What makes you walk up?

Maril

So let's talk about what's in just about everyone's search comments: A remark about the player being welcoming/accepting of random, walk-up RP. 

I'm curious about what makes people walk up, and just in general what you go through before you take IC contact to someone. There's so many ways to go about things, and I like reading about what others do to learn a little about what I can do better, and such. 

Do you check people's search comments? Do you "google" them on the RPC's wiki? Do you just go "Hey that person looks nice" or do you follow their RP first and then decide? 

Do you feel the need to have a hook-emote (A casual remark/emote you can respond to) before you walk up? And if so, what seems to work the best? 

Or, alternatively if you never walk-up/initiate then why is that?

I always check search info before I walk up to anyone.

I'll go off of anything - even if their search info doesn't explicitly mention RP I'll walk up if they look like they're standing around IC. Hooks aren't needed, I can come up with whatever I need to approach someone on the fly. Obviously with this strategy I get ignored half the time. A risk I'm willing to take, I will RP with anyone so I don't expect it to work out each time.

Only time I'll avoid walking up to someone right off the bat is if their search info is mostly ERP info. More for their sake than mine. I doubt I could tickle their fancy... among other things.

Typically, I don't usually approach people out of nowhere. I'm one of those people who likes to kinda meet a person OOC and then schedule "RP Time" with them. There's always a part of me that thinks I'm interrupting whatever the person's doing when I approach randomly, so I generally do not. ...and on bad days, I'm even more likely to just not talk to people already in Linkshells, Free Companies, etc.

In terms of being approached, unless I'm otherwise busy with something, I tend to drop what I was doing (probably leveling or crafting) to RP or at least OOCly chat with the person. I'm far more open to a stranger talking to me than I am talking to a stranger. (I know. I'm being hypocritical because I tell people to talk to strangers!)

If a person makes a lasting enough impact on my interest, whether I was just observing their RP or a part of it, I may look up their search info and wiki, if they exist. Search info browsing usually only happens if I'm sitting there with a group list already open. ...or if I'm looking for someone. (So I don't typically look at search info unless I've already decided to search for the person to start.)

I'll check their user info, then their FC info. I prefer user info that gives me something to work with; if it just says [rp], I'll keep walking.

Recently, I've taken to writing current physical appearance in the info box like:

• Burned on right half of body, partially healed (or "Pulls down sleeve to hide burn marks")
  • Glances furtively around before shuffling away.
  • A friendly face.

I've had more success with these than anything else I've squished into that limited space.

eta: I may be wrong, but it really seems like for every one person that will just march right up to initiate RP with someone, there's 9 that won't. So you have a bunch of people just sitting around all night, hoping someone will walk up. I've initiated conversation and I've been ignored more times than I can count as the person/people nearby have either a friend or someone else who is more palatable to their RP style walk up. So, you kind of have to be okay with rejection.

I honestly just walk up to people with cool looking characters/interesting outfits.

I check to see if they have an RP tag, but even if they don't I'll walk up and do an emote. If they don't respond I'll send them a tell.

I walk up to a lot of people, it's fun.

Not to derail, but what's this search/user/FC info you're mentioning? I haven't seen anything in-game for character details and/or biographies yet, unless it requires unlocking from something?

Additionally, I very rarely walk-up due to extreme social anxiety IRL. If I do, it's probably because someone I already know is involved and feel comfortable sitting on the fringe. That said, I'm very receptive if someone approaches me. Walk-ups are my favourite flavour of roleplay, which tends to be difficult when I can't do it, you know?

Not to derail, but what's this search/user/FC info you're mentioning? I haven't seen anything in-game for character details and/or biographies yet, unless it requires unlocking from something?

Additionally, I very rarely walk-up due to extreme social anxiety IRL. If I do, it's probably because someone I already know is involved and feel comfortable sitting on the fringe. That said, I'm very receptive if someone approaches me. Walk-ups are my favourite flavour of roleplay, which tends to be difficult when I can't do it, you know?

30432d3bdd.jpg

If you hit O/Open your social menu (Image in the spoiler box), then right click on your own name you'll get the option to edit your search info. There's not much space but you can squeeze in just enough to let people know you roleplay and such :)

A Qestir seated on the bench next to Ul'dah's chocobo stable smiled at me.

I repeat.

A Qestir -- Xaela tribesmen who do not speak or vocalize by choice -- caught my attention and invited a walk-up with a mere targeted /smile emote.

I don't need much, personally. Just an acknowledgement that you're IC and available to RP at that given moment. Hell, I was OoC, running for the MB, when I caught sight of that emote. I immediately put on the brakes and went IC (helps that my PvE gear is glamoured to my main RP set).

If you hit O/Open your social menu (Image in the spoiler box), then right click on your own name you'll get the option to edit your search info. There's not much space but you can squeeze in just enough to let people know you roleplay and such :)

If you are on ps4, you can also target yourself and use square button to open the menu that includes Edit Search Info (as well as use the party list) :D

Also, it has a serious character limit. 60 or 150... something like that. You have to be very succinct in there; it's def not for character biographies.

