What makes you walk up?

Maril

I don't typically initiate walk-ups because...

I'm in that LS. :moogle:(Kiliet is awesomesauce btw, y'all.) As soon as he mentioned feeling uncomfortable, my brain went to work thinking of ways to pull his character into RP without being overbearing (hopefully it worked xD ). If anyone mentions feeling some anxiety in initiating or joining RP, I will bend over backwards to help if I can! If y'all would like, feel free to get a message to me somehow (on the RPC, LS, tell, through a friend, or smoke signals) and I'll hang out with ya. :D

I still remember my first ever walk up in this game. Someone was nearby and sent me a tell, "Are you in character and willing to rp?" I was panicked for a moment, then was all "Ye-yeah!" And good rp was had. <3

There's not really anything in particular that causes me to walk-up to someone. Sometimes I recognize a name from an event, sometimes I spy an emote that I just -have- to go interact after, sometimes I pick a face at random in a crowd and see what happens. Roka is normally pretty friendly so is easy for me to drop her in on someone (she's been a little grumpy the past week due to story reasons).

I -love- when people walk-up to me as well. I might have a short panic moment, but I jump on in happily afterward.

I am one of those who doesn't walk up to people. Why? Social anxiety! It's such a fun thing.

My main, Cam, is shy as well. He's not at all the type to suddenly walk up to someone and strike up conversation. Which works for me, since even sending /tells to people who I've met here on the RPC (who have given express permission to contact them) sends me into a panic. I'm always afraid of interrupting something or being a pain in the ass.

I've never actually had any walkups come up to me either, but I've only been playing for a few months and I also realize the fact that catboys are pretty much a dime a dozen. It's something I'd be happy to go along with if it was initiated, especially anywhere that's not the Quicksand or the aetheryte plaza. Walk-ups out in the wild would be rad. Helping take down a Fate together or something seems to me like it could be a fun hook.

I don't typically initiate walk-ups because...

-snip-

Are... are you me?

Also, thanks for the replies regarding the search info thing everyone. That's good to know!

Haha, I was going to ask the same thing.

I haven't initiated walk-ups, yet.

I haven’t finished fleshing Ehfi out as a character. I tend to work in the current of a character and then roll backwards to work on the background. Because of what I usually do that make solid characters, I haven’t really fleshed out Ehfi.  Sooo I’m nervous about initiating walk-ups…plus I am still relatively new to FFXIV. 

I do know what would get my nerves to stop, but experience tells me that if I see a bleeding person walking- I hesitate. Why? Well, I’ve experienced the type of people who have their characters walk around wounded, asking for help but when help comes- attack the healer. (Which in turn, made a lot of my more caring characters apathetic. As well as become ‘healers with the bloodiest of hands’)

All in all, I am just a bundle of nerves that would love walk-ups, and haven’t quite figured out how to set up the search information would be interesting? Because the character is not as fleshed out as I like and I do not wish to mess up.

I so very rarely do walk-up RP, but mostly it's more what I avoid than anything else.

Like, if your RP profile blatantly states you are into ERP, I'm not going to waste my time, because I've found that most of the time, someone who's flag says they ERP is only looking for ERP, and that's disheartening and not what I'm after.

I do like people who have tiny.url links to RPC pages in their profiles a lot, though!

This game does make me wish we had a feature like World of Warcraft's MyRP add-on. That was a really nice way to meet folks and people watch, as it were.

I'll check their user info, then their FC info. I prefer user info that gives me something to work with; if it just says [rp], I'll keep walking.

Recently, I've taken to writing current physical appearance in the info box like:

• Burned on right half of body, partially healed (or "Pulls down sleeve to hide burn marks")
  • Glances furtively around before shuffling away.
  • A friendly face.

I've had more success with these than anything else I've squished into that limited space.

eta: I may be wrong, but it really seems like for every one person that will just march right up to initiate RP with someone, there's 9 that won't. So you have a bunch of people just sitting around all night, hoping someone will walk up. I've initiated conversation and I've been ignored more times than I can count as the person/people nearby have either a friend or someone else who is more palatable to their RP style walk up. So, you kind of have to be okay with rejection.

After reading through the thread, this post here covers a lot of how I feel about walking up!

When it comes to people who are not currently doing RP at the moment I observe them, I pretty much always check search info and FC info (my fingers have become incredibly quick at this) and since there's very little space there, what you choose to put in it is VERY important to me. Here's an example of the kind of search comment I rarely ever get interested in:

M / D / Para RP

Tells / walk-ups

Currently: IC

This tells me almost nothing. What style of RP you're into becomes readily apparent just in how you write your character, I've been burned lots of times by "tells and walkups welcome!" being a complete lie that I don't care about the second line, and the status indicator in the third only tells me you forgot to change it back or you're afk or something.

And none of it is about who your character is, or prompts someone could be curious about!

