RPC Mentorship Program ( Archive )

Gerik

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Format ripped from this guy here. (Thanks!)

Since I'm not actually in game, I'm doing a bit of research to try and figure out what I want to play. Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated. Since I'm signing up to be a mentee, if there are any Mentors that want to take me under their wing to coach me in the ways of the FF14 world through PMs or whatever, that'd be great. August 27 will be around soon enough.

--MMORPG background

Neverwinter - It opened a few months ago. It's decent, but underwhelming.

--RP experience

Seven-ish years playing Neverwinter Nights (not to be confused with the Neverwinter MMO that I mentioned above). I roleplayed dozens of characters on various persistent worlds, some characters lasted several years and others lasted several minutes.

--Character ideas/info

-Races: 

--Lalafell: I really like the naming convention of the Lalafell race, but I'm not sure I want to run around as a Precious Moments doll. 

--Elezen: The Elezen seem pretty interesting, but their naming is...eh. 

--Miqo'te: Miqo'te seem good, but I think there are a lot of them. 

--Roegadyn: Roegadyn are awesome, but I have this idea in my head about character physiology syncing up with the class, and I tend to stray away from the brute classes.

--Hyur: These guys seem to be your basic run-of-the-mill generics.

-Classes:

I can't decide how much research I want to do into this aspect. I really, really enjoy seeing things for the first time as I'm playing them. But if I were to research, I might get a clearer idea of what's right for me. My top choices at a glance:

--White Mage: I tend to play healers in most games (in all the older FF games, I try to make the White Mage the lead role).

--Dragoon: What can I say? They're a staple to the FF universe.

--Archer (Bard is the upgrade, right?): I like the tactical aspect of being a ranged fighter, choosing the best spot to attack from and so on.

--Black Mage: These guys are always fun to play.

--How did you learn about the coalition?

Google is my friend.

--What kind of a role-player are you aiming to be? Light, medium, or heavy?

I'm a medium/heavy RPer. I lean toward medium, because I do enjoy party chatter so long as it's distinguishable from IC chat.

--Anything from real life you're comfortable with sharing?

Nothing yet.

So I am putting a little blip here because I am trying to make a character that escapes my normal bounds of characters (sell swords and mercenaries) since this type of idea never seems to generate me any kind of rp around it. I normally suck basically at being a sword for hire :P

So what I am looking for I guess is help making a combat capable character that could be seen out on adventurers but is an armor smith or miner as his main stay profession. This is really hard for me >.>

MMO/RP experience:

I've been rping in many games (WoW, Swtor, Aion, Rift, and smaller MMOs like Neverwinter and DDO) as well some on forums in genre's like Cowboy bebop, ME, League of legends, etc. This has all taken me about 2 to 3 years to do. My main experience is in roleplaying noble knights, protectors, and silent drifters. My most recent adventures have been in Gw2, I played a silent mercenary that had been crippled from the destruction of his wardens (yes he was a sylvari) and I played a mad minded Asuran inventor that kept doing lots of research on dragon corruption however this character was not combat capable and just ran from combat situations.

What I am looking for?

I want help combining these two ideas into a wildwood Elezen that I want to be sociable but yet value time alone. I want him to be combat capable and experienced in combat but not have it as his main profession. I would prefer something that is not a pure mage and would prefer melee specialty ( I like to combine game mechanics with Rp to try best to create a very visible idea of what my character is in-game and in rp).

Reasons for asking for help/mentor:

I want help to create a believable character within lore bounds that has reasonable skills without being too...powerful or anything of that sort. I need help programming believable weaknesses that aren't as extreme as in my previous characters. As well I would like someone to discuss and learn lore with because I always learn it better if I have someone to help me along the way.

Miscellaneous Info:

• I will be playing on Gilgamesh since some RL friends will be rolling there and they do not like Legacy stuff.
  • I have no experience really with FFXIV: ARR lore even though I've read a lot of the main FFXIV site.
  • I will be looking through the mentor list when I get a little more time to do stuff and didn't waste most of my time updating my stuff on the site. :P
  • I am on that line between a heavy and medium rper.
  • I am in the U.S PST time zone ((GMT -7:00))

Server: Balmung

You can find my introduction here, which should give a run down on myself and my experiences in RP:

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=2715&pid=33335#pid33335

I tend to be fairly self sufficient having been playing MMOs and RPing for the bulk of my life, there really isn't anything I struggle with anymore. I'm mostly looking for someone to assist with ironing out a character concept and finding a good "guild". Some basics about what I'm working with concept wise, Hyur gladiator currently residing in Ul'dah but originally hailing from Garlemald. Any assistance with fleshing this out to be lore friendly would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Good morning Eorzea! 

