah does use prisoners in their gladiator matches. These prison fighters are called Noxius. A Noxius can attempt to buy their freedom if their match turns enough profit. So perhaps a different angle you could take with your character (if you wanted them to be a Coliseum gladiator) would be for them to be taken prisoner for a crime they did or didn't commit and then take the option to fight for their freedom, assuming they have skill at arms. This avoids the beastman inconsistency and slavery trope while still keeping the chained up exotic outcast vibe. Gladiators take stage names, so you could have your Au Ra play on the Ul'dahn prejudice against beastmen and have his stage name be The Beastman or something like that.

You don't actually mine it, and it would be difficult for Garlemeld to use slave labor around such a precious resource. They also don't really need to rely on slave labor because they have magitek, constructs don't need to be fed [also playing with the Empire's over-dependence on using technology; they're a people who make magitek claws load cannons just because].

Wanted to correct a couple things in this response. Garlemald does actually use conquered peoples as slave labor, as evidenced in Ala Mhigo. Though you are correct in that Garlemald is magitek-centric and have access to cranes and other equipment - these magitek devices are powered by ceruleum, which has become a more difficult item for the Empire to procure in bulk, hence why in the Keeper of the Lake dungeon, Garlean salvage crews are attempting to find ceruleum tanks left over from the Agrius. This shortage of ceruleum fuel for their warmachines was the reason the XIVth Legion launched their fleet towards Mor Dhona in 1562 and later established castrums fortifying their position in the mountains where ceruleum is mined.

Arthur is awake' date=' and suffered me long enough to answer my questions. He is a good man, and a brave soul. He spoke of rapid fortifications being made in Ala Mhigo, and of Ala Mhigans being driven by lash and brand to make them. He painted a godless picture, and I fear the reality of it even worse. A spy must needs smother his own feelings─to deny all that defines him. He had to stand by and watch Ala Mhigans beaten and worked and starved to death. It is enough to drive any man mad...[/quote']

Second is that ceruleum has to be mined first before it can be refined into something usable.

Ceruleum? Yes' date=' I've heard of it. Some sort of oil, if I recall. Mined in the mountains north of Ul'dah. Brother Telent of the conjurers says no elementals reside in the stuff. They now think it is most likely produced from the remains of ancient life, long dead.[/quote']

For more lore on the above topics, be sure to check out the posts below! Hope this helps! ^^

-Gladiator Lore

-Garlean Lore

-Ceruleum Lore

Thank you all for your replies thus far (and keep them coming!). The responses help me break down a bit in thought over what is doable, along with correcting my errors in my original thoughts.

Based on what you have all brought up and going back to my original idea...

Maybe we can go with the idea of being a conscripted worker for the Garlean Empire forced to work the mines, which was brutal because he was always trying to fight back. Sort of like a wild mustang refusing to be broken.

He then tried to make a run for it when he was a bit older, but he was caught and then they decided, since he wanted to fight so badly, they knocked him out and then threw him out in the front lines of some war; Probably hoping he get himself killed.

He managed to survive and play dead for a bit, till he believed it was safe and then started to scramble his way for the borders. Problem was, when he did make it over the border, he was mistaken for a soldier of Garlemald still and given the whole war between Eorzea and Garlemald, they captured him, didn't believe him, but someone thought it be amusing to use him for entertainment and tossed him into the arena.

With no weapons, or armor. Once again, he should have probably died and a few times he nearly did, but kept finding the means to survive. Either from brute force or just sheer grit. Maybe someone took pity on him and decided to believe his story, so they paid for him to be released and took him under their wing.

While maybe now a "free man", he stays with this person out of honor and perhaps, life-debt.

Other option....

All the stuff above, but he never got "bought", he is still "not free", but he gets hired out for mercenary work at times, thus when he is allowed to see the sky, because some saw his performance and decided to pay for his work out in the field at times. Which means the only time he gets to see the sky, the smell of the sand, is when someone hires him to do their dirty work. Which beats being stuck inside a cell with no view of the sky.

A bit darker, but I was re-reading the lore stuff and saw "mercenary work" and went "Hey! That would be cool!" Which also would help explain his sometimes random absence from the world.

How does the new and improve version work there for folks?

I decided to go ahead and work a bit more with what everyone had given me so far. While this is a rough write up of perhaps what will be the actual character, I imagine there is still room for some improvement and I'm still very open to critique.

So if anything jumps out, please let me know!

Meantime, gonna see if I can figure out a server for this guy.

Name: ??? Noykin

Race/Clan: Au Ra Xaela

Religious: No

Personality: Spirited, Stubborn,Ruthless, Aloof, Compassionate, Humble, Distrusting

Brief History: Conscripted in as a child after the death of most of his family, he was forced to work hard labor from mining, digging wells, and heavy lifting for the Garlean Empire. While attempting to escape many times, he was never fortunate enough to get away with the punishment becoming worse each time, but like the horses of his land, he would not be broken so easily.

Eventually though, they did grow tired of his behavior and many attempts, but instead of killing him themselves, they decided to force him into the battlefield. Forcing him to fight or die, but this would be their mistake, for when the time was right... He ran like the mighty mustang of his home plains; They would never force his hand again.

While crossing the border was freedom from one life, it placed him right into the clutches of another. Directly into a patrolling Immortal Flames, wearing Garlean armor still. While fate be kind, that they did not kill him as he surrendered quickly, fate was still cruel as none believed he was not a real soldier, and so he was given the choice...

