New to the Game, not new to RP!

Caelinmarie

Hello everyone! I've been lurking around the website for a few weeks now and decided it was finally time to say hi!

I am very, very new to the game. (Seriously, my character is only level 20). I played 2 days of the trial and said "Yep, gonna buy the game."

I discovered that Balmung was the place to go for RP, unfortunately it seems that it's also one of the most popular servers and that the early morning windows for character creation is no longer a thing.

So, I decided that I'll bite the bullet and get that $18 transfer. I also found out I can transfer up to 8 characters from the same server, so I made a whole bunch of alts I may or not play, and just waiting for them to grow up (72 hours I believe?) so that I can transfer them over and get the most for my money.

I am a FF fan through and through. I grew up watching my mother spend hours running around in circles in FFVII overleveling for the next boss fight. The very first game that I finished all the way through was FFX where Yuna became my role model growing up. And I never outgrew the Final Fantasy Franchise. Even enjoyed XIII the first time around. (Wouldn't play it again though)

But for some reason, when FFXI came out I stayed clear of it like the plague. Maybe it was because I had just started my MMO career with WoW at the time, but I never touched it. When I heard of FFXIV release, I did that thing that some people do where I didn't do my research and assumed it would be a bad game. I'm sorry!

Don't eat me O.o

Now, like I said, I'm super new to the game. I don't know much about the lore (Though I'm slowly studying up on it through these fourms and the like), but I'm not new to MMO's, I've played Several, WoW being the first, followed by SWTOR, GW2 Archage, Blackdesert, and others I've probably forgotten about. In every single one of them, I have been in an RP community.

I'd say that, if you're not counting childhood make believe, I've been RPing for 7-8 years now Online. I've ran a few successful RP guilds, and have so many fond memories of the past.

The thing now though, is I have not found a game since WotLK WoW that has... been consistent? I'm not sure if that's the right way to phrase it. With not only the game play, lore and etc. But with the community.

Researching FFXIV and left and right I see that the community is very tight knit, friendly and active for Balmung. I see that there's even a mutual agreement between RPers and Non-RPers that allow both communities to get along. Which is such a new concept because I've come from servers from other games where, if you RPed, you couldn't touch end game content, or those end game players would make fun of RPers and just give us a bad name all around.

Now I know there's a few exceptions to the rule, but that's what I've seen in my experience. But reading the online forums, these forums. (I know, crazy stalker lady, right?) It could be that, because it's almost mandatory to transfer into this server, there's less of that around.

Then again, I could be pulling out all of this from thin air and actually getting into the server would be a different story.... But I'd like to believe it's so!

So, big post, I know, I'm sorry. If you read it that's awesome! I'm actually quite shy, and ramble when I'm anxious. Like I said earlier, I'll be transferring over any day now. And I'm really excited to become a part of this community!

Hey there, and welcome aboard to Balmung! :thumbsup:

FFVII will always command a pretty solid place in my heart- not to mention being able to mod the hell out of the PC version and breathe some serious new life into the game. Well, at least until the remake. 

As for getting used to the lore here in FFXIV, the main storyline quest in-game will take you through a great deal of it right there, and if you have any questions, there's a ton of lore buffs around here that can help you out. If you turn into a fanatic, you can also pick up the Encyclopedia Eorzea, which at $50, is a lore-buff's silver bullet (though it can be a little hard to find being out of stock). 

I don't suppose you were on Moon Guard during the high tide of Wrath of the Lich King? 

In any case, you're certainly welcome to tap me once you make the jump over, or if you'd like some character connections or anything like that. Have you done any thinking yet on the character you'd like to main?

Hey there, and welcome aboard to Balmung! :thumbsup:

FFVII will always command a pretty solid place in my heart- not to mention being able to mod the hell out of the PC version and breathe some serious new life into the game. Well, at least until the remake. 

As for getting used to the lore here in FFXIV, the main storyline quest in-game will take you through a great deal of it right there, and if you have any questions, there's a ton of lore buffs around here that can help you out. If you turn into a fanatic, you can also pick up the Encyclopedia Eorzea, which at $50, is a lore-buff's silver bullet (though it can be a little hard to find being out of stock). 

I don't suppose you were on Moon Guard during the high tide of Wrath of the Lich King? 

In any case, you're certainly welcome to tap me once you make the jump over, or if you'd like some character connections or anything like that. Have you done any thinking yet on the character you'd like to main?

