RPC Mentorship Program ( Archive )

Gerik

This is a good idea. Throw my name in the hat for mentoring. Hell, throw me in for a hand full of 'em. I will teach the goddamned class from now, until forever.

^ Listen to this man.

It feels weird to give someone a glowing recommendation when I've never actually RP'd with them, but literally any time I've had a question about RP since I joined the forum he's the guy I've gone to. Whether it's lore, advice on how my character would fit into the world, or just basic feedback on an idea.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

~Raises hand~ I also, would like to be a mentored by someone! I think I have a decent grasp on main RP elements, but there are still a hand full of questions I have that I would love to have answered! Thank you for the time :blush::love:

Get.

Sounds like a great idea. How can I say no to help when I have no real rp experience. This should help me get used to things quick and proper.

In.

You're both mine as well.

This is a great idea! I feel like I have much to learn still about role-playing. Please sign me up as a mentee.

You too. Straggler.

I wouldn't mind a helping hand. By far I haven't gotten to RP yet and it feels so intimidating... So, a friendly soul coaxing me in would be appreciated ^^ Currently I'm waiting for the next beta weekend as one wasn't enough to finalize my character...

Yeah, I was kind of hoping everyone would keep 1-2 people at the max.

Be.

Shuck! Jeesh! Share! :P There are some of us that want to help with none at all, and you have like, 5!

Faster.

Honestly, I'm just snatching up the indecisive ones/stragglers, and I cannot be stopped.

But yeah, my roster's full for the time being. We'll get a few cranked back out there, and then I'll take more. Give it like a week and a half, tops.

Hear that? You have a exactly 5.25 days from right now to accumulate students. Otherwise, my legion will eclipse yours, and the thunderous cacophony of our march will drown out your cries and pleas for mercy.

I already have a mentee, so I won't be greedy, but don't forget Nhyra. I don't want her request for a mentor to be lost in the flood of posts. :)

Wait, I missed one?

I wouldn't mind a helping hand. By far I haven't gotten to RP yet and it feels so intimidating... So, a friendly soul coaxing me in would be appreciated ^^ Currently I'm waiting for the next beta weekend as one wasn't enough to finalize my character...

Door's open to you over here.

My door is always open.

Always.

Shuck! Jeesh! Share! :P There are some of us that want to help with none at all, and you have like, 5!

You can help me! ^^ I am already to be working with Mtote, but the more people helping the faster I can get up to speed :P

...and since I think I'm going to be maining a Mi'qote, you can dispense all your feline wisdom on me! Like... how does one keep their tail from getting shut in doors? When people in Eorzea ask 'what's the matter, cat got your tongue?' shall I, as a Mi'qote, be offended??

I have so many purrfect questions!!

I've a good grasp of RP myself, and I don't mind mentoring people too, but I'd personally like someone to teach me the very basics of the lore and how the RP community does things. I've actually looked up the history already (thank you to the people who summed up the 1.0 storyline!) But I'm looking for stuff like interspecies/factional interactions and such. There's not a lot given there.

If this is the wrong place to put this request, um... I RPed somewhat well for about 10 years, so I can probably mentor someone!

I would like a mentor.

I've ran guilds, created stories, developed characters, played a lot of D&D, and I still think I need a lot of roleplay work.  

Medium/Heavy RP mostly, but I'm flexible.

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/wiki/index.php?title=Dengo <-- That's Dengo (Traye Dengo currently, though, first name is mostly just filler. I'm trying to decide on Chett or Huxley, though, no one will really know him by his first name IC.)

I think it might be better if the mentees were to choose their mentors, instead of the other way around. (Actually, I think that's mostly how it was intended to work in the first place) Having one person picking up all the mentees just because they're quicker at it isn't exactly fair to the newbies who I feel deserve more one on one attention than a mentor with seven or so mentees can provide.

I think it might be better if the mentees were to choose their mentors, instead of the other way around. (Actually, I think that's mostly how it was intended to work in the first place) Having one person picking up all the mentees just because they're quicker at it isn't exactly fair to the newbies who I feel deserve more one on one attention than a mentor with seven or so mentees can provide.

