[split] The New Wiki Is Here!

Eva

Fact checks are needed...

The point of the wiki is so we don't have to use outside links. It is for the community to use, is it not?

The decision was based on a poll that asked if we would use it, not if we approved of it, and it was said specifically that we were to vote as such, not interpret it differently.

Eva is also not a moderator on the RPC.

I'd REALLY like to see helpful suggestions on this post from this point on, rather than this back and forth on whether 30% is enough to warrant more pages. The decision, the FINAL decision, based on the requested poll is that, no, there will not be a section like PCs and NPCs added. Let's try and come up with some other way of making each other happy, rather than trying to sway people away from a decision that's already been made.

I find it really sad that a request for solutions still comes up with nitpicking.

Bottom line, it's not often that something will satisfy everyone. As Xenedra mentioned, it would be much more constructive to work at alternatives that would make both parties happy instead of arguing to have it one way or the other. Most things aren't so white and black. There are other solutions outside of the obvious to most things.

The personal attacks are really uncalled for. Posting an image calling the people who oppose your argument pieces of shit is uncalled for. That, and this delightful little tidbit:

Also: Removing the majority of your wiki page because of a little disagreement. Sure is mod material in here.

Is particularly helpful to the conversation especially when the target of said comment hasn't been a mod on these forums in some time. /sarcasm

Look, the RPC is a hub for roleplayers. So guess what? People aren't going to see eye to eye on everything. People are going to disagree. People are going to not like decisions that get made against what they would like to see from this. That goes with the territory. That's why this isn't one big RP linkshell. It's a hub, and from here, you go on and you find the RP linkshell with the group you see most eye to eye with. That's what this place is for, and I think it does a pretty good job at that.

But when you are here, you should respect others. No one should be insulting Deirdre for how she said she will be interpreting the results. I would like to think that it is fine for me to politely disagree, given how I feel the poll was worded and how the results of such were interpreted. I would like to think that we could have a discussion, whether it goes one way or the other and be able to get somewhere with it.

For all I care, Deirdre's reason for it could simply be that she's tired of working on the wiki and just doesn't have it in her to go back and make the change. She's done a lot for the wiki, and the RPC as a whole, already. That reasoning alone would be good enough for me.

But I think we should be able to have a discussion without people getting so worked up, without people posting very inappropriate images attacking the other side. I won't throw mud at your face or kick you in the kidney until you do so to me. I like to think we're adults here, and if we don't see eye to eye, we can be okay with that.

Guys. Both sides are in the wrong here. Knock it off.

The survey asked if we would use it, not if we thought it was a good idea. We voted. That's the end of it.

I don't understand why there's so much hostility over this one issue. If I was someone who was coming to the RPC and saw this mess, I'd probably turn right back around. This is getting out of hand, and over what? (RHETORICAL QUESTION)

Please, can we all just gather round the fire, sing kumbaya, and call it a day? There is no need for this.

And people, a good word of advice is to THINK before you POST. Re-read what you've written before you hit submit and ask yourself if it's incendiary. If it is, edit it. Take the extra minute and don't write while you're miffed.

/rant

I think what is needed here is a bit of redirection. I suggest we move on from discussing the results of the poll, and redirect to discussing what solutions are available to in the wake of the polls results. Creating a separate thread my aid in this process a bit, and allow us to focus on coming to a proper compromise.

I really don't care either way about whether there are pages for these characters or not. If it makes people happy, great.

But please, can we stop referring to characters that are wholly created and directed by individual players as 'Non-Player Characters' no matter what qualifiers are added to it? It's making me brainmeats leak. My suggested terminology is Background Characters. (BCs? BGCs? Either abbreviation works for me.) It's short, simple, and very clear about what it's referring to.

Aaaaaanyway, new wiki looks very nice. :moogle: Had to copy/paste and move Rhostel's page to reflect changes already made on the previous wiki, but that took less than a minute so I'm not complaining. Just making a note of it to remind others to check if any recent changes they've made haven't been carried over. :thumbsup:

I'd REALLY like to see helpful suggestions on this post from this point on, rather than this back and forth on whether 30% is enough to warrant more pages. The decision, the FINAL decision, based on the requested poll is that, no, there will not be a section like PCs and NPCs added. Let's try and come up with some other way of making each other happy, rather than trying to sway people away from a decision that's already been made.

Bottom line, it's not often that something will satisfy everyone. As Xenedra mentioned, it would be much more constructive to work at alternatives that would make both parties happy instead of arguing to have it one way or the other. Most things aren't so white and black. There are other solutions outside of the obvious to most things.

I think what is needed here is a bit of redirection. I suggest we move on from discussing the results of the poll, and redirect to discussing what solutions are available to in the wake of the polls results. Creating a separate thread my aid in this process a bit, and allow us to focus on coming to a proper compromise.

I think the issue is simply that we already know what the alternatives are. Deirdre and Xenedra gave us some options for that, and they are good ones. The options they gave, yes, they would work. So the discussion for that isn't really needed. I'm sure most people will be able to think of alternative solutions.

That and, after seeing how my original posts, which weren't rude/accusing/filled with rage or fire, so quickly escalated into a bomb fest. This was probably a feature on the wiki that I would've used once. I really wasn't wholly invested in it, I just disagreed with the reasoning and wanted to provide perhaps a different way to read the results. But after having someone repeatedly not read my posts, after Deirdre's feelings got hurt (which was 100% not what I was going for), and after people started throwing mud at each other, I'm really beyond the point of wanting to have a good discussion about it. That's what I wanted back on page 1. Now after... whatever you would call this... drama, my mood has been shot.

I frankly find this to be embarrassing for the community that things went this way, at a place where we should and inevitably will cross opinions. Had I any remote idea that something like this would've happened, I wouldn't have posted my original post. This has wholly not been worth it.

I really think this was about a lot more than the original issue being discussed. I saw some personal grudges possibly shining through that had absolutely nothing to do with anything here. I've got a separate short post I'm planning to put up by the end of the day regarding this. 'Cause frankly, we need to address the bigger issue at hand if we want to successfully deal with disagreements like this in the future.