Die in the arena or win his way to freedom.

For if he was against Garlemald and he wanted his revenge, the answer would be very clear.

So when the first battle came with no real armor or weapon, he made it clear. He would get his revenge and one day free those who were still captive. Free the conscripts that the Garlean Empire so forcefully held. Thus, with each battle in the arena, his heart hardened more and he focused solely on his desire. This brutal form and savage might, gained the attention of several wealthy traders looking for fighters to act as mercenaries.

Those that would not shy from battle,protect their cargo, and did not fear death. They saw these attributes in him, like several other fighters and started to hire him. Though perhaps not true freedom, it was mark that he was getting close to it. For to see the stars of the night sky and the rising sun once more, was good enough and after several years of the arena, he wondered as he walked those trails with other mercenaries, if he could ever truly leave such a life, but only time would tell.

Just going to throw some food for thought out.

People in this setting are religious. Because magic exists. Whereas folk from Othard do not have the Twelve, they got their own gods. The Dusk Father and the Dusk Mother for the Xaela and Raen respectively. And the Domans seem to praise all things surrounding them.

So making a char /not/ religious is rather odd. It's valid, but they would be more the exception but the norm.

That said...

I don't think running around in Garlean outfit + not believing they are a real soldier is something what would happen... But that is totally up to you.

The Dusk Father and the Dusk Mother for the Xaela and Raen respectively.

Dawn Father for Raen, and Dusk Mother for Xaela!

There's also the Xaelan gods Nhama (moon goddess, worshipped by the Kagon tribe) and Azim (sun goddess, worshipped by the Oronir and despised by the Kagon). These are stated, I believe, to be separate gods from the similar-sounding members of the Twelve. I'm sure there's more but I can't remember off the top of my head.

Sorry. xD;;

Just going to throw some food for thought out.

People in this setting are religious. Because magic exists. Whereas folk from Othard do not have the Twelve, they got their own gods. The Dusk Father and the Dusk Mother for the Xaela and Raen respectively. And the Domans seem to praise all things surrounding them.

So making a char /not/ religious is rather odd. It's valid, but they would be more the exception but the norm.

That said...

I don't think running around in Garlean outfit + not believing they are a real soldier is something what would happen... But that is totally up to you.

Ah hells, that was actually a typo (and why I should not write things at 7-8am with no coffee). They believed he WAS a soldier, thus why he was thrown in the Bloodsands.

As for him not being religious, it is because he is--- kinda upset with the Moon Goddess. He was taught the ways of his people, but he feels abandoned by her and so, in anger, he ignores those teachings; Maybe one day this will change!

I will fix that typo though!

I decided to go ahead and work a bit more with what everyone had given me so far. While this is a rough write up of perhaps what will be the actual character, I imagine there is still room for some improvement and I'm still very open to critique.

So if anything jumps out, please let me know!

Meantime, gonna see if I can figure out a server for this guy.

Name: ??? Noykin

Race/Clan: Au Ra Xaela

Religious: No

Personality: Spirited, Stubborn,Ruthless, Aloof, Compassionate, Humble, Distrusting

Brief History: Conscripted in as a child after the death of most of his family, he was forced to work hard labor from mining, digging wells, and heavy lifting for the Garlean Empire. While attempting to escape many times, he was never fortunate enough to get away with the punishment becoming worse each time, but like the horses of his land, he would not be broken so easily.

Eventually though, they did grow tired of his behavior and many attempts, but instead of killing him themselves, they decided to force him into the battlefield. Forcing him to fight or die, but this would be their mistake, for when the time was right... He ran like the mighty mustang of his home plains; They would never force his hand again.

While crossing the border was freedom from one life, it placed him right into the clutches of another. Directly into a patrolling Immortal Flames, wearing Garlean armor still. While fate be kind, that they did not kill him as he surrendered quickly, fate was still cruel as none believed his story that he wasn't a soldier, instead they firmly believed he was, but they did give him the hard choice...

Die in the arena or win his way to freedom.

For if he was against Garlemald and he wanted his revenge, the answer would be very clear.

So when the first battle came with no real armor or weapon, he made it clear. He would get his revenge and one day free those who were still captive. Free the conscripts that the Garlean Empire so forcefully held. Thus, with each battle in the arena, his heart hardened more and he focused solely on his desire. This brutal form and savage might, gained the attention of several wealthy traders looking for fighters to act as mercenaries.

Those that would not shy from battle,protect their cargo, and did not fear death. They saw these attributes in him, like several other fighters and started to hire him. Though perhaps not true freedom, it was mark that he was getting close to it. For to see the stars of the night sky and the rising sun once more, was good enough and after several years of the arena, he wondered as he walked those trails with other mercenaries, if he could ever truly leave such a life, but only time would tell.

(And dumb me, accidentally "quotes" it instead of "edits" it. This is gonna be one of those days xD)

The Dusk Father and the Dusk Mother for the Xaela and Raen respectively.

Dawn Father for Raen, and Dusk Mother for Xaela!

There's also the Xaelan gods Nhama (moon goddess, worshipped by the Kagon tribe) and Azim (sun goddess, worshipped by the Oronir and despised by the Kagon). These are stated, I believe, to be separate gods from the similar-sounding members of the Twelve. I'm sure there's more but I can't remember off the top of my head.

Sorry. xD;;

I JUST WOKE UP OKAY ;_; But ty for correcting me xD