An event in which mentors and mentees meet, intermingle some, joke, laugh, cry, etc., would allow ppl a chance to get to know each other, and make informed decisions on who they think they will work well with. Just my two cents :P

It's really a matter of who can handle the most. I mean, being faster and grabbing the most students isn't necessarily the right way to go about it (while being hilarious from a third party perspective), but I don't think it's wrong either if Shuck can handle it. As long as he can dedicate the time and patience into working with all of them, why not let him go for it? Some people may be able to put more on their plates than others. I don't necessarily think he should be stealing students from other mentors, but some mentors might have a different teaching method or schedule and will only be able to handle one or two at a time. That being said, I think everyone should at least get one student or it'll turn into Professor Shuck's Roleplaying 101 Class.

But really, if he can handle it, he can handle it. He clearly has the enthusiasm.

On the note about students choosing their mentors. This is valid I suppose, but most people that are new to RP don't really know which direction they want to go in. In my opinion, introducing them to one initially and letting them decide if they want to stick with it or go to another mentor is the way to go about it.

Just some thoughts.

I agree with Ellie.  Gerik's edited the OP to post links to each of the mentor's "summary" posts, and those seeking a mentor can kind of peruse them and see who has a similar style, RP's in a similar fashion, or has a character with a similar sort of background.  It might be worthwhile to add an even briefer summary (maybe like 6 or 7 words about the mentor that can be added to the link) that sort of summarize the summary, as it were.

But I think it makes a lot more sense for those seeking a mentor to choose for themselves from the pool of available mentors.

It might be worthwhile to add an even briefer summary (maybe like 6 or 7 words about the mentor that can be added to the link) that sort of summarize the summary, as it were.

That's fair. I can agree on that.

I'd like to clarify what I said earlier, also. I didn't mean to imply that every student should be forced into whatever mentor snags them. What I meant was that once they've been snagged there's no binding agreement that says they can't leave and go to another mentor if they don't like the RP style of their current mentor.

I don't have an official mentor though and I'm not seeking one currently, so feel free to ignore everything I say :P

What makes you think I've rented out a lecture hall? PM's are pretty one-on-one. Also, the "be faster" bit was obviously a joke. It's absurd humor. See, because that can't possibly be the only determining factor. That's what makes it funny.

Anyway, I just genuinely enjoy answering questions and offering advice. That's why I contacted as many as I did. Is that honestly a problem? If so, please, just let me know.

I agree with Ellie.  Gerik's edited the OP to post links to each of the mentor's "summary" posts, and those seeking a mentor can kind of peruse them and see who has a similar style, RP's in a similar fashion, or has a character with a similar sort of background.  It might be worthwhile to add an even briefer summary (maybe like 6 or 7 words about the mentor that can be added to the link) that sort of summarize the summary, as it were.

But I think it makes a lot more sense for those seeking a mentor to choose for themselves from the pool of available mentors.

There's some pros to this, sure. But there's a big, glaring con as well:

Picking someone similar to you when it comes to roleplaying sensibilities is dandy for actually playing, but not as great for learning. It doesn't offer a fresh perspective, simply because you'll agree far, far too often. The student, for my experience, just doesn't gain as much from those interactions, and the teacher is never forced to re-evaluate their method or their message, which leads to stagnation.

There's my thoughts on that.

That being said, I think everyone should at least get one student or it'll turn into Professor Shuck's Roleplaying 101 Class.

I don't see a problem with this. (Hint: This is a facetious statement.) So, I say to the other Mentors: Stop letting me run train on you, and grab some of these people who are just sitting here, and have been for a little while, with no one to teach them. Seriously.

There's some pros to this, sure. But there's a big, glaring con as well:

Picking someone similar to you when it comes to roleplaying sensibilities is dandy for actually playing, but not as great for learning. It doesn't offer a fresh perspective, simply because you'll agree far, far too often. The student, for my experience, just doesn't gain as much from those interactions, and the teacher is never forced to re-evaluate their method or their message, which leads to stagnation.

Agree to disagree. I'm still inclined to think that there would be a great deal more constructive feedback from someone who has actually RPed in a similar style or engaged in similar interactions as what the student is looking to do - more specific questions can be answered with greater accuracy based on past experiences in RP by a similar-minded RPer or similar character. There are plenty of alternative perspectives here on the RPC which can be solicited as well. But were I a student at any discipline looking for a mentor, I would want someone who held a similar mindset or similar views and still afforded a wonderful opportunity to learn. So I respectfully disagree with you on this point.