Dev Blog: Getting in Character

Blade

New shots from the dev blog showing updated character creating goodness!

May 17, 2013

Hey guys!

Fernehalwes here.

We've received a two-tonze truckload of feedback on character creation since the alpha test, and from what I saw in today's build, much has changed since then. If you thought there were a lot of options before, wait until you see all the new ways to customize your avatar, including...

An extended hair color palette, plus a plethora of playful tattoos.

[align=center]JP20130517_1.jpg[/align]

Several new hairstyles for men...

[align=center]JP20130517_2.jpg[/align]

Several new hairstyles for women, including...OMG! Long hair options! And is that a SLIDER on the right for ear size!?

[align=center]JP20130517_3.jpg[/align]

And a slider for height!? What else could there be a slider for!?!??

[align=center]JP20130517_4.jpg[/align]

And purple whiskers!? And purple eyes!?

[align=center]JP20130517_6.jpg[/align]

And OH MY GOD MY EYES THE RED IT BURNS!

[align=center]JP20130517_5.jpg[/align]

Get ready to let your imagination run wild!

Fernehalwes.

Awesome! More options, more diversity. Although I still feel a color wheel would have been a little more beneficial, those swabs do seem to have more color options than before. And those hair styles! Awesome! Can't wait to play with the character creation!

This is awesome. So much more customization. I'm looking forward to seeing people's characters.

The height slider is great, but I wish they would add in a number for the height as well, so you can get the exact height you want instead of just trying to guess.

Hmm...this might require another character height comparison...

I was pondering over that too. If the average/min/max are all the same, than the results from our first study should be consistent, but that will need to be tested. Though I think someone had some clever ideas for whipping up a nice'n'easy graphic to display the whole thing so another round of screencapping might happen. I suppose it's also possible that the same 5 options are now just on a slider instead of a text selection. I suppose we'll find out for sure soon enough.

What really piques my interest is that it looks like there is a TON of hairstyles to choose from now, going by that second screenshot and the fact that the 12 styles in focus may take up only 15-20% of the available options~

This is awesome. This is beyond awesome. But it's also kind of depressing. I thought I knew what I wanted to look like, but now with all these options I have to spend at least two extra hours in the character creator... and I have a new character idea so that's like four hours. 

I'll be sure to RP with you guys in a year when I'm done exploring all my character appearance options. 

:?

What really piques my interest is that it looks like there is a TON of hairstyles to choose from now, going by that second screenshot and the fact that the 12 styles in focus may take up only 15-20% of the available options~

If that's true, we're looking at as many as 72 hair styles available to any given character, which might actually be possible if they made it so that many of them aren't race exclusive. We've already seen one of the Miqo'te hairstyles available for the Roeg males, so it's not like there isn't a precedent.

This is soooo exciting!

I can't believe there's so many hairstyles from the looks of that screenshot! That's amazing news. x)

I'm really interested to see the male Lalafell ones. And the female ones. I've never been tempted to make another character until I saw the long hair on that female Roegadyn...

Oh dear.