I was on Moonguard, indeed. Was on it way before the goldshire epidemic came around. Still makes me mad after all this time... *Seethe*

At first when I launched the game from the trail version I was like: "OMG what is with this global cooldown?!" Couldn't figure out the map/quest system... rage quitted until the next day, and then the next day I gave it another try and fell in love. Never had that happen before actually xD As I've been playing I'm liking the story more and more. And the side quests are entertaining! The one that's really gotten me so far is the quest to unlock the hair stylist. I couldn't stop laughing!

I haven't given much thought about my main yet. I made two characters that I'm in love with so far. The first is a Conjurer, simply because I am first and formost a healer OOC in any game I play, and she's a lot of fun to play. ...But then I made the Cat person Monjet Kaj'et Neko Miqo'te as a lancer, and she's adorable too! So I can't decide which I like more. I like healing, but ...kitty... Meow. >.<

I heard this game wasn't too friendly with alts? You can't mail to yourself, and also you get cross class abilitys if you level up multiple classes on one?

I was on Moonguard, indeed. Was on it way before the goldshire epidemic came around. Still makes me mad after all this time... *Seethe*

At first when I launched the game from the trail version I was like: "OMG what is with this global cooldown?!" Couldn't figure out the map/quest system... rage quitted until the next day, and then the next day I gave it another try and fell in love. Never had that happen before actually xD As I've been playing I'm liking the story more and more. And the side quests are entertaining! The one that's really gotten me so far is the quest to unlock the hair stylist. I couldn't stop laughing!

I haven't given much thought about my main yet. I made two characters that I'm in love with so far. The first is a Conjurer, simply because I am first and formost a healer OOC in any game I play, and she's a lot of fun to play. ...But then I made the Cat person Monjet Kaj'et Neko Miqo'te as a lancer, and she's adorable too! So I can't decide which I like more. I like healing, but ...kitty... Meow. >.<

I heard this game wasn't too friendly with alts? You can't mail to yourself, and also you get cross class abilitys if you level up multiple classes on one?

I don't suppose the words "COBRA" or "AEGIS" mean anything to you? xD The way you talked about it, it reminded me of Moon Guard during that era- it was pretty much a golden age for the game that hasn't been seen since. Those are some really good memories for me.

FFXIV took a few tries for me to get used to as well. This time is when I took the bait, hook, line and sinker all and have been playing pretty hard now for the last 2 months-ish. Wait until you get to the Hildibrand questline. That is completely hysterical, and I found myself in stitches more than once- think it kicks off around 50! Once you hit the level 50 main storyline quest, that goes full-throttle-Riker-grows-a-beard awesome. You're in for a real treat. I was yelling at the screen at one point. It's good. 

Miqo'te master race. /grunt By the way, if you haven't noticed, you can have any character be any class- so just because you chose to start as a lancer for your Miqo'te, they can swap to a totally different class anytime you like! This feature unlocks along the main storyline quest- around 15 I think? It kind of makes alts completely pointless, save for aesthetics. xD 

And you're right- you can't mail to yourself- you have to mail to another person and then have them mail it to your other character. There are cross-class skills too which means leveling up all the classes on one character has a lot of payoff (so a lancer can use some monk and archer skills for example, once you unlock and level up those classes).

I don't suppose the words "COBRA" or "AEGIS" mean anything to you? xD The way you talked about it, it reminded me of Moon Guard during that era- it was pretty much a golden age for the game that hasn't been seen since. Those are some really good memories for me.

FFXIV took a few tries for me to get used to as well. This time is when I took the bait, hook, line and sinker all and have been playing pretty hard now for the last 2 months-ish. Wait until you get to the Hildibrand questline. That is completely hysterical, and I found myself in stitches more than once- think it kicks off around 50! Once you hit the level 50 main storyline quest, that goes full-throttle-Riker-grows-a-beard awesome. You're in for a real treat. I was yelling at the screen at one point. It's good. 

Miqo'te master race. /grunt By the way, if you haven't noticed, you can have any character be any class- so just because you chose to start as a lancer for your Miqo'te, they can swap to a totally different class anytime you like! This feature unlocks along the main storyline quest- around 15 I think? It kind of makes alts completely pointless, save for aesthetics. xD 

And you're right- you can't mail to yourself- you have to mail to another person and then have them mail it to your other character. There are cross-class skills too which means leveling up all the classes on one character has a lot of payoff (so a lancer can use some monk and archer skills for example, once you unlock and level up those classes).

