RPC Mentorship Program ( Archive )

Gerik

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a good idea. Throw my name in the hat for mentoring. Hell, throw me in for a hand full of 'em. I will teach the goddamned class from now, until forever.

Bits and bobs:

Shuck is the name I'm going by on the forums, I'm 25, and have a history of employment in the interactive software development industry (nothing fancy, I was a debugger, which is like...a half-step above basic QA). I've been playing make-believe since about 13-ish, via tabletop and as time and technology improved, I just kind of carried the hobby with me. I tend toward realism/low-fantasy/whatever you might call the available technology in XIV. I'm on EST, and typically available on Skype (PM/Email me for that). Even when I'm not at home, the phone'll make noise when I get a message, and I'll get back to you ASAP.

My thoughts on roleplaying: I firmly believe that it's a hobby for anyone who wants to bother. There's a misconception floating about that roleplayers are inherently exclusionary, elitist, and generally a gaggle of repressed, developmentally arrested adult babies. While that's certainly true of some people who end up roleplaying, I've never believed it to be the norm. I'd like to provide a counter-example to that entirely too vocal minority.

What I might offer you, the prospective mentee (say that word out loud, it sounds weird): Not only the same kinds of lore-checks, character creation assistance, and general writing tips that other mentors might, but I will do this with the patience of a rock, and the obsessive tenacity of a wikipedia editor.

I am willing to work with you for as long as it takes to get your shit to where you want it to be.

As.

Long.

As.

It.

Takes.

So yeah, hit me up.

I can totally be a mentor :D if you need anymore that is

*Editing with information....oooooo*

IRL:

Lesse, I teach 3 year olds a day care (the older kids during summer), I'm 29 and reside in Virginia. I love to draw, paint and arts 'n crafts in general. I'm an avid reader (I'm currently reading 3 or 4 books). My work schedule is flexible M-F but I'm pretty much always available Sat. and Sun. Right now I work 6:30am EST to 4:30pm MWF and 6:30 to 2:30 on T and 6:30 to 3:30ish on Th (awesome isn't it??) SO i'm available to help out after 5 everyday somedays a little earlier.

RP Style: I'm pretty flexible RP wise. Sometimes I RP a lot, sometimes very little. My rp topics are pretty much random and I tend to go with the flow. I don't shy away from combat rp, though I don't have much practice with it.

Also added a rather extensive blurb briefly detailing Eva as a character and the playstyle I strive for, and also outlining briefly what sort of RPers might most benefit from my advice.  I'm always happy to answer any questions though!

This sounds fun~

I'd be willing to mentor one or more minions newbies.

About me:

I started RPing in MMO's nearly a decade ago (lolz). I started light RP in Everquest Online Adventures and then moved into heavy RP in Final Fantasy XI, where I resided for 5-6 years. I also led two successful RP shells during that time period, and as a result was privy to just about every type of OOC drama in RP existence. My RP itself evolved quite a bit over time, though I've always been the type to 'accidentally' create "epic" style stories that drag in surrounding players. This time, I'm placing an emphasis more on character interactions and personal growth moreso than epic stuff though.

When XIV was announced, I established this site (formally known under the name "Castiel") with help from my FFXI Sylph RPer buddies and it gained momentum after a very careful marketing strategy that included gradual recruitment of all the scattered FFXI RP groups first. As an admin here, I've seen just as much craziness as I did back in FFXI's RP political world. Some of the oldies may remember that I unfortunately had a public "meltdown" of sorts sometime in 2011 I think :blush: . Regardless, it made me that much stronger in the end and it was a necessary personal journey for me.

In terms of my RP in XIV, I started out with the Order of the Stormguard. I heavily invested myself in this, so imagine my sadness when it disbanded and threw my character concept for a loop. I then transitioned to Outer Heaven after being approached by Seraphine, and that proved to be a fascinating endeavor. Unfortunately, it too wasn't meant to last due to internal problems. I did however have many fond memories here and am still very proud of the "epic" RP storyline I planned out within the shell and the super fun events that went with it. Once Outer Heaven dissolved (and the loss of several key characters/friends), I was further lost and my character seemed to be going nowhere. I attempted my own RP shell called Archavalon, but due to the game's condition and the shortage of RPers, I could only keep it afloat for about 6 months.