I come to you in a time of uncertainty.  For as I write this very note, I have hopefully signed into the correct building for my 10:30am appointment.  There are very little signs and no Office Directory can be found.  This morning, I mistakenly forgot to add grounds to the coffee machine (aka The Fountain of Youth) and am not quite sure where I am.  However, all is not lost, for I found a semi-comfortable seat near a water fountain and bathroom.  I am bathing in the motherly-warm hum of an aging fluorescent light.  Guidance on this matter is not what I seek.  Instead, I am humbly requesting the mentorship of an unlicensed professional in the roleplaying art!

I discovered this community from the signature advertisements on the official testing message boards.  Long story short:  I’m tired of being surrounded by cold, lifeless, MMO players.  They look like their eyes have glazed over.  FFXIV has a rich lore and beautiful setting- I greatly want to make the most out of it!  Haven’t played something this rich in ages.  But, back to business:

Mission Statement:  The grandest of adventures- to have as much fun as possible and find lots of treasure! 

Me:  Name's Jack.  I’m 29.  EST time zone.  Number cruncher.  Hide in a cubicle all day and yell at people so they will, for goodness sake, leave me alone to do my work.  Although this one time- I once found an unoccupied room on another floor... hadn’t been touched in ages!  Bribed the night janitor for the key to unlock it (made up an excuse like I was transitioning a team or something there) and moved in.  Two weeks.  Two weeks of silence and glory.  Still went to meetings and showed up from time to time.  Would talk to myself loudly while walking through the main office area so others could acknowledge my presence.  When my manager found out, I was reprimanded and the locks were changed.  To this day, I don’t know who told him.  Freeloading bastards.

I haven’t played on RP servers before... but I have tried to deliver pizza to War of Emperium (gvg) factions in Ragnarok Online for years.  Didn't work so well.  Played FFXI for a year back when PS2 first launched.  Played RO for yeeearrrsss and recently TERA. 

It is 11:15 and nobody has come for me yet, so here's a quick character backstory I threw together in this morning's traffic.

http://pastebin.com/Pv8Ghui5

It is lunchtime now.  Survived the meeting.  If you are reading this, then I must have successfully arrived home.  Thank you again for your time, hope to see you all in game!

I'd love for someone to help me get used to MMO RPing!

Also; someone to help develop my characters as well. I'm always horrible at coming up with backgrounds/lore whatnot for any of my characters. I've got personalities and how they will evolve, but not much else!

And the Idea of a "blind date" would be interesting... Especially for my Miquo'te... hurhurhur.

I've got two characters. Both on Balmung.

Niricko Uldess, Female Duskwight Elezen

Fate Lhas, Male Keeper of the Moon Miquo'te

I shall do it! Assuming you have not found anyone else already. >.>

None the less! PM me your questions and I shall be happy to answer them.

Hey guys!

Considering my lack of knowledge of the FFXIV RP world, it would be nice to have some help with getting to know the community as well as getting some help with developing my character!

If you would like to get in touch with me, my Skype is hakuro.de.killer .

Thank you very much!

I want to HALP!!!

Well..If I can... I mean...

So this is more of a half way thing? I am familiar with the game, but NOT TOO familiar with it (though Beta P2 and P3 have got me about Grid and Uldah pretty well) But what I don't know I research and find out the answers. 

However, I Like to think I am pretty awesome at RP and helping others find there own niche. If you don't mind having haphazard tales of getting lost in Eorzea and fun learning experience of figuring stuff out together, I am game for helping those that want to become more active or more spur of the moment in their RP. If that makes sense? 

Maybe not?? Idk... But I figured I would toss My RP services out there! ♥

That being said just in case...:

"Aah..Hello! Ah'm Abaigeal Though most call me Abai. Ah'm well..as ye can see Ah'm a bit tall and most mistake me for a boy in armor. Ah don't let it bother me too much, oh...fine...maybe just wee bit. Ah'm Highander and not from around these parts. Ye can ask me about it if ye like...though ye may just scratch yer head and think Ah'm blasted.

Hmm..Oh! Ah'm a sword dancer!! That's one of me fun quirks. Kind of how Red became me best friend. Ah...generally make friends where ever Ah go. Its just me nature. Ah'm pretty happy go lucky...unless ye royal tick me off. Then Hells hath no fury!!

Oh...Um...er...re-relationships...AH..er...that is...Ah'm trying to figure meself out before Ah can see me self with anyone..Not that Ah'm apposed to relationships..just..er..Well..Things take time! 

