RPC Rollback

Kylin

It's unfortunate that I have to announce this, but I figured you'd all want an update anyway.

Recently, the RPC was hacked. As a result, everything was purged by the hacker (forum posts and the entire wiki). It was restored, and then hacked again by the same individuals. Hence the reason it's been down for so long. Please note that your passwords are safe (they're encrypted, meaning even I can't see them). But if you feel the need to be extra safe, you can certainly change them.

Due to the hacking, the forums (and wiki) had to be rolled back to their most recent backup. That means any additions/changes to the wiki and any posts from the 3rd and onward were not saved. This also means new registered users from before then need to reregister. I apologize for this inconvenience. Please feel free to repost anything you may be missing. Due to some updated files, certain tiny parts of the site may be partially broken as well. But these will be fixed asap.

It is always encouraged that users have backups of their wiki profile and/or story posts in a text document on their computer. There's no telling when things like this can happen and even though backups are constantly made, the luck of the draw can translate to several days worth of content being lost.

Numerous security measures have been added to the site to ensure it is more difficult for hackers to make these attempts in the future. In addition, our server host (Hostgator) has access to the attackers ISP address and their footprints and have been aggressively looking into the matter.

Again, I'm deeply sorry for this major inconvenience.

I'm glad the site was able to recover in a decent amount of time. I enjoy checking it so much. Sad that people have nothing better to do, but we survived Dalamud we can overcome a minor setback! :)

Thank you to all parties involved in more security and the recovery.

Thanks for all the hard work! Glad our home away from home is back up and running.

Also, not sure if this is a bug or not, but the -I guess- pull down menu that gives me the links for User CP, Edit Profile, Change Avatar etc., is constantly down and won't collapse, even when I click on it or any of the options.

Thanks for all the hard work! Glad our home away from home is back up and running.

Also, not sure if this is a bug or not, but the -I guess- pull down menu that gives me the links for User CP, Edit Profile, Change Avatar etc., is constantly down and won't collapse, even when I click on it or any of the options.

It's not a bug. It's working fine for myself and several others. So it's definitely a cookie issue. Refresh your browser a couple times. If that fails, you'll need to delete cookies for this site.

I have a couple of reports regarding being unable to login due to the drop down login box not showing up. This is not an issue on the RPC's end, but rather the user's. Please delete cookies for ffxiv-roleplayers.com, restart your browser, and try again. If still having trouble, you'll probably have to wait for your computer/browser to 'catch up' or something. In the meantime, please use this page to login: http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/member.php?action=login

I know everyone's said it, but you deserve at least one more.

Thanks for your commitment and for keeping us as well-informed as you could during this issue. We all appreciate it.

It's not a bug. It's working fine for myself and several others. So it's definitely a cookie issue. Refresh your browser a couple times. If that fails, you'll need to delete cookies for this site.

Copy that. It's an issue with firefox on mac, still had the same issue after deleting cookies and refreshing/restarting several times. I'm using Safari now and it's working perfectly fine.

**edit

Yeah, firefox is having a bunch of issues. That's ok though, site is working perfectly in safari and chrome. 2/3 isn't bad ;p

Again, thanks for all the hard work Kylin and the admins!

Vareal Wrote:

I am having the same issue, though I'm not sure what 'cookies' are or how to uninstall them. But It's not a big deal I guess, it doesn't bother me that much.

Was afraid my wiki content would go lost, thank you for the roll back!

Well this certainly sucks for me. I really think I have the worst luck ever when it comes to FF online related stuff lol. I finally updated my wiki profile with my character's background and quick timeline. And now all my hard work is gone. And I didn't even make a back-up of it anywhere orz...

Oh well, c'est la vie. Time to start writing all over again. And do it more properly this time.

Just to clarify, I'm not blaming anyone here(besides the one that decided to hack this place.) The rollback was inevitable and I should have at least saved my text when I was done.

I can only echo what's already been seen and thank you for your hard work in getting the site back up!

Hopefully the person responsible gets their fair share of karma and will think again before attacking -any- community after this.

Glad to see everything got away mostly unscathed, too! Great job all round! :)

I blame you Kylin! Why would you let this happen! You probably offered the hackers cookies and a hug when they came in to wrecked the place! :frustrated:

All the while the rest of us are outside, in the cold, with no shoes on, trying to figure out what happened!

9gSQg1i_q2g

(Kylin, we love you!)

Those of you who had issues with the login box dropping down or the profile menu staying down, the issue should be fixed now after a page refresh. It seems the security update snuck in an altered javascript file that got rid of my edits to it. Sneaky bastards :x

Those of you who had issues with the login box dropping down or the profile menu staying down, the issue should be fixed now after a page refresh. It seems the security update snuck in an altered javascript file that got rid of my edits to it. Sneaky bastards :x

Yeah, it's all good now ^^ Thanks a lot, Kylin!

Yes indeed, it is all fixed sir. Thank you! :thumbsup:

and I deleted my cookies for you T^T