I walk up less than I'm walked up to, but generally I only need assurance they're IC. If they look at me when I approach, my character will stare back ICly and the rest follows naturally.

I'm sometimes really busy. But if I'm not busy and I just see someone RP walking alone or otherwise, I'll walk over and FIND a reason for my character to say hi. Their outfit, maybe if they emote, something in their expression. I find I am ALWAYS walking up. Nobody ever walks up to me. LOL but there is hardly a time I leave my character standing around someplace. I MAKE myself walk up to people because otherwise I'd never meet anyone new!

There are some good ideas here though. I rarely look at search info or company info. It HAS lead to some pretty hilarious RP though. You know, the kind of search infos you see and automatically assume 'this person will not RP with me because I'm not a female character or what they're looking for'? ..Well, sometimes they'll RP with you anyways and sometimes it's a hilariously awkward treat.

Anyone not a midlander, au ra or miqo'te. Sorry folk, I'm terribly based. :L Gimme the lesser played races! That said, if someone looks interesting, or has something eyecatching in their search info, I'd still harass them. Hell, I've found plenty of folk as of late due to that alone.

These days I tend to walkup in open world normally just to prove the point that 90%* of people with it are never actually willing to roleplay with you if you walkup.

Although if I were to walk up properly it would be on the basis of an interesting character I'd like to interact with and possibly build a connection; or I'm just really bored and anything goes.

Generally I look for characters who are fairly well grounded, I try to avoid looking people up on the RPC or from what I've seen of their text/information aren't really going to match my RP style.

I've had some good roleplay from walkups, some really bad too. When it comes to approaching people I don't need a hook though, I just make something up on the spot be it wild or not and run with it.

Really, for me it's just really, really mercurial. I usually tend to throw someone a tell first before walking over, but that's just social anxiety. I've been off my RP game for a while though, so at some point I'm gonna have to get out there. An interesting looking character, Roegadyn women, an emote that catches my attention, or a blurb in a search note that makes me think are all nice things to drag me in, though.

Certain qualifications for Lunelle: 

> be of a certain race; Luney doesnt trust "anything with a tail" and REFUSES to speak to wildwood unless she is forced

> have a search info that doesnt scream "Im looking for ERP~" 

> Preferably have a wiki

> I will always, ALWAYS at least give a smile to my fellow duskwights.

I never do it.

I have a bit of a social anxiety and also try to initiate contact with people I know or contacted beforehand. I am extremely wary of RP styles or ideals that will not mesh well with me. 

I offer to have RP to people looking for contacts on the RPC that look compatible or sharing the same values as me, and have characters that stand out in a way I like. I suppose I am extremely picky, but that is also in the interest of everyone since a lot of things can just spoil the whole experience for me (mostly a question of level of power/modesty/special snowflakism, among other things).

I will however play whatever walk up I see happening when I'm RPing in public. Triaging upstream in my side the people I reach out doesn't mean I won't play the game when people walk up to my character. It actually brings some randomness into the world around and makes your feel immersed a bit more in a living world than in your own bubble. And also, I do it because it's a bit rude not to. Those players surely took upon themselves to walk up to me and friends after all. I like being open when people try to reach me out, even if I'm picky and all of that.

Problem is that a great deal of those are often lurkers or very creepy players or characters (or both), and it turns super awkward OOCly pretty soon when they can't get why my character tell them to fuck off. Well, I took it the same as in real life, I don't ignore people walking up to me, but if they do it a certain creepy way, my character will react accordingly. And if they prove the opposite, then my character will get along with it.

There is always the case where the other pleyr's RP don't mesh at all with mine and will make me cringe and ruin my experience, but that's the price to pay I guess.

I simply walk-up to players who are standing/sitting there alone. I've met some really great RPers like this and fun characters. Yeah you could meet some creeps or you could be rejected. It's a lot like fishing, though. You don't always catch something desirable. But the more often you do it the more success you'll have.

I don't need anything at all to initiate conversation or a hook; my character is a hook. Try me some time ;-)

I gotta say... I'm quite shallow. Most of the time it's based on looks. Whether it's a pretty or unique/uncommon character model, or a neat looking outfit, you got my attention. Then I might have a quick look at their search info and FC. I only really look at wikis if it's someone I've heard of before and particularly interested in or if I'm unsure how to approach. Sending a tell is usually how I go forward.

Also, I'll walk up if someone's already roleplaying and it's actually interesting. It's sometimes rare since I get a little bored by generic "I'm an adventurer from Ul'dah! What's your name?" tavern chatter. If someone's roleplay is entertaining to read and there's a definite hook for my character to get involved, you bet your arse I'll walk up, or at least send a friend request and ask for roleplay sometime later.

It's a couple things for me - which have been touched on already in the thread.