Yeah. I figured out that part when I got the quest text "You may now join other guilds, but ....can you master this one first? Pretty please?!"  Only I'm the kind of person who spent hours in the WoW Character select.... Can you imagine how long it took me for something as complex as Black Deserts? - Back to the point, when I create a character I think up of a quick personality and small backstory and get that bubbly feeling that you tend to get when you think "Oh my gosh, this is going to be so great!" (Though in the end it's bad and you realize you've made a terri-bad OC and need to hide your face in shame for a few days -.-) But, for the Miqo'te I made.... I don't even know if it'd fit the lore, I wouldn't dare RP it until I knew more but I envisioned her as some high-energy tribal woman from the north. (Again, I don't even know if this is a thing or some snowy mountainy land that I can substiute for it) who can be very dangerous (Queue Barbarian Rage from DnD) , but most of the time is gentle and oblivious. (In artist terms, this is my "rough sketch" of the character I'd like to play) So playing her as a healer would almost break that immersion for me.

Welcome! I also came from WoW and it was a heck of an adjustment, but I'm sure you'll figure everything out. If you ever need any help with anything, my main is Ameline Valence and my alt is Izayoi Miura (both open to RP too!).

As for your character concept, Coerthas is a snowy mountainous landscape so she could be from there? And Miqo'te are tribal anyways, especially Seekers of the Sun. Keepers of the Moon are generally more family oriented but this could be viewed as a tribe of sorts.

Yeah, that's a pretty good point too. If it doesn't make sense for the character to be that class... then there ain't much point! Still, that being said, doing the main storyline quest the first time is a blast... but you kinda have to do it on all your alts too, and that will very likely drive you insane. Choose... wisely. xD 

I may still be only a few months into the game myself, so I can't claim to be an expert by any means, but I do at least have the Encyclopedia Eorzea and can try to give you a hand with figuring out any lore you might not be clear up on!

Hello there, welcome to FFXIV! :D I hope to see you on Balmung soon!

Thank you by the way! I meant to respond to that my last post, but posting on forums at work can make you a bit distracted T.T Forgive me!

And Aegis seems vaguely familiar. It's been such a long time. Let's see... My mains back then. Evialyn - Rogue, became leader of the House of Grey. Calenne - Paladin - Co-Ran the Lordaeron Knights after League of Lordaeron disbanded way back in the day. I had a DK named Yukka, but hardly played her at all.

Welcome! I also came from WoW and it was a heck of an adjustment, but I'm sure you'll figure everything out. If you ever need any help with anything, my main is Ameline Valence and my alt is Izayoi Miura (both open to RP too!).

As for your character concept, Coerthas is a snowy mountainous landscape so she could be from there? And Miqo'te are tribal anyways, especially Seekers of the Sun. Keepers of the Moon are generally more family oriented but this could be viewed as a tribe of sorts.

That's an idea, once I transfer over to the server, mind if I PM you and brain storm? I really don't want to break lore, and I only dare bend lore when I understand it. So I want to make sure I don't become someone cringe worthy. ...Maybe I'm worrying too much about it? (I have bad experiences with the edgelord sons of Arthas with blood eyes and demon wings *shiver*)

Yeah, that's a pretty good point too. If it doesn't make sense for the character to be that class... then there ain't much point! Still, that being said, doing the main storyline quest the first time is a blast... but you kinda have to do it on all your alts too, and that will very likely drive you insane. Choose... wisely. xD 

I may still be only a few months into the game myself, so I can't claim to be an expert by any means, but I do at least have the Encyclopedia Eorzea and can try to give you a hand with figuring out any lore you might not be clear up on!

That will be so helpful. ^^ So you're a newbie too! Good, I don't feel totally alone. This is actually the first MMO (since WoW) That I've gone to, that I don't have any previous friends actively playing. It's a complete fresh start for me.

The name is familiar- I do remember the House of Grey and the League at least! I know I crossed blades with a few of them in RP-PvP encounters. I was pretty heavy Horde-side at the time leading the Shadarim and trying to be a thorn in everyone's side, but ended up good friends with the Knights of Menethil on the Alliance (somehow). xD Yulenia & Belaris were my main back then.

Seems like there's a fairly good inflow of new players here in the game, so we're far from alone- I've talked with a good few other newbies too, and there's a few new posts in the Welcome Desk pretty much every week! I'm pretty much in your boat- totally clean slate, fresh start from scratch. It's actually rather exciting.

The name is familiar- I do remember the House of Grey and the League at least! I know I crossed blades with a few of them in RP-PvP encounters. I was pretty heavy Horde-side at the time leading the Shadarim and trying to be a thorn in everyone's side, but ended up good friends with the Knights of Menethil on the Alliance (somehow). xD Yulenia & Belaris were my main back then.