Here's an example of an "Okay but still not ideal" search message. Also it's the one I usually have up:

(( RP yeah! Interrupt me! :D ))

Infinitely Curious Explorer

I think specifically asking people to interrupt me while I'm mid-RP is clever, because it pre-empts a 'what if she's in this 1on1 scene and I'd just be disrupting her' thought. Of course, it's still a lot of that 60chr space taken up for not much.

The other part at least gives some idea of what sort of things the character could be lured into a scene with, and a hint of reputation. Even though that's my own thing, it's still not the kind of search info that gets me to walk-up most often. Though I might mark down the name and description in case I ever need a Courier / DRK Trainer / Fence / whatever you are.

The search comments that add the most to my "Gumption To Walk-Up" meter are like the ones ExAtomos wrote above- quirks or traits that make me immediately curious, or just interested in kicking off a silly little one-shot scene. Stuff like:

Stares intently at anyone who walks by carrying food

Being trailed by curious bats

Obviously oiled his muscles before going out

---

AND THAT'S JUST EFFECTIVE SEARCH COMMENTS!

So I should get back to the actual question: What wakes me walk up?

Records show that the biggest commonality between people I've done walk-up RP at is that they were brooding and staring out over a cliff. Especially when I see this out in the world! Now, I can't say that's a surefire way to summon walk-up RP because holy crap who's gonna even find you out there, but it's what's drawn me in most often!

A lot of the other stuff is based on my character's nature. She's an unrepentant eavesdropper and she absolutely loves stories. If I see someone on the street is telling a story to their friends, there's a good chance I'll butt in and appreciate the heck outta that story. And because my character is not very sneaky and really enjoys trying to get inside people's heads, she will rarely have an eavesdropping session that doesn't end with her busting into the conversation with perfect timing and unwanted 'advice'

The eavesdropping thing leads in to one other style of walk-up I try to do once in a while- and that's that Arblis will occasionally try to bully the toughest person in the room in a social situation. "It's great practice for digging in to someone's mind, and if I screw it up, it's also great practice at running away!"

I like walk up rp.

But it's really exhausting to initiate. I'm secretly not actually a very social person.

For me I look for little details, maybe a quote, something to catch my interest. Certain races also catch my interest more, or just a character that is kind of unique looking.  I also watch other people rp to see a bit of their style.  I like people who use "s when there is dialogue.  I also look for people who would be an interesting fit for my own characters to meet.

As far as deterrents, tags that only say 'rp'  cause it gives me nothing of interest. I avoid any that have erp tags.  Not my thing and I don't want to deal with it since that's usually what they seem to want, and I want character building and interesting conversation not smut.

tl;dr - Have something interesting in the tag don't be an erper and I'll probably try and rp with you. :D

Uh, an interesting subject. And I must say, I'm rather amazed by the sheer amount of people that won't ever initiate. Understandable, but amazing.

Personally, it's like a random thing. Cause it's not me, it's the character. Roughly said, I don't give a shit about those M/E/Para (meh, I might be one of the few that got to a brothel from times to times just to take news of whores/courtesans I've met outside) or whatever in a search box, but like those bits about a satchel, scars, and such. What import to me is that the character would take an interest in someone.

Best example? Two days ago, taking a breather between two dungeons, spotted someone sitting right beside me with a Gobbie Cap. Who the fuck wear gobbie caps? So started to talk to the character. And spent four hours from a cap to airship constructing.

More or less, if your character got an intriguing look, seem to do things, (ye know, the emotes when standing idle, that you are humming, singing, reading a book or such?), seem not to do things (yeah, I also aggro people standing still from hours while the world move around them [picked with a dice.]), if my friends are busy or just that I feel like it? I'll start talking. So... roughly, I always talk. Or I'm bored.

But if you're clothed like some common whores with panties showing, nearly bare breasts or such? You fall in the flower pots category for me. Stickers to the wall most of times, cause it does seem about 125% of people in those outfit are those flowers on a wall, waiting to be picked up. (Which is rather amusing, as it mean those are people waiting for walk-ups. You see the point? :P)

Though, speaking of search info, I've always wondered about the usefulness of those LF for Stories you can see sometimes. I mean... how exactly people are expecting to see considered? Like "Hey pal, I got a plot running, I don't fucking know you, wanna tag along?" or something more... meh, my vocabulary end here.

Anyway, that's said, time for pancakes.

So I should get back to the actual question: What wakes me walk up?

Records show that the biggest commonality between people I've done walk-up RP at is that they were brooding and staring out over a cliff. Especially when I see this out in the world! Now, I can't say that's a surefire way to summon walk-up RP because holy crap who's gonna even find you out there, but it's what's drawn me in most often!

Ouch. I tend to go look over cliffs out of habit or something, most of the time when I'm not RPing, queued for duty, etc (favorite spot for that? Just outside of the Carline Canopy, and yeah, I have been approached before due to that...).