I thus kind of remained a "freelancer" of sorts (though I carried a Crystalline pearl, but at the time, the shell was not heavily used as a primary RP shell by others). I continued my epic storyline via public events that were quite successful, thanks to the support of the awesome community. This storyline helped me eventually "reboot" my character in an IC way. By killing off House Mavanix through an extensive and overly devious plotline, and by revealing a twist that my character and his father were actually Felstars, I was able to free myself from self-created shackles and kind of hit a reset button of sorts without impacting any past experiences. I'm quite proud of this accomplishment, since I managed to avoid any actual retcons.

I have three primary characters (and numerous "NPCs"). My primaries are: Kylin Felstar, Elza Ashfen (Kylin's sister), and Zarik Sylvora. You can read up on their wiki profiles for detailed information (or hit me up with a PM/tell, seeing as I looove talking about RP stuff). Elza will actually be played a bit more than Kylin at first, due to her personality being able to capture more RP opportunities with newbies and oldies alike. Zarik is a yet to be introduced character and will largely take a back seat at first to Kylin and Elza.

In terms of RP style, I consider myself "heavy." I don't talk too much about OOC stuff (unless it's RP related). My style is also focused on what's "realistic" (realistic within the bounds of a fantasy universe where magic and monsters exist that is) with an emphasis on freedom of creativity at the same time. I prefer to focus on RP over game related things (though I try to often find ways to incorporate game stuff into events, such as modifying an instance/boss fight to meet the needs of an event). My character is level 50 in only two jobs, despite my playing non-stop since 1.0's beta. As such, my knowledge in game mechanics may not be on par with some of the other oldies. However, I feel I make up for that with my extensive experience in RP related matters.

My biggest pet peeve: Vanishing characters/players. If I am to commit to someone as a player/character and commit to their story, I expect the same in return. That said, some people may find that the game isn't for them. Or may have real life matters that take priority and pull them from the game for a long period of time. All I ask is to be notified of this if you're involved with me in any form and be given the chance to create a RP explanation to one's absence in order to give some form of "closure" to my characters. I in turn would do the same in a similar situation.

My time zone is Eastern (US). My play time varies based on my work schedule, though you will rarely ever see me online post 11pm ET unless there's a major event or major RP happening.

I can't think of much else right now. I'll answer any questions though :) . Looking forward to having some newbies under my wing to impart my wisdom onto :geek:

Sure. :)

I go by Aysun, as she is my main in some form in all settings I've been in since I started RPing. I've been RPing for around 9 years in some form online, but I am unfamiliar with "classic" RP settings such as D&D. Mine's all been text-based. I actively RP'd for 2 years in XIV, since launch. I played XI for years but never was interested in RPing there for some reason. As far as MMOs go.. that's it. Once I started XIV in open beta, I developed intense loyalty to the game and have not left once.. other than being forced to when it went down!

I've been in a variety of shells, from casual to hardcore, and definitely consider myself more on the heavy/hardcore side these days. I love to be in character, even when doing actual game activities if possible. I like a gritty, realistic-feel to my RP, while still remembering the magical fantasy lore we have to work with. I like to write, and am an active journal-keeper through Aysun when I can (which means I can't at the moment!).

I am a CST/CDT (whatever it is at the moment) player, and am most often on Skype when I get home from work at around 4pm. I am usually not online after 9pm during the week. Send a message my way if you'd like!

This looks like a lot of fun actually! I've been text-rping in forums and games a little bit but have never gone past that to actually creating a wiki for my character nor tracking his development over many years.

It'd be awesome if someone could guide me, especially since my character come 2.0 will be a youngling who wasn't old enough to understand what was going on 5 years ago.

This looks like a lot of fun actually! I've been text-rping in forums and games a little bit but have never gone past that to actually creating a wiki for my character nor tracking his development over many years.

It'd be awesome if someone could guide me, especially since my character come 2.0 will be a youngling who wasn't old enough to understand what was going on 5 years ago.

"Someone", you say? Well, congratulations. Non-specific requests for help tend to be my domain. You're mine, now.

I would love to have a mentor. i am a total final fantasy newb. :blush:

Gerik- You are amazing, great idea!

Fuck it, you too.

We are gonna get your everything hammered right out, come hell, high water, or crazy mouth tornado from the stars. (That's an Azathoth joke.)

I suppose I could throw my hat into the ring for this.

I'm Merri. I've been with the RPC since well before XIV's original run had launched. Stuck through the game for the most part (Save for the rare occasional break here and there. Never going over a few weeks.) IRL, I'm nothing terribly exciting. 22 years old, recently moved halfway across the US to live in a house full of fellow XIV-obsessed nerds. Unemployed at the moment, which is very exhilarating.  /cough

In-character

I play a former Garlean (nationality only, not military) who migrated to Eorzea at a young age due to certain circumstances. He's an adventurer at his core, but also a talented Magitek engineer with almost two decades of daily experience under his belt. He's incredibly optimistic about everything he does, and will drag just about anyone off on a grand adventure if they show even the faintest hint of interest in the idea. Even after five years in stasis after the battle of Carteneau's end, he's already eager and excited to take in everything new Eorzea has to offer. You can find out more about him here if that suits your fancy.

Whenever I do find myself in-character, I'm always there 100%. Immersion is a big thing for me, so I do my best to just dig in as best as I can. I'm open to most things, though, and will work with pretty much anyone to get something going so long as I'm comfortable with it.

In-game

I'm very much into PvE and will most likely be heavy into PvP come 2.0 launch. I'm a min-maxer for the most part. I like making my character as efficient as possible. As far as 1.0 goes, I had every disciple of war and magic to 50, as well as all seven jobs fully unlocked. I never got heavy into crafting or gathering, and as such my only 50 crafting discipline was Armorer. I more or less completed everything the game had to offer in terms of endgame, sans Ifrit Extreme and Van Darnus Hard Mode. While I never finished my first relic, I got pretty close.

I'm also absolutely obsessed with the lore of XIV, and have pretty much crammed as much of it into my head as I possibly could. If there's a question about Eorzea, I'll either have it tucked away in my head, in one of my many text files, or at my fingertips with a proper search.

Naturally, I'm going to be busy with quite a few things come the launch of ARR, but even during 1.0 I did my best to make time to help out anyone who asked. I plan to carry over that mindset to 2.0.

So, if anyone feels courageous enough, grab my tail and hold on tight. It'l be a wild ride for sure.

~

"Someone", you say? Well, congratulations. Non-specific requests for help tend to be my domain. You're mine, now.

~

Fuck it, you too.

We are gonna get your everything hammered right out, come hell, high water, or crazy mouth tornado from the stars. (That's an Azathoth joke.)

I have a feeling this will be the start of a wonderful curse.

I would love to have a mentor. i am a total final fantasy newb. :blush:

Gerik- You are amazing, great idea!

Fuck it, you too.

Perfect! Thank you!

You know, in the interest of making friends... it would be cool if several of us mentors and mentees met up in game as an OOC meet n greet, maybe get some lore questions answered, and have a few practice rp dry runs.

Who knows, maybe we could even create a mentor based LS to kind of organize this happy little project :)

You know, in the interest of making friends... it would be cool if several of us mentors and mentees met up in game as an OOC meet n greet, maybe get some lore questions answered, and have a few practice rp dry runs.

Who knows, maybe we could even create a mentor based LS to kind of organize this happy little project :)

That sounds like a lot of fun ^_^

Omg... chrono cross is my fav game of all time :D love that siggy

Issac will work to make you civilized people for

As.

Long.

As.

It.

Takes.

Shuck has been/is my mentor in all game and RP scenes.

I have a feeling this will be the start of a wonderful curse.

Aahaha!

...You have no idea.

Omg... chrono cross is my fav game of all time :D love that siggy

Yeah I love the game too especially the music haha.