Seems like there's a fairly good inflow of new players here in the game, so we're far from alone- I've talked with a good few other newbies too, and there's a few new posts in the Welcome Desk pretty much every week! I'm pretty much in your boat- totally clean slate, fresh start from scratch. It's actually rather exciting.

Oh my gosh! I nearly forgot about Knights of Menethil! I used to be a scrub in their guild, but oh man that was one of the first great RP guilds I had ever been in.

And I think Whitefire Knights, they too were a good imprint on my new status of a RPer way back in the day.

Such memories *-*

But, for the Miqo'te I made.... I don't even know if it'd fit the lore, I wouldn't dare RP it until I knew more but I envisioned her as some high-energy tribal woman from the north. (Again, I don't even know if this is a thing or some snowy mountainy land that I can substiute for it) who can be very dangerous (Queue Barbarian Rage from DnD) , but most of the time is gentle and oblivious. (In artist terms, this is my "rough sketch" of the character I'd like to play) So playing her as a healer would almost break that immersion for me.

Welcome to Eorzea and the RPC Caelinmarie! I might be able to help out on the lore front a bit. To start, I think you might find these general links helpful:

Eorzean Lore Starter Kit

-Racial Lore Compilation

-Class/Job Lore Compilation

-Hydaelyn Geography Lore

-Settlements in Eorzea Pre-Calamity

-Eorzean City-states' Political Structures Lore

-Eorzean Units of Time and Measurement Lore

As for a Miqo'te tribal barbarian from the north, I think we can cover you on that! You might actually find this other thread on possible Miqo'te character origins helpful, while I'm thinking about it. But there are Miqo'te who inhabit the northlands, from Ilsabard to Gyr Abania and Abalathia's Spine. Miqo'te have moved to and adapted to just about every region in Hydaelyn. And the northern reaches of Abalathia's mountains is place called the Farreach, home of the Hellsguard Roegadyn and birthplace of the Warrior art- something in the FFXIV universe that would probably fall most in line with Barbarians.

It is believed that for the years that encompassed the Fifth Umbral Era - or as it is also known' date=' the Age of Eternal Frost - much of the Bloodbrine Sea was frozen solid, on one hand preventing fishing and decimating the populations of sea life, but on the other, allowing for the migration of Miqo’te tribes from the southern Ilsabard into northern Eorzea - tribes made up of descendants of the very same Miqo’te who were persecuted against and driven from Eorzea by the Allagan Empire almost two millennia earlier. The newly hardened seas of this frigid era provided the tribes with a means around the massive peaks of Gyr Abania that prevented their return in the Fourth Astral Era, and while there was little awaiting them in the rime-encrusted realm when they arrived, their uncanny ability in the hunt granted them a means of survival until the frost had melted.[/quote']

On the northernmost edge of Abalathia's Spine exists a mountain tribe renowned for producing fearsome mercenaries. Known as warriors, these greataxe-wielding men and women learn to harness their inner beasts and translate that power into unbridled savagery on the battlefield.

History

The only text known to have recorded the history and techniques of the warrior is thought to have been penned more than five centuries ago. No knowledge of warriors previous to this time has ever been unearthed - the true origin of the clan's fighting style obscured beneath the dust of ages past.

No matter their beginnings, however, in the era when the city-states traded in naught but discord and strife, the mountain tribespeople who fought with the unbridled ferocity of wild beasts were highly valued ass mercenary conscripts. But despite the many victories warriors earned upon the battlefield, their esteem was tarnished by accounts of frothing berserkers lost to the red haze of carnage - tales of those who had slaughtered friend just as readily as foe. As hostilities between the nations gradually shifted towards peace, the fearsome presence of a warrior, once so welcome in times of war, became a thing to shun. And though it is said that some vestige lives on through a remote clan in Abalathia's Spine, the art of the warrior has now all but faded from the world.

Hope that helps! ^^

Hey there! :D Welcome to the game! It can be a bit intimidating to get into a game with so much lore and try to RP, but I'd be more than happy to RP with you sometime! I'm typically on Sileas Bishop in game if you're interested! She's really easy to get along with and is overly friendly!

Thank you! I'll be sure to look you up! Already I've had a couple people contact me in game. I kind of wish I didn't have to go to work today so that I could just dive right into everything! Spent a couple hours yesterday just looking through the newbie gear on the market place to find something suitable for Ki'la.

Hello Caelinmarie!!! We've chatted a few times already, but here's an official welcome to Balmung and the RPC :-D

I think you made the right decision! My experience isn't all that much different from yours, and the community and RP around Balmung and the RPC is so terrific that they've kept me in the MMO orbit when otherwise I'd have left it a while back :-]

Us Northern Ladies have to stick together!