Other then that Ah can fluster easily...more in the embarrassed sort of way. But Ah don't let that stop me! Ah sometimes say the first thing out me mouth....

Er..Oh! OH!! And Ah'm patient!! Ah am very Patient!! Ah'm sort of one that has a as Red teases me about some times Mother duck complex...which can get me into trouble of its own. But its not bad! 

So..er..Hi? Oh twelve Ah ready said that didn't Ah!?"

Wouldn't mind being a mentor myself...RP wise would be great to show people the ropes. Lore wise...eh I think I'd need to be a mentoree in that department. Either way, I'm up for teaching or learning! If being a mentor is needed most I'll go do that, but I personally wouldn't mind be taught. Even with the old man character of mine.

You learn something new every day right? So feel free to PM me anything having to do with RPing..can even have Barios in game show some youngins' how things are done.

Now that I've gotten more of a footing with the game and I am finding the lore easily I can be a mentor.

If anyone wants some help I am able to do so! Just PM me! :chocobo:

I've been rping for a long time and in many MMOs. If you come to me know I am a heavy rper and will be giving you the perspectives of such as well I've always rped in MMOs so that may affect my help as well.

I believe I am friendly and approachable!

I guess I'll throw my hat into the ring as a potential mentor. I apparently know a lot about the ARR main scenario quest and miqo'te lore, which surprises me because "loremaster" isn't a term I usually associate with myself. :) What I can offer is a lot of experience in RP and someone who's very willing to RP (and drag you along into RP). I also may have an LS in play for launch, though I'm still working out the details on that and determining if I really have the time to devote to it. I'm also very keen on RP dungeoneering and questing, so if that's your interest, even better.

So, if you're interested, feel free to poke me with a PM and we'll work something out.

Anyone mentors around Gilgamesh want to help me out, possibly talk outside of game if need be until phase 4 starts? Would love to be in Balmung but have all my friends in Gilgamesh.

My knowledge of RP is essentially what the handbook on these forums discusses, lol.

I'm not really looking for a true mentor; but I could use someone(s) to be a sounding board.

I work a lot better when I have someone who is actively giving me constructive criticism and offering inputs of their own.

They'd be helping with everything from character race, look, basic concept, and even wordplay when I finally get everything set in stone. I'd prefer someone whose willing to tell me when something is boring, lame, or overly cliche; while giving ideas on how to improve. 

I'd also be willing to do the same for someone else, if that's something you feel you'd like.

Hit me up via PM if you're interested.

Hello.

Me, JJDunn and M'risha are currently in a mentorship relation i guess you call it with M'risha listed as the mentor, however in its current form its more of a mutualistic symbios or something where we all help eachother with inputs so on and so forth.

Anyhow, the reason im posting even if i am listed as the mentee(?) We would gladly take in people that would either wanna just rp with us possibly through pre-release established relations, whether its friends or family or likes the concept along those lines and wants to learn with and by us. Its not a linkshell i don't think its planned to be, just a us 3 so far that found eachother through the forum and decided to rp together. Makes it somewhat easier if you got a person or some people that you already know either somewhat irl and then get to know inrp or already know inrp. To start rping.

So yea, i guess PM or or one of the others if you're intressted or leave a reply here.

Look forward to meeting and talking to anyone intressted.

-Xeon

Okay so, don't mind the awkward, not used to just putting myself out there like this ^^;

I'm Kiit or Kira or Kiitie or weird girl, I respond to them all. :) I'm a 27 yr old woman working on clawing her way out of charlotte atm. I have probably about a decade and a half of RP experience, ranging from LARP, to table top, to interactive table top (long story, ask if you're curious ^.~), and quite a few MMOs.  I've only been involved in FFXIV since Phase 3 beta for ARR but I've been soaking up as much lore as possible to make sure my own little ones fit well into the structure.

If anyone would be interested in working with a mentor with far too much knowledge of FF in general, plenty of time to spare, an avid interest in what others come up with for background stories, etc. I'd be more than happy to volunteer my services. I could probably help in both IC and OOC terms, although my main Kira Fia won't be the nicest IC at first- she has some "issues" to work out ^^;

Send me a PM if interested, or if you wanna talk and get to know me a little better before asking me to adopt you :P

Anyone mentors around Gilgamesh want to help me out, possibly talk outside of game if need be until phase 4 starts? Would love to be in Balmung but have all my friends in Gilgamesh.

My knowledge of RP is essentially what the handbook on these forums discusses, lol.

PM me anytime you want with any questions you have