First and foremost, when bored... one of my favorite time-killers in the Quicksand is just going around checking all the Character Info blocks. Interesting ones - what catches my eye usually varies on my mood - will sometimes get me to send them a /tell commenting on it. It doesn't even always lead to RP, but the conversations that come from it are usually fun. And if RP comes from it, all the better.

Also, a hint for Character Info blocks: the auto-translate words (the ones in the colorful parentheses) all actually take up one character. It helps allow for a lot more "space" if you can use them. I list Chachan's professions, and still had space for a nice short blurb about him and how he's okay for walkups. :thumbsup:

Otherwise, most of my most recent walk-ups on my own were based off an emote that caught my attention like the info blocks. One that immediately comes to mind was a girl sitting against the pillar in the Quicksand emoting how she was just drawing sketches of people and the clothing they were wearing. I had Chachan walk by, then walk backwards and peer over her shoulder out of simple curiosity. He even got one of her sketch pages out of it!

So yeah, the general thing is just do or have something eye-catching. Deceptively simple answer, I know, but it's the best way to put it for me. :blush:

I actually get a bit nervous with walk-ups and that's the main reason why I do better with knowing someone a bit OOCLY before RPING with rhem. However, on the rare occasions that I do walk it, it's because I checked their search info and found that they somehow relate to my character.

I usually walk up to anybody. I just need to know that the character in question is IC and not afk. All it really takes is somebody sitting, walking, or targeting me somewhere to direct my character to yours. I do snipe search info from time to time, mostly looking for confirmation if your character is IC. Helps to have some kind of IC signal, like a minion or an article of gear mentioned in your post.

I never do it >.>

At least not to a complete stranger. If I have met someone before hand, she will at very least greet them.

A good chunk of it is social anxiety, which has gotten worse as of late. It is part of the reason Ritsu is as she is. I do have more social characters, but I usually am at least with one other person. Flynt even needed to catch her a few as she would avoid him IC'ly a bit. It is something I am trying to work at. But recently I just freeze up, even when people talk to me when I am not expecting it. Work inprogress >.>;;

My walkup checklist

1. You don't have any LFG mark, exiting in the middle of RP I find very rude
  2. You are IC
  3. You are alone or you are RPing something that catches my attention
  4. You are wearing non epix

That's about it for me. And I will start up RP anywhere with anyone as the fancy takes me.

Why I won't come back (sounds harsh maybe)

• You say "Oh I'm OOC atm"
  • You say "Oh queue popped"
  • You talk more OOC than IC (I'd like an IC/OOC rule of 80/20 ... ideally 100/0)
  • You answer with one word "yes", "no"
  • You don't engage back - this means you are hard work and there is no return on investing RP with you

As I said in another thread, it's usually looks that will attract Mia socially.  If a character has dark skin or white hair (preferably both) she will feel a kinship and might strike up a conversation.  Mia might also RP with someone who has facial scars, as Mia does as well.

Mia also has a long-term plot in that she's always looking for information on the whereabouts of her sisters.  It's very unlikely, impossible really, that the other character knows anything about it.  But "I don't know anything about it..." is a window of opportunity for the conversation to continue.

"How familiar are you with the Gear Wars?" :lol:

But if someone's not in the mood IC/OOCly to have much to say, or if the trafficking of Miqo'te is a little too grim, Mia (and I) will move onto others things.

My search info says NO ERP and that's an absolute for me.  If I see someone else with NO ERP in their search info, they are way more likely to get a walk-up from me.

I don't typically initiate walk-ups because...

Let's just put this in perspective that it usually takes me about an hour, sometimes two, after showing up to an RP event to actually go inside.

And sometimes about as long again to talk to someone. Okay no wait who am I kidding - almost every RP event I've attended I've left without speaking to anyone. The exceptions:

• Event I was invited to. Made my friend come with me. A waitress talked to us. That's it.

• Event for a linkshell I'm part of. Made my friend come with me. He started a conversation with me and third parties joined in.

• Open event. Someone's Xaela accidentally made eye contact with mine.

And that's in an environment where I already know that everyone is there to roleplay.

...yeah.

Initiating any conversation with strangers is a constant battle with badbrain, and it's quite difficult to be imaginative and interesting and funny when 80% of your energy is going to not running away. I don't want to bother a stranger when I can't even guarantee to myself that what I'm providing will be good.

I prefer to plot a little beforehand - so I know what kind of thing to talk about, basically. And it also means I basically have permission to bring up stuff that could influence your character's storyline (something I'm weirdly afraid of doing without permission).

Or, I don't mind it when people approach ME for walkup. As long as they don't mind a ~60 second wait on my first reply. Why? That's the time it takes me to stop panicking ("what do they want from me?? they're talking to me, right?? what do i say?? help????") and start writing.

If you want to bypass that wait... send me a tell first, ye? :'3

On that note, if we roleplayed and you enjoyed it, absolutely do not be shy about sending me a friend request afterwards; even if it was only short. It helps me remember that I met you before, and to feel more confident next time we meet. And also adds you to my list of people I scroll down when I want to RP and my